PDA

View Full Version : It's Got to Be Caldwell

SteelDad
01-23-2012, 10:37 AM
If it isn't former Colts HC Jim Caldwell coming in as our new OC then who else could it possibly be? If it were staying in house then why wouldn't the team have already promoted Fichtner? Why the delay? Even Peter King is leaning towards this....

8. Pittsburgh (12-5). Mike Tomlin (secondary) and Jim Caldwell (quarterbacks) coached together at Tampa Bay under Tony Dungy in Dungy's last season with the Bucs, 2001, if you're looking for a clue on the next offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/23/super.bowl.xlvi.matchup/index.html#ixzz1kIQGhxiS

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2012, 10:45 AM
I would say that you aren't going to pull the trigger in firing your offensive coordinator unless you have someone else in mind. That's normally the case, but the thoughts that Art II forced this one on Tomlin maybe lead them to look elsewhere like Caldwell for example.

Kirby Wilson would have probably had this one in the bag if not for the tragedy occuring in his life right now. Fichtner will get his interview and logically it makes sense from an inhouse standpoint. If Rooney was the driving force behind this, and it appears that he was, then he might feel that Fichtner is too much like Arians and wants a fresh perspective.

The thing that makes me question Caldwell is that he's not exactly had a stellar running game with the Colts over the years. It's been all Peyton Manning, and rightfully so. However if the Steelers want to get back to more of a running type of offense, is Caldwell really the right guy for the job...

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Train called it, Tom Moore was their OC regardless of what label the guy wore. I personally don't care for Caldwell he seems too relaxed!

K Train
01-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Seriously Caldwell getting credit for the colts offense pre-caldwell head coaching is ridiculous, he was a minimal part of that team, a QB coach for the smartest QB in football, peyton probbaly taught caldwell more than caldwell taught him.

It has to be Clements or Haley if im making this call, this is a huge opening to a franchise thats a perennial contender and has front office stability, i cant understand why this opening isnt getting more attention.

i for one will be pissed if its caldwell

Real Deal Steel
01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Train called it, Tom Moore was their OC regardless of what label the guy wore. I personally don't care for Caldwell he seems too relaxed!

I agree. But Caldwell is the kind of guy who also won't make waves. Because it's apparent that Tomlin doesn't call the shots and they may want another guy who's
submissive too.

coldrolled
01-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Seriously Caldwell getting credit for the colts offense pre-caldwell head coaching is ridiculous, he was a minimal part of that team, a QB coach for the smartest QB in football, peyton probbaly taught caldwell more than caldwell taught him.

It has to be Clements or Haley if im making this call, this is a huge opening to a franchise thats a perennial contender and has front office stability, i cant understand why this opening isnt getting more attention.

Who are the Steelers :thinking:

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 11:27 AM
We need a tsunami not waves IMO... If Tomlin doesn't have the sack to control Ben then someone needs to!!

chisteeler
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm with Train...not a big fan of Caldwell. I'd like someone with a little more fire/enthusiasm.

K Train
01-23-2012, 11:36 AM
i dont need fire and enthusiasm, i just want sound gameplanning and someone whos good with x's and o's and i dont think caldwell is that guy

HUNT4SEVEN
01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
I hope we get Tom Clements,Ben wouldn't get along with Haley because Haley yells to much, IMO Ben needs this type of coach because someone needs to get him in check, but i also like how TC develops QB's so i hope it's Tom,Haley wouldn't be bad either.

--- Added 1/23/2012 at 10:38 AM ---

i dont need fire and enthusiasm, i just want sound gameplanning and someone whos good with x's and o's and i dont think caldwell is that guy

And this to:plus1:

I know yaw don't wanna here this but it's time to go to the West coast offense...

SteelDad
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm not a real big fan of Caldwell either. His head coaching resume is less than stellar going 26-63 at Wake Forest from 1993-2000. His teams traditionally ran the ball very well but struggled in the passing game. I do NOT like where this is headed.

connecticutsteel
01-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Haley would be a great choice for one thing he's already dealt with an elite prima donna QB kurt "THE BAGGER" Warner so he knows how to deal with high priced QB's and prima WR's for that matter plus Whiz operates within the steelers guidelines and standards and we all know the standard is the standard

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 01:38 PM
While I do agree with others here, I'd rather have Haley as well.

But lets remember.... just about anyone would be better then Arians. I have little doubt Caldwell brings more to the table then Arians. Either way we should expect improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

I also dissagree with others here about Caldwell not having the credentials. I think Caldwell is definately qualified to do the job. Think about how much better his offensive lines have been vs pittsburgh? Not to mention game plans... We can all agree or disagree with who called plays under Caldwell. I think Caldwell was very involved in game planning. Even with Manning at QB... he was running plays based on game plans likely designed by Caldwell. The Colts offense made plenty of defenses look pretty bad. The colts down fall was almost always their defense.

SteelDad
01-23-2012, 01:47 PM

But lets remember.... just about anyone would be better then Arians. I have little doubt Caldwell brings more to the table then Arians. Either way we should expect improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

I also dissagree with others here about Caldwell not having the credentials. I think Caldwell is definately qualified to do the job. Think about how much better his offensive lines have been vs pittsburgh? Not to mention game plans... We can all agree or disagree with who called plays under Caldwell. I think Caldwell was very involved in game planning. Even with Manning at QB... he was running plays based on game plans likely designed by Caldwell. The Colts offense made plenty of defenses look pretty bad. The colts down fall was almost always their defense.

Keep in mind that Caldwell was the QB Coach under Dungy so I have to believe his input was varied game to game. Tom Moore was the OC and Howard Mudd was the OL coach who is commonly thought to be one of the best of all time.

NYCsteelersfan
01-23-2012, 02:04 PM

:plus1:

K Train
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM

riding dungys team for a few years and failing to put any pieces in place to hold them together without peyton manning was his downfall. it really exposed caldwell and polian this year.

the colts oline has been **** for years btw. quick passing, peyton manning, TE use and slot reciever use has hid that...the mannings never get hit or sacked, its just their style of play its really his deficiencies for years....and caldwell has had little to nothing to do with any of the above.

tom moore and peyton manning ran that offense, the colts just wanted to promote from within when dungy hung it up and caldwell fell into the job, he was groomed that last year to take over but didnt do much good imo. all in all i think it would be a terrible hiring

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm clinging to a small glimmer of hope that we get Clements. It's unlikely because he will probably stay in GB. the one reason I could see him leaving gb for us is that in gb, McCarthy is the playcaller. With us, he would be fully be responsible for the offense.

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
No rumors floating around about who the next OC here will be?

Troyisabeast_43
01-23-2012, 02:49 PM
I dont want Caldwell either I dont think he is a good fit for the Steelers. I agree that Clements,Haley or even a guy like Brad Childress would be much much better options for Tomlin then a guy like Caldwell...

K Train
01-23-2012, 02:51 PM
childress is a very scripted wco guy...ill pass

JollyRob68
01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I dont like the idea of Caldwell however, He knows how to use a RB in the passing game. REMEMBER TOMLIN likes coaches he said are "teachers" so Caldwell would fall into that category. Hue JAckson is starting to get some buzz from other teams and maybe The Ravens if they dont renew Cam Camerons.

--- Added 1/23/2012 at 02:06 PM ---

The post-gazette said dont be surprised if Tomlin doesn't hire A Named person.

--- Added 1/23/2012 at 02:07 PM ---

childress is a very scripted wco guy...ill pass

K train, why do you like HAley? and what do you think about Hue JAckson?
I read that Green Bay isn't letting Tom Clements interview for OC jobs only HC jobs.

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 03:14 PM
The post-gazette said dont be surprised if Tomlin doesn't hire A Named person..

This is what I suspect will happen...

K Train
01-23-2012, 03:14 PM
haley was very very sound when he was in dallas, a lot of dallas fans really liked him...he was the passing coordinator and WR coach there before he went to AZ and got to work with fitz/boldin and warner and put up big numbers. Then he went to KC and as a HC he still have weapons like bowe, moeaki, and this year breaston and baldwin for him to work with but he also wanted to emphisize the run game a lot (charles going down is a big contributor to him losing his job imo)

but my point is hes a master of the passing game but hes very sound overall and a balanced play caller, not a madden play caller like bruce arians or josh mcdaniels

JollyRob68
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
haley was very very sound when he was in dallas, a lot of dallas fans really liked him...he was the passing coordinator and WR coach there before he went to AZ and got to work with fitz/boldin and warner and put up big numbers. Then he went to KC and as a HC he still have weapons like bowe, moeaki, and this year breaston and baldwin for him to work with but he also wanted to emphisize the run game a lot (charles going down is a big contributor to him losing his job imo)

but my point is hes a master of the passing game but hes very sound overall and a balanced play caller, not a madden play caller like bruce arians or josh mcdaniels

THANKS, I like Haley and wouldn't care if Ben doesn't like him. Ben didn't like Whiz and we won a Super Bowl and were Balanced

Real Deal Steel
01-23-2012, 03:25 PM
What Ben likes or dislikes are the least of my concerns.

MDSteel15
01-23-2012, 03:26 PM
I read that Green Bay isn't letting Tom Clements interview for OC jobs only HC jobs

How can they do that? Thought they could only do that if it were a lateral move! This would be him moving up... :thinking:

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I read that Green Bay isn't letting Tom Clements interview for OC jobs only HC jobs

How can they do that? Thought they could only do that if it were a lateral move! This would be him moving up... :thinking:

He signed a contract, I'm sure it was written in there...

--- Added 1/23/2012 at 02:34 PM ---

The Pittsburgh Steelers likely will promote from within to fill their offensive coordinator vacancy, league sources said Monday.

NFL Network schedule The two top candidates in that case would be quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and offensive line coach Sean Kugler, sources said, as the Steelers' other offensive position coaches are less experienced.

Fichtner has coached quarterbacks and receivers for the Steelers in two stints with the team and spent the last five years in Pittsburgh. He also helped implement the spread offense at the University of Memphis.

The Steelers need an offensive coordinator after Bruce Arians decided to retire last week, although a league source said Saturday that the coach was told his contract wouldn't be renewed.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @jasonlacanfora.

JollyRob68
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
I was just going to post the same thing and say I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Caldwell is the next QB coach if its Randy Fichtner.

Nolrog
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM

Could be that his official title is Assistant Head Coach, in which case he could only move up by becomming a HC, even if he's only a QB coach.

--- Added 1/23/2012 at 02:57 PM ---

He signed a contract, I'm sure it was written in there...

I thought the NFL allowed all coaches to move around without restriction as long as they were taking a higher level job. So QB coach to OC, OC to HC, etc.

Could also be that since they are planning on promoting him to OC for next year, he's technically at that level now (perhaps even literally, just not having been announced) so the only higher job now is HC.

connecticutsteel
01-23-2012, 04:40 PM
as of and hour ago on nfl.com Sean Kugler and Randy Fitchner are the front runners

K Train
01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
id be so pissed if they got promoted, either one of them makes for a terrible candidate

im sure we'll be seeing tons of tons of jonathan scott is kugler is the guy...we all have heard all about the mythical wonders he did with the oline

Katmandu
01-23-2012, 05:30 PM
the colts oline has been **** for years btw. quick passing, peyton manning, TE use and slot reciever use has hid that...the mannings never get hit or sacked,Sounds exactly what Ben NEEDS to focus on!!

K Train
01-23-2012, 05:35 PM
thats a peyton thing though (eli too), he never gets touched and has had the luxury of wayne, harrison, and clark for years now.

even with that kind of offense ben would get sacked 50 times a year, hes not that kind of QB

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Man ...I really hope we don't hire "in-house"

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Man ...I really hope we don't hire "in-house"

It's looking that way!

coldrolled
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
id be so pissed if they got promoted, either one of them makes for a terrible candidate

im sure we'll be seeing tons of tons of jonathan scott is kugler is the guy...we all have heard all about the mythical wonders he did with the oline

They cant go Save A Buck on us now... eeeeessshhhh

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
I rather have BA then Caldwell....lol

SteelerRush
01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
I hope we at the least bring in one or two outside candidates before we announce the new OC. We did that with Tomlin and now we need to also interview outside.

:imho:

JollyRob68
01-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Don't be surprised if it Sean Kugler. He will be balanced and he wont take BS from Ben. However the natural move would be Promote Randy Fichtner and hire a QB coach like a Jim Caldwell, Hue JAckson or Cam Cameron once Ravens fail to renew his contract.

--- Added 1/23/2012 at 08:26 PM ---

Also IF its KUgler they can Hire Anthony Munoz as O line coach.

coldrolled
01-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Whiz was the next HC for us right? wrong?

Stone
01-24-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't have any reservations putting my trust in the Rooneys. They've done pretty good at finding coaching talent in the past. My concern is Tomlin's input.

K Train
01-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Whiz was the next HC for us right? wrong?

great point.

i kind love art II, hes the ****ing man

SuperSteelers
01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Who are the Steelers :thinking:

No doubt. I don't even know what type of team we are anymore.

--- Added 1/24/2012 at 12:52 PM ---

as of and hour ago on nfl.com Sean Kugler and Randy Fitchner are the front runners

God I hope not or next season will be a disaster.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Just got tip that Tomlin had breakfast at Omni William Penn this morning with Jim Caldwell. Source told me "95 percent sure" it was Caldwell - Per Mark Kaboly from the Trib

coldrolled
01-28-2012, 01:56 PM
From Bears News

Nonetheless, Caldwell’s availability could be a godsend for Chicago as we continued to tie more loose-ends in the aftermath of our late season collapse which lead to unprecedented 8-8 record in 2011.

Should the Raiders offer Mike Tice their HC job and he goes, Caldwell would be a great addition to the coaching staff with his connections to Lovie Smith via Tony Dungy. Should Tice stay, Caldwell would be a great fit at QB coaching having worked with Peyton Manning (2002 – 2010) during his more successful years with the Colts.

After his first year as OC (when the Colts offense was ranked 17th in points & 9th in yards) Caldwell’s offense was ranked in the top 5 from 2003 to 2007. In 2008 Indy’s offense was rank 13th in points, and 15th in yards. Thereafter, Caldwell’s distinguishing success resumed with the offense being ranked in the top 10 in 2009, and back in the top 5 in 2010. Then the end came when Manning went down in 2011.

All in all, Caldwell has a impeccable record as a great QB coach and offensive coordinator. Caldwell also work successfully as a receivers coach in the college ranks at Southern Illinois, Colorado, Louisville, and PennState. As we all know, the Bears can use all the help they can get at the WR position.

Hopefully, Lovie will show us that he’s just as serious about winning championships (plural) as the suites at Halas Hall are. In fact, this upcoming season (with Angelo gone) will in no doubt be a referendum on Lovie Smith as HC.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2012, 02:20 PM
If it does end up being Caldwell, it's not necessarily going to be a pass first offense. He's been known to have a solid running game in the past, and the Colts did run it better this past year mainly because they had too.