PDA

View Full Version : Which positions don't need to be addressed this offseason?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2012, 01:34 PM
The Steelers are a team that can use help at virtually any position but they aren't dire need of really all that much.

Depth all over the place is always a good thing. You just simply can't have too many good backup players. The exceptions would be at Cornerback, Wide Receiver, and Running Back. The depth is pretty decent overall. The drafting of guys like Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay, and of course the big 3 at WR along with hopefully Cotchery returning.

As far as positions that are good to go and either shouldn't be addressed in the upcoming draft or free agency, or addressed with a lower tier pick?

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-21-2012, 01:39 PM
I think we are sid at TE but that's just about it IMO . We can really improve everywhere else

coldrolled
01-21-2012, 01:40 PM
I think we are sid at TE but that's just about it IMO . We can really improve everywhere else

OC is set...... Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

Nolrog
01-21-2012, 01:55 PM
The Steelers are a team that can use help at virtually any position but they aren't dire need of really all that much.

I completely disagree with this.

They are in dire need of an offensive lineman (notably a guard), another player on the defensive line (most likely a nose, but possible an end if Ziggy slides in) and a fast middle line backer that can cover those tight ends.

The top 3 picks absolutely need to be those. After that, they can look for depth (a better back up than Sylvester), a back up safety, another WR in the 5th round, a running back is going to be a need (Mendenhall won't be ready until mid-next year, if at all.)

NYCsteelersfan
01-21-2012, 03:35 PM
I completely disagree with this.

They are in dire need of an offensive lineman (notably a guard)

I agree 100%. The offensive line is in absolute critical condition, which has left the quarterback and offense in critical condition.

I think people don't realize how bad this offensive line is because they don't watch other teams. This line is absolutely miserable.

SteelerRush
01-21-2012, 04:34 PM
1st pick we need Offensive Line, Middle LineBacker, Defensive Line or Safety ( Best Available left on the board when we pick maybe even a TE)
I think we could get a good Guard or Tackle in the Second and Third rounds so I would look for MLB or Safety in the first
We need a good PK and a TE who can stretch the field and block and a real FB.

Yeh! BA is Gone back to a real FB in the backfield.:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2012, 04:41 PM
but they aren't dire need of really all that much.

That doesn't mean we aren't in dire of need some help at key positions, it does mean though that we don't need to have a complete overhaul of the team or any one spot.

Offensive Guard, definitely a top need worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick.
Middle Linebacker depth, and linebacker depth in general. No doubt about it, a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be ideal.
Defensive Line, 2 premium picks in recent years and they would do well to grab take atleast a mid round prospect here. Much of that depends on if Hampton comes back this season and how the recovery of Brett Keisel goes. If Hampton doesn't come back and Chris Hoke retires then you have a serious need at NT.
Safety: I'm ok with not drafting high here just yet. Polamalu and Clark are still able to play at a high level. Within the next 2 years though, sure you better start looking for the future there.

LatrobePA
01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
WR, TE, thats it IMO!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't foresee them really going after any type of Running Backs in this draft either. If anything the group that was on the roster at varying times this year will all be fighting it out for those precious few roster spots.

I would like to see another decent outside pass rusher if they can spare the roster spot. This business of moving Timmons outside when injuries strike is not the best plan of action.

coach
01-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Given that our secondary struggles against the good playoff teams, we need a cover corner if we are going to make noise in the playoffs. The O-line is a given. NT and MLB.
Does the new OC make TE or FB a topic of discussion? What about a kicker?

I think we have actually have more needs than we can address in this draft. Even though the team won 12 games this year, they struggled against the teams that they will face in the Playoffs next year, too.

NYCsteelersfan
01-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I think we have actually have more needs than we can address in this draft. Even though the team won 12 games this year, they struggled against the teams that they will face in the Playoffs next year, too.

100% on point with both statements. We were a highly overrated 12-4. More than half the league was pathetically bad this season (probably had something to do with the lockout). If the league recovers some next season, 12-4 is a tall order. O-line would make an enormous difference though, and I think we can still make it by on defense as is. A kicker and punter are definite needs as well that I would put ahead of defensive players. Solid special teams, protection for Roethlisberger, a new offense coordinator, and last season's defense would make for a dangerous team in my opinion.

Nolrog
01-22-2012, 06:05 AM
Given that our secondary struggles against the good playoff teams, we need a cover corner if we are going to make noise in the playoffs.

The secondary struggles can be directly tied to the lack of pressure we put on the QB (as can the lack of turn overs and our disappointing 3rd and long conversion rate.) We get that sorted and all those improve. The group of guys we have at corner are decent, we don't need to spend more picks there right now (especially given the other needs which are much greater).

--- Added 1/22/2012 at 05:05 AM ---

I think we have actually have more needs than we can address in this draft.

This is why I think they need to dabble in FA. We should be able to pick up a decent MILB or maybe even a solid guard without breaking the bank, and then can focus the draft picks on other positions and/or building depth.

bigplaysteel
01-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Nolrog said: This is why I think they need to dabble in FA. We should be able to pick up a decent MILB or maybe even a solid guard without breaking the bank, and then can focus the draft picks on other positions and/or building depth.

Yeah, something like they did in 2001 would be nice. Picked up a great OL in Jeff Hartings and drafted two teriffic D players in Casey Hampton and Kendrell Bell.

The Steelers have actually picked up quite a few quality players the past couple-three drafts. Adding a couple more should set things up quite nicely for the future.

cmerrifield
01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
We need to address the interior oline. 1 quality guy and the line is better. Gilbert, draft pick, Pouncey, Foster and Colon is a quality starting oline. The need a NT or DE depending on Hood. They need an ILB unless Sly starts at Mack and Timmons moves to buck. Otherwise this team is fine. The rookie CB's were fine considering the lockout. We could use some depth at a few positions, but we do not have more needs than we can draft.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

jnes1216
01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone else on here. The first three rounds should be offensive line, defensive line and inside linebacker. In whatever order the draft plays out to give us the best pick at those positions.

As we know the Steelers don't seem to fill dire needs thru free agency. I have been very pleased with the past free agent acquisitions. Cotchery being the latest example. Solid contributors to complement the talent brought in thru the draft. I would rather trade up in the draft than sign big money free agents. Sometimes though free agents are very very tempting :lol:

Back to the question though, WR, TE, QB, Safety and RB should not be addressed in the early rounds 1-4 imo

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 02:51 PM
I think WR and TE don't neeeed to be addressed. But if they decided to add a big WR into the mix, that would nice.

In light of whay Mr. Rooney has came out and said, I'm pretty sure the first couple of picks is to address the lines. And they are going to get a fullback somewhere in this off-season.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
The secondary struggles can be directly tied to the lack of pressure we put on the QB (as can the lack of turn overs and our disappointing 3rd and long conversion rate.) We get that sorted and all those improve. The group of guys we have at corner are decent, we don't need to spend more picks there right now (especially given the other needs which are much greater).

I agree, I would be mildly shocked if they went with another DB early in this draft. They just spent 2 more picks on Brown and Allen in last years draft, both of whom showed a good deal of promise. I'm ok with the corner situation as it is now, even with Gay being a free agent.

The more I think about it the more I'd like to see Casey Hampton come back from one more year. This gives you the chance to focus on offensive line with your early picks and depth at linebacker. I'm ok with McLendon backing up Hampton and then looking for a stud NT in the 2013 draft.

SnakeEyes43
01-23-2012, 07:40 PM
QB, RB, WR, TE and CB are fine imo.

I think we need OL first, MLB second, and a safety third. D-line could use a pick maybe and maybe a solid kicker in the later rounds?

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
For those not so technically inclined and the newbs. I put myself in this group cause it is a lot to think of and I don't get paid to think. 2012 proposed http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT