PDA

View Full Version : Rooney Wants "Old" Style Offense Back

JoeSteelerFan
01-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Say what you will, the Airans experiment to make the Steelers the Colts type of offense is done ... I love the move. We are who we always should have been, a "balanced attack" offense that features a pounding running game and run blocking O-lineman (i.e., road graters) which are used to break the will of the opposing team and open up the passing attack.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7489906/sources-pittsburgh-steelers-chose-not-keep-bruce-arians-ben-roethlisberger-not-fan?eleven=twelve

Steelers Prez wants old O Back
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

While Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians announced his retirement Friday, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen the Steelers chose not to retain Arians, against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The sources said the move was made in order to shift the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II. :helmet:

Arians, 59, has been the only offensive coordinator in coach Mike Tomlin's five seasons with the Steelers. During his time as coordinator, he turned the Steelers from a run-first team to a pass-heavy one to better suit Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh ranked in the top half of the NFL in offense over the past three seasons but finished a disappointing 12th this past season.

"Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching," Tomlin said in a statement. "I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."

The Steelers have a history of promoting from within at offensive coordinator. Arians joined the Steelers in 2004 as the wide receivers coach and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2007.

Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2012, 05:51 PM
I think that's what a lot of people are worried about dude, will the Steelers stop using all this talent at WR now and go back just a ground and pound? You can certainly make a case for it's success even now. Look at the teams in the post season right now, all but one make a living running the ball on a regular basis.

Kevin Colbert and the coaches helped build this team into what it is now, a pass first group of players. If they do go back to a 3 yds. and a cloud of dust it's going to be a huge adjustment. Hopefully they find a happy medium.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-22-2012, 05:53 PM
We wont go back to ground and pound. What we need to do is be more balanced.

LatrobePA
01-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Ben hates this move! Hey Ben time to tame it down and listen to a real coach!

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 06:00 PM
I think that's what a lot of people are worried about dude, will the Steelers stop using all this talent at WR now and go back just a ground and pound? You can certainly make a case for it's success even now. Look at the teams in the post season right now, all but one make a living running the ball on a regular basis.

Kevin Colbert and the coaches helped build this team into what it is now, a pass first group of players. If they do go back to a 3 yds. and a cloud of dust it's going to be a huge adjustment. Hopefully they find a happy medium.

Going back to the old ways will just make the WR's even better. Can you imagine the defense geared to stop the run and then there hit with the play action pass?

--- Added 1/22/2012 at 04:00 PM ---

Ben hates this move! Hey Ben time to tame it down and listen to a real coach!

Thank you!!!!!

Exactly. The WR's won't be forgotten in the new offense.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Look at the teams in the post season right now, all but one make a living running the ball on a regular basis

The Giants no longer make any kind of living running the ball and playing defense and they've remained successful. This season is evidence of that.

Becoming a pass happy offense is not easy and it's definitely not suited for someone like Tomlin. Coughlin is the real deal. If the choice is to try and transition the entire offense through Tomlin or go back to what we knew how to do before he got here, then I choose the latter because you need a damn good coach to make a dramatic transition and Tomlin is not a damn good coach.

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 06:04 PM
In the playoffs,

The Giants are running the ball. They've gone back to their 2007 formula and it's working.

Becoming pass happy isn't the "end all to be all" way to run offenses now adays. You can still run the ball and play good defense be successful at winning Super Bowls.

JoeSteelerFan
01-22-2012, 06:16 PM

BINGO! ... The biggest change you'll see is us focusing more on using the run to set up the pass, vs. what we're doing now which is the opposite. This type of offense tires out defenses and also controls the clock.

No more 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 empty backfield "shotgun" sets.

Thank Christ! :tt02:

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
In the playoffs,

The Giants are running the ball. They've gone back to their 2007 formula and it's working

I'm sorry, but you're obviously not watching the games and have no idea what you're talking about.

Eli has 595 yards and 6 touchdowns in 2 games this year. In 2007, he had 807 yards and 6 touchdowns in 4 games. The team has completely changed and that's why they ranked 32nd in rushing this season.

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm sorry, but you're obviously not watching the games and have no idea what you're talking about.

Eli has 595 yards and 6 touchdowns in 2 games this year. In 2007, he had 807 yards and 6 touchdowns in 4 games. The team has completely changed and that's why they ranked 32nd in rushing this season.

Again, you need to watch the playoff games. The Giants ran for 140 against the Falcons and they out rushed the Packers last week.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Again, you need to watch the playoff games. The Giants ran for 140 against the Falcons and they out rushed the Packers last week.

2 out of 18 games and all of the sudden they are a rush first, and strong defensive team. Meanwhile, in the postseason, Eli is averaging twice as many TDs per game and 100 yards more per game than he did in 2007. Okay, they are rush first.

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 06:34 PM
2 out of 18 games and all of the sudden they are a rush first, and strong defensive team. Meanwhile, Eli is averaging twice as many TDs per game and 100 yards more per game than he did in 2007. Okay, they are rush first.

I'm just saying that they are running the ball more then what they did the entire regular
season.

Eli is a better QB now then he was in 2007. He has more command now and a better grasp.

But the point is, they are running the ball.

Running the ball and playing good defense STILL works. Ask the Ravens and 49ers.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Running the ball and playing good defense STILL works. Ask the Ravens and 49ers.

49ers had to put up 36 points to win their game because their "great" defense gave up 32. Let's see where the Ravens end up with their defense and rushing attack.

Let's see what happened between the 49ers and Giants as well.

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 06:41 PM
49ers had to put up 36 points to win their game because their "great" defense gave up 32. Let's see where the Ravens end up with their defense and rushing attack.

Again, it doesn't matter what you want. Rooney said we are going back to the balanced
offensive ways. Case closed.

LatrobePA
01-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Change Legs number to 44 and let him be our FB

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 06:51 PM
A fullback? What a concept.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-22-2012, 06:54 PM

Look at the texans dude. If Shaub wouldnt have gotten hurt, they would be playing the pats today. They play great D and run the ball.

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Look at the texans dude. If Shaub wouldnt have gotten hurt, they would be playing the pats today. They play great D and run the ball.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cmerrifield
01-22-2012, 07:02 PM

But we are not them. We dont have their oline or two great RB's, and they dont have our wr's.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

coldrolled
01-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Rice is the #2 back ?? where are they? they have flacco... obviuosly running strong makes champs.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Ground attack, defense, and field goals worked out real well for Baltimore. Let's see what the 49ers do.

North Steel
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
If anything it will make us less predictable

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Ground attack, defense, and field goals worked out real well for Baltimore. Let's see what the 49ers do.

In fairness, Baltimore should have won the game. Ball hit the reciever right in the hands and he dropped it. That should have been the game right there.

They were in position to win the game with that ground attack and defense. Brown makes that catch, no question.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 07:48 PM
In fairness, Baltimore should have won the game. Ball hit the reciever right in the hands and he dropped it. That should have been the game right there.

They were in position to win the game with that ground attack and defense. Brown makes that catch, no question.

Shouldn't have came down to 15 seconds in the 4th quarter. Patriots defense was awful all game, just begging the Ravens to score. The Ravens 20 points against the Patriots reminded me of the Steelers offense.

coach
01-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Going back to the old ways will just make the WR's even better. Can you imagine the defense geared to stop the run and then there hit with the play action pass?

Thank you!!!!!

Exactly. The WR's won't be forgotten in the new offense.

I seem to remember 82 an 88 having a lot of success in the old days. I would love to see me some of that.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2012, 08:06 PM
BINGO! ... The biggest change you'll see is us focusing more on using the run to set up the pass, vs. what we're doing now which is the opposite. This type of offense tires out defenses and also controls the clock.

No more 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 empty backfield "shotgun" sets.

Thank Christ! :tt02:

Well said, balance is absolutely paramount to the future success of this team. I would love to see this team have 150 yds on the ground every week and 200 yds passing by Roethlisberger again. That means you're keeping the other teams offense off the field, setting yourself up in manageable 3rd downs.

I hope they go that route and logic says they will but you have to wonder even still.

connecticutsteel
01-22-2012, 08:06 PM
THIS IS BAD NEWS ANYTHING OLD ISN'T GOOD.I think that if the running game gets better then this old style will be come balanced offense

nuclearchihuahuas
01-22-2012, 08:08 PM
:yellowthumb:
THIS IS BAD NEWS ANYTHING OLD ISN'T GOOD.I think that if the running game gets better then this old style will be come balanced offense

Not possible to go back to the 'old way' without significant improvement to the O-line...I don't care who the new coach is...we have got to fix the disaster "protecting" Ben

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 08:10 PM

Not possible to go back to the 'old way' without significant improvement to the O-line...I don't care who the new coach is...we have got to fix the disaster "protecting" Ben

Offensive line, defensive line and running back. That's in the direction of old school. Although, improvements in the OL will improve the running game no matter who the back is.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 08:10 PM

And at that point, might as well be pass-happy.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-22-2012, 08:14 PM

That defense held one of the best offense to 23 points. That ground game opened up their play action passing game (but flacco overthrew smith twice, and underthrew him once).

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 08:20 PM
That defense held one of the best offense to 23 points. That ground game opened up their play action passing game (but flacco overthrew smith twice, and underthrew him once).

They lost.

LatrobePA
01-22-2012, 08:21 PM
They lost.

Lol in the best fashion, Fu ravens!

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-22-2012, 08:22 PM
They lost.

I watched the game ...I realize this. Saying they lost has nothing to do with your argument

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 08:23 PM

I think this game is the argument that running the ball and playing good defense is the way to go. It's not an argument that it's not the way to go.

They held one of the top 3 offenses to 23 points, Brady had 0 TD and 2 INT and a QB Rating of 57.5 and if not for a dropped pass, they win the game and if not for a botched FG, they maybe win in OT.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Lol in the best fashion, Fu ravens!

:plus1:

A win from them would've resulted in absurd discussions about Flacco being on Roethlisberger's level.

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I tell you one thing. I bet Baltimore has a new PK next year.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Giants look real balanced.

steelers75
01-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Woohoo! Back to 3 yards and a cloud of mediocrity and wasting a top-5 $100 million franchise QB!

Raleigh Steel
01-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Woohoo! Back to 3 yards and a cloud of mediocrity and wasting a top-5 $100 million franchise QB!

whatever dude...would you rather watch ben get sacked 7 times a game? ben wasn't much above mediocre this season. blame the o-line, go ahead...i'll blame the OC for not game planning around a suspect o-line. hell even martz changed up his game plans to suit the bears o-line which was far worse than ours. when he did cutler stopped getting sacked, he stopped getting hit...AND THE BEARS AVERAGED MORE POINTS PER GAME.

like BRC said...i'd love to see the steelers avg 150 on the ground and 200 plus in the air...as long as it results in points.

ba's offense didn't result in points...only yards...yards don't matter...never has...never will.

--- Added 1/22/2012 at 07:01 PM ---

and further to my point, how many QB's did we have in our 26 year SB drought that could throw the ball? bubby? neil? kordell? kent graham? jim miller? mark malone? maddox? tomczak? if we had a guy like ben on those ground and pound teams we would have won at least 4 more super bowls.

cmerrifield
01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
whatever dude...would you rather watch ben get sacked 7 times a game? ben wasn't much above mediocre this season. blame the o-line, go ahead...i'll blame the OC for not game planning around a suspect o-line. hell even martz changed up his game plans to suit the bears o-line which was far worse than ours. when he did cutler stopped getting sacked, he stopped getting hit...AND THE BEARS AVERAGED MORE POINTS PER GAME.

like BRC said...i'd love to see the steelers avg 150 on the ground and 200 plus in the air...as long as it results in points.

ba's offense didn't result in points...only yards...yards don't matter...never has...never will.

--- Added 1/22/2012 at 07:01 PM ---

and further to my point, how many QB's did we have in our 26 year SB drought that could throw the ball? bubby? neil? kordell? kent graham? jim miller? mark malone? maddox? tomczak? if we had a guy like ben on those ground and pound teams we would have won at least 4 more super bowls.

Again, just because BA didnt know how to call a game doesnt mean that that offense doesnt work. We just need someone who knows how to call a game.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
They lost.

Saying they lost like that, as if it's the be all, end all in making your point, completely ignores all the other things that happened in the game.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 09:21 PM
how many QB's did we have in our 26 year SB drought that could throw the ball? bubby? neil? kordell? kent graham? jim miller? mark malone? maddox? tomczak? if we had a guy like ben on those ground and pound teams we would have won at least 4 more super bowls.

That's a fact.

Saying they lost like that, as if it's the be all, end all in making your point, completely ignores all the other things that happened in the game.

I don't know what you or anyone else wants to discuss. The defense gave up 23 points and I believe 0 of those points were off turnovers. Running backs had 89 yards on 27 carries.

Solid defense and a rushing attack failed them. They had 300+ passing yards because everyone in the league had 300+ passing yards on the Patriots this season, but because their offense was not made to pass, and the Patriots kept stacking the box, they failed to score more than 20 points.

I don't like arguing on detail too much. You have people here who ignore fact and make up their own reality, like the guy who was claiming that the Giants are a rush first, strong defensive team.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Once again , running the ball setup play action which led to Torrey smith being WIDE OPEN 3 times, but flacco just sux.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Once again , running the ball setup play action

I'll never argue with this point, but when you're playing a sloppy defense, you should be able to come out and just light them up with the pass, especially when they're stacking the box from the outset in expectation of you running the ball.

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Solid defense and a rushing attack failed them.

That's the thing. That statement is not true. That's what I'm discussing. Solid defense and rushing attack did not fail them. It put them in position to win the game, which they should have done if not for a couple bad breaks.

You're making the argument that it failed as if they lost 50-7.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 09:44 PM
That's the thing. That statement is not true. That's what I'm discussing. Solid defense and rushing attack did not fail them. It put them in position to win the game, which they should have done if not for a couple bad breaks.

You're making the argument that it failed as if they lost 50-7.

Your so called "bad breaks" are a part of every game. You can't use them as some kind of 1 in a million factor.

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Your so called "bad breaks" are a part of every game. You can't use them as some kind of 1 in a million factor.

Yes, bad breaks are part of the game. That doesn't change the fact that the strong defense and good running game put them in position to beat the 2nd best offense in football and the #1 team in the AFC.

Just because it didn't pan out today doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Phdboy2020
01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Well, if anything, we do need a true fullback in order to make this work. Especially if Tomlin is not going to upgrade the O-Line. Another Krieder would be awesome!

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Just because it didn't pan out today doesn't mean it doesn't work.

No, you see, that's exactly what it means because it didn't work.

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 10:14 PM
No, you see, that's exactly what it means because it didn't work.

I give up.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Rooney get what they want, i can go with a real FB myself we will be more dangerous next year if we get a legit LG/RG because Foster can play either spot well.

--- Added 1/22/2012 at 09:32 PM ---

THIS right here...:plus1:

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-22-2012, 11:32 PM
I give up.

Lol...no point in trying to argue anymore

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 11:47 PM
I give up.

Lol...no point in trying to argue anymore

Looks like it worked for the 49ers also, huh? Rush first, strong defense. Oh, but wait, the 49ers didn't catch any breaks and Kyle Williams lost two punts. Once again, the 49ers should've been able to pass on a very sloppy Giants secondary and score more than 17 points.

Defense doesn't win games in the new NFL, only sloppy offenses lose games.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Looks like it worked for the 49ers also, huh? Rush first, strong defense. Oh, but wait, the 49ers didn't catch any breaks and Kyle Williams lost two punts. Once again, the 49ers should've been able to pass on a very sloppy Giants secondary and score more than 17 points.

Defense doesn't win games in the new NFL, only sloppy offenses lose games.

^ like I said , no point in trying to argue anymore

NYCsteelersfan
01-23-2012, 12:07 AM
^ like I said , no point in trying to argue anymore

I know, because every team that you guys were citing as being successful with a strong defense and a rush first offense ended up getting beat by pass-happy teams with zero defense.

Real Deal Steel
01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
I know, because every team that you guys were citing as being successful with a strong defense and a rush first offense ended up getting beat by pass-happy teams with zero defense.

But we are not those other teams. We are the Pittsburgh Steelers.

NYCsteelersfan
01-23-2012, 12:42 AM
But we are not those other teams. We are the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That's true. I just don't know if it will translate into wins in this new NFL.

Steelersfan
01-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Fix the O line and then we can all argue about pass/run first. Right now it doesn't matter because the line can't open running lanes and they can't pass block for more than 3 seconds.

OldSchool58
01-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Fix the O line and then we can all argue about pass/run first. Right now it doesn't matter because the line can't open running lanes and they can't pass block for more than 3 seconds.

^^:plus1:

Fix the O-Line, get a fullback, and even I could call the plays.

SteelDad
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Professional football is all about the copycat. What works for one, will be copied and altered slightly by most others. West Coast Offense comes in and boom, 3/4 of the league moves to it in one form or another. The league also takes cues from the college game as well because it has to. There are fewer and fewer offenses in college that use a FB so naturally it is difficult for NFL teams to find them.

I do not honestly believe Mr. Rooney wants to return to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. If he truly does, then he is sadly mistaken. Offensive football today is about putting pressure on the the defense, getting advantageous matchups and keeping the defense off balance. While I believe that teams do not have to run for 150 yards per game anymore, I do believe they have to be able to run it when necessary and this is where we have failed.

Regardless of who the OC is, it will not be the days of Franco and Rocky. You will see more 3 WR sets and you will still see Ben throwing the ball but what you will also see is a more efficient and timely running game.

Yes I know, we need a better Oline too.:grin1:

K Train
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM
es not saying 3 yards and a cloud of dust, hes saying high scoring % in the redzone, use of a FB, and the ability to run on 3rd and short rather than go 5 wide.

arians turned the steelers into a poor mans colts, except ben isnt peyton manning when running that kind of offense, he wanted to hold the ball and make plays while manning wants to get rid of the ball quickly to either get the first down or try again...

basically arians was a square peg in a round hole captain of the universe

Goodfrom55
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Thumbing through all these posts, I agree that balance is the key. Steelers have to have the threat of a running game on 3rd and less than 4. 5 wide doesn't cut it. 5 wide tells me, as a defender that the Steelers are going to throw a quick slant or curl. No guessing.

Say what you want, Arians offense between the 20's was pretty darn good, but his demise came from his playcalling.

JoeSteelerFan
01-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Thumbing through all these posts, I agree that balance is the key. Steelers have to have the threat of a running game on 3rd and less than 4. 5 wide doesn't cut it. 5 wide tells me, as a defender that the Steelers are going to throw a quick slant or curl. No guessing.

Say what you want, Arians offense between the 20's was pretty darn good, but his demise came from his playcalling.

Then I guess Arians needs to find employment in a league that scores points between the 20's. .... He'll be the freakin Yoda! :lol:

Nolrog
01-23-2012, 10:39 AM
es not saying 3 yards and a cloud of dust, hes saying high scoring % in the redzone, use of a FB, and the ability to run on 3rd and short rather than go 5 wide.

arians turned the steelers into a poor mans colts, except ben isnt peyton manning when running that kind of offense, he wanted to hold the ball and make plays while manning wants to get rid of the ball quickly to either get the first down or try again...

basically arians was a square peg in a round hole captain of the universe

Jolly good analysis K.

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 12:08 PM
First thing is first we need a true FB, not a fat slob TE, not a HB a FB..

steelchamp204
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Get a damn fullback, and only have Ben throw the no more than 30 times a game. If the young receivers dont like it then to hell with em. We need a run game to A. Keep Ben more upright 2. Setup pa pass with some good receivers.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
1974. Just dreamin of course.

Nolrog
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Professional football is all about the copycat. What works for one, will be copied and altered slightly by most others.

That's true. But it's also about the innovation. There's always a first guy to do something that everyone copies.

With the tight end success, we're going to see a bunch of TEs picked in the draft as everyone looks for their Gronkowski. It's time now to innovate and find the defense that stops that kind of offense (I'd say with super fast MILBs to cover the TE, but that's just me.)

NYCsteelersfan
01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
It's time now to innovate and find the defense that stops that kind of offense

It's not just stopping new offenses, it's stopping the referees. The game is officiated completely differently than it was a few years ago. The league wants pass-happy offenses and the refs call the games to make sure they get that without being overly obvious.

Real Deal Steel
01-23-2012, 08:02 PM
It's not just stopping new offenses, it's stopping the referees. The game is officiated completely differently than it was a few years ago. The league wants pass-happy offenses and the refs call the games to make sure they get that without being overly obvious.

There's a lot of truth in this.

NYCsteelersfan
01-23-2012, 08:08 PM
There's a lot of truth in this.

I'm the first person to advocate a solid rush attack, a strong defense, and a careful passing game, but the league doesn't want that and so the refs are making the game difficult for teams that try to play like that (not calling holds on Harrison, roughing the passer calls getting iffier and iffier, taking tackles that we've all been used to away from the defenders with restrictive and vague tackling rules, no contact with the receiver after a certain number of yards, etc. etc.).

This is the only reason why I want to be a bit more pass heavy and high scoring, not because I like it, but because that's what the refs are giving everyone so we might as well take it.

connecticutsteel
01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
The Giants no longer make any kind of living running the ball and playing defense and they've remained successful. This season is evidence of that.

Becoming a pass happy offense is not easy and it's definitely not suited for someone like Tomlin. Coughlin is the real deal. If the choice is to try and transition the entire offense through Tomlin or go back to what we knew how to do before he got here, then I choose the latter because you need a damn good coach to make a dramatic transition and Tomlin is not a damn good coach.

Tom coughlin coached a9-7 team this year in our division that would be 3rd or 4th place

JoeSteelerFan
01-23-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm the first person to advocate a solid rush attack, a strong defense, and a careful passing game, but the league doesn't want that and so the refs are making the game difficult for teams that try to play like that (not calling holds on Harrison, roughing the passer calls getting iffier and iffier, taking tackles that we've all been used to away from the defenders with restrictive and vague tackling rules, no contact with the receiver after a certain number of yards, etc. etc.).

This is the only reason why I want to be a bit more pass heavy and high scoring, not because I like it, but because that's what the refs are giving everyone so we might as well take it.

If the league doesn't want it, that's EXACTLY why the Steelers should go back to their roots somewhat. The current 49ers are basically what the Steelers used to be. They're strong, fast, swarm to the ball, and play angry on defense. Offensively, they use a power running game (complete with a FB) to set up the play action pass. The only thing the 9ers are missing right now that's keeping them from being dominant is a franchise QB.

If we started getting back to this brand of football, we could be lethal. :helmet:

NYCsteelersfan
01-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Tom coughlin coached a9-7 team this year in our division that would be 3rd or 4th place

He's also made average quarterbacks like Eli and Brunell look like Pro-Bowlers.

Nolrog
01-24-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm the first person to advocate a solid rush attack, a strong defense, and a careful passing game,

Wait, weren't you just advocating against that exact philosophy?

Go 'Lers
01-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Back to the "old style" offense? Nooooooooooo!

Fine, the run game needs improving but there's no reason why we can't increase rush attempts without sacrificing pass attempts by a top 5 quarterback in Roethlisberger.

The idea is to be a COMPLETE and BALANCED offense, not one where we handcuff Big Ben in favor of a heavy ground game. All I know is the Tomlin/Arians offense (along with a great defense, of course) accomplished quite a bit and opened up a great chapter for the Steelers.

Stone
01-24-2012, 10:54 AM

I don't think it's a case of living on one extreme or the other, it's an issue of balance. By having balance and a solid game plan you could see these receivers flourish.

We need a back who we can depend on for 3rd and 1 (Redman) and we need a game plan that disguises some of our talent and mixes up the looks.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I just can't guy into the notion that this team would do 180 and go back to the old style offense completely. They aren't built for it and nobody really runs it anymore. Sure you have to run to be successful, and teams that do run have QB's that get sacked less often. I'm all for the blue collar attitude but just be smart about how far you go back to it, and I think and would hope they will.

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't think it's a case of living on one extreme or the other, it's an issue of balance. By having balance and a solid game plan you could see these receivers flourish.

We need a back who we can depend on for 3rd and 1 (Redman) and we need a game plan that disguises some of our talent and mixes up the looks.

Bingo. We have a winner. That was my whole point. Make all of the offense potent. Not just the passing attack. But the running game too. Then the opposing defense doesn't know what we are going to do from play to play.

If the Texans had Matt Schaub, they would have had the perfect balance of Pass/run. That's all I want for us.

Nolrog
01-25-2012, 07:20 AM
If the Texans had Matt Schaub, they would have had the perfect balance of Pass/run. That's all I want for us.

Texas is a terriffic looking up and coming team. If they had Schaub, they'd have beaten Baltimore. Heck, they almost did with their thrid string QB.

That's going to be a good team for a number of years.

San Fran too. Man they were solid agains the Jints. Te biggest thing that impressed me about the was how quickly they got to the ball and didn't allow so much YAC. Something we need to improve upon.

JoeSteelerFan
01-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Bingo. We have a winner. That was my whole point. Make all of the offense potent. Not just the passing attack. But the running game too. Then the opposing defense doesn't know what we are going to do from play to play.

I think this is what most Steeler fans want. :plus1:

CowherPower
01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
To make the whole offense potent you better fix the O-Line or nothing is going to work. This team can't afford another year of these injuries and backups who play out of position so much that nobody knows who they really are.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Did he retire?

Was he forced out?

Well, you know what they say — there’s your side, my side and and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

It appears now that the lack of committment to a long-term future by Arians forced Steelers Art Rooney to finally pull the trigger and not offer the offensive coordinator a new contract — or so that’s the story today.

In an interview conducted by Bob Labriola on Steelers.com today, Labriola pulled no punches and came out and directly asked Rooney if he had anything to do with Arians’ deparature.

Although Rooney sidestepped the question at first, he gave a peak into his thought process a little later.

“Bruce talked about retiring for a number of years now,” Rooney said. “We are looking to improve on offense and to have somebody in place for a number of years. I think it was time for a change. We are looking forward to moving on.”
Arians said earlier in the week that he had no choice but to retire after the team did not offer him a contract, and that he had been contacted already by a number of teams about coaching next year.

That was stark contrast to late last week when the Steelers sent out a press release saying that Arians retired after five years with the team as the offensive coordinator that resulted in two Super Bowl appearances.

Rooney initially did not answer the question of if he had anything directly to do with Arians’ departure.

“The question of how we got here is not really relevant,” Rooney said. “The key now is that Mike (Tomlin) has begun the search for our next offensive coordinator. We will go through the process and interview the right candidates.”

The Steelers offense finished 12th in total offense (372.3 yards per game) and 21st in points per game (20.3) last year.

Stay tuned, I am sure the story is not over yet. We still have to hear from Ben Roethlisberger, now don’t we? SteelMill Blog Trib. (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/01/25/another-twist-in-arians-v-steelers/)

Black&Gold Munch
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Ground and Pound, running all the time, that's boring. Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown are too good not feed them the ball. Ben has an attitude, and arrogance about him, he won't stand for not being able to throw the ball around if you ask me.

NYCsteelersfan
01-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Wait, weren't you just advocating against that exact philosophy?

I want it because I like it, but I don't want it because I know the league and the refs are going to hurt teams with boring offenses. And in this day and age where everyone watches football, even people who don't know what a touchdown is, anything other than lots and lots of passing is considered boring.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2012, 03:45 PM
If Caldwell ends up getting the job, don't be shocked to see the Steelers draft a FB this year and really put an emphasis on running the ball.

Nolrog
01-28-2012, 04:36 PM
If Caldwell ends up getting the job, don't be shocked to see the Steelers draft a FB this year and really put an emphasis on running the ball.

Would love to see that. Getting a true FB in there would help. Not until the later rounds though. Too many urgent needs to be addressed first.

JensK
01-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I would like a FB alright, but I would not like to see the offense go back to being a run-first type of offense. The league is simply not build for it anymore. Sure, we are seeing a couple of teams with that kind of attitude, but more often than not its the team with a pass-oriented offense that wins the big one. That does not mean that I don't both recognize and agree with the importance of running the football, only I don't like that it should be the key-stone of the offense.

86WARD
01-29-2012, 09:46 AM
This is a passing era. If Rooney wants the "old time offense back," this team would go decades into the past and be a bottom dweller in the league. This is a pass happy league and if you can't compete with the pass happy teams, the high octane teams, you can't win.

86WARD
01-29-2012, 09:47 AM
BTW- its not even important anymore to stop the pass...lol. Look at all the playoff team defenses. You have to go blow to blow with these teams.

JoeSteelerFan
01-29-2012, 10:09 AM

I'd be fine with this. A FB provides more options and disguises plays much better. I don't think we'll be a "run dominant" team like some people fear .... as if we'll somehow abandon the pass. (sorry, ain't gonna happen).

I think we'll place more emphasis on 3 areas with an "old school" mindset:

1) Retooling the O-line to be the traditional Steeler "road grater" run blockers.

2) Play selection on 3rd and short and "short" yardage situations in general will change.
We will go back to "power" formations which include a true FB to serve as "the hammer". Better conversion on 3rd downs translates to controlling the clock and red zone production.

3) You will see a huge improvemetn in our play action passing which will also translate into improved red zone production.

...... All of these are traditional Steeler things we got away from from under Airans.

How can you NOT be for this?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I think we're all for this, and I personally would love to see a FB on the roster again. I thin Redman does a good job in short yardage when they use him, which isn't near enough. Giving him a full time lead blocker would just add another dimension to the team that they haven't had in a long time.

There's no way they completely abandon the pass, you'd be essentially wasting the talent of 3 top flight receivers if you just run all the time. The battle cry for 2012 should just be simply, "BALANCE"

Real Deal Steel
01-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Be smarter to pick up a FB in free agency. We have way too many other pressing needs then to use a draft pick on a FB

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Great. And all we (fans) want to see is that weeny comish disappear from planet earth. All would be good in the world then.

jnes1216
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Toby Gerhart is a free agent. Anyone think he'd be a good pick up?