PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Super Bowl catch, Holmes or Tyree?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Greatest Super Bowl catch, Holmes or Tyree?

Recent Super Bowls have gone down as having 2 of the greatest catches in the league's history. Heading up to this year's super bowl you wonder if somebody will step up and make another spectacular catch late to help decide the contest.

So which one is better in your opinion?

Santonio Holmes, Super Bowl XLIII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__s9ROhDzhQ&feature=related

David Tyree XLII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XeNefwABw

K Train
01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
its holmes....just a masterful display of toe tapping in the endzone, probably one of the hardest thigns to do especially with the game on the line let alone the suoerbowl.

tyree was the game winner for them, but it was mostly credit to eli's broken play...honestly 90% of the WRs in the league just make that catch cleanly without the dramatics off the helmet, not everyone makes the holmes catch though

UKSTEELER
01-26-2012, 10:39 AM
shivvvvvvvers, . . both awesome!! :thinking:

But i'm a steeler fan so Holmes obviously! :helmet:

LatrobePA
01-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Wake and Bake all the way!

Ibleedblk&gld
01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
to touch on what K was saying, Ben also threw that ball over 2 (basically 3) defenders into the perfect spot for holmes to reach up and grab it...and that toe tapping was beautiful

HUNT4SEVEN
01-26-2012, 11:43 AM
its holmes....just a masterful display of toe tapping in the endzone, probably one of the hardest thigns to do especially with the game on the line let alone the suoerbowl.

tyree was the game winner for them, but it was mostly credit to eli's broken play...honestly 90% of the WRs in the league just make that catch cleanly without the dramatics off the helmet, not everyone makes the holmes catch though

What he said:tt02: Tyree was good but it just kept the drive alive then Plax scored the winning TD, Holmes actually WON the game,and it was hard for him to keep both feet in.

SteelDad
01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Holmes IMO. The better question and easier answer is who made the better throw? Ben or Eli?

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Holmes no question and thats not even from a biased POV(if thats possible?). The toe tap in the corner over 3 defenders for the win? AMAZING.

xBlitzBurghx
01-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Holmes and Ben made the better throw. Eli kind of just chucked it up and hoped his receiver made a play lol Ben had to place the ball perfectly in Holmes hands and get it over 3 defenders in the back of the endzone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Big T
01-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Santonio no question about it. Not to mention Ben standing in the pocket, going through read, after read, after read, and making an absolutely perfect throw. IMO Ben was the MVP of that game but Santonio was also very deserving.

Troyisabeast_43
01-26-2012, 04:28 PM
I still remember watching this game at Mullens on the North Side in Pittsburgh across from PNC Park and just remember the atmosphere and the tension in the air during that whole entire last drive after the Cardinals took the lead with the Fitzgerald TD. The celebration when Holmes scored that TD in Mullens that night as Im sure any other place that night was something I will never ever forget. It is by far the greatest Steelers game I have ever watched in my life and I think it will be very very hard to top it. That is why you live as a diehard Steelers fan for your team to make it to the Super Bowl and win it in that sort of fashion that the Steelers won it that season for games like that one against Arizona. I literally had tears in my eyes at the end of that game after the Warner fumble and I knew it was official. Just an unbelievable game and night following the game and the celebration well into the night after the 6th Lombardi win was insane and truly something I will never ever forget as long as I am a Steelers fan. It will be damn hard in my opinion to top that game and the tension and the celebration during it and afterwords it was ****ing awesome...

Nolrog
01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Both were amazing catches, but Tyree's is a bit better. I disagree with K that anyone would have made that catch. The defender had a good slap at the ball and Tyree made a circus catch to keep it from dropping.

The Holmes catch, was fantastic, and really shows what Ben can do if he has the time. That was threading the needle as well as anyone.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Holmes.........

Steelers/PSU Fan
01-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Tyree made a great catch for a bunch of yards, but it wasn't a game winning TD. Has to be Holmes in my book, that catch was awesome.

North Steel
01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Hands down Holmes, both the pass and catch was a thing of absolute beauty.:clap::clap::clap:

MattyVfromCT
01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
santonio without question. santonio's catch was a lot more skill as opposed to tyree's being more flukey. and i'm not bashing tyree's catch it was an incredible play. but realistically you retry tyree's catch 10 times and he'd be lucky to repeat it just once more imo. plus it wasn't a game winning catch. just my :2cents:

Real Deal Steel
01-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Hands down Holmes, both the pass and catch was a thing of absolute beauty.:clap::clap::clap:

Holmes catch was a game winning catch! With only a little time left in the game too. I have to go with Holmes.

Tyree's catch wasn't game deciding.

SnakeEyes43
01-26-2012, 08:17 PM
It's simple. Holmes caught a TD to WIN the game. Tyree's catch was good, but only got a first down.

Holmes by far.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
I think it's Holmes as well. It's even more impressive with him being on the small size.

Being tall you can stretch out more and get your feet down. Santonio was stretching with everything he had and just barely got his toes in.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

Black&Gold Munch
01-26-2012, 08:53 PM
That catch by Santonio was amazing! I still remember not being able to breath until the refs reviewed it and confirmed it was a touchdown! Matt was hyperventilating..HAHA

Steel Trap86
01-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Holmes was our featured target on that drive and the cards knew it. We tried the same ****in' play to homles on the left side before the right side where he caught it for the win and we know the cards knew it was going to Holmes because they had THREE defenders on him when he caught that ball. Perfect placement by Ben and a monster catch by Holmes for the win. Doesn't matter how many arizona fans blew up and analyzed the catch he had both feet in with total possession.

Tyree's catch was just a miracle lol i like both teams and both catches, but Holmes' was the best.

papabaier
01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Both great catches that led to wins - my favorite is HARRISON"S catch and 100 yd return!!!:cope:

MDSteel15
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Tyree was lucky the ball didn't come out when he hit the ground! Skill wise it was the Holmes catch. Ben put that ball in the only spot where only Santonio could get to it! But all I can say is be glad he was wearing tackified gloves!!!

Zachintosh66
01-27-2012, 02:00 PM
honestly:

Best Catch: Holmes
Best Play: Eli getting it to Tyree

Scorp
01-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Holmes' because it was later in the game and it sealed the deal beside stopping the cards on their last possession. Tyree's catch just got em a first down and their was still much time left.