PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith signs future contract with the Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Tweeted out today from a few sources including Ed Bouchette, that the Steelers have signed former OSU QB and Ravens draft pick, Troy Smith to a future contract.

The Steelers have signed quarterback Troy Smith (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_777636.html#ixzz1k29kqImt), who won the Heisman Trophy and has started eight games in the NFL, to a futures contract.

Smith, who starred at Ohio State before the Ravens took him in the fifth round of the 2007 NFL draft, played for the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League in 2011.

The Steelers also signed cornerback Walter McFadden — the younger brother of Bryant McFadden, he played four games for Oakland in 2010 — and wide receivers Jimmy Young, Tyler Beiler and David Gilreath. They also formally announced the signing for wide receiver Derrick Williams, who starred at Penn State and played for the Detroit Lions in 2009-10.

Smith is the second quarterback the Steelers have signed to a futures contract, joining former Texas A&M signal caller Jerrod Johnson. Players that weren't on NFL rosters at the end of the regular season are allowed to sign contracts with teams even though the new league year doesn't start until March 13 at 4 p.m.

Depth at quarterback is an issue for the Steelers as Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon are all unrestricted free agents. Dixon, the No. 3 quarterback this season, is likely to sign elsewhere.
Leftwich and Batch want to return to the Steelers, and team president Art Rooney II said earlier this week, "We like the quarterbacks we have on our roster and we're hopeful to sign at least some of them."

Smith threw for 1,734 yards while completing 51.7 percent of his passes for the Ravens from 2007-09 and San Francisco 49ers in 2010.

One of Smith's eight starts came against the Steelers, and the 6-feet, 217-pounder led the Ravens to a 27-21 win in Baltimore in the regular-season finale. Smith completed 16 of 27 passes for 171 yards and one touchdown and two interceptions in that game.

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
F**k I love this!

steelersbabex25
01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Is this super unexpected..or have I just been out of it lately..

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Does this mean a house cleaning to the QB's we have now? Personally TS can win some games if need be!

Raleigh Steel
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
nice knowing you dennis dixon....not really :nahnah:

chisteeler
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I like this signing. Nice addition. Not too old, yet has NFL experience.

cmerrifield
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I always liked Smith, I thought he should have kept his starting job with the 49ers a couple years ago. I thought he showed enough.

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I bet Woodley can't wait to hit his *** in practice, lol!

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-20-2012, 02:22 PM
I love it, being an OSU fan

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 03:03 PM
This one came in under the radar, as nobody was really talking about it much. It's a good signing though. You can't have too many athletes on your team and Smith definitely fits that mold.

This is a pretty good sign that Dixon won't be back, as if we didn't speculate on that already. Perhaps Smith makes it as the #3 QB now and they let Leftwich or Batch go. They won't let both go though.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Well i had the pleasure of watching him at Glenville where he played high school football, also at OSU, he is a winner and had not he got sick he would of started instead of Wacco, If he keeps his head on right we will have a excellent back up who is capable of starting if need be, he had good games against our defense, and i know he wants to pay back the RATS,i'm really excited about this signing, plus we are getting a new OC to hopefully Tom Clemens:crossfingers:Good bye Dixon, and Leftwhich

connecticutsteel
01-20-2012, 06:13 PM
not a bad pick up .Is he a prior clone sorta like dixon?

Zachintosh66
01-20-2012, 07:33 PM
not a bad pick up .Is he a prior clone sorta like dixon?

If Dixon and Pryor are better athletes but its only by a small fraction, Troy is by far the better passer of the 3...

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
This is excellent! Troy Smith is better then Dennis Dixon and his mobility is a real need considering the current condition of the O-line. This is an upgrade.

See..............free agency can be a good thing!

Dobre Shunka
01-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Good p/u Tomlin has the throttle now good or bad

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 11:14 PM
With Arians gone, and the addition of Smith, we have all ready improved.

OldSchool58
01-20-2012, 11:49 PM
So we get rid of BA and sign Troy Smith on the same day? Daaaamn! Is it just me or is anyone else waiting on the other shoe to drop? It's like Christmas and and a honeymoon all wrapped up into one.

Now, if we can just go out and get a fullback..........

JollyRob68
01-21-2012, 02:15 AM
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHO WE GET AS AN OC.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2012, 12:23 PM
The more I think about this move the more I like it, Smith is a guy that you could also put into a Slash type of role. I like the possibilities this has and while he's no sure thing to make the roster it's something to watch come training camp.

Stone
01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Not sure how I feel about this?

You typically want a signing for a 2nd or 3rd string QB to be a season veteran and not a guy who has simply never been able to crack the starting lineup and therefore was shuffled from team to team.

Just not sure!

JollyRob68
01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I did not like seeing him argue like a B*tch on the sidelines with his coach Mike Singletary. I thought he was a cancer to the 49ers. However We need better,healthier & younger backups than Batch & Leftwhich

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
There's a reason he was able to be signed to a reserve contract like this so he's going to have to his job. With the cap the way it is and the Steelers going through a chance at coordinator now he'll get his chance to make an impact.

If he does still have an attitude he'll have to lose that right away or he won't have time to get his locker room seat warm.

Stone
01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
I did not like seeing him argue like a B*tch on the sidelines with his coach Mike Singletary. I thought he was a cancer to the 49ers. However We need better,healthier & younger backups than Batch & Leftwhich

I hate divas too but Singletary may be the worst head coach in the history of the NFL...............time will tell.

jnes1216
01-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Is Batch being subtlely shown the door? I'm OK with a complete revamping of the backup QB position. I didn't really have a problem with Batch, Lefty, or Dixon all three had their strengths. I think Smith is a good signing if Batch retires, and Dixon prob. won't be resigned.