PDA

View Full Version : I'm Thinking the Front Office Likes Having a Crappy O-Line

SteelDad
01-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Every year I become more and more convinced of this. When Ben was coming out of Miami (OH), one of the biggest issues he had was staying in the pocket to make reads and being able to follow progressions. His strength, which will all know by now, is getting on the move to make plays, lengthen plays and quite simply 'make something out of nothing.'

If we had a significantly better O-line, then doesn't that mean Ben has less pressure and therefore has to remain in the pocket? Think about some of the interceptions he has thrown. Yes, many are when he is outside the pocket, but I also think many are when he almost has too much time to think and read the defense.

Of course this theory of mine sounds quite ridiculous to some of you, but I ask that you think about it. Ya, it flies in the face of spending millions on a QB and not protecting that asset, but isn't that essentially what the team is doing?

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
The Ravens went shopping and cutting for a new Oline in the past offseason and they are stout. This team had the chance to sign the same players but chose to bring back the same sorry *** ****!!

coach
01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
How much of this is salary cap related? You got money in the QB and on the D and young money.

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Maybe Ben wanted this Oline back? Seems to be what Ben wants he gets!

Real Deal Steel
01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
The Ravens went shopping and cutting for a new Oline in the past offseason and they are stout. This team had the chance to sign the same players but chose to bring back the same sorry *** ****!!

Agreed. Mckennie was out there.

And I'm tired of the weak *** excuse of, " The FO doesn't like to use free agency" thing. Real tired of it. At some point, atleast in a
small capacity, we need to use free agency.

And I'm tired of salary cap as an excuse. We are not the only team with salary cap concerns. There are a few used up lineman on this team that keep being brought back
because we can get them on the cheap. There is a reason their "cheap". Because they are DONE! Starting with Hampton, I want to see some serious upgrades to the lines.
What Ben is being subjected to the last two years is unaceptable. And not having a real
running game is also unaceptable. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and free up money to fix the offensive line. It is the most important position on the field next to the QB. In some respects it's equally as important. Given time, an average QB can make the basic throws, behind a good offensive line. Without a good line even the best QB's struggle.

I don't think my mind is capable of wrapping itself the concept of Pittsburgh having a quality, solid, cohesive offensive line.

coldrolled
01-17-2012, 01:27 PM
A new OC will make us look better... Arians probably doesnt want to revamp with good players on the OL because he knows he wont make it work any better with a great OL.

he would expose his weakness..... a brain.

connecticutsteel
01-18-2012, 04:10 AM
It really wasn't a bad O-line the big thing is having them play together week after week which didn't happen. check it out
STARKS KEMO POUNCEY FOSTER GILBERT/COLON THAT'S REALLY NOT THE WORST o-line iv'e ever seen repetition plus next year it will be better with hopfully konz ,zeitler or osomele in kemo's spot

DBR96A
01-18-2012, 05:09 AM
If the Steelers don't use free agency, then where did they get James Farrior, Ryan Clark, Byron Leftwich and Jerricho Cotchery from?

LatrobePA
01-18-2012, 09:14 AM
If the Steelers don't use free agency, then where did they get James Farrior, Ryan Clark, Byron Leftwich and Jerricho Cotchery from?

Drops that no one wanted, they took a chance on these players...

Our FO will never land a big name FA it's just not in their style... IMO they need to change that thinking and get this oline right..

cmerrifield
01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Why would we have to use Free agency for the oline this year? We drafted Pouncey and Gilbert in rounds 1 and 2 the last couple years. Either resign Starks or move Gilbert to LT, draft a couple of interior guys and our line is fine. No reason to go spend money now. Even one stud interior guy and the line would be fine. Foster isnt terrible at RG.

Oh, and I love the theory, but I dont think its the reason our oline has been terrible.

Goodfrom55
01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
It really wasn't a bad O-line the big thing is having them play together week after week which didn't happen. check it out
STARKS KEMO POUNCEY FOSTER GILBERT/COLON THAT'S REALLY NOT THE WORST o-line iv'e ever seen repetition plus next year it will be better with hopfully konz ,zeitler or osomele in kemo's spot

I have to agree with you to a point here. Steelers had something like 10 different O-line combinations this year, and its hard to "gel" into a cohesive unit when a guy is playing one week and out the next. The only weak link, IMO on the O-line is big juicy. He's too big, and slow (although he does pull very well), but he makes too many mental errors which tend to kill drive momentum. Steelers need to look for a left guard and consider sliding Gilbert over to LT of Starks is not healthy. If Starks is healthy, then I say keep Starks at LT, Gilbert at RT and Colon would be a cap casualty. I like Pouncey, and Foster is vastly underrated.

LatrobePA
01-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Why would we have to use Free agency for the oline this year? We drafted Pouncey and Gilbert in rounds 1 and 2 the last couple years. Either resign Starks or move Gilbert to LT, draft a couple of interior guys and our line is fine. No reason to go spend money now. Even one stud interior guy and the line would be fine. Foster isnt terrible at RG.

Oh, and I love the theory, but I dont think its the reason our oline has been terrible.

I agree, with some good playcalling the current oline could be decent..

xBlitzBurghx
01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Let's trade mendy or wallace for a good olineman and a young cb !

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
01-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Let's trade mendy or wallace for a good olineman and a young cb !

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Mendy won't be worth much, that's why this team isn't going to do much with him until he proves he's able to perform again..

Wallace would stir some interest..

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Every time I read this post title it makes me laugh. The reason being is that you'd almost think it's true that the Steelers front office has been "ok" with a subpar offensive line. It wasn't until the last 2 years that they really started going after quality lineman to improve it but before that you'd never guess they were that concerned.

It's realistically going to take another 2 drafts with at least 2 good lineman in each before we can say this line is back to potentially being sound.

LatrobePA
01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Quick fix: FA players, to draft someone and expect them to come in and perform like Pouncey as a rookie is expecting too much IMO!

Real Deal Steel
01-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Every time I read this post title it makes me laugh. The reason being is that you'd almost think it's true that the Steelers front office has been "ok" with a subpar offensive line. It wasn't until the last 2 years that they really started going after quality lineman to improve it but before that you'd never guess they were that concerned.

It's realistically going to take another 2 drafts with at least 2 good lineman in each before we can say this line is back to potentially being sound.

You can't tell that to some of the posters in here. They think the line is okay. Other then Pouncey and Gilbert, that line is creaky even when all healthy. After they use
their first round pick on the NT position, they need to dedicate the second and third round picks to the O-line. We need to get atleast one of these lines solid and sound and since we're half way home with the O-line, we might as well wrap it up in this off-season.