PDA

View Full Version : Art Rooney's relationship with Mike Tomlin...

Troyisabeast_43
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
With Rooney making this final decision overuling Tomlin and stepping in for him with the Arians situation you have to wonder about how comfortable Art Rooney is at this point and time with Mike Tomlin and the direction this team is headed in the future with Tomlin. I dont think Art Rooney is in love with Mike Tomlin as we all like to think and if Tomlin continues to have epic meltdowns in the playoffs like he has had the last 2 seasons with the Super Bowl loss and with the loss to Denver Tomlin will be the next one put on notice in the not too distant future. Maybe I am overreacting a bit here but at this point I dont see Mike Tomlin being the coach of the Steelers as long as Bill Cowher was I just dont see it at this point until things change the next few seasons then maybe I will change my mind...

steelers75
01-23-2012, 10:05 PM
"Epic meltdowns in the playoffs?" How many AFC Championship Games did Cowher lose at home again? And there was DEFINITELY never any love lost between Cowher and Art II, and that is more than just the conjecture you're offering here about Tomlin's position with Art II - that's a verifiable fact.

IOW, yes, I'd say you're overreacting.

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd say Mike's leash just got a lot shorter. His problem is he's afraid to make changes and or to upset players/ coaches... IMO the dude has no marbles!

SteelCityVoice
01-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Losing to a better Packers team in the Super Bowl is hardly a meltdown. Losing to the Broncos might be one except we were missing half our starters.

I am confident in the direction this team is headed under Mike Tomlin. He's already been to two Super Bowls in his young career, winning one of them.

Just kind of shows you how some Steeler fans have been spoiled by success.

K Train
01-23-2012, 10:57 PM
packers werent better last year, they had so many guys out and were barely a wc team

that being said i love art II, the shorter leash tomlin is on the better

xBlitzBurghx
01-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Tomlins a puss

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

cmerrifield
01-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Tomlin likes consistency. His view is that it doesnt matter what play is called, we should impose our will on the other team. Tomlin's view would be that the other team could know what's coming and the Steelers should still be successful. Rooney had nothing to do with Tomlin's BA decision, read Ed Bouchette today. He said Tomlin wasnt going to the wall for anyone and made the decision himself. Art Rooney may not like MT, but Dan Rooney is coming back and this the guy who kept Noll in the 80's and Cowher in the late 90's early 2000's. Tomlin is a good coach who is still learning. The fact that he allows his OC and DC run their respective units is not a weakness, it is his style. Cowher was a control freak and called everything, Tomlin is the exact opposite, there is nothing wrong with that.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-23-2012, 11:13 PM
We gave the sh&! Packers that Superbowl, Tomlin never had any power it's obvious, he was handed Bill Cowards staff and players and was told to win a Championship,i think Rooney is frustrated with what has happen the last two years with the team, i bet he doesn't like Ben that much any more either because he fired BA even after listening to pleas from Ben...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7489906/pittsburgh-steelers-chose-not-keep-bruce-arians-bucking-ben-roethlisberger-sources-say

connecticutsteel
01-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Tomlin is a good coach every thing he does is magnified 1000 times cause of the teams tradition . Things are fine in Steelerville . Yes we fell short this year but honestly sometimes i don't mind so much cause we get to pick higher

K Train
01-24-2012, 12:29 AM
We gave the sh&! Packers that Superbowl, Tomlin never had any power it's obvious, he was handed Bill Cowards staff and players and was told to win a Championship,i think Rooney is frustrated with what has happen the last two years with the team, i bet he doesn't like Ben that much any more either because he fired BA even after listening to pleas from Ben...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7489906/pittsburgh-steelers-chose-not-keep-bruce-arians-bucking-ben-roethlisberger-sources-say

tomlin is a better coach than cowher, just not the motivator or personality

NYCsteelersfan
01-24-2012, 12:31 AM
"Epic meltdowns in the playoffs?" How many AFC Championship Games did Cowher lose at home again? And there was DEFINITELY never any love lost between Cowher and Art II, and that is more than just the conjecture you're offering here about Tomlin's position with Art II - that's a verifiable fact

Stop mentioning how many AFC Championship games Cowher lost without naming the quarterbacks he lost those games with, you idiot.

How much does Omar Epps pay you to pop up every time someone says something bad about him? Or are you him? You have the juice?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2012, 12:36 AM
With Rooney making this final decision overuling Tomlin and stepping in for him with the Arians situation you have to wonder about how comfortable Art Rooney is at this point and time with Mike Tomlin and the direction this team is headed in the future with Tomlin. I dont think Art Rooney is in love with Mike Tomlin as we all like to think and if Tomlin continues to have epic meltdowns in the playoffs like he has had the last 2 seasons with the Super Bowl loss and with the loss to Denver Tomlin will be the next one put on notice in the not too distant future. Maybe I am overreacting a bit here but at this point I dont see Mike Tomlin being the coach of the Steelers as long as Bill Cowher was I just dont see it at this point until things change the next few seasons then maybe I will change my mind...

Bouchette wrote today that the decision to let Arians go was Tomlin's. Even though Rooney II was not happy with the state of the offense, Tomlin did not step up to defend BA before he was let go. Now had he done that I'm pretty sure that Art would have overruled him given his comments about wanting to get back to a more traditional running game.

I think overall the front office is ok with Tomlin at this point but he's got a lot of work to do; like getting his game planning better for one.

elephantman
01-24-2012, 12:37 AM
about 29 teams wish they had our problems...I like the direction were going and the Offense has a Lot of potential....even the D was #1 in the league...we just needed to generate Turnovers.....but if the defense gives up an extra 5 points a game next yr, I still like our chances with our Very YOUNG Offense....just gotta patch up the O line and we got 2 good young guys there so far

Destossel
01-24-2012, 12:38 AM
You guys need a reality check. Look at all the teams that have no hope of making the playoffs ( Cleveland comes to mind ). Detroit had not been in since the 90's. San Fran had not been in for years. Cincinatti has not won a playoff game in almost 20 years.

Spolied arm chair GMs. Seriously. Tomlin is not perfect. Cowher was a bridesmaid for so many years it was unreal. I loved the chin but I got sick of his inability to win the big one.

12-4 and some of you would fire Tomlin, Big Ben, Jesus, Mary and Joseph if you could. Thank God the Rooneys understand consistantcy and dont knee jerk after every season.

NYCsteelersfan
01-24-2012, 12:46 AM
You guys need a reality check. Look at all the teams that have no hope of making the playoffs ( Cleveland comes to mind ). Detroit had not been in since the 90's. San Fran had not been in for years. Cincinatti has not won a playoff game in almost 20 years.

Spolied arm chair GMs. Seriously. Tomlin is not perfect. Cowher was a bridesmaid for so many years it was unreal. I loved the chin but I got sick of his inability to win the big one.

12-4 and some of you would fire Tomlin, Big Ben, Jesus, Mary and Joseph if you could. Thank God the Rooneys understand consistantcy and dont knee jerk after every season.

12-4 is not so impressive given the fact that a great defense and a top five quarterback was in place before he ever got here.

Cowher lost one big game once he had Roethlisberger and that was in his rookie season to the Superbowl champions. Irrespective of how bad other teams may be, losing to Jacksonville and Denver in the first round, and losing like the team was completely unprepared, is downright pathetic.

K Train
01-24-2012, 12:50 AM

pretty much this. i think tomlin needs to draft better but i like him alright

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Quite frankly I hope it was Tomlin's decision to fire BA, it should be his decision to make. If the GM or club owner does it and the HC disagrees, then who is running the team? A lot of people can rightfully say BA was not all that bad, he consistently got us to the playoffs, which is what the team is supposed to do. I believe where he was lacking was there was no improvement. Given the weapons he had, more was expected then the 21st ranked offense we had. If there had been improvement in the offenses number of say a top ten ranking BA would probably still be here...

NYCsteelersfan
01-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Given the weapons he had, more was expected then the 21st ranked offense we had. If there had been improvement in the offenses number of say a top ten ranking BA would probably still be here...

I think more than anything else, our offense always looked like $hit against teams that actually had a defense, and yet we wouldn't light up teams that didn't have one.

This point was never more clear than in the playoffs. Without the Harrison fumble return and the final scoring drive that was all Roethlisberger, Miller, and Holmes, the offense scored 13 on a miserable Arizona defense.

NHSteeler
01-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Agreed. I don't know if it's totally BA's fault, but the offense never seemed to have rhythm consistenly.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Art to MT: get it together or get. 2012 is either going to be a block buster year or... I don't want to see the or...

TampaSteelGirl
01-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Listen......if we were a 6-10 team then I could see this post...we were ridden with horrible injuries. We had a lockout and players were not able to work out as a team, conditioning as a team sucked.

You're acting like we didn't make the playoffs and had a horrible season...we had alot of obstacles, so did alot of the teams in the NFL..lets face it with all the injuries we were not going any further in the playoffs...it is what it is.

I don't feel this is any reflection on Tomlin's coaching skills and I'm sure Mr Rooney has full confidence in Tomlin..where did you read that the Rooney's overstepped Tomlin about BA?

I think considering we started our season with a lockout and we had alot of injuries, we had a great season and made the playoffs...may not have turned out they way we all wanted it to but we are all spoiled Steelers fans. We make the playoffs more than any other team in the NFL...I'm proud of them and looking foward to this season!!! :tt02::tt02:

Nolrog
01-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Let's fire the coach that took us to 2 super bowls, has never had a non-winning record, is 30 games over .500 in his HC career after only 5 seasons.

Wow, just wow. SMH

coldrolled
01-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Arians is gone... let see how this team does now.

Tomlin just had his rosy colored lenses cleaned.

Stone
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome to actually "know" some of the stuff we all "assume"?

SteelDad
01-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Tomlin's problem is that he has not been able to find balance between making tough decisions and staying loyal to players and coaches. Frankly, I hope he is the one that sent BA packing. Just wish he would say that. At the very least it sends a message that a lot of us were wondering about... Just who calls the shots on this team?

With the turnover this team is about to undertake we will find out just how good Mike Tomlin is as a coach and judge of talent he is. The guy obviously knows what he is doing to a certain extent. I don't care how much talent you inherit, you still have to coach it and send the right messages and to this point Tomlin has done that.

K Train
01-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Let's fire the coach that took us to 2 super bowls, has never had a non-winning record, is 30 games over .500 in his HC career after only 5 seasons.

Wow, just wow. SMH

no one is calling for his head, but the pressure will always be on him and the less comfortable he gets the better.

coughlin is a prime example...his head has been on the chopping block for many years including this one after a huge losing streak and look at him now. imo all pro coaches need a sense of urgency

tomlin is a good coach, letting him go hed be the biggest name out there

Stone
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Tomlin isn't going anywhere. He is in the infancy of being the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers and let's hope he keeps learning from his mistakes (Arians) and always understand the ultimate goal (winning super bowls)

NHSteeler
01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Tomlin's problem is that he has not been able to find balance between making tough decisions and staying loyal to players and coaches. Frankly, I hope he is the one that sent BA packing. Just wish he would say that. At the very least it sends a message that a lot of us were wondering about... Just who calls the shots on this team?

With the turnover this team is about to undertake we will find out just how good Mike Tomlin is as a coach and judge of talent he is. The guy obviously knows what he is doing to a certain extent. I don't care how much talent you inherit, you still have to coach it and send the right messages and to this point Tomlin has done that.

Art Rooney II calls the shots on this team. I'm okay with that for now (just stay off the sidelines and stay out of the draft ala Jerry Jones). Cowher had alot of say in the second half of his career after he EARNED IT. Tomlin hasn't earned it YET. With that said...I'm sure Art and Colbert take Tomlin's input seriously.

Tomlin is still growing and maturing as a coach. Give him credit for not tearing the team up when he first got here. But once Hines, Farrior, etc... (and maybe Lebeau) are gone, this is truly his team.

BTW...does anyone else like it when Art II gives a statment on the state of the Steelers at the end of the year and makes subtle suggestions/opinions.

I do. :helmet:

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
about 29 teams wish they had our problems...I like the direction were going and the Offense has a Lot of potential....even the D was #1 in the league...we just needed to generate Turnovers.....but if the defense gives up an extra 5 points a game next yr, I still like our chances with our Very YOUNG Offense....just gotta patch up the O line and we got 2 good young guys there so far

We are spoiled. That is very much true. Our problems are nowhere near the problems of 25 other teams.

I feel better now about Tomlin because I was worried he didn't have the nuts to fire Arians when in fact, he felt it was time for Arians to move on. It's obvious that Tomlin still has a couple of things to learn but he's learning. And that's great going forward. He's not Cowher so he isn't the motivator Cowher was but he does deligate better then Cowher. And in today's NFL, that's very important.

I think going forward, you'll see Tomlin demand more, be a little more maticulus, but still trust the people who he deligates power to. And that is what he needs to be a better coach.

Let's get that O-line, D-line together, have better health at the end of the season and we will be just fine at season's end. :yellowthumb:

And our coach will be better too.

Scorp
01-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Things could very well get alot better now. Someone had to step up and make these changes once and for all and address them to let the organization know that winning is the only thing that will be accepted and anything less will get you a pink slip. No more messing around. The Rooney's know the Steelers should have had their 7th Championship at this point. We, as fans also know they should have their 7th. I got a very good feeling things are going to be much better.

Troyisabeast_43
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Tomlin's clock management and his usage of knowing when to call timeouts at the end of the half or at the end of the game MUST get better because it was down right horrific this season and was bad going all the way back to last season and the Super Bowl. Im not suggesting by any stretch that Mike Tomlin is going to get fired or should be fired all I am saying is even though the team went 12-4 this season and made the playoffs it was still a flawed 12-4 record in my opinion and the team took a few steps backward this season from the Super Bowl season they had just 12 months ago. The Steelers despite having a 12-4 record still blew numerous opportunities this season to win the AFC North and get the number 1 overall seed in the playoffs. Had they been able to win just one game against the Harbaugh's both games with the Ravens or one game against the 49ers the Steelers would have won the AFC North and would have been the number 1 seed and had homefield throughout and who knows maybe we would be the ones on here now talking about playing the Giants or whoever in the Super Bowl in 2 weeks in Indy. But it didnt work out that way this season as the Steelers had a season full of missed opportunities they simply failed to take advantage of.

The bottom line is next season the Steelers need to find a way to win these big games that they lost this season that would have put them in better position to win the division and get either homefield throughout or the bye week in the playoffs. More importantly they need to find a way to beat the Ravens who they lost too twice this season which is unacceptable in my opinion and cannot happen again next season if the Steelers hope to once again have a legit shot to win the AFC North. It all starts and ends with Mike Tomlin and how he handles things this off-season personel wise and who the Steelers keep and let go. The Steelers despite being a little bit older still have enough talent and a better overall team then the Ravens I believe to still be able to overtake them next season once again for this division if they do a few more things better and differently.

TampaSteelGirl
01-24-2012, 04:22 PM
We are spoiled. That is very much true. Our problems are nowhere near the problems of 25 other teams.

I feel better now about Tomlin because I was worried he didn't have the nuts to fire Arians when in fact, he felt it was time for Arians to move on. It's obvious that Tomlin still has a couple of things to learn but he's learning. And that's great going forward. He's not Cowher so he isn't the motivator Cowher was but he does deligate better then Cowher. And in today's NFL, that's very important.

I think going forward, you'll see Tomlin demand more, be a little more maticulus, but still trust the people who he deligates power to. And that is what he needs to be a better coach.

Let's get that O-line, D-line together, have better health at the end of the season and we will be just fine at season's end. :yellowthumb:

And our coach will be better too.

Love this post here :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Tomlin's clock management and his usage of knowing when to call timeouts at the end of the half or at the end of the game MUST get better because it was down right horrific this season and was bad going all the way back to last season and the Super Bowl. Im not suggesting by any stretch that Mike Tomlin is going to get fired or should be fired all I am saying is even though the team went 12-4 this season and made the playoffs it was still a flawed 12-4 record in my opinion and the team took a few steps backward this season from the Super Bowl season they had just 12 months ago. The Steelers despite having a 12-4 record still blew numerous opportunities this season to win the AFC North and get the number 1 overall seed in the playoffs. Had they been able to win just one game against the Harbaugh's both games with the Ravens or one game against the 49ers the Steelers would have won the AFC North and would have been the number 1 seed and had homefield throughout and who knows maybe we would be the ones on here now talking about playing the Giants or whoever in the Super Bowl in 2 weeks in Indy. But it didnt work out that way this season as the Steelers had a season full of missed opportunities they simply failed to take advantage of.

The bottom line is next season the Steelers need to find a way to win these big games that they lost this season that would have put them in better position to win the division and get either homefield throughout or the bye week in the playoffs. More importantly they need to find a way to beat the Ravens who they lost too twice this season which is unacceptable in my opinion and cannot happen again next season if the Steelers hope to once again have a legit shot to win the AFC North. It all starts and ends with Mike Tomlin and how he handles things this off-season personel wise and who the Steelers keep and let go. The Steelers despite being a little bit older still have enough talent and a better overall team then the Ravens I believe to still be able to overtake them next season once again for this division if they do a few more things better and differently.

That's the big key for next year. The Steelers seem to always play a significant number of close games and timeouts along with clock management can be a killer. You would think after so many years with the team now it would get better but it just stays status quo year in and year out.

We can all feel a little bit better knowing that he was willing to make the tough call and let Arians walk, now the next step is whoever he hires, making sure they get a balanced offense.

I think we are spoiled having the Rooney's as owners of the team, they are without a doubt the class of all sports team owners.

Goodfrom55
01-24-2012, 07:57 PM

If Cowher can survive multiple AFCCG chokes, then Tomlin gets a pass here. Tomlin does need to learn how to make decisions though and accept that sometimes the status quo is not acceptable.