PDA

View Full Version : We'll learn a lot about Big Ben this coming season

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
We're going to learn a lot about Ben Roethlisberger in this coming season. According to an article (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/01/24/arians-says-he-was-forced-to-retire/#.Tx5L2T0pQq0.twitter) written by Steelers writer Mark Kaboly, Bruce Arians was pushed out of Pittsburgh; “When I wasn’t offered a contract, it was an easy decision for me,” This is exactly what we were all thinking was the case either because Mike Tomlin, Art Rooney II or both of them though it was in the best interest of the team to move on. I have no problems with the decision as we've talked about here on SA. The thing that concerns me just a tad, or should I say warrants attention, is this comment by Bruce Arians:

Arians said that Roethlisberger wasn’t happy with the decision.
“He’s not happy, but that’s part of the business,” Arians said. “He is happy for me. He lives around the corner and we’ll still see each other a lot. The phone is always there when he needs me.”
http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/../blog/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gifRoethlisberger and Arians live near one another in Georgia, and actually went to bat for Arians two years ago when his job was in jeopardy again.

I admit when I first read this my thought was, "oh great now every time Ben has a bad game or if he doesn't like the new approach on offense he's going to be calling Arians and say "See Bruce, this wouldn't have happened if you were still here"". It sounds a bit childish yes and Ben is a grown man so he should be able to move past whatever issues he has with the team’s decision to not bring back Bruce. Still though, for me personally I'll be watching this story for the rest of the offseason and as the 2012 campaign gets underway.

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I hope Ben doesn't do that. Because that is sooo unprofessional to say the least. Ben needs to learn that as much as he's acchomplished, he could be better. And he needs to be open in his mind to that. That's the only way he CAN be better.

Whoever the new OC will be, I hope he has the people skills to be able to reach Ben and open that concept up to him. Getting some timing plays in where Ben can get the ball out of his hands and into the hands of those speedy playmakers we have is only going to help Ben.

And once we get the running game back into full effect, I'm sure the combination of these things will help Ben reach new heights. But he has to be open to that idea.

chisteeler
01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Well this is the best test of Ben's career to see how he acts as a leader of this team. He can wine like a little bitch or step up to the plate and welcome in the new OC and lead this team to a great year.

You're call Ben...

HUNT4SEVEN
01-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Arians said that Roethlisberger wasn’t happy with the decision.
“He’s not happy, but that’s part of the business,” Arians said. “He is happy for me. He lives around the corner and we’ll still see each other a lot. The phone is always there when he needs me.”
Roethlisberger and Arians live near one another in Georgia, and actually went to bat for Arians two years ago when his job was in jeopardy again.

IMO he can leave with BA if he's gonna be childish about it, i'm telling yaw the Rooneys are upset with Ben also with his behavior on the field also, if Ben continues to act childish like this, this upcoming season he won't be on the team for long...

I hope Ben doesn't do that. Because that is sooo unprofessional to say the least. Ben needs to learn that as much as he's acchomplished, he could be better. And he needs to be open in his mind to that. That's the only way he CAN be better.

Whoever the new OC will be, I hope he has the people skills to be able to reach/ teach Ben and open that concept up to him. Getting some timing plays in where Ben can get the ball out of his hands and into the hands of those speedy playmakers we have is only going to help Ben.
THIS:plus1:

K Train
01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
imo the best is yet to come....they were boys and all but arians held ben back (and he made the probowl twice) so i think its only going to get better now that the square peg in a round hole master of the universe is out of here

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
That's what I think as well, assuming the coaches bring in the right guy for the job, I'm excited to see what Ben can do in an offense that is balanced. He willed this team to wins so many times I can't even count that high..LOL. Put him in a system where he can get rid of the ball and have some decent protection and he could skyrocket.

That statement by Arians just gave me the creeps..LOL

SuperSteelers
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Big Ben needs to step up no matter who is coaching. Ben has regressed this year and he needs to learn how to throw the ball on timing patterns like the elite QB's in the league. Trust me, Ben is no elite QB. Bad habits will be hard to break. He is what he is which is a run around style QB who only throws it when someone wide open or he thinks they are wide open.

LatrobePA
01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
If Ben wants to get back to the SB he'll have to be more consistant, he was up and down all year. I just hope the new OC can use HIS skills to make a badass playbook!

Ben is his best when he has to leave the pocket, so designed plays that uses this skill set is what I'm thinking!

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
But Ben needs to stop holding the ball so long. If you go back and look at the Browns game where he hurt his ankle, He was out the pocket and didn't let the ball go. Sometimes if the play isn't there, you have to throw the ball away. That game against the Browns cost us a division title.

The new OC has to teach him to let the ball go and move on to the next play.

LatrobePA
01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
He is constantly beating off defenders..

TampaSteelGirl
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
imo the best is yet to come....they were boys and all but arians held ben back (and he made the probowl twice) so i think its only going to get better now that the square peg in a round hole master of the universe is out of here

Agreed!!! :yellowthumb:

Scorp
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
I'll always remember Ben saying he wants one more championship than Terry. I want to see Ben win em all with the Steelers. I hope Ben just moves forward and puts the whole Arians deal behind him with the understanding that these type of things come with the business. Ben is going to have to get used to the changes and roll with the punches and play the best to his ability. He needs to know he can always be better than what he is.

Troyisabeast_43
01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I think Ben will be fine and once the new offensive coordinator is hired and the Steelers get into mini-camps in the Spring and Ben settles in with the new coordinator this story with BA will be a non-issue. At some point though whether Ben is still pissed off or doesnt like the decision to get rid of Arians he has to get over it and move on because he has a responsibility to Steelers fans who support him week in and week out and help pay his 100 million dollar contract and a job to do and that's win football games not worry about Bruce Arians and his situation. It is what it is at this point and Ben needs to get over his obsession with Arians and move on and start getting prepared to have a better 2012 season...

connecticutsteel
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Winning cures everything . If we win Ben will forget all about BA .Always remember the only thing that welcomes change is a baby with a loaded diaper.so lets not make drama where there isn't any

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Winning cures everything . If we win Ben will forget all about BA .Always remember the only thing that welcomes change is a baby with a loaded diaper.so lets not make drama where there isn't any

But to win, there has to be trusting in your OC's methods and philosophy. But your right
about nobody wanting change. Until they see the change was good.

Stone
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Let's consider a couple scenarios here:
1. Arians is as bad at interviews as he is at game plans?
2. Maybe Ben is not happy because of the way the season ended (context)
3. If Ben was really that strongly in Arians corner, then one of two things is reality....take your pick:

A. The rest of the offense agrees with Ben and we (the rest of the world) are all wrong about Arians?

or

B. The rest of the offense knows that Arians sucks and Ben is an island on this team?

DIESELMAN
01-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Ben still has some maturing to do, with 1. His play on the field, meaning he has that "I have to put the team on my back mentality and make the plays to win the game. He needs to change that attitude, an attitude that BA helped create. There are other skill players on offense that can help the offense if better utilized. That was part of BA's problem, he didn't game plan for the talent and strengths we have on offense. And 2. With his relationships with the coaching staff. I never liked how tight Ben and BA were, they both crossed the line of professionalism when they became that close, it can cause friction that we will never hear or know about. Getting a new OC like other people have said will be a big maturity test for Ben in how he handles being told what to do and when to do it.

Goodfrom55
01-24-2012, 08:00 PM
The next 5 years 30-35 are typically the best of a QB's career so Ben had better not allow himself to be "unhappy". Be a leader. The measure of a man is not how he celebrates success, but how he handles adversity and challenges.