PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace bitter about "dropped balls" criticism?

CowherPower
01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Saw a tweet from him this afternoon, @Wallace17_daKid where he posted up a link to this article on Pro Football Focus.

Drop Rate 2011: Which receivers are dropping the ball? (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/)

Of the top 20 receivers in the league with the best hands, Wallace ranks 13th on that list with 4 drops, 72-76 possible catchable balls.

Reading that tweet, I'm realizing more and more this kid just seems to have a major chip on his shoulder and an propensity to sulk when things don't go his way. I don't doubt his support for his teammates but man you can see it in his demeanor on the field when he's not involved like he was earlier in the year.

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Wallace is turning into a diva, diva's don't last long here!

K Train
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Wallace is turning into a diva, diva's don't last long here!
these phantom accusations keep coming up

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
these phantom accusations keep coming up

Wait and see, his true colors will be showing soon..

Raleigh Steel
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
wallace just needs to be utilized more than the obligatory..."go deep" route. its not his fault...it's BA-ben's fault.

chisteeler
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
wallace just needs to be utilized more than the obligatory..."go deep" route. its not his fault...it's BA-ben's fault.

:yellowthumb: My thoughts exactly. He could be used so many different ways aside from going deep. **** poor planning on BA's part. Get your best weapons the ball.

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't buy too many jerseys but I do own a #17 one, I love the guy but I just have a bad feeling he won't be able to jive with the rest of them..

Maybe he should call his OC out? Now that I would like to see..

SteelDad
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm not ready to say Wallace is a 'Diva' just yet, but I'm concerned about his lack of productivity as the year went on. Ya, a lot of that was defense's scheming to stop him and BA's inability to adjust to it, so I will give him the opportunity to prove his worth next season before I give up on him.

K Train
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM
how nice of you to give our best WR a year before you give up on him lol.

this isnt diva like, hes not a "cancer" hes a productive WR in a ****** offensive scheme. he was on fire when ben was healthy...ben gets banged up and production goes way down, it makes sense. hes not an elite WR but hes not a one trick pony either. hes a top 10 guy and one that i like having

coldrolled
01-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Please... Wallace is the least of our worries.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm on the fence between what K train is saying and what others are saying. There's no denying when Ben is healthy and puts the ball where it needs to be that Wallace has been a beast. He was the first half of the year.

I would also say that I have seen, and granted it's only what we can see on TV when the game is on or during interviews, the he can tend let it get to him too much when he doesn't get the passes he normally gets. He's one of those receivers where you need to get him involved early into the game. Just going to him now and then renders him somewhat less effective.

I've said it a hundred times already too, it's an adjustment year for him being the #1 guy now when he's used to being #2 or #3 the last couple of years. He'll grow into his role and excel but Ben has to stay healthy. Wallace needs to also learn how to break free of double coverage and not just always run by people. Like I said it's a process.

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Ben's deep ball went down the tubes later in the season and when he did get it to Mike he dropped it. AB didn't and made Ben look good doing so, Wallace is an OK at best WR and if he became a problem one we could live with out, I guess that's what I saying..

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Mike Wallace really needs to work on his route running

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2012, 10:14 PM
how nice of you to give our best WR a year before you give up on him lol.

this isnt diva like, hes not a "cancer" hes a productive WR in a ****** offensive scheme. he was on fire when ben was healthy...ben gets banged up and production goes way down, it makes sense. hes not an elite WR but hes not a one trick pony either. hes a top 10 guy and one that i like having

I agree everything you say here Ktrain and I love Wallace myself....I was one of the few that wanted him resigned over Troy as a bigger priority in this past off-season.....:lol: But you have to admit Wallace does seem to sulk at times......The thing is I do think he could be elite if he wouldn't sulk....Wallace will never a physical WR but he doesn't have to be to be elite...I'm far from giving up on him....Wallace a huge key on this team going forward if this team wants to be a great offense and win another Super Bowl.....Brown, Wallace, and Sanders could be deadly with a fully healthy Big Ben.....

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm on fence with Wallace ,like BRC. I do think heis taking steps at becoming better. I would really like to see him make adjustments on the deep ball, in order to catch them, he seems to be only able to catch the ones when he is free of defenders. He should be able to fight for one once in awhile and come down with it...

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't hate him but he and ben were way off on the timing routes and the sulking got old..

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2012, 09:15 AM
I agree everything you say here Ktrain and I love Wallace myself....I was one of the few that wanted him resigned over Troy as a bigger priority in this past off-season.....:lol: But you have to admit Wallace does seem to sulk at times......The thing is I do think he could be elite if he wouldn't sulk....Wallace will never a physical WR but he doesn't have to be to be elite...I'm far from giving up on him....Wallace a huge key on this team going forward if this team wants to be a great offense and win another Super Bowl.....Brown, Wallace, and Sanders could be deadly with a fully healthy Big Ben.....

I was ok with him not getting a new deal heading into 2011, since he had 2 years left on his contract. Also I'm sure they wanted to see how he would perform being "the man" of the wide receivers group. It's safe to say the guy can play and I have no doubt they'll get a long term deal done with him. He's really on the only high priority player they have to work with this offseason, which is nice for a change.

This group of WR's is probably the most confident, borderline cocky, group I've ever seen on a Steelers roster. They all can play and they know it. It's kind of nice to see players with a bit of an attitude out there, as long as they keep it in check otherwise Tomlin will come down on them like he did with Brown in the preseason.

CowherPower
01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
There's no question in my mind that Wallace can have a poor attitude when he's not the focal point of the offense. Unless the dropping of the head and the frustrating acts are an apparition?

It's part of growing up and maturing in the NFL. He is still a young kid and has growing to do just like everybody else in the league. I certainly am not giving up on him. I trust the Rooney's will get him an extension with a big new contract before training camp starts.

Goodfrom55
01-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Don't worry, Wallace is young and found success early in the NFL. He'll settle in and be fine. It's all part of the maturation process.

DBR96A
01-19-2012, 12:59 AM
The only time it's acceptable to drop balls is when you're 12 years old.

NorCalSteel
01-19-2012, 08:07 AM
I love Mike Wallace also but he sure had allot of deep catches reviewed. If you noticed he was not catching the ball clean at all. It was always bouncing around. I was thinking he might need glasses lol. I wish he would stop disappearing when we need him the most.

Stone
01-19-2012, 05:51 PM

He appears to be:
A. Unwilling

or

B. Scared

to go across the middle or fight for the ball.