PDA

View Full Version : I'm going on record as saying I want(ed) Grimm

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 10:52 PM
As I write this there is still no definitive word as to who our new HC will be but Fox is stating that it is Tomlin now...so rather than wait till later...

Everybody who's been on here since BC left knows I wanted either Grimm or Whiz. Since Whiz is gone now I wanted Grimm and I didn't / don't want Tomlin.

-Grimm knows our team and coaches
-Knows our system
-Has the respect of the players, they listen to him
-Has worked his Ben his whole career with us, which is important for his continued growth and maturity as our QB
-Works with the OL which is vital to our running game and Ben's protection.
-Yeah they stunk alot of 2006, but so did the whole team so I don't want to hear anything about the OL.
-If it aint broke don't fix it,and I don't believe our team is broken.
-Why bring in a coach from the outside to completely throw off the continuity of the team and everything that has been built for all these years that got us to the playoffs so many times and got us our 5th SB.
-We didnt suddenly become a bad team in 2006 after winning it all in 2005 which goes back to my earlier point of it aint broken.
-Our coaching staff, well what's left of it is a good group. The ones that did leave can be replaced with the right talent that Grimm could have a big hand in bringing in to fit our system
-Grimm is an offensive minded guy who can really work with Ben and the troops while Lebeau stays and helps us bring in some more talent at LB for our 34 zone blitz
-We're not a cover 2 team, sure we've played it here and there to mix things up but when we are at our best we are in the zone blitz confusing the QB.
-Cover 2 is not a confusing, blitzing style defense.
-We're not a 43 team, we're not built for it. If he tries to integrate it with us it's going to cost us games atleast early on, mark my words.
-The guy has been here for a long time and lonegity speaks volumes with our team.

So yes, if Tomlin is brought on I will still stay on record as saying I wanted Grimm, and IF we struggle in 2007 I will be here to say I told ya so !

That's my story and Im stickin to it :redcool:

DIESELMAN
01-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Who were the asst coaches when Cowher came in? I'll have to look it up. I agree with you on a lot of things Top. I wanted Grimm to but I'll accept Tomlin from what I've heard about him. Yeah we're not built for a cover2 or a 4-3 system but what if he stays with what we got? we don't know that yet...he could see how successful the 3-4 has been for us and see that we don't need a whole lot in the draft to maintain our 3-4. He is an intelligent man and hopefully(lot of praying here) he will not change our D. I also hope he keeps Grimm as OC(if Grimm wants it that is...he's probably pissed). We shall see Top.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 11:00 PM
blah blah blah......i don't get the whole he knows are system bs, our system sucks, if it wasn't for whiz our system is nothing, the only in house person that would've been good is whiz....grimm would have sucked here, it would've been horrible.....and now, at least we can start fresh and try to win with a totally new guy, instead of just stay the same....staying the same never works, teams figure you out to easy....hiring grimm would've been the easy way out and would not have worked out at all.........grimm will be a failure where ever he goes, cause he's a product of cowher...the only person that has a chance to succeed is whiz, but he made cowher who he is right now and that's a superbowl champ....cowher for years has failed the city of pittsburgh and all the steeler fans around the world and would've failed us again if it wasn't for whiz and his great play calling in the playoffs.............

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Blah Blah start fresh !! We don't need to start fresh. Starting fresh is for teams like the Raiders and last years Saints, the Cards, etc. We're not in that situation. Any coach that comes in off the streets generally brings in alot of his own coaches either from his previous teams, or from another team.

Cowher brought in several new coaches and only keep a few from Noll's staff. When Cowher got here we needed a fresh start and new look and Cowher gave us that. We don't need a new look or a fresh start.

Im telling ya, I have a wierd feelings things are going to be A LOT different for us and if they are it's going to cost us games early on and that's going to hurt us late in the season.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Blah Blah start fresh !! We don't need to start fresh. Starting fresh is for teams like the Raiders and last years Saints, the Cards, etc. We're not in that situation. Any coach that comes in off the streets generally brings in alot of his own coaches either from his previous teams, or from another team.

Cowher brought in several new coaches and only keep a few from Noll's staff. When Cowher got here we needed a fresh start and new look and Cowher gave us that. We don't need a new look or a fresh start.

Im telling ya, I have a wierd feelings things are going to be A LOT different for us and if they are it's going to cost us games early on and that's going to hurt us late in the season.

i can feel that you are doubting the rooney's, all this shows you have no faith in what the rooney's are doing lol.......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh you are one to talk ! :lol:

Koopa: I hate the Rooneys, the Rooney's suck, they don't know what they're doing

Koopa
01-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Oh you are one to talk ! :lol:

Koopa: I hate the Rooneys, the Rooney's suck, they don't know what they're doing

i do hate the rooneys, they won't change the grass lol

Steelersfan
01-21-2007, 11:34 PM
The only coach Cowher kept when he came on was Hoak who just recently retired. But he did stick with the 3-4.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 11:42 PM
You're right, I thought he kept a few of them but that was a long time ago :lol:

I could be proven wrong and if I am and Tomlin works out well for us then I will eat my words, but if Im right I will tell Koopa especially that I told ya so ;)

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:02 AM
You're right, I thought he kept a few of them but that was a long time ago :lol:

I could be proven wrong and if I am and Tomlin works out well for us then I will eat my words, but if Im right I will tell Koopa especially that I told ya so ;)

if we fail, it might not even be tomlins fault, it could've happened to grimm too lol, except it's for sure grimm will fail cause he's fat lol

Ambridge
01-22-2007, 12:04 AM

I'm tending to agree with you Top.
A whole new coaching staff with new schemes on both sides of the ball could mean a tough and very long transition period.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:05 AM
will y'all stop being so damn negative lol......why is it, it can go bad, why isn't it, it's gonna be badass for us???

BB2W
01-22-2007, 12:08 AM
I was pulling for Grimm too, but I like what I've heard about Tomlin at the same time. I think Tomlin will be successfull wherever he coaches... so why not here?

I will back whoever they select as head coach and I welcome "change" in scheme, personell, or playbook... if it makes them better.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Because you're so damn gung ho on hating Grimm and thinking that Tomlin is some sort of god, and the guy hasn't even done anything yet.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Because you're so damn gung ho on hating Grimm and thinking that Tomlin is some sort of god, and the guy hasn't even done anything yet.

either has grimm, hell all grimm is, is a oline coach that got the title of assistant head coach cause they felt bad no one would hire him as a head coach.....tomlin has at least been a coordinator, and he turned a pretty ****** defense into a pretty good one, a defense that was ranked higher then us......grimm didn't always get his guys to play their best................tomlin at least got a pos group of defenders to be pretty good

Friday133
01-22-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm tending to agree with you Top.
A whole new coaching staff with new schemes on both sides of the ball could mean a tough and very long transition period.

I'm sure the same thing was said when Cowher took over in 92. Really we're all fans here, we don't know the full story on what he said he was going to do during the interview process.

Ambridge
01-22-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm sure the same thing was said when Cowher took over in 92. Really we're all fans here, we don't know the full story on what he said he was going to do during the interview process.

You're correct but with change of any sort there's going to be an adjustment period and I hope the Steelers have a smooth one with Tomlin.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes but we were stinking up the joint when Cowher got here in 92. Our team was getting old, out played mostly, and generally needed change. This current team isn't in that position.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:23 AM
we stunk up the joint this year too.........and if for a late season run we would've stunk up last year too......and if maddox didn't break we would've stunk up that year too lol.......

augustashark
01-22-2007, 12:28 AM
blah blah blah......i don't get the whole he knows are system bs, our system sucks, if it wasn't for whiz our system is nothing, the only in house person that would've been good is whiz....grimm would have sucked here, it would've been horrible.....and now, at least we can start fresh and try to win with a totally new guy, instead of just stay the same....staying the same never works, teams figure you out to easy....hiring grimm would've been the easy way out and would not have worked out at all.........grimm will be a failure where ever he goes, cause he's a product of cowher...the only person that has a chance to succeed is whiz, but he made cowher who he is right now and that's a superbowl champ....cowher for years has failed the city of pittsburgh and all the steeler fans around the world and would've failed us again if it wasn't for whiz and his great play calling in the playoffs.............

Yea, tell that to the 49'ers when Walsh left!

Whiz made cowher????

your posts are all the same!

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Yea, tell that to the 49'ers when Walsh left!

Whiz made cowher????

your posts are all the same!

well no ****, i stick to my opinion............

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Yes koopa or iceman..maybe we should just call you..

Koopman or Iceopa or something.. you are entitled to your wrong opinion :lol:

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Yes koopa or iceman..maybe we should just call you..

Koopman or Iceopa or something.. you are entitled to your wrong opinion :lol:

lol, you are really pissed, it's funny, but your not as fun as me, come on, argue more lol

Steelersfan
01-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Gotta give him credit for sticking with what he thinks even if his thinking is a little crazy sometimes.....lol
I for one liked all three finalists and really didn't have one that stood out to me. They all have their good and bad to them. I'm actually kind of glad we got someone young who can lite a fire under this team again. Something I thought they lacked last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 12:43 AM
lol, you are really pissed, it's funny, but your not as fun as me, come on, argue more lol

I argued with you last night and I still didn't feel any better because your *** won't listen to reason :lol:

Im just saying the writing is on the wall for a potentially tough season. I hope not, and I will never stop bleeding black n gold, but it is there to some degree.

LatrobePA
01-22-2007, 01:13 AM
<QUOTE TOP GUN>Everybody who's been on here since BC left knows I wanted either Grimm or Whiz. Since Whiz is gone now I wanted Grimm and I didn't / don't want Tomlin.

The Rooney's just hit the refresh button on this team, we needed it!! Congrats Mike, welcome...

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Who says he gonna change everything?? A smart coach will the his players strengths... One of the highlights on the news cast had Tomlin saying he would basically do just that.. If he does decide to go cover 2 it doesn't mean he will do it right away, he'll probably phase it in... anyhow we should be waiting for the OFFICIAL announcement.

Steelerlyn
01-22-2007, 01:32 AM
The Cowher era is over and the Rooney's just wanna start over with a clean slate. When the Rooney's make the announcement I will believe it, not until. But no matter who is chosen, I am happy with them!~:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Oh trust me i am watching for an official announcement to make sure that this is real.

I never said he was going to change everything, I said that most coaches do that when they come; change things sometimes for good and sometimes it ends up being the wrong decision. He also said that he would do what he felt was best and that he was brought up in coaching with the Tampa 2 defense and a protege of Dungy, who also runs the same thing. Apples don't fall far from the tree and if he does phase us into something else, we're going to pay for it during that phase in time.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 01:42 AM
This is exactly what Im talking about here..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755830-66.stm

The hiring of Mr. Tomlin will represent a radical change in at least the way the Steelers play defense. Mr. Tomlin has coached a 4-3 defense in Minnesota and is a proponent of the Cover-2 or Tampa-2 style. The Steelers played a 3-4 during Mr. Cowher's 15-year tenure using the zone blitz.

While all Steelers assistant coaches are under contract, many of them likely will not be retained by Mr. Tomlin. Wide receivers coach Bruce Arians could be the one exception. He could become offensive coordinator under Mr. Tomlin.

For sure, Mr. Grimm will leave. The Steelers likely will allow him out of his contract under the circumstances.

Dick LeBeau, in his second tenure as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, is unlikely to remain in that capacity under a head coach who believes in the 4-3 defense.

Mr. Tomlin is expected to visit the current Steelers coaching staff this week in Mobile, Ala., where the coaches are scouting the Senior Bowl practices.

One defensive coach who could join Mr. Tomlin's staff is Brett Maxie, who coached the Atlanta Falcons' defensive backs under head coach Jim Mora, who was fired after the season. Also, Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler coached with Mr. Tomlin in college at Memphis and Arkansas State.

Buchette is usually on the money and I enjoy reading his articles and insight into the Steelers. This tells me what I said before in this thread, the change is coming and it's a whole new era. This team has been built for the last 15 years as a on zone blitz 34 team. Every single defensive player is built and was groomed for it, hand chosen if you will. The cover 2 is completely different and I don't care if he springs it on us right away or takes years to try and develop it, we're going to suffer and struggle for awhile.

If we don't I will eat my words, but at this point that's my thoughts.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 01:43 AM
quit reposting my **** lol

he's a good writer except for the fact that he says mr a million times

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 01:47 AM
:lol: you just beat me to it with that article :lol:

Yep, that's the only thing that annoys me to no end, Mr this and Mr that !

Koopa
01-22-2007, 01:48 AM
that article actually deserves it's own thread since it's even got you believing lol, so post it up mr gun lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 01:50 AM
:lol: hell no, then we'll have 3 threads with it and we'll get all confused :lol:

Steelerlyn
01-22-2007, 02:04 AM
:lol: hell no, then we'll have 3 threads with it and we'll get all confused :lol:

We certainly are clear thinking now with all the bogus reports from the media waiting to jump on anything. It really devalues the respect the new head coach deserves..........whoever the Rooney's announce whenever they announce it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 02:26 AM
It also discredits the media for putting up so many false rumors. :nonod:

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-22-2007, 02:44 AM
I hate that we will probably be switching to a 4-3. But the viking fans seems ready to throw in the towel. They do not like losing tomlin.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Considering the vikings defense was downright awful in 2005, then Tomlin came in 2006 and turned them into a top 5 NFL defense yeah I'd be pissed too. In their case though it was some players added, lost, and strategy tweaked because they already ran a 43 there.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 04:29 AM
All I'm going to say is lets just wait and see what happens. We don't know for sure he will switch the defense. Just because Eddie thinks he will doesn't mean Tomlin will.

AZ_Steeler
01-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm with you on this one too TG... I was pulling for Grimm as well but after reading a story on Yahoo last night I can see why Tomlin was their choice (if this is till the case). He's a young defensive minded coach which has fit the profile for the Steelers last 3 coaches. Considering the success the Steelers have had in their hirings Tomlin seems like the perfect fit and should continue the Steelers tradition of some hard nose football.

I think I was only pulling for Grimm because he's been a part of the Steelers and I know this team is very capable of winning another SB in the next year or two and I didn't want to see things get shaken up too much, but like "Iceman" said (aka Koopa) "sometimes change is good" :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Don't listen to Koopa he just likes to argue. He said he wanted Grimm or Whiz then when Whiz left he wanted Tomlin :lol:

The odds are in favor of this team struggling next season for this very reason, because of a possible change on defense. The offense should be ok because he wants to run the ball first as a priority so that should help our OL and RB get back into shape consistently and also keep the pressure off Ben, but if our defense is too busy trying to be something they aren't we're going to have a rough go of it, and for no good reason. Alas we shall see ;)

Friday133
01-22-2007, 11:40 AM
I like how the Steelers are cutting ties with the Cowher regime. While I wouldn't have minded Grimm, he never really seemed HC material to me. Now that he's been passed over 3 times for a HC position you have to wonder what he says during the interview process.

AZ_Steeler
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
It's going to be rough watching them struggle another year... but you know Kiesel and Smith could be converted to ends on the 4-3 and be pretty dominating I think :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Keisel, Smith, Hampton, Kirschke, etc. are 34 defensive players because they are a bit on the smaller side, well except for Casey ;) The 43 requires alot of huge guys down in front and 1 less LB on the field and we just don't have that personnel right now. They work well in the 43 because we have 4 big fast LB's and 3 DL that do the job right being able to drop into coverage in the zone blitz. You don't see many 43 defensive lineman dropping into coverage like we do. We're just not built for it and I do not want to see this team have a crappy at the expense of somebody wanting to do it HIS way.

Friday133
01-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't know why people think they are going to struggle. I also don't know why they think Lebeau is gone. Keep in mind, when Cowher was hired in 92, he hired Ron Erhardt to be his OC. Erhardt was brought in, because he was a former HC (Patriots) someone Cowher could learn from. I can see Lebeau being Tomlin's Ron Erhardt.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
If he wants to change our defense then its a sure bet that'll struggle some in 2007. Learning a new system isn't something that you can do in training camp and then show in Sept. and be dominating with right off the bat. If he does keep Lebeau and I sure as hell hope he does that will make things alot easier and the transition much more smooth.

BBG7
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
At First I was pulling for Grimm, until I watched his post interview questions with the media and watching Tomlin. Grimm was not sure of himself when the media was addressing him. He said something like I feel confident when to call timeouts and throw the red flag. I know I'll make mistakes and I will think one way while the fans in the stands think another way, and maybe I will be wrong. To me that's not a guy that is sure of himself, so I'm going to go on record saying I am happy Tomlin was chosen!!!!

Friday133
01-22-2007, 12:34 PM
At First I was pulling for Grimm, until I watched his post interview questions with the media and watching Tomlin. Grimm was not sure of himself when the media was addressing him. He said something like I feel confident when to call timeouts and throw the red flag. I know I'll make mistakes and I will think one way while the fans in the stands think another way, and maybe I will be wrong. To me that's not a guy that is sure of himself, so I'm going to go on record saying I am happy Tomlin was chosen!!!!

I agree. My wife was talking with someone from Chicago last week. The HC search come up in conversation. The guy from Chicago was suprised so many Pittsburghers wanted Grimm. He said Grimm didn't impress him and or others in Chicago a few years ago when he(Grimm) was interviewing for the Bears HC job. Being in the business of getting people hired(recruiter) it seems to me Grimm doesn't have the best interview skills.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 12:37 PM
He may not be a good interviewer, but he knows football. I mean for pete sakes Belichick is terrible at interviews at press conferences and nobody seems to mind. Im not saying Grimm would have been on the save coaching level as Belichick but rather that just because the guy doesn't want to say the wrong thing at an interview or when he's address the media before he's even got the job shouldnt be indicative of his potential performance.

Friday133
01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
He may not be a good interviewer, but he knows football. I mean for pete sakes Belichick is terrible at interviews at press conferences and nobody seems to mind. Im not saying Grimm would have been on the save coaching level as Belichick but rather that just because the guy doesn't want to say the wrong thing at an interview or when he's address the media before he's even got the job shouldnt be indicative of his potential performance.

All good points TG. However if he doens't interview well and Tomlin did, the Steelers needed to make a decision. I've seen it happen all the time, someone that looks good on paper and knows the industry but gets passed over because they didn't interview well.

BBG7
01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
I do want our coach to be confident in himself and his abilities and Grimm never showed me he was.