PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert moving to LT a strong possibility

cmerrifield
01-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Gilbert said last night on a speecast video chat that the coaches said there is a strong possibility that he could move to LT. If that is the case, then probably we will not pursue Starks, unless he wants to play for really cheap and be a backup. J. Scott is getting 2.7 next year, so lets cut him and offer that to Starks. With Colon's injury problems, I still think we need one more good backup tackle for this oline.

K Train
01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Would love him at left tackle and colon at right tackle if we can seriously upgrade one guard or upgrade both guards to at least solid starters.

any of these would be just fine with me

Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, Colon, Mike Adams
Gilbert, Decastro, Pouncey, foster, colon
Gilbert, Pouncey, Konz, foster, colon
Gilbert, osemele, pouncey, foster, colon
Gilbert, glenn, pouncey, foster, colon

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I was hoping he'd be taking over at LT for the future anyways. Especially when the team originally decided not to bring back Max Starks or Flozell Adams. He's got the size and power to play LT, but they will have to seriously work on his feet to be able to thwart the oncoming pass rushers to Ben's blind side. I think he can certainly do it.

I'm not sold on Colon mainly because he hasn't been healthy and really played in 2 years now. He'll be fully recovered for sure this offseason so he'll get his chances but his long term stability is questionable at best.

LatrobePA
01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
If Colon could stay healthy I think he could be a beast out there..

CowherPower
01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I would love to see Gilbert take over on the left side, the experience he got this year would help him immensely even if it was on the right side.

I wish Colon could stay healthy, that big contract the team gave him last year doesn't do them any good with him on the best all the time.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Would love him at left tackle and colon at right tackle if we can seriously upgrade one guard or upgrade both guards to at least solid starters.

You think they would actually pull the trigger and move Colon to Guard? I'm not sure they have it in them regardless of how much the fans scream for it and know it be true..LOL

Nolrog
01-19-2012, 07:51 PM
You think they would actually pull the trigger and move Colon to Guard? I'm not sure they have it in them regardless of how much the fans scream for it and know it be true..LOL

Is Colon quick enough to play guard and pull? He's better staying at T. With him and Gil, the Ts should be decent (though we desperately need a guard.)

JensK
01-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm honestly a little worried as to having Colon playing. Obviously, a lot will depend on how well he does in training camp and whatnot, but he have literally been out for 2 years now. It could get pretty ugly, even if he manage to stay healthy.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-19-2012, 11:21 PM

Gilbert, glenn, pouncey, foster, colon<<<<< This right here...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Is Colon quick enough to play guard and pull? He's better staying at T. With him and Gil, the Ts should be decent (though we desperately need a guard.)

I would probably think, if he were to every move to Guard, that he'd be on the Right Side. The RG's don't normally pull as much as the LG's do. I think he's got the build for it and would probably do pretty well. That being said I do like Ramon Foster over there, he's gotten better in his pass blocking this year.

MDSteel15
01-20-2012, 11:14 AM

:banana: :bunny: :thinking:

K Train
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM

i think theres rumblings of him moving to guard and they get more serious every year. as a RG hed be a tremendous drive blocker from that spot. He and foster are essentially the same player, colon is much more sound though

cmerrifield
01-20-2012, 03:18 PM
So, then, it depends on our draft probably. We get a stud OT and Colon moves in, we get a stud OG/C and Colon stays OT?

K Train
01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
i think we need to upgrade the interior first and foremost, our tackles are not as bad as the pathetic guards

LatrobePA
01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
i think we need to upgrade the interior first and foremost, our tackles are not as bad as the pathetic guards

Kemo and Legs are all stars, lol!!

connecticutsteel
01-20-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't think willie Colon will be back in a steelers uniform next season two season ending injuries in a row that torn pec could be a recurring problem i think the O-Line will be
Gilbert/ draft /pouncey legs/J Scott

Katmandu
01-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Gilbert said last night on a speecast video chat that the coaches said there is a strong possibility that he could move to LT. I sure the hell hope he pans out against....

SUGGS
FREENEY
MATHIS
NGATA

and whoever DE/OLB ate up our LTs this year !!

Is this the best we can do at LT ?

SuperSteelers
01-20-2012, 08:47 PM
The whole line needs to be blown up except for big Pouncey.

K Train
01-21-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't think willie Colon will be back in a steelers uniform next season two season ending injuries in a row that torn pec could be a recurring problem i think the O-Line will be
Gilbert/ draft /pouncey legs/J Scott

bite your tongue on j scott

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2012, 11:25 AM
This story is getting more steam now since Kevin Colbert mentioned on 93.7 The Fan recently that Gilbert "could" move to LT. I would still caution everyone though, that this is NOT a done deal. Colbert did not say it was going to happen, only that it could happen. People are running with this like it's gospel right now.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, I think it would be a nice idea if he can be the LT for the future but other things can still happen to keep him on the right. The Steelers draft a LT this year, Starks somehow comes back, etc. Once the draft is over we'll have a better idea of where Gilbert will likely fit in.

Nolrog
02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
This story is getting more steam now since Kevin Colbert mentioned on 93.7 The Fan recently that Gilbert "could" move to LT. I would still caution everyone though, that this is NOT a done deal. Colbert did not say it was going to happen, only that it could happen. People are running with this like it's gospel right now.

I wish they'd stop talking about these kinds of things. This guy will do this, this guy will do that. Still far too much can happen in the off season to make any proclaimations.

Real Deal Steel
02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
If they draft the kid out of Georgia like all the mocks say they will, they will definitely move Gilbert to LT.

coldrolled
02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Steelers will move Marcus Gilbert to left tackle
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 20, 2012, 9:35 AM EST
Getty ImagesThe Steelers have a lot of questions on the offensive line. But they hope they already have their left tackle of the present and future on the roster.

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert told 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh that the team will move Marcus Gilbert from right tackle to left tackle next season. That’s not a good sign for Max Starks, who tore his ACL and is an impending free agent.

Gilbert, a second round pick in 2011, looked competent while starting most of last season at right tackle. The team expects Willie Colon to return from injury and play right tackle. Jonathan Scott would be the swing tackle.

The team could invest another draft pick at tackle, but Gilbert and Colon look like the presumptive starters next season. Pittsburgh has been looking for a winning combination on the offensive line for a while now. Cutting down on the team’s sacks is an organizational priority this year.

Any improvement will have to come from new coordinator Todd Haley and the new arrangement of offensive line pieces.

Nolrog
02-20-2012, 10:21 PM
The team could invest another draft pick at tackle,

They probably should. If not this year, then next year. The OL depth is poor, so when the starters (who aren't a fantastic group to begin with) go down, then mayhem ensues. This year, though, the primary focus should be on acquiring a really good guard, then maybe a big guy who needs development (a project) to try and mold over the next couple years later in the draft.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
What I find somewhat funny is that Colbert said this over a week ago. All of the blogs and local media reported it the day it happened. Now a week later the national media gets a hold of it and starts putting it out like it's breaking news.

I would still caution people though that it's not a done deal. The audio that Colbert gave to 93.7 The Fan doesn't state that Gilbert "will" move to LT but that he could.

Anyways, if they can get another first round pick for Wallace, using both on the interior lines would not be a bad idea at all. Having 2 prime picks would go a long way towards addressing the nose tackle position too. Imagine landing both Cordy Glenn and Kelechi Osemele on the offensive line? Or having both Kevin Zietler & David DeCastro? Perhaps they go middle linebacker with one of their choices and really set themselves up nicely for the future opposite Lawrence Timmons. A 2012 draft with first round picks named Cordy Glenn and Donta Hightower would be a pretty successful weekend no matter who else they took the rest of the way.

They could also deal one of those picks and trade down for additional second and third round choices both this year and in future seasons. You could potentially end up with a first round pick like Glenn, two second round choices where you pick up Dontari Poe out of Memphis to step in at NT and Donta Hightower at Linebacker.

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I agree that this is clearly not a done deal. This is based on what they do in the draft and free agency.