PDA

View Full Version : Draft comparison Hightower vs Burfict

connecticutsteel
01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Dont'a Hightower - A redshirt junior completed his 4th season for the crimson tide.Half way through the 2009 season he tore his ACL for which he recieved a medical redshirt.the injuryhasn't seemed to affect his game . He runs a 4.6 40 at 6'4" he has a great combination of size and speed .He is no doubt a late 1st round pick that would fit perfectly into potsie's role in the middle.An absoulte hammer

Vontaze Burfict is a true junior at Arizona State .At 6'3" 250 he excels in traffic because of his ability to shed blockers.He has enough lateral quickness to be effective in underneath zone coverage but will struggle in man to man.In the past he has struggled to keep a level head on the field and has shown bursts of immaturity.With the right coach and some veteran guidance he will become a useful pro.

JensK
01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
I probably like Vontaze Burfict over Hightower, but I would be happy with either. Burfict would bring a true mean presences at MLB which we could use.

connecticutsteel
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Jensk what brought you to that conclusion Hightower has played in the SEC that is the conference with the highest level of competition. Burfict is in the PAC 10 which is pretty weak:imho:
plus he has terrible instincts and often free lances doesn't follow assignments and gets caught out of position if that happens in college it will happen on the field i would take him but not in the first rd

JensK
01-23-2012, 05:06 PM
I honestly don't buy into the whole competition thing. Surely, it does count but neither players are used to the level they will face in the NFL. I just like the will Burfict brings to the table. He is just a nasty player with a mean streak, which is something I'd love to get on our defense a little more then what we have now. But as I said, I like both of them so I would be happy either way.

K Train
01-23-2012, 05:39 PM
be very very surprised f hightower runs lower than a 4.9

taze is a monster...best MLB since willis, not the athlete by any means but very close to the football player. hes a monster in traffic, sheds blocks like hes covered in grease, is a violent hitter (absoultely buries the ball carrier) and maturity issues or not i want a MLB that is ****ing insane on the field.

hightower is very slow off the snap but would be good next to timmons in that he has the size that timmons lacked his first few years...he can play insider (and is a good blitzer from that spot), outside in a pinch, and even DE on passing downs...good fit for the steelers but not quite as good as taze who is a top 10 talent but a 4th round brain (which doesnt matter to me)

JensK
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Its funny with both Hightower and Burfict. They can both tremendously help their draft position during the combine and pro-days. They could both potentially go in top 20, but they could also easily fall out of the first round all together. I'm not sold on Hightower as a first round talent yet, and he'll have to prove that he have the necessary speed. I actually think he'll surprise, but time will tell I suppose. Burfict is just a monster and he'll own the combine and his pro-days, but he'll have to make sure his agent prepares him incredible well for the interviews. If he comes through them, I just can't see how a team won't pick him in the first round. Teams such as Steelers, Ravens or Giants could be perfect places for him to land.

connecticutsteel
01-23-2012, 10:17 PM
be very very surprised f hightower runs lower than a 4.9

taze is a monster...best MLB since willis, not the athlete by any means but very close to the football player. hes a monster in traffic, sheds blocks like hes covered in grease, is a violent hitter (absoultely buries the ball carrier) and maturity issues or not i want a MLB that is ****ing insane on the field.

hightower is very slow off the snap but would be good next to timmons in that he has the size that timmons lacked his first few years...he can play insider (and is a good blitzer from that spot), outside in a pinch, and even DE on passing downs...good fit for the steelers but not quite as good as taze who is a top 10 talent but a 4th round brain (which doesnt matter to me)

I guess i'm just not sure the Steelers will take anyone with problems given the recent problems with Holmes,Mendenhall,Ben,Harrison
No way Hightower runs a 4.9 4.6 is more his neiborhood

cmerrifield
01-24-2012, 09:04 AM
In the past he has struggled to keep a level head on the field and has shown bursts of immaturity.With the right coach and some veteran guidance he will become a useful pro.

That translates into not on Tomlin's draft board.

K Train
01-24-2012, 10:35 AM
I guess i'm just not sure the Steelers will take anyone with problems given the recent problems with Holmes,Mendenhall,Ben,Harrison

he just doesnt have the explosion to run that kind of time....hes much more in the realm of brandon spikes in terms of speed, he is pretty slow off the snap when you watch him and a 4.6 at 265 im buying into him 100%

K Train
01-24-2012, 10:37 AM
That translates into not on Tomlin's draft board.

SO OVERBLOWN. the man gets treated like a criminal for some unneccsary roughness penalties, hes an emotional player....this would be a good team for him to go to. if not im sure the ravens will scoop him :banging:

cmerrifield
01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
SO OVERBLOWN. the man gets treated like a criminal for some unneccsary roughness penalties, hes an emotional player....this would be a good team for him to go to. if not im sure the ravens will scoop him :banging:

Not saying I agree in this case, but Tomlin wants character guys with high motors, the rest is teachable according to Tomlin.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

K Train
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
hes not a bad character guy. that is one of the most overrated aspects of the draft process, hes completely insane on the field and may need some what of a leash but "bad character" is such a vague term now i really dont think he fits that bill

he also has a relentless motor

Number99
01-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I would like to see either on the Steelers. I'd prefer to have Burfict just because of his mean streak. Even though Hightower may not be the fastest he certainly can play the run. And if he were to get drafted and the Steelers use him in that fashion that would free up Timmons to be more of a rush/cover/chase ILB. Now given the speech that Rooney gave after the season was over either of these players would have to be drafted in the 2nd round, which is not impossible but somehow I dont think either will be there by pick 57. It's very likely our first will be some sort of OG or OT. But when it comes to the Steelers drafting they never seem to do what most people think.

connecticutsteel
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
He couldn't get into USC because of his grades that's how he ended up at ASU .I would love to have him on the team but 2 things wwill happen on draft day #1 he will be gone by #24 or we will pick someone else instead of him because Tomlin thinks he knows bestand the Ravens will take him and he will terroize ben for ever

JollyRob68
02-08-2012, 05:19 AM
TAZ= We need some Nasty back on DEFENSE.

OldSchool58
02-08-2012, 08:11 AM
TAZ= We need some Nasty back on DEFENSE.

I agree. Besides Harrison, who else have you seen on our D that stays pissed off and goes head hunting on every play?

But, the way Goodell's new "kinder" "gentler" NFL is shaping up, can we really afford to have another killer on D?...........Honestly, at this point I'm ready for the Steelers to turn into the 70's Raiders. We already have 6 rings, lets just go out there and kill people and get our reputation back.

K Train
02-08-2012, 08:20 AM
He couldn't get into USC because of his grades that's how he ended up at ASU .I would love to have him on the team but 2 things wwill happen on draft day #1 he will be gone by #24 or we will pick someone else instead of him because Tomlin thinks he knows bestand the Ravens will take him and he will terroize ben for ever

i dont really care about his grades though, harrison could even write his own name

JensK
02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Its so hard to tell where they will end right now, both of them. I see mocks with both out of the first round and I see mocks with TAZ going in top 15. Others again have Hightower ahead of taz.. damn you combine, where be!!!?!?

Number99
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Either would be acceptable but I like Burfict more. He's more athletic and nastier. And I'd rather see him in Black and Gold then fairy purple.

K Train
02-08-2012, 11:57 AM
i would just like them to take taze as a preventative measure to keep him away from the ravens...but he may be the BPA or he may not be, we'll see.

workouts are gonna be huger for both players

JollyRob68
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Either would be acceptable but I like Burfict more. He's more athletic and nastier. And I'd rather see him in Black and Gold then fairy purple.

:cope: I agree. The LB's are the heart & soul of the Defense and were way past due for some new blood. However, Id also take Audie Cole in the 3rd.

What do you guys think about taking a Starting Center in the 1st or 2nd and moving Pouncey to Guard?

K Train
02-08-2012, 02:44 PM
:cope: I agree. The LB's are the heart & soul of the Defense and were way past due for some new blood. However, Id also take Audie Cole in the 3rd.

What do you guys think about taking a Starting Center in the 1st or 2nd and moving Pouncey to Guard?

ive suggested that several times. I dont think they would ever move pouncey at this point, but you turn a probowl center into a HOF caliber guard by moving him 1 spot to the left.

i also wouldnt mind them drafting Glenn in one and Osemele/washington in 2...that would make pouncey look like a midget on the line but he would DESTROY the second level with mauling guards like that on heach side

Starks/glenn/pouncey/osemele/gilbert
Adams/washington/pouncey/colon/gilbert
starks/glenn/pouncey/colon/gilbert
gilbert/pouncey/konz/foster/colon
gilbert/glenn/pouncey/brewster/colon

all look like great olines to me

connecticutsteel
02-25-2012, 04:28 AM
i think the raven's will draft heavy offense

connecticutsteel
02-28-2012, 01:54 AM

be very very surprised f hightower runs lower than a 4.9Quote from k-train ) yeay i was right for once i still have the utmost respect for Ktrain
4.6 i hit it on the nose

K Train
02-28-2012, 09:49 AM
as soon as i saw that i just said ive seen enough, im sold.

after he got hurt his explosion was way down and he just looked dismally slow off the ball, but a 4.6 at 260 is amazing. Hes now my #1 LB as taze just plummets into nothingness. Hightower would be a stud MLB but could play like adalius thomas and just line up everywhere on defense.

connecticutsteel
02-28-2012, 01:17 PM
as soon as i saw that i just said ive seen enough, im sold.

after he got hurt his explosion was way down and he just looked dismally slow off the ball, but a 4.6 at 260 is amazing. Hes now my #1 LB as taze just plummets into nothingness. Hightower would be a stud MLB but could play like adalius thomas and just line up everywhere on defense.

Taze gave up after he blew the 40 he sulked my buddy was on the field and he said that burfict was sulking telling people to wait for his pro day and that he was the best lb on the field.perfect for baltimore

coach
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
I thought Taze was the faster of the two as he does react so quickly. I really wanted Poe to fall but I don't eve hold out any hope for that now. I have feeling that a couple of ILBs will fall because the DTs are so stocked this year. What do you guys think of Luke K if both he and Hightower are there?

connecticutsteel
02-28-2012, 05:59 PM
I thought Taze was the faster of the two as he does react so quickly. I really wanted Poe to fall but I don't eve hold out any hope for that now. I have feeling that a couple of ILBs will fall because the DTs are so stocked this year. What do you guys think of Luke K if both he and Hightower are there?

what were you looking at i'm talking about 40 times burfict is slower than poe look it up

JensK
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
I think Taze will avenge himself somewhat at his proday. At least enough to make a team want him anywhere between the 2nd and the 5th round. I'd be all for picking him up at like 3rd or 4th. Sure, he is somewhat of a project but I still truly believes he can be a great player if put in the right situation.

connecticutsteel
02-29-2012, 06:25 AM
I think Taze will avenge himself somewhat at his proday. At least enough to make a team want him anywhere between the 2nd and the 5th round. I'd be all for picking him up at like 3rd or 4th. Sure, he is somewhat of a project but I still truly believes he can be a great player if put in the right situation.

bum bum

coach
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
what were you looking at i'm talking about 40 times burfict is slower than poe look it up

I guess I didn't write it out correctly. When I watched Taze, he appeared to be faster than Hightower in the games. I didn't know what either of them ran in the 40 until the combine. I was actually surprised. I am not at all disappointed either, though. I think Hightower is more likely to be drafted in round 1 for the Steelers than Burfict with his off-field concerns.

K Train
02-29-2012, 02:38 PM
taze doesnt have off field concerns, his off field concerns are entirely on the field

very disappointed in him not testing better though

connecticutsteel
02-29-2012, 04:10 PM
They were talking about Burfict's weight on nfl network and how he slowed down when he got heavier that's what happens when you have the munchies and no practice lol

connecticutsteel
02-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Let the Ravens have him but i think they are going to take a o-lineman or a big reciever

connecticutsteel
03-21-2012, 03:16 AM
UPDATE: Burfict bombed during his pro day shocking scouts by refusing to run a 40 yd dash 4.65 short shuttle which is terrible in comparison 4.65 would be the worst time at the combine.He is also listed at 6'3" he is actually 6'1" 245 his 40 time at the combine was the slowest of all linebackers tested.It was also slower than 36 of the 48 defensive linemen at the combine and lastly he only was able to do 16 reps at 225(I'M 43 AND I CAN DO 16) word amongst nfl scouts is he has gone from alock top 25 pick and possible second coming of lawrence Taylor to and undrafted afterthough

igor0190
03-21-2012, 01:05 PM
How the heck does this happen to a guy? He obviously just flat out didn't prepare or workout prior to his pro day

connecticutsteel
03-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Stuff like this happens in various degrees to prima donnas . His whole life he never had to prove himself to anyone he just got by on his talent alone .Unfortunatly in the NFL that doesn't work .I have seen first hand how this happens Burfict is the type of player who thinks he doesn't need to practice .He just wants to play the game on Sunday without working.Eventually these players are exposed and the natural culling process weeds them out .

coldrolled
03-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Ravens News on ILB's replacing Lewis

The Ravens have the 29th pick in the first round, and by that point, Kiper expects the top inside linebackers to be off the board.

Kiper has Boston College’s Luke Kuechly and Alabama’s Dont’a Hightower as his top two inside linebackers, but he doesn’t expect either to be available when the Ravens draft in the first round.

Kuechly, who will compete for scouts again today at Boston College’s pro day, is expected by many to get drafted in the first 15 picks, but a recent mock draft from National Football Post has Kuechly falling to the Ravens in the first round. That mock draft is an outlier to the others, as most draft experts expect Kuechly to go earlier.

It’s more of a guessing game whether Hightower will last through the first round. Some mock drafts have the Ravens taking him at No. 29, and if Hightower falls to Baltimore, then Kiper thinks he could be a candidate to step in for Lewis when he retires.

“He could be a 3-4 inside linebacker; there’s a lot of roles he could play,” Kiper said about Hightower. “Not many 265-pound linebackers can run and get the job done like he can.”

If Kuechly and Hightower are both gone before the Ravens pick in the first round, then Kiper doesn’t see a natural fit at linebacker in the next few rounds for the Ravens.

“I don’t see any other options early, because most of these guys are going to go at points where it’s not going to make a lot of sense,” Kiper said.

Later in the draft, the Ravens may have an option in Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

connecticutsteel
03-23-2012, 10:32 AM
WE BETTER TAKE hIGHTOWER IF HE IS THERE.I'll take him even if Poe is there

HUNT4SEVEN
03-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Maybe we can get en both! Hightower 1st round and Burfict 4th round wouldn't that be nice:stirpot:

Deviouz1
03-23-2012, 10:04 PM
very. i was just thinking the same thing.