PDA

View Full Version : Full time officials could be coming to the NFL

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
In Art Rooney II's press conference recently he mentioned the following in reference to how the Steelers dealt with the new rule changes this season:

Whether he was happy with on-field rule changes for 2011 and how they were applied this season

“Going into the season we were certainly concerned about some of the rules changes. I think we survived the season OK. Obviously we had a player suspended, which we weren’t happy about, but I think our players have adjusted and I think the goal of reducing helmet to helmet contact is an appropriate goal. I think everyone’s trying to adjust and I think everybody, for the most part, has done a good job. I think we’ve made the game harder to officiate and the commissioner (Roger Goodell) said he’s considering making some of the officials full-time and that might be a good idea because I think thee one thing I would like to see, irrespective of the rules is that the officiating is more consistent and there’s more consistency in certain kinds of plays being called the same way from game to game and crew to crew.”

SteelDad
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I for one am glad to see them go year round. This way when I tell Ron Winter he sucks when I see him at the golf course it will mean just a little bit more.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I honestly don't know why they waited this long for it. As popular as the NFL is and the way they like to change rules here over the last several years, this should be a no brainer.

There's plenty of things for them to do in the offseason the warrant full time positions. Ongoing training, visiting the NFL teams, review's of the most recent years blown calls. If you're going to put so much emphasis on calling the game differently than you have before then you better have people on staff continuously, not just weekend warriors.

OldSchool58
01-19-2012, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;477182]
There's plenty of things for them to do in the offseason the warrant full time positions. QUOTE]

Yup, going to an optimologist and having a complete eye exam would be a good start. Then we could get the IRS to check all the officials bank accounts to see how many were recieving "gifts" from places like New England, Green Bay, Indy, etc.:thinking:

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Who hires and fires these guys?

jpele
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I don't know why they're bothering, 10full timers aren't going to make a difference. If they weren't so worried about their doctor and lawyer buddies picking up an extra $70,000 a year, they'd all be full time.

Stone
01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Who hires and fires these guys?

BINGO!

This is the root of the problem! There is no visible accountability! NFL officiating has been rapidly getting worse and "nobody" knows who they are accountable to but themselves!

Kinda like asking the fox if it's okay for foxes to guard the henhouse!

bobbybelliv
01-20-2012, 01:00 AM
absolutely!

connecticutsteel
01-20-2012, 02:30 AM
not a chance in heck that this happens . the owners don't give a crap how many bad calls there are they will never pay these geezers mone7y to due nothing all year long. not never ever ever ever ever !

steelersbabex25
01-20-2012, 11:47 AM
The officiating has been so bad for so long, you'd think they would have made this move years ago. But they probably never actually will. It's a shame that the NFL cares about fairly played games second to making money.