PDA

View Full Version : Move Ziggy Hood to NT in 2012?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
He'd have to put on probably a good 10 lbs., IMO. He's listed at 6'3" 300 lbs. Hood finished with 31 Tackles and 1.5 Sacks in 2011. The main thing with Hood is that he needs to be able to take on the blocks and not get swallowed up and pushed around at the point of attack. That's absolutely paramount at NT.

I know back when he was drafted and up through last year as well we talked about the possibility of moving him to NT. Steve McLendon is only listed at 280 lbs. but he is very strong at the point of attack, he just needs to get experience. I'm not sure about putting Hood at NT full time. He doesn't always make the play but there were many times when he was helping to corral the running back into the arms of another Steeler, or forcing the Quarterback to slide right into the grasp of a teammate.

Personally I'd like to see McLendon put on some weight as well, he's listed at 6'4" 280 lbs for this season. Just to compare, Chris Hoke is 6'2" 305 lbs. Casey is obviously the biggest player and move immovable of the 4 we're talking about. His status is up in the air right now because of his salary; a restructure is in order for him to return.

In any event, since Hoke is most likely done with football and the status of Big Snack still not confirmed, NT is going to be a key position for the Steelers.

Raleigh Steel
01-17-2012, 12:59 PM
i could have sworn that we drafted him to be hamptons eventual replacement, then they moved him to DE. i could be pulling a hillary though...misremembering. sorry, a little political humor.

K Train
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
id like taamu or chapman in round 2, possibly poe in 1.

but ive been saying move hood to nose for 2 years now so im on board with that.

hopefull woods can do something, cant just be labeled a raw player forever

K Train
01-17-2012, 01:03 PM
i could have sworn that we drafted him to be hamptons eventual replacement, then they moved him to DE. i could be pulling a hillary though...misremembering. sorry, a little political humor.

no he was drafted as a 5 technique DE...poor pick back then, poor pick now. He would be great as a UT in a 43, but is just average in his role here

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
I've liked the progress that Hood has made, although it's been a SLOW process. I'm just not sure he's stout enough to take on a Center and Guard and occupy those blocks enough. If the NT gets blown off the ball the offense is going to run it down your throats all day long.

coach
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I hope we get a classic NT that can be a force. If Hood is that, I am all for it too. I remember when our D had 4 or 5 great games in a row to start last year. It seems we have had injuries galore since then and the team hasn't been the same despite going to the SB and winning 12 games this year.

coldrolled
01-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Woods is like Keisel size, hopefully he sees he is at the end of his tryouts... we are team three now right?

Real Deal Steel
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM

We can get poe in round 1. That's the direction we need to be thinking.

tburg68
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
NT is most definitely his best position.

Zachintosh66
01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
agreed, time to get man child Heyward into the lineup also

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2012, 08:44 PM
It is possible to stick Heyward in Hood's spot and then move Ziggy inside. Cam is strong as a friggin ox, he showed flashes of serious defensive line play this season. I can remember several times him getting ahold of the back with 1 hand and just dragging him down.

K Train
01-17-2012, 09:01 PM
I've liked the progress that Hood has made, although it's been a SLOW process. I'm just not sure he's stout enough to take on a Center and Guard and occupy those blocks enough. If the NT gets blown off the ball the offense is going to run it down your throats all day long.
hed be playing like a 1 gap NT, it would be more like dallas 34 but hes absolutely stout enough, he wins one on one matchups and lined up over center hes at his best

Woods is like Keisel size, hopefully he sees he is at the end of his tryouts... we are team three now right?
hes much bigger and built much more like a NT, which is his natural position. keisel is built more like a gigantic LB

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
He does win his one on one matchups but the times when teams do play him with a Guard and Center at the same time, can he hold up consistently? I would like to think so but I saw him bet blown up this season on many occasions.

K Train
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
his getting blown up is because when hes playing outside he tries to bend the corner like a DE or an OLB....he doesnt stack and shed well on the outside because he wants to be a pass rusher, and hes too slow and ultimately gets pushed out of the play.

i say tell him to eat a lot, put on another 10-15 pounds and weve got a solid, yet unconvential NT of the future.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
I think McLendon is almost stronger at the point of attack right now just based on watching him play. If Hood can put on some weight then it would be somewhat unconventional but it could work, yeah. I agree with how he gets blown up, which is what makes me wonder how much better he's going to get out there. He has improved but man it's been a slow process to watch.

I guess we're just spoiled with having Aaron Smith be such a beast for so long there.

SteelCityKid5
01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Kiper's Mock Draft 1.0:

Pittsburgh Steelers
Record: 12-4*
Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Dick LeBeau can do a lot of things, but he can't scheme around age. The Steelers were very good on defense this season, but they simply have to get younger, particularly up front, if they want to maintain it. Poe has risen a lot for me in terms of value, but he's also a rarity, that zero-technique centerpiece to a 3-4 defense, the guy who simply eats up tacklers and is a human wall in the run game. If he develops, Poe can be the heir to Casey Hampton in the middle of that scheme, a human boulder who will free up those linebackers"

Went to Memphis' website... this guy is listen at 6'5 350.... thats insane... KTrain, whats the scouting report on this guy?

K Train
01-18-2012, 04:22 PM
his potential is unreal, however despite looking the part im not sure how i feel about him on a 3 man line, hes just not as powerful of an anchor as he should be and isnt the best at shedding blocks...wouldnt be upset at him, but 1) he could very well be the first DT off the board, and 2) taamu or chapman in round 2 might be more bang for your buck.

JollyRob68
01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Doesn't Hood play the nose/off centered Nose on passing downs anyway? We have AL woods, Corbin Bryant and signed DL Mike Blanc and Kade Weston. I was hoping Keith Butler was being Promoted to DC.

PITTxPRIDE
01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
i agree's with that!

Nolrog
01-19-2012, 07:54 PM
If Ziggy can play nose, then it lessens the need on the DLine and Hampton could be let go. We'd still have to pick someone quite high though.

Ideally, they'll look for a decent MILB to replace Farrior and a decent guard to plug into the OL, and then look to fill the other needs via the draft.

Real Deal Steel
01-21-2012, 12:13 AM
If they move Ziggy Hood to nose tackle, that tells me that they are going to take
the guard from Georgia with their first pick in the draft.

K Train
01-21-2012, 01:13 PM
that guard from georgia may not even grade out as a 3rd round pick when its all said and done. im just not sure how i feel about cordy glenn