PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clements as OC ??

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Listening to the Fan 93.7 today I heard a very interesting name come up as a potential replacement for BA. He is a hometown guy and has been in the STEELERS organization before.Tom Clements per Wikipedia some interesting stats...

Coaching career

In 1992, Clements was hired as quarterbacks coach for Notre Dame, where he served until 1995 under head coach Lou Holtz. After practicing law in 1996, Clements took his first NFL job, working as the quarterback coach for the New Orleans Saints from 1997 to 1999. Clements would hold the same job in 2000 with the Kansas City Chiefs, and between 2001 and 2003 with the Pittsburgh Steelers; under Clements’s tutelage, the Chiefs’ Elvis Grbac (in 2000) and the Steelers’ Kordell Stewart (in 2001) and Tommy Maddox (in 2002) each reached the Pro Bowl.

In 2004 and 2005 Clements served as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills, but was released by the team after a front-office shakeup in which Marv Levy, his coach with the Chiefs in 1980, assumed the position of general manager and ultimately installed Dick Jauron as the team’s new head coach. Upon the hiring of Mike McCarthy to be the head coach of the Packers on January 11, 2006, the Packers parted ways with several assistant coaches, and McCarthy later interviewed NFL Europe head coach Steve Logan and Clements, settling on Clements on January 28, 2006[2].

During Clements time as the quarterbacks coach with the Green Bay Packers, he has worked with starting quarterbacks: Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Flynn. In 2007, Favre statistically had one of his best seasons with the Green Bay Packers, taking them to the NFC Championship game. Clements is also credited for assisting in the development of one of the game's elite quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers, as the only player in NFL history to throw for 4,000+ yards during his first two years as a starting quarterback in 2008 and 2009, and winning Super Bowl XLV and Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award in Rodgers' third year as a starting quarterback in 2010. In Week 17 of the 2011 season, after the Packers went 14-1, head coach Mike McCarthy chose to deactivate Rodgers to keep him healthy for the playoffs and start backup quarterback, Matt Flynn, on January 1, 2012 at Lambeau Field vs. the Detroit Lions, Flynn's second start in his career. Throughout the game, Clements worked with Flynn on the sidelines, showing him what to look for in the photos from the previous offensive series. Flynn had a record setting performance, throwing for 480 yards and 6 touchdowns, both single game records for the Green Bay Packers.
Stewart ,Maddox,Elvis Grbac all made into Pro bowl QBs?? We all know what Rodgers can do ,could he have the same effect on Ben? Let the debate begin....

coldrolled
01-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a good QB coach for us... is our current qb coach going to be the OC?.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a good QB coach for us... is our current qb coach going to be the OC?.

I heard that as well today Jack, his name is definitely being tossed around along with Randy Fichtner's. Clement's resume is impressive but you wonder if Tomlin would pull the trigger on an outside name for such a key position...

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-19-2012, 11:27 PM
He has been in the organization before and I think he would be great as OC. I'm not sure he would come here to be the QB coach, a lateral move from GB imho wouldn't be worth it. They also said his name was being tossed around for a HC position,but I forget where...

LatrobePA
01-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Is BA retiring?

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-19-2012, 11:55 PM
This would be awesome. We see how he has helped groom ARod who is the best qb in the NFL. Maybe he can do the same for Ben .

--- Added 1/19/2012 at 09:55 PM ---

He has been in the organization before and I think he would be great as OC. I'm not sure he would come here to be the QB coach, a lateral move from GB imho wouldn't be worth it. They also said his name was being tossed around for a HC position,but I forget where...

I'm pretty sure the hc position was in Tampa

coldrolled
01-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Is BA retiring?

Scheduled Lobotomy

connecticutsteel
01-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Tomlin said BA would be back . However i don't think he realized that THE Mr Rooney was stepping down as ambassator of Ireland . He may be forcing BA to "retire"

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 12:05 AM
I hope like hell I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing..

HUNT4SEVEN
01-20-2012, 12:16 AM
Tom Clements would be great for Ben, but Ben doesn't like to be told what to do,TC has a impressive resume i hope we bring him in as a OC.

papabaier
01-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Scheduled Lobotomy

and rectalotomy.:cope:

Nolrog
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Is BA retiring?

Nah. All wishful hype based on a rumor.

In the end, BA will keep his job, and he'll appoint his first son as OL coach, second son as RB coach, his daughter as QB coach and his wife as assistant OC in charge of play calling, to ensure that there's an Arians running the show for the next 3 decades.

coldrolled
01-20-2012, 10:05 AM

In the end, BA will keep his job, and he'll appoint his first son as OL coach, second son as RB coach, his daughter as QB coach and his wife as assistant OC in charge of play calling, to ensure that there's an Arians running the show for the next 3 decades.

His wife as OC will help right?

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 10:38 AM
His wife as OC will help right?

Ben??

steelersbabex25
01-20-2012, 12:44 PM

Care to respond to this now... :cope:

coldrolled
01-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Some live names right now....

Brad Childress
Tom Clements
Jim Caldwell
Todd Haley
Brian Daboll
Al Saunders

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Kirby Wilson would have been in the mix for this job too, it's just too bad how things worked out for him as he's still in the hospital in critical condition.

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Some live names right now....

Brad Childress
Tom Clements
Jim Caldwell
Todd Haley
Brian Daboll
Al Saunders

I like:

Nolrog
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Care to respond to this now... :cope:

It's a lie. Tomlin just wants to get us all worked up so we'll keep buying tickets. Uh huh.

Zachintosh66
01-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Brad Childress - no thanks
Tom Clements - i would love
Jim Caldwell - dark horse
Todd Haley - no thanks
Brian Daboll - no thanks
Al Saunders - isnt this guy old as hell?
Randy Fichtner - possibility, but rather not
Brian Shotty - no thanks

coldrolled
01-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Todd Haley - no thanks
Brian Daboll - no thanks
Brian Shotty - no thanks

Schotty and Mcdaniels already have new jobs.

We need an OC that will allow Ben the no huddle and also force him to clean up some of his dumb habits.

JollyRob68
01-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Ben needs to move past Sandlot ball and Step up with the other elite QB's. I like some of his No Huddle but he always wants to chuck it down field instead of pickling up the first & Move the damn chains or takes a stupid sack that takes us out of field goal range.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Clements is being mentioned as a candidate for the Packers offensive coordinator job.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Ben needs to move past Sandlot ball and Step up with the other elite QB's

Funny thing about sandlot football, at least when I played, there was no offensive line. So I guess until the team steps up to give him an offensive line, he'll have to keep playing sandlot.

bigplaysteel
01-25-2012, 02:43 AM
Todd Haley - no thanks
Brian Daboll - no thanks
Brian Shotty - no thanks

BlitzrurghRockCity said: " Clements is being mentioned as a candidate for the Packers offensive coordinator job."

The hiring of Philbin by Miami sure made things interesting. This guy was GB's OC and I must admit I did not even know GB had an OC. I thought McCarthy doubled as Head Coach and OC.

Now then, of course, GB needs an OC, but since it seems to be only a token title, maybe Clements would prefer going elsewhere. This could also mean the new Miami coach takes Clements along with him to Miami and Miami lets Daboll go.

From FF Footballguys news: "Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll had feelers from other teams after the regular season. The Dolphins denied him permission to interview elsewhere, according to a source. While his fate in Miami has not been sealed, it is a long shot he will return to the staff, according to a source." ------There doesn't seem to be much interest in him but I don't know why.

Anyway I had narrowed it down to Clements, The in-house candidate and if released maybe Daboll

But now, after reading Gene Collier's hilarious article in the PG there are a few more names to be added to the list.

"But, today, I fear they seriously are overcomplicating the offensive coordinator search, particularly in a city where there is an offensive coordinator every 30 feet. In fact, when they announce the attendance at Heinz Field, I think they now say, "Today's attendance, 63,881 offensive coordinators."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025/1205733-150.stm#ixzz1kRp4Iz6J

Note: I did not post the link. When I copy-pasted the paragraph from the article it added the link.

SteelDad
01-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure Clements came off the table as soon as Philbin left for Miami.

Nolrog
01-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Note: I did not post the link. When I copy-pasted the paragraph from the article it added the link.

I've seen a bunch of sites doing that. So they get the proper credit (and link back to the original article) since people tend to copy and paste stuff to other sites frequently. I very much prefer this method to the prevent copy and paste at all method that some other places use.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Adam Schefter from ESPN reported tonight that Clements has been named the new Packers OC. His name is officially off the table now.