PDA

View Full Version : Randy Fichtner could be next in line as new Steelers OC

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Rumors are flying all over the Steeler Nation ever since Gene collier of the Post Gazette broke the story on Wednesday evening that Bruce Arians may not return in 2012 as the Steelers Offensive Coordinator. The following is some of our thoughts here on what Jim Wexell had to say today on a radio interview in Pittsburgh.

Listening to Jim Wexell (http://www.twitter.com/jimwexell) on 93.7 The Fan (http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php?station=2105) today, we are reminded that the Steelers generally like to promote from within when it comes to coordinators on the team. This has always been the case quite honestly; they'd rather promote someone they've groomed over the years than bring in a new face from outside the organization whenever possible. It's a logical enough strategy; many teams feel the same way about their staff. http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/../blog/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gifBruce Arians was the former Wide Receivers coach before getting his promotion. Steelers QB Coach Randy Fichtner was the teams Wide Receivers coach before getting promoted to Quarterbacks coach 2 years ago. He may be the odds on favorite to take over if and when Bruce Arians does decide to call it quits.

Fichtner knows Ben Roethlisberger well, obviously, and knows the Steelers mentality of how they like to do things on offense. He and Ben have a good rapport and Fichtner would fit right in to what Mike Tomlin wants to accomplish. Plus you have to believe that the Steelers aren't going to completely change offensive philosophies now or anytime soon, regardless of who eventually takes over. A transition to Fichtner would be much less hectic than bringing in an outside face. Keep in mind too, he was also interested in the vacant Memphis coaching job in November of this past season. It's possible that Mike Tomlin convinced him to stick around in Pittsburgh as a candidate for the Offensive Coordinator job at some point in the future. You still can't rule anything out right now, including Bruce Arians returning in 2012, but in the mean time we can start to analyze who the potential replacement candidates could be.

Some other points that Jim touched on during the show: The Steelers must, must, fix the Offensive Line for 2012. Just because Roethlisberger can avoid pressure doesn't mean he should have to do so continuously. How many more times do we need to see him buried under a sea of defensive lineman and linebackers? If you want to keep your 100 million dollar investment playing for another 5+ years you better get him some protection.

On that same note, no matter who the OC is for 2012, Ben has got to be reigned in somewhat. Take the shorter passes, more intermediate routes to Heath Miller, dump offs to Isaac Redman, basically what the defense gives you. Going deep is fine now and then but why does it have to be so often? Things like this are what we at SteelerAddicts and what the Steeler Nation in general have been pleading Ben to do for years now. Perhaps this coming season it will finally happen.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Ehh, I still want Haley. But that probably won't happen so I hope fichtner is good if we do make a switch .

Stone
01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Ehh, I still want Haley. But that probably won't happen so I hope fichtner is good if we do make a switch .

Haley can't seem to get along with anybody. I'm not a fan.

OldSchool58
01-19-2012, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;477291]He and Ben have a good rapport and Fichtner would fit right in to what Mike Tomlin wants to accomplish. Plus you have to believe that the Steelers aren't going to completely change offensive philosophies now or anytime soon, regardless of who eventually takes over.QUOTE]

Being a confirmed Arians hater, I hate to be so negative about a possible new coach taking over the offense..........but this doesn't really sound all that great. It seems for the past few year our "offensive philosophies" are to throw bombs down the field and fire every fullback that shows up to practice. If this is the change we're getting it doesn't look much like a change for the better. Just my 2cents.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2012, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;477291]He and Ben have a good rapport and Fichtner would fit right in to what Mike Tomlin wants to accomplish. Plus you have to believe that the Steelers aren't going to completely change offensive philosophies now or anytime soon, regardless of who eventually takes over.QUOTE]

Being a confirmed Arians hater, I hate to be so negative about a possible new coach taking over the offense..........but this doesn't really sound all that great. It seems for the past few year our "offensive philosophies" are to throw bombs down the field and fire every fullback that shows up to practice. If this is the change we're getting it doesn't look much like a change for the better. Just my 2cents.

That's a good point and something that Wexell mentioned, how much of a change are you going to see if Fichtner does take over? Obviously he's going to have some Bruce Arians in him, it's only natural to think so. From what I know and Jim said it as well, Randy is an X's & O's guru, he knows football inside and out. Is he going to have a firm enough hand on Ben to be able to reign him in and force him to take more check downs get rid of the ball quicker?

Real Deal Steel
01-19-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry but I don't want Fichtner. He's going to bring too much of what we just got rid of in Arians. I want a Fullback leading the runningback through the hole. The way it's suppose to be!

I want a offensive coordinator who's going to push Ben to be better because he can still be better.

LatrobePA
01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
As much as I want BA out of here I'm nervous to go with someone from within!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
You can't say Fichtner will be BA.....Fichtner will be his own man.......Scheme wise Arians if fine its his play-calling that is maddening...lol The article touched on it whoever the OC is the OL must be improved......

OldSchool58
01-19-2012, 07:43 PM
You can't say Fichtner will be BA.....Fichtner will be his own man.......Scheme wise Arians if fine its his play-calling that is maddening...lol The article touched on it whoever the OC is the OL must be improved......

I'd have to disagre with you man. When it's 1st and goal at the one yard line and we throw the ball 3 times and kick a field goal the scheme isn't fine. Yeah, he has some good plays drawn up and sometimes they work but he is a complete IDIOT when it comes to changing the scheme to fit the opponents defense. Example, when you play against Ed Reed.....don't throw the frickin' ball deep into double coverage every 3rd down. And, when you're playing a sh*tty run defense, eat their asses up with a ground attack. Sorry dude, I ain't trying to rude to you, I just hate Arians.:banging:

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-19-2012, 08:02 PM
I'd have to disagre with you man. When it's 1st and goal at the one yard line and we throw the ball 3 times and kick a field goal the scheme isn't fine. Yeah, he has some good plays drawn up and sometimes they work but he is a complete IDIOT when it comes to changing the scheme to fit the opponents defense. Example, when you play against Ed Reed.....don't throw the frickin' ball deep into double coverage every 3rd down. And, when you're playing a sh*tty run defense, eat their asses up with a ground attack. Sorry dude, I ain't trying to rude to you, I just hate Arians.:banging:
I agree. A huge part was his playcalling, but the scheme looks like it's more suited for a college team

Raleigh Steel
01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
at the end of last season and into the playoffs the offense started to run a little more efficiently. rumors were that fichtner was developing more of the game plan. i believe randy, while maybe not the best candidate, is and could be far superior than BA...of course when the bar is set so low.....

Black@Gold Forever32
01-19-2012, 08:24 PM

1st goal at the 1 yard and the Steelers throw the ball 3 times......What team were you watching?......:lol: Steelers for the most part 5 yards and in ran the ball.....The problem is they don't have the hogs up front to dominate the line of scrimmage like in years past which was a huge reason the Steelers ran the ball so poorly in the red zone at times........

Again the scheme is fine...the play calling sucks.....Fix the OL the offensive play calling will be period and make any OC better....But Arians needs to go and just because Fitchner coached under Arians doesn't mean he will be Arians.......

coldrolled
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Dont soften up with arians, he sucks...

--- Added 1/19/2012 at 06:43 PM ---

could be far superior than BA...of course when the bar is set so low.....

We can only get better... we need someone to control Ben more for sure.

SteelCityKid5
01-19-2012, 09:26 PM
In my opinion, Fichtner is going to be another "yes man" to Ben. What Ben needs, whether he likes it or not, is someone who is going to tell him hes wrong. That 5 yard passes underneath are good. That getting rid of the ball faster instead holding on to the ball is okay. I dont see Fichtner being that guy. I say go outside of the organization and hire someone.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-19-2012, 09:42 PM
In my opinion, Fichtner is going to be another "yes man" to Ben. What Ben needs, whether he likes it or not, is someone who is going to tell him hes wrong. That 5 yard passes underneath are good. That getting rid of the ball faster instead holding on to the ball is okay. I dont see Fichtner being that guy. I say go outside of the organization and hire someone.

Someone like Haley

SteelDad
01-19-2012, 10:04 PM
If in fact RF is better with the Xs and Os than I'm all for it. BA was terrible at exposing matchups and even worse when adjusting on the fly.

I agree that Ben needs an OC with a different approach but at this point in his career I'm not sure a completely new offense is in his or the team's best interest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

coldrolled
01-19-2012, 10:23 PM
If in fact RF is better with the Xs and Os than I'm all for it. BA was terrible at exposing matchups and even worse when adjusting on the fly.

I agree that Ben needs an OC with a different approach but at this point in his career I'm not sure a completely new offense is in his or the team's best interest.

Ranked at 21st in scoring. We need someone to make us twice as good. We will be at #10 then

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-19-2012, 10:23 PM
If you bring in a new coordinator why does everyone assume it will be a whole new offense ? There are only so many plays that can be developed,and it is a copy cat league, notice more "bubble screens" around the league? Just maybe not as many as BA calls.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-19-2012, 10:45 PM

This.......:yellowthumb: You want to keep the same offensive system so this core can grow together......People have to remember the Steelers were one of the youngest offensive teams in the NFL this year........

I'm all for BA being gone.......Promote within is good unless they go out and get a special offensive mind to be OC but I don't see that happening.....

Diehardsteel
01-19-2012, 11:15 PM
We need a fresh face, period. I think anything else to start the season next year would be a disappointment. imo.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-19-2012, 11:16 PM
With the talent we have i would like to c us go to a west coast system,Ben would still put up great numbers and he would get to pass alot like he wants to.

UKSTEELER
01-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Arians, who has been the offensive coordinator since Mike Tomlin became head coach in '07, might not return for the '12 season. It is uncertain if he is considering retirement -- something he pondered a year ago -- or not having his contract renewed. A decision is expected this weekend.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/1204704-66.stm

JollyRob68
01-20-2012, 07:35 AM
With the talent we have i would like to c us go to a west coast system,Ben would still put up great numbers and he would get to pass alot like he wants to.

RANDY F run a Spread offense when he was at Memphis.

--- Added 1/20/2012 at 05:35 AM ---

I like RAndy. How about going after Jim Tressell? It wouldn't Suprise me to see Brad childress as the OC because of the conection with Mike Tomlin.

Troyisabeast_43
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
RANDY F run a Spread offense when he was at Memphis.

--- Added 1/20/2012 at 05:35 AM ---

I like RAndy. How about going after Jim Tressell? It wouldn't Suprise me to see Brad childress as the OC because of the conection with Mike Tomlin.

I agree and was just about to post this. I think Childress would be a good fit and has had a lot of success as an offensive coordinator in the past. I think if your the Steelers and this is nothing against Fichtner that the Steelers need to go outside the organization and hire an offensive coordinator and not hire someone from within. As many people said Ben has so much talent and talent around him and why not get someone in here who can bring the best out in Ben and make him even better then he is now. In my opinion, Fichtner is not the way to go in this situation I think you absolutely MUST hire outside the organization...

SuperSteelers
01-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Good that BA is gone. Definitely a blow if we hire from within. Need a coach who will pull Ben back to reality and let him know he is no Peyton, Aaron, Drew, or Tom Brady.

LevonKirkland99
01-20-2012, 09:08 PM

I don't think Haley would be a good fit as he is a bit of an egomaniac. He will clash with Tomlin? Plus he won't pass passed the Rooneys as I heard he said stuff about the FC Chiefs owners. But hey what do I know

JollyRob68
01-21-2012, 06:59 PM
I agree and was just about to post this. I think Childress would be a good fit and has had a lot of success as an offensive coordinator in the past. I think if your the Steelers and this is nothing against Fichtner that the Steelers need to go outside the organization and hire an offensive coordinator and not hire someone from within. As many people said Ben has so much talent and talent around him and why not get someone in here who can bring the best out in Ben and make him even better then he is now. In my opinion, Fichtner is not the way to go in this situation I think you absolutely MUST hire outside the organization...

I heard on a podcast that It shouldn't take them more than a week in a half.

coldrolled
01-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Bruce Arians' departure from the Pittsburgh Steelers officially was labeled a retirement, but a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora on Saturday that the assistant coach was told that his contract would not be renewed this offseason.

The source said Arians wasn't fired.

A report in Saturday's edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reveals that the decision to end Arians' five-year tenure as Steelers offensive coordinator was made by people other than Arians.

The Post-Gazette reported, citing sources inside and outside the organization, that coach Mike Tomlin told Arians more than once since the team's playoff loss to Denver that he wanted him to return. The newspaper reported that Arians told his assistants and others that he planned to be back with the team in 2012, but sources said the decision to part ways with Arians came from someone higher up in the organization than Tomlin.

Lombardi: Ravens think different

Baltimore hired John Harbaugh over Rex Ryan in 2008. Michael Lombardi credits owner Steve Bisciotti for his outside-the-box thinking. More ...

The Post-Gazette reported team president Art Rooney II appears to be the guy who pulled the trigger.

A league source told La Canfora that quarterback coach Randy Fichtner is an in-house option to replace Arians.

K Train
01-21-2012, 07:15 PM
would so much rather a new guy than promoting from within this time

coldrolled
01-21-2012, 07:33 PM

:cope::cope::cope: Art Rooney II :cope::cope::cope:

New outside blood would be the way to go.

LevonKirkland99
01-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Why not from within? i'll get the popcorn for this one...

--- Added 1/21/2012 at 09:15 PM ---

:cope::cope::cope: Art Rooney II :cope::cope::cope:

New outside blood would be the way to go.

Why not from within? I'll get the popcorn for this one...

LatrobePA
01-21-2012, 11:19 PM
BA was Ben's little bitch we don't need another one!

NYCsteelersfan
01-21-2012, 11:27 PM

It just doesn't make sense. Whoever disliked George W. Bush wouldn't have been happy if he was immediately replaced by Cheney. And whoever dislikes Obama wouldn't be happy if he was immediately replaced by Biden.

You make the reasonable assumption that if the two get along, then that means the two agree, and if the two agree, then the two share similarities. Anything similar to Arians is not good.

DIESELMAN
01-22-2012, 01:47 AM

BA was Ben's little bitch we don't need another one!

I agree 100% guys.....

jpbucco
01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
The impetus to move on from B.A. obviously came from the top. Do you really think Rooney would want someone who worked under Arians to take over?

Ummm...no. It will be an outsider.

coldrolled
01-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Popcorn? grab a beer.

We need to get someone to sharpen Ben up... The game plan will inprove regardless, it could not get worse. just have the feeling new blood from the outside would work better not...

read on:

Randy Fichtner, who's been with the Steelers since Tomlin was hired five years ago.

During his first three years in Pittsburgh, Fichtner served as wide receivers coach. The past two years, he's coached quarterbacks.

Fichtner, 48, had served as offensive coordinator at two college programs -- Arkansas State and Memphis - before joining the Steelers. It was at Arkansas State where Fichtner first met Tomlin, who was the secondary coach there in 1998.

Obviously, calling the plays at Arkansas State and Memphis hardly qualifies Fichtner for the same job with the Steelers. But he's perceived as a guy with good ideas. And although he doesn't have the close relationship that Arians and Ben Roethlisberger do, Fichtner seems to have a solid bond with the franchise QB.

And don't dismiss the fact that Fichtner and Tomlin are close friends away from football.

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
In light of what Mr. Rooney has came out and said, the type of offensive coordinator that is going to be hired is a guy who's going to run the ball and establish the play action pass.

I think we will not see many 4 WR sets anymore. And the return of having a Fullback is obviously going to happen. Which is something we've all been clammering for.

cmerrifield
01-22-2012, 04:22 PM
In light of what Mr. Rooney has came out and said, the type of offensive coordinator that is going to be hired is a guy who's going to run the ball and establish the play action pass.

I think we will not see many 4 WR sets anymore. And the return of having a Fullback is obviously going to happen. Which is something we've all been clammering for.

I hope this doesnt happen. Somebody tell me, how many times did Ben convert on 3rd down out of 4 or 5 wr sets. I am pretty sure its higher than 50%. Why cant the Steelers evolve like everyone else, we have the QB to do it. You guys get mad at MT for liking consistency, but a lot of you want to go back to old school Steeler football, whats the difference?

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I hope this doesnt happen. Somebody tell me, how many times did Ben convert on 3rd down out of 4 or 5 wr sets. I am pretty sure its higher than 50%. Why cant the Steelers evolve like everyone else, we have the QB to do it. You guys get mad at MT for liking consistency, but a lot of you want to go back to old school Steeler football, whats the difference?

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

You either need the run to set up the pass or you need an elite offensive line like the Patriots and Colts provide Brady and Manning with.

cmerrifield
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
You either need the run to set up the pass or you need an elite offensive line like the Patriots and Colts provide Brady and Manning with.

I dont think that is true, Manning doesnt hold the ball very long, we just need to slow down the rush and minimize our OL weakness. This can be done with quick timing patterns or screens or even spreading out the offense into 4 or 5 WR sets. We just need someone who can design AND call plays built for this offense. BA could design them, he just couldnt call them. We need an OC who can do both as MT lets the OC and DC run their respect units. I would have loved BA if he knew how to call a good game.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 05:13 PM
I dont think that is true, Manning doesnt hold the ball very long, we just need to slow down the rush and minimize our OL weakness. This can be done with quick timing patterns or screens or even spreading out the offense into 4 or 5 WR sets.

He doesn't hold the ball because that's how the offensive schemes are designed. And he's also been very scared of taking a hit just like his brother so there are times where he gets rid of it when he doesn't have to. Regardless, he does always have 3 comfortable seconds in the pocket.

As far as replicating that kind of offensive scheme, that scheme was in place before Dungy got there. It's complicated to just suddenly install such a system amongst players who've never been a part of such a system. And if it were that easy then other teams would've replicated it by now.

I would also like to note that even with Manning and that high-powered passing scheme, the Colts maintain a ground attack and a running back that other teams fear.

KoffeeHobson
01-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Caldwell had Eddgerrin James and he led the league in rushing. Would be a balanced attack. I have learned to ride with what the Steelers want to do. Just as long as we move the ball and score in the red zone I will be happy.

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Caldwell had Eddgerrin James and he led the league in rushing. Would be a balanced attack. I have learned to ride with what the Steelers want to do. Just as long as we move the ball and score in the red zone I will be happy.

Agreed.

K Train
01-23-2012, 10:25 AM

this is nonsense...he was the QB coach, Tom Moore and Peyton Manning ran that offense, caldwell had little to nothing to do with it until he took over for dungy

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Haley can't seem to get along with anybody. I'm not a fan.

Bruce Arians got along with everyone.... that didn't do us any good.

I think Haley would be a great hire. He's EXACTLY the kind of OC I think Ben needs.

LatrobePA
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Caldwell went through the motions that's it... We already had a hand puppet we don't need another one!

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 10:57 AM
The reason the steelers have the reputation of hiring from with in, is due to the fact that our coaches typically leave for HC jobs. So it makes perfect sense to promote, because you want to continue the system in place.

Arians was clearly fired because the Rooney's don't like his system. So it would make no sense to promote someone who's been running Arians system.

Todd Haley and Jim Caldwell have to the favorites for the job IMO. Both are VERY qualified and both have a history of running the ball and both have a respected ability to game plan. Haley made us look pretty bad more then once. He had a damn good plan going into the SB when he was with AZ. Luckily for us we had Ben.

--- Added 1/23/2012 at 08:55 AM ---

Caldwell went through the motions that's it... We already had a hand puppet we don't need another one!

That would not be a fair assessment of Jim Caldwell actually. He's got the credentials, the track record, and the respect of a lot of people.

--- Added 1/23/2012 at 08:57 AM ---

Brad Childress should also be a candidate.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2012, 09:15 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) likely will promote from within to fill their offensive coordinator vacancy, league sources said Monday.

The two top candidates in that case would be quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and offensive line coach Sean Kugler, sources said, as the Steelers' other offensive position coaches are less experienced.

Fichtner has coached quarterbacks and receivers for the Steelers in two stints with the team and spent the last five years in Pittsburgh. He also helped implement the spread offense at the University of Memphis.

The Steelers need an offensive coordinator after Bruce Arians decided to retire last week, although a league source said Saturday (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8262f3ae) that the coach was told his contract wouldn't be renewed.
Source (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8264111b/article/steelers-looking-at-own-position-coaches-to-fill-oc-vacancy?module=HP11_headline_stack)

JollyRob68
01-23-2012, 11:08 PM
I expect it to be Randy Fichtner but don't be surprised if its Sean Kugler. He wont take Bens Crap and he will be balanced because he wont have a choice.