PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Bruce Arians officially announces retirement

JShare86
01-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Bruce Arians has retired per the steelers officail twitter account and homepage:

Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching. I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team’s offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.

coldrolled
01-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Bruce Arians has retired per the steelers officail twitter acc

:cope::cope::cope::cope: Freakin A :cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

#1 here we come.... :yellowthumb:

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-20-2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Statement-from-Coach-Mike-Tomlin-on-Arians/14896ae0-805e-4d3c-b446-e62bd0207498 Got what we wished for. ???

coldrolled
01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Statement from Coach Mike Tomlin on Arians

Posted 9 minutes ago

Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching. I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team’s offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.

cmerrifield
01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Bye bye, BA. We promise to find someone else to complain about. :D

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

JensK
01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
CHAMPIONSHIP!

SteelerNC
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM
woooooooohooooooooo

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
The Steeler Nation finally got what it wished for.

For what it's worth, while it was a tumultuous run it was a productive run and they won a lot of games. I'll be writing a full article on this later today.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Who will the replacement be?

K Train
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
i just came.

bring in haley, hes very sound and not a madden player coodinator

chisteeler
01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
All the more reason to have a few beers after work! Now the next waiting game takes place to see who is hired or promoted.

steelersgal86
01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
:woot: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

steelersbabex25
01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I just saw this was announced 20 minutes ago and I immediately came here to post it. Should have known that it would have been posted the second it happened.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 12:46 PM
I have to believe Arians was forced out. The team probably nudged him pretty hard to just retire. That way both parties look good in the eyes of the public.

It was time for a change regardless.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2012, 12:47 PM
i just came.

bring in haley, hes very sound and not a madden player coodinator

I wouldn't mind Haley at all.........I think he could some nice things with the Steelers offense....The interior of the OL must upgraded no matter who the OC is.....

Whoever the OC is that some fans will constantly still complain.....lol Its poor execution by the Steelers offense at times in key moments that killed this team this year as well.....But BA had to go no doubt in my mind......

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 12:49 PM
:woot: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Arians was a grade "C" at best as a coordinator. We just need to make sure that we hire
a real cooridinator who pays attention to detail and adjust his calling to his personell. And calls the right play at the right time. Something that Arians did little of while he was here.

steelersbabex25
01-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I have to believe Arians was forced out. The team probably nudged him pretty hard to just retire. That way both parties look good in the eyes of the public.

Well the good news for Bruce Arians is that there's a lot of head coaching jobs available around the league :yesnod: I'm sure all those teams were waiting on the edges of their seats to see if they would be able to snatch him up.

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Well the good news for Bruce Arians is that there's a lot of head coaching jobs available around the league :yesnod: I'm sure all those teams were waiting on the edges of their seats to see if they would be able to snatch him up.

I would love for another team to snatch him up. That would be one more team I could put an "X" through for the following season along with the Denver Broncos.

UKSTEELER
01-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm frikin ecstatic, . . can't stop smiling . . . . :banana::banana::yesnod::bunny::banana:

SteelDad
01-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Don't rule out Jim Caldwell....

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 12:58 PM
If your an available offensive coordinator, there is no better option on the market now then ours.
Look at the weapons the OC gets to work with!!?? Look at the QB he gets to work with ??!!

I think we will get the best available guy because of what our offense brings.

K Train
01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't mind Haley at all.........I think he could some nice things with the Steelers offense....The interior of the OL must upgraded no matter who the OC is.....

Whoever the OC is that some fans will constantly still complain.....lol Its poor execution by the Steelers offense at times in key moments that killed this team this year as well.....But BA had to go no doubt in my mind......

its not even his high pass/run ratio that bothered me i really just think he was bad with x's and o's and an overall ****** gameplanner

steelersbabex25
01-20-2012, 01:01 PM
A delayed handoff in your own endzone...the play that defines Bruce Arians' entire tenure with the Steelers.

JensK
01-20-2012, 01:02 PM
its not even his high pass/run ratio that bothered me i really just think he was bad with x's and o's and an overall ****** gameplanner

I'm actually pretty sure that BAs playbook was pretty good. At times, he'd call a perfect first couple of drives, only to stop thinking at all later on in the game. We need someone who could take BAs playbook and actually make the right calls at the right time imo. (Obviously, he should bring his own playbook, but you get the point).

coldrolled
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM

:yellowthumb:

Plus attacking weaknesses in the game plan before the game starts and then adjusting while the game is being played... He gets an F for that.

connecticutsteel
01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
85 to 90% chance that it is Randy Fitchner's job if he wants it the good news is Ben knows him .the problem is he is unproven.

igor0190
01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Sometimes change is good, regardless. Look at how Kugler and Lake improved their respective units. I think Ben learned all he could from Arians, and a change will be good for the whole Offense.

OldSchool58
01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Oh the irony.........just last night I told God that he could take 10 years off my life if he'd just help us get rid of Arians......

What the hell, it was worth every damn minute.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2012, 01:09 PM

I know Ktrain I'm just saying no matter who the OC is some fans will always complain.......I can't wait to hear the complaints next year when the offense struggles at times.....:lol:

I hope they keep most of the offense intact no matter who the OC is but just make minor tweaks in it......Next OC must game plan better and attack a defenses weakness to create mismatches....Arians failed at that big time besides the red zone issues.....We all saw Ben have a great red zone year in 2007 when he threw 32 TD passes ( I think 20+ were in the red zone) and that is without a super freak WR or TE.......So I didn't understand why Arians would try to pound the ball 5 yards and in with this crappy OL....lol Unless that was the order from the Art II when he was so passionate on the Steelers being a better running team.........

Johnson and Saunders both had TD catches this year.....Arians failed bad at using all his player consistently at times with the passing game.......I'm not saying either of these guys will be Gronk in the red zone but I was tired of the same old predictable crap in the red zone......

Raleigh Steel
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
all i can say is...

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

JollyRob68
01-20-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm frikin ecstatic, . . can't stop smiling . . . . :banana::banana::yesnod::bunny::banana:

:tt02::cope::greenbounce2::bunny::clap::cope:

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 01:16 PM
I just ripped though my pants!

MattyVfromCT
01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO HALELUJAH PRAISE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

UKSTEELER
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't think I'd have been much happier if we'd have won the Superbowl, . . seriously!:greenbounce2:

JollyRob68
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Caldwell as a QB coach. Has anyone seen him move his mouth during a game?
Some People wondered about Tom Clements as OC?

connecticutsteel
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
FORMER COLTS HEAD COACH JIM CALDWELL IS FRIENDS WITH TOMLIN OH NO!

--- Added 1/20/2012 at 11:25 AM ---

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO HALELUJAH PRAISE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

IN THE IMMORTAL WORDS OF MARV ALBERT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

IV'E GOT WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
So who is getting drunk tonight since BA is gone?....lol

Number99
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Finally.... goodbye BA. Now can the Steelers get back to a more balanced offense, maybe get a real FB on the roster this year!

Raleigh Steel
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
So who is getting drunk tonight since BA is gone?....lol

i don't drink, but my wife is getting some tonight for sure. :banana:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Word is that the Rams are already extremely interested in Arians' services. If he were to go there it would add fuel to the fire that he was pushed out.

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 01:44 PM
But if they don't fix that O-line, it doesn't matter who the O-coordinator is. The mantra for the off-season should be, "FIX THE OFFENSIVE LINE" because it's offensive to the team.

SteelCityKid5
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5HXZRQFss

coldrolled
01-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Word is that the Rams are already extremely interested in Arians' services. If he were to go there it would add fuel to the fire that he was pushed out.

We fired him with style...

I bet if the strike was not on the horizon last year, he was already gone then.

I was hoping the Bengals would hire him for the HC.

Raleigh Steel
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM

pushed...shoved...dragged...manhandled...drive blocked...it doesn't matter as long as they got rid of him!

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
pushed...shoved...dragged...manhandled...drive blocked...it doesn't matter as long as they got rid of him!

If they pushed him out, then that's good. Shows Tomlin really does have a pair of balls. Because I was starting to think Tomlin was nothing but a puppet with a hole in back where management makes his mouth move.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
But if they don't fix that O-line, it doesn't matter who the O-coordinator is. The mantra for the off-season should be, "FIX THE OFFENSIVE LINE" because it's offensive to the team.

Indeed, whether it's Fichtner, Clements, or anyone else the OL is top priority.

I would love to hear what Ben has to say about this announcement, which I'm sure he knew was coming for awhile now.

Big T
01-20-2012, 02:05 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__AX8fX79fd4/RyrA4fifc-I/AAAAAAAAAAc/OQ1z6QofUC4/s400/happy+and+excited.jpeg

I am all for Todd Haley as the new OC.

steelersbabex25
01-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I bet the conversation went something like.."we can either announce that we let you go, or we can announce that you told us you were retiring."

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
F U BA!

darnik44
01-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Thank God!

NHStlrfan
01-20-2012, 02:47 PM
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO EXPRESS MY JUBILATION!!!!!!!:greenbounce2::banana::banana::gr eenbounce2::cope::tt02::cope::cope::yellowthumb::g reenbounce2::banana::clap::clap::clap::hilarious:: bunny::yesnod::banana:

--- Added 1/20/2012 at 12:47 PM ---

It's not the O-Line, it's empty set, 5 wide and going deep. Can't block for 8 seconds. Use the short game, play action, TEs and that line is just fine.

Goodfrom55
01-20-2012, 03:02 PM
One way to fix the O-line is with a extra bloker - A Fullback.

Hoping they go outside the organization for a breath of fresh air.

Good Luck Bruce in your retirement. Hope you love it so much you never come back.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-20-2012, 03:04 PM
WOO HOO!!

tburg68
01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Anyone who watched the Steelers in the redzone the last two years loves this announcement.

Anyone who says becareful what you wish for is stupid.

cmerrifield
01-20-2012, 03:14 PM
I am happy with this, but I dont want a fullback and a 3 yards and a cloud of dust OC either. With our talent at WR and RB, we have become the early 2000 Colts on offense. We do not need to run out of 2 TE or 1 TE and FB sets anymore. You put Wallace, Brown and Sanders as the starting three WR's and the safeties will have to stay deep and the opposing team will have to stay in the nickel or get burned. I think going back to a FB and run first offense will be worse than BA. Our goal line with all three TE's and Legs will suffice for short yardage. We just need one more GOOD interior lineman.

chisteeler
01-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Hopefully the two organizations don't do something foolish and try to work a deal for Ben to go with him for other players and draft picks. I know that is a total long shot, but stranger things have happened. :thinking:

xBlitzBurghx
01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Our offense will score 40 plus points a game now lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

cmerrifield
01-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Hopefully the two organizations don't do something foolish and try to work a deal for Ben to go with him for other players and draft picks. I know that is a total long shot, but stranger things have happened. :thinking:

No way, Ben needs at least one more year off his contract before we could take the cap hit to move Ben. Also, he has been behaving lately and came of a pretty good year. The Steelers are not looking to move Ben out.

steelersbabex25
01-20-2012, 03:20 PM

Not in a million years. Ben will stay a Steeler for his entire career.

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Not in a million years. Ben will stay a Steeler for his entire career.

Which hopefully just got longer with this axe!

TampaSteelGirl
01-20-2012, 03:36 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__AX8fX79fd4/RyrA4fifc-I/AAAAAAAAAAc/OQ1z6QofUC4/s400/happy+and+excited.jpeg

I am all for Todd Haley as the new OC.

You have pretty blonde hair!!!! :)

:nono: Todd Haley

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm goin to be honest , id be a little let down if fichtner was promoted to oc. But right now, I'm happy as ever! Good luck to ba wherever he goes

PITTxPRIDE
01-20-2012, 03:44 PM
SUPREBOWL....HERE WE COME

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
SUPREBOWL....HERE WE should of CAME

Fixed!

Troyisabeast_43
01-20-2012, 03:52 PM

I agree with you Matt. I dont believe this is something that just happened overnight. I think Tomlin and Colbert and the Rooney's have been evaluating this situation for the past 2 weeks and I think they all agreed that it was time for Arians to go and that a change was needed in the playcalling. When you have as many weapons as the Steelers do on offense it was inexcusable for them to be ranked 20th in total offense this season. As you said, they most likely met with Arians and told him that we have enough respect for you in terms of what you have done for this organization the past 7-8 seasons that we will make it sound as if you retired and left on your own terms. If that is true that is a classy move on the Steelers part...

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Rooney's + FO to Tomlin: It's him or you BOTH!

steelchamp204
01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Get us a damn OC who likes to use a FB

tat2
01-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Get us a damn OC who likes to use a FB

this!!! and one that knows david johnson is not a fb.

coldrolled
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
this!!! and one that knows david johnson is not a fb.

85 may get signed/traded with BA's new team...

We need an OC that is the opposite of Arians...

He needs to be an OC working with a team now that is using a bottom 20 QB, and has his team scoring more points than arians ever could.. That OC could take our offense and make it a top 5.

If we get an OC with a good QB or strong Defense, he may be another Arians who looks good at 12-4 because his team is good.

We need to be careful.

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
A true FB please: LEGS???

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-20-2012, 05:05 PM
If it weren't for SA this might not have happened.

jpele
01-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm thrilled BA has retired, now my stomach is turning thinking Tomlin will be interviewing people for the position. If you recall it was Tomlin that promoted BA and refused to correct his mistake.

All I ask is for Tomlin to prove my fears are unfounded.

JensK
01-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Rumors and speculations has it that they are pretty keen on promoting someone from within the organization, but we'll see. There will be plenty of rumors the coming days.

Diehardsteel
01-20-2012, 05:52 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! :dance3::danceshout::grin1:

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-20-2012, 05:53 PM
@jimwexell on twitter speculating Caldwell could be hired. Tbh, I'm not to excited to see that .

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 06:23 PM
@jimwexell on twitter speculating Caldwell could be hired. Tbh, I'm not to excited to see that .

Just speculation. Until they interview someone, everyone is just speculation.

JensK
01-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Well, Jim Caldwell worked wonders with Manning so who knows... I would much rather see Haley though. Get a real character guy in there to fire up the offense.

Mike Tomlin
01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
I would love for Schott to come here or even Hue Jackson. Their is no point in promoting some one from within it's time for new ideas and new plays.

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 06:45 PM

No thanks! No rush IMO!

Diehardsteel
01-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Well, Jim Caldwell worked wonders with Manning so who knows... I would much rather see Haley though. Get a real character guy in there to fire up the offense.

Manning worked wonders with Manning. I agree with you about Haley though. I'd love to see him on our sideline next year.

Nolrog
01-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Manning worked wonders with Manning. I agree with you about Haley though. I'd love to see him on our sideline next year.

Manning also had a pretty good OL and the refs would throw roughing the QB penalties on anyone that even farted in his direction.

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Look what happened when 18 didn't play! The dude had no clue!

coldrolled
01-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Look what happened when 18 didn't play! The dude had no clue!

We want an OC that made mediocre QB's look good.

We already had the OC that looked good because of everyone elses talent.

cmerrifield
01-20-2012, 08:13 PM

Cam Cameron? :)

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

Diehardsteel
01-20-2012, 08:14 PM

:plus1:

BR7
01-20-2012, 08:15 PM
the beer is gonna go down smooooooooooooooooth tonight, that's for effing sure!

JensK
01-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I find it quite hilarious that people are calling out Caldwell for being a bad candidate because he sucked as headcoach and then in the same sentence mentions Haley as candidate. It is not that I don't agree that Haley would be awesome or anything.. Its just rather ironic.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I find it quite hilarious that people are calling out Caldwell for being a bad candidate because he sucked as headcoach and then in the same sentence mentions Haley as candidate. It is not that I don't agree that Haley would be awesome or anything.. Its just rather ironic.

He's never had to coordinate an offense...Haley has and has done it successfully.

SuperSteelers
01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Am I dreaming? Is this for real? WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

SteelCityVoice
01-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Sure looks like Peyton Manning ran that offense.

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 09:45 PM
With Joe Philbin's hiring Friday as head coach of the Miami Dolphins on Friday, you can likely cross Green Bay QB coach Tom Clements off the list for potential Bruce Arians replacements.

It's likely that Clements will get the first shot to replace Philbin as Green Bay's offensive coordinator. So unless he has a burning desire to come back to Pittsburgh – where he grew up – to join the Steelers staff for a second time, it's unlikely Clements will be the man.

Arians, of course, "retired" on Friday after being with the Steelers since 2004, including the past five seasons as offensive coordinator.

Randy Fichtner would be the top candidate from within the organization to replace Arians.

The top two outside candidates could be a pair of fired NFL head coaches, Kansas City's Todd Haley and Indianapolis' Jim Caldwell.

Haley is a Pittsburgh native whose father - a McDonald native – Dick was a longtime personnel man for the Steelers.

Caldwell, meanwhile, coaches with Tomlin under Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay and the two maintain a relationship.

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 11:07 PM
I'd rather have Haley. I've seen his work and I love what he did in Arizona. Caldwell I"m unfamiliar with and you can't use Indy's offense as a borometer because that's Tom Moore's doing.

connecticutsteel
01-21-2012, 12:53 AM
What about Jim Tressel or Brian Billick?

StlersGuy
01-21-2012, 01:16 AM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

What about Jim Tressel or Brian Billick?

and plz dont ever say Jom Tressel's name as a anytype of Coach for us. Beides the Dolts are going to make him there head coach and I cant wait cause an NFL team coached by him will SUCK.. :lol:

Forged in Steel
01-21-2012, 04:26 AM
FINALLY! THE STEELERS' OFFENSE IS SAVED! NOW, GET A REAL OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR! :stirpot::yellowthumb:

NYCsteelersfan
01-21-2012, 04:24 PM
i just came.

LOL

I know Ktrain I'm just saying no matter who the OC is some fans will always complain.......I can't wait to hear the complaints next year when the offense struggles at times.....:lol:

There is no doubt the offense will continue to struggle if we open the season with the same offensive line.

Arians was terrible. As others pointed out, he couldn't call a game. He was kind of like an idiot with a million dollars. However, we would've had more success even with that idiot if we had an offensive line, but it turns out that Arians was an idiot with a million dollars and the offensive line was like the leachy entourage. The two combined equaled disaster for the offense.

--- Added 1/21/2012 at 02:24 PM ---

I don't know if anyone else posted this, but I just read an ESPN report stating that the decision to force Arians out came from someone higher up in the organization than Tomlin, and that Tomlin's intentions were to retain Arians.

If true, it's fantastic news because it means someone in the organization is actually aware that Tomlin may be a mistake.

steelers75
01-21-2012, 07:43 PM
If true, it's fantastic news because it means someone in the organization is actually aware that Tomlin may be a mistake.

Yep, that's what it means, all right.

Moron.

Nolrog
01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
LOL

However, we would've had more success even with that idiot if we had an offensive line, but it turns out that Arians was an idiot with a million dollars and the offensive line was like the leachy entourage.

I read an interesting article on another site that I'm not allowed to mention the name of, but posted that Arians had always been pretty consistent in terms of poor OL play (specifically with respect to sacks given up (2.7 per game) and yards per carry from his backs (3.96 yards per attempt)). He showed stats that made the case that these numbers were always mediocre (at best) even back in his days with the Browns.

It sort of takes you in the direction that the poor OL play is at least partly a factor of his coaching style (perhaps as much as it is a function of the linemen he has.)

coach
01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
What an off-season already!:greenbounce2: And, we haven't even made a draft pick yet. I think I just saved myself a bunch of money because I won't have to chase my Sunday afternoon beer with four or five scotches after I see a bubble screen almost get picked off and run back for 6 in a game where we are only leading by 4 points.

How many Steeler fans can leave their viagara in the medicine cabinet this week?:banana:

WOO HOO!

LatrobePA
01-21-2012, 09:33 PM
MULTIPLE FACTORS LED TO END OF OC ARIANS' TIME IN PITTSBURGH
NFL.com
Published: January 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Bruce Arians' departure from the Pittsburgh Steelers officially was labeled a retirement , but a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora on Saturday that the assistant coach was told that his contract would not be renewed this offseason.

The source said Arians wasn't fired.

A report in Saturday's edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reveals that the decision to end Arians' five-year tenure as Steelers offensive coordinator was made by people other than Arians.

The Post-Gazette reported, citing sources inside and outside the organization, that coach Mike Tomlin told Arians more than once since the team's playoff loss to Denver that he wanted him to return. The newspaper reported that Arians told his assistants and others that he planned to be back with the team in 2012, but sources said the decision to part ways with Arians came from someone higher up in the organization than Tomlin.

The Post-Gazette reported team president Art Rooney II appears to be the guy who pulled the trigger.

A league source told La Canfora that quarterback coach Randy Fichtner is an in-house option to replace Arians.

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi said that running backs coach Kirby Wilson could have been a candidate to fill the vacant spot, but his health makes that unlikely . Wilson sustained burns to his arms and legs in a house fire in early January.

The Post-Gazette reported Arians could not be reached.

The Steelers produced two 1,000-yard receivers this season in Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown, and the team had its best per-carry average (4.4 yards) since 2001. The Post-Gazette reported that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger , who was close to Arians, is not happy with the move.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
Facebook
Twitter

Prosdo
01-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow dreams do come true lmao

NYCsteelersfan
01-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Yep, that's what it means, all right.

Moron.

Moron is reserved for the two people that took the time to raise you.

--- Added 1/21/2012 at 08:59 PM ---

It sort of takes you in the direction that the poor OL play is at least partly a factor of his coaching style (perhaps as much as it is a function of the linemen he has.)

It's a possibility that I wouldn't rule out. I used to think it was fact, and blamed many of the sacks on the predictability of the pass due to a severe inconsistency with rushing plays. But because the protection seemed to get considerably worse once Faneca left, I have to believe the personnel on the line is definitely part of the problem. They may be exposed even more with the play-calling.

It's not just the sacks. Sacks don't reveal how bad this offensive line is because Roethlisberger's ability to scramble saves him from even more sacks that other quarterbacks would never be able to escape. Then you also have to factor in all the times he just throws it away or makes a horrific pass because the sack was right there.

He rarely has comfortable time in the pocket, not even 3 seconds sometimes.