PDA

View Full Version : Can Joe Flacco outplay Tom Brady??

Troyisabeast_43
01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
That is the big question of the week as far as the Ravens Patriots matchup in the AFC Championship game is concerned. Forget about Ray Rice running the ball and what not when it's all said and done in this game I truly believe that the game will single handily come down to whether or not Joe Flacco can go toe to toe with Tom Brady and match him point for point. I just do not see Joe Flacco having the heart of a champion and having what it takes to win a game like the one he is going to have to win Sunday in New England. I do believe the Ravens will have a decent shot to win the game Sunday in New England but in the end I believe like Flacco always does under pressure in big games he will fold and screw up.

Since 2002 the only 3 teams out of the AFC to play in the Super Bowl have either been the Patriots,Steelers or Colts. The Ravens will be looking to end that streak Sunday in New England. If you look at who Flacco has beaten in his playoff wins it's not that impressive. He did beat Brady in 2009 but he had nothing to do with it in that game throwing for 40 yards and having Ray Rice run all over the Pats. Other then that his wins are against Miami and Chad Pennington,Tennessee and Kerry Collins,Kansas City and Matt Cassell,and Houston and TJ Yates. His 3 playoff losses are to two of the three teams that have been to the Super Bowl in the AFC the last 9 years in the Colts and Steelers. And I believe his 4th loss will come this Sunday to the other team of the 3 the Patriots and another great QB in Tom Brady. Flacco just doesnot have what it takes to get over the hump I believe and he will show that once again Sunday in New England.

North Steel
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:Never in his fu_king life.it all depends on the defence in this game.pats defence goes for a **** and balt defence comes up big,but in flakeo's hands never.

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Flacco almost didn't outplay Yates.

coldrolled
01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Ravens defense should win this game.

So far the better defenses have won the games.

Not counting us because we are inept at offense.

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Ravens defense should win this game.

So far the better defenses have won the games.

Not counting us because we are inept at offense.

So far the offenses that didn't show up, like the Packers, Steelers, Falcons, Houston, and Bengals, and the teams that simply got outscored, like Denver, Detroit, and the Saints, are the teams that have lost.

I haven't seen good defense from a single team.

Patriots win easily and put up at least 24 points.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
NO He's got Rice (did he play in that last game?), Reed and T Shittzle and a couple others. Take them away and you got nothin. They playin in bill belichick's house.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Its since 2003 the Raiders reached the Super Bowl in 2002.....But yea interesting only 3 teams from the AFC have reached the Super Bowl since 2003.....

Nolrog
01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Flacco cannot outplay Tom Brady.

The real question is can Flacco manage the game and not make any mistakes so that Ray Rice and that defense can make enough plays to win.

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Flacco is a bum and can't out play pee wee herman straight up.

If Brady stands tall in the pocket, Ravens can forget about it. It's that simple. Ed Reed can't cover Gronkowski.

LatrobePA
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
No but his defense can...

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2012, 06:44 PM

No...Ed Reed can't guard him and the Ravens lb's can't run with him. So the only thing to do is make sure Brady can't get him the ball. But if he gets it, Ravens will have problems.

LatrobePA
01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Ray Rice will run wild.. Flacco can suck juicy turd!

connecticutsteel
01-16-2012, 07:24 PM
The pats will win by 20

Speeed
01-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I don't think he outplayed him. Yates played like crap, and Flacco played conservatively. It seemed to me like they don't trust him. If Yates does did not turn the ball over, I feel the Texans would have won.

I always felt the Ravens can have just about anyone at QB, and that would have little effect on the way they play and their record. The QB position for them is just a placeholder. The Ravens did not build their team around him. If you look at the Pats, and even the Steelers to some extent, they build their team around a QB and play accordingly.

So, if the Ravens win, it will not be because Flacco outplayed Brady, it will be because of the Ravens D. Flacco is better than the other lot the Ravens have had over the years, but he ain't great by any stretch of the imagination. Watch Ravens hi-lites and don't hold your breath looking for Flacco to show up.

I will give the Ravens credit, I think they have a hell of a team this year. I just hope the Patriots school them.

Flacco almost didn't outplay Yates.

LevonKirkland99
01-16-2012, 08:27 PM

what defense? Suggs couldn't put any pressure on Yates yesterday all game long. I think Brady will rely on his tightends and spread the Ravens out.

Look for Belicjick to put one heck of a game plan. I just trust Brady to win this one more that Kool Aid drinker-Flacco.

The word here in DC that Flacco has a great game:lol:

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 09:54 PM
The pats will win by 20

That seems pretty accurate.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2012, 12:10 PM
There's no way Flacco outplays Tom Brady. If the Ravens win it's because Brady threw too many interceptions and the Patriots failed to take advantage of their scoring opportunities. There's no way in God's green earth that Fu Man Chu could outplay Brady or Brees or Rodgers. Hell he rarely outplays Big Ben in those matchups.

CowherPower
01-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Flacco was terrible in that game on Sunday, if he plays like that the Ravens have no chance of winning even with their good defense. Baltimore won't hold the Patriots to just 10-13 points.

DIESELMAN
01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Hell no!! The only chance the Rat turds have to win is if Rice gets 30+ touches, their defense forces Brady out of his element and Flaccid manages his game with no turnovers. Flaccid cannot, will not beat the Pats on his own, he is not that good and never will be.

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Flacco would love to tickle Brady's bag with that stupid looking stash!

Ravens1
01-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Can he? Yes. He torched you at home this season for the game winning drive.

Will he? Who knows.

Historically he does better in no huddle. Hopefullly they work that in and give NE different looks.

SteelDad
01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I highly doubt it. I'll be shocked if Bill doesn't have something cooked up special for this game.

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Flacco will take the fall for this loss, last year of his contract this loss won't help!

Ravens1
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Accurate assessment of the state of affairs I think...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-01-16/sports/bs-sp-preston-column-0117-20120116_1_ravens-quarterback-joe-flacco-cameron-and-flacco-brian-billick-era

DIESELMAN
01-17-2012, 05:35 PM

Will he? Who knows.

Historically he does better in no huddle. Hopefullly they work that in and give NE different looks.

Can he? No he can't!! What he did against us is irrelevant to the actual question of the thread.

DIESELMAN
01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Accurate assessment of the state of affairs I think...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-01-16/sports/bs-sp-preston-column-0117-20120116_1_ravens-quarterback-joe-flacco-cameron-and-flacco-brian-billick-era

That sums it up pretty good. Granted, NE's D gives up points but I seriously doubt Cameron and Harbaugh want to get into a shooting with Brady and company, they won't be able to keep up IMHO.

Ravens1
01-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Can he? No he can't!! What he did against us is irrelevant to the actual question of the thread.

With all due respect Dieselman, then let's further define the question rather than leaving it nebulous. How do you define outplay?

--- Added 1/17/2012 at 05:38 PM ---

That sums it up pretty good. Granted, NE's D gives up points but I seriously doubt Cameron and Harbaugh want to get into a shooting with Brady and company, they won't be able to keep up IMHO.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how it plays out

DIESELMAN
01-17-2012, 08:03 PM
With all due respect Dieselman, then let's further define the question rather than leaving it nebulous. How do you define outplay?

Since I didn't pose the question, I don't know how to further define outplay. Not trying to get in a argument about it, we are clearly fans of 2 different teams and have our own differing views on Joe Flaccid. You being the fan of said QB, totally believe that Joe Flaccid can and will even with his up and down play all season outplay Tom bitchboy Brady. As much as I hate Brady it is very clear to me and i'm sure very clear to the rest of the civilized world lol that he is head and shoulders above and better then Joe Flaccid.

steelersbabex25
01-17-2012, 08:55 PM

Will he? Who knows.

What does that have anything to do with anything? The question wasn't can Flacco outplay the Steelers defense.

The only way the Ravens beat the Pats is if they can mimick what the Steelers did to them in week 8...and I simply can not see that happening.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
The Ravens need to pound the ball with Ray Rice and control the clock...Keep Brady off the field....Brady won't light up the Ravens D like the Broncos D but still you want to keep Marsha off the field......Ray Rice is the key to this game not Joe Flacco.....Doesn't matter the Pats are winning......

Giants vs Pats and a repeat of 2007.......

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I have a feeling they're going to let cracko try to hang with Brady Passing, I hope so it will end so bad!

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-17-2012, 10:54 PM
They ain't gonna make it to the big dance. Pats will kill em. Just imagine how pissed they will be. I'd go so far as sayin they don't see another SB for a long time. Flacco will be so unwelcome in Blatimore won't be safe to walk alone. Hell it ain't safe to walk alone in Bmore now.

Ravens1
01-18-2012, 02:07 AM
What does that have anything to do with anything? The question wasn't can Flacco outplay the Steelers defense.

The only way the Ravens beat the Pats is if they can mimick what the Steelers did to them in week 8...and I simply can not see that happening.

Sorry. I fell into the trap. Didn't realize someone would take the time to post a rhetorical question.

What is the point of a question like this that has an obvious answer? To make you feel good? Trying to salvage something from your abysmal ending at the hands of Tebow by pointing out the obvious?...that Brady's record is superior to Flacco's and that he's the better quarterback? Well duh. Guess what, I have another one for you. Do you think you will ever be 16 again? Now don't spend too much time thinking about it.

Yeah right. Like you have the only blueprint for how to beat NE. After watching how you handled the 49ers and the Texans, two post season teams, I hope we figure it out for ourselves. You beat them in your house, we did it in their house. Postseason. Last matchup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLqAvF4rZE

I don't care how we do it. A win is a win and we are capable. Dissect the crap out of the individual players if you want, bisect the minutia, but the question, and in the end all that matters is, can they get it done as a team. And I say yes, it's a tall order, but we can.

No Saint's no Green Bay. Did you see that coming too?

--- Added 1/18/2012 at 01:07 AM ---

They ain't gonna make it to the big dance. Pats will kill em. Just imagine how pissed they will be. I'd go so far as sayin they don't see another SB for a long time. Flacco will be so unwelcome in Blatimore won't be safe to walk alone. Hell it ain't safe to walk alone in Bmore now.

Well I'm sure glad that you weren't the coach of Alex Smith and that John's brother was. He knows that running someone down is not the way to get the best performance out of them. Here are the stats.

According to outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, the Ravens will be facing one of the top three quarterbacks of all-time this Sunday in New England’s Tom Brady.

“When it’s all said and done, it’s going to be Johnny [Unitas], him and Peyton [Manning], end of discussion,” Suggs said.

What Suggs, and others, may not realize is that the Ravens have a quarterback on their own sideline that has in many ways mirrored Brady’s statistics over their first four NFL years.

A closer look at Flacco’s numbers compared to the three remaining quarterbacks in the playoffs – Brady, New York’s Eli Manning and San Francisco’s Alex Smith – shows that Flacco is neck-and-neck with Brady and ahead of the others.

Flacco came out of Delaware as opposed to Brady’s Michigan, Smith’s Utah and Manning’s Ole Miss, all big-time Division I programs.

Over their first four years, Flacco has the second-highest completion percentage (61 percent), only trailing Brady (62 percent). Flacco has the most passing yards per game (215.9) of the three, 2.7 yards ahead of Brady. Flacco has the second-highest collective quarterback rating (85.9). Brady’s is 86.0.

1st 4 Years in the NFL

Games Starts Completion % Yards Per Game Touchdowns Interceptions QB Rating

Joe Flacco
64 64 61% 215.9 80 46 85.9

Tom Brady
48 46 62% 213.2 69 38 86.0

Alex Smith
30 30 54% 156.0 19 31 57.6

Eli Manning
57 55 55% 199.7 77 64 70.6

Flacco has said before that a quarterback often doesn’t get recognition until they win a Super Bowl ring. Brady won his first in just his second year. Manning won his in his fourth season.

In his fourth year, Flacco can get to his first Super Bowl if he wins on Sunday in New England.

“Hey, this is what a team, this is what a player, lives for is playoff time, and having to win tight games or what could possibly be tight games,” Flacco said last week. “That’s what I, that’s what we all, really want to be in the position to do.”

This season, Flacco has excelled in tough games against playoff opponents.

In seven games against 2011 playoff teams, the Ravens are 7-0. But everybody knows that Flacco is a winner. After all, he’s won more games than any starting quarterback in modern history in his first four years.

In those seven games, Flacco has completed 126 of 202 passes (62 percent) and thrown 10 touchdowns to just two interceptions. He has averaged 224 passing yards per game and posted an average quarterback rating of 99.6.

Those numbers have not only come against playoff teams, but defensively-driven playoff teams.

The four playoff teams that Flacco faced this year – Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Francisco and Houston – all finished the regular season with defenses ranked in the top seven. Pittsburgh was No. 1, Houston No. 2, San Francisco No. 4 and Cincinnati No. 7.

Flacco went 14-for-27 for 176 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions against the Houston Texans in the divisional round.

“That’s a winning performance, and Joe – I told him [Sunday night] – I thought he played very, very well,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said.

steelersbabex25
01-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Sorry. I fell into the trap. Didn't realize someone would take the time to post a rhetorical question.

What is the point of a question like this that has an obvious answer? To make you feel good? Trying to salvage something from your abysmal ending at the hands of Tebow by pointing out the obvious?...that Brady's record is superior to Flacco's and that he's the better quarterback? Well duh. Guess what, I have another one for you. Do you think you will ever be 16 again? Now don't spend too much time thinking about it.

Yeah right. Like you have the only blueprint for how to beat NE. After watching how you handled the 49ers and the Texans, two post season teams, I hope we figure it out for ourselves. You beat them in your house, we did it in their house. Postseason. Last matchup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLqAvF4rZE

I don't care how we do it. A win is a win and we are capable. Dissect the crap out of the individual players if you want, bisect the minutia, but the question, and in the end all that matters is, can they get it done as a team. And I say yes, it's a tall order, but we can.

I'm still kind of curious as to why you're throwing in things that don't really matter. The reason we're discussing this is because it's a question worth discussing. Boom. One useless point down.

Again, why are you bringing in other games? Does the fact that we manhandled NE have anything to do with the fact that we didn't play well against other teams? Um..no not really. It's a new season honey. The past doesn't matter.

And yes, I actually did see that coming. Ask anyone on here..I said a million times that a team that is completely onesided can not make the Super Bowl. (With, now, the exception of the Patriots.)

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Sorry. I fell into the trap. Didn't realize someone would take......

Wow. I didn't know that.

Speeed
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
They did not let him try to hang with the Texans QB, why in the hell would they let him try to trade blows with Brady? Brady is a football throwing machine, and Welker, Hernandez, and Gronkowski are football catching machine-beasts. The Ravens better have a plan. I am still scratching my head over our win over them . . .

I have a feeling they're going to let cracko try to hang with Brady Passing, I hope so it will end so bad!

Troyisabeast_43
01-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Im with a lot of people when they say that this is the Ravens best opportunity to not only get to the Super Bowl this season but also win it as well. They will not get a better chance I believe in the next few seasons then the one they have in front of them on Sunday. Everything fell the Ravens way this season with them losing to bad teams such as the Jags and Seattle and still being able to win the North and get the 2 seed, they played a pretty good Texans team with a 3rd string QB in the playoffs. You need a number of things to break your way and a lot of luck to get to the Super Bowl. The Ravens swept the division this year and won it and had a lot of things go there way and now are 1 game away from getting there. They had damn well better take advantage of it because next season I dont believe all of the things that went there way this season will go their way next season...

CowherPower
01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
The schedule for them will be tougher next season if nothing else. This is their best shot by getting out of not having to play Brees or Rodgers. Tom Brady doesn't have all that many years left in the NFL, you know he's gunning to get atleast 1 more ring before he hangs it up.

If it comes down to a shootout between Flacco and Brady it won't even be close.

Ravens1
01-18-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm still kind of curious as to why you're throwing in things that don't really matter. The reason we're discussing this is because it's a question worth discussing. Boom. One useless point down.

Again, why are you bringing in other games? Does the fact that we manhandled NE have anything to do with the fact that we didn't play well against other teams? Um..no not really. It's a new season honey. The past doesn't matter.

And yes, I actually did see that coming. Ask anyone on here..I said a million times that a team that is completely onesided can not make the Super Bowl. (With, now, the exception of the Patriots.)

Steelersbabe,

The original question was "Can Joe Flacco Outplay Tom Brady." The reason that I brought up Flacco's two minute drill performance against the Steelers at home was because I thought it was relevant to what I understood the original question to ask, by saying that I thought he could (has the motorskill set), but I didn't know if he would (seems to lack the mental skill set...at times). Your team had the superior defense in the NFL this year, and New Englands is far behind. My point was that if Joe could perform that way under pressure against the Steeler's top ranked defense, he SHOULD be able to "light up" New England's lower ranked defense. Brady with his superior skill set is going up against a, when firing on all cylinders, formidable defense. Considering all of it, and it is a complicated equation, I believe that Joe Flacco COULD put up more numbers against the NE D, than Brady can put up against the Raven's D. Will he? I am not betting on it, but will simply watch it play out. It was that simple in my mind. After this explanation, if my thought process is still not clear, or if you find it lacking, I don't know what to say.

I have been following football more this year than ever before and learning a lot. Particularly from the very knowledgeable folks on this board who are very into it and who are not just one sided, but quick to point out their own teams weaknesses etc. That said, one thing I believe to be true is that it is more about how opponents "Match Up" than it is about who is the "better" team, whatever that means. Teams are not quick to change their style, so it is important to see how you match up with a particular team and make what adjustments you can. If you are asking me why I brought up the 49er's and Denver, it was because, while you successfullly handled NE at home, the game plan wasn't adjusted effectively against the other opponents, even docking you points for your injuries. I brought up NE and our past playoff game with them because we were able to do what we needed to do to win it. Hopefully we will be able to correctly break it down again. Look below at the stats from the 2009 playoff game.

FinalBaltimore33
New England14
Recap »
Box Score »
Play-By-Play »
T Brady23-42
154 YDS
2 TDS

J Flacco4-10
34 YDS
0 TDS

Flacco for 34 yards to Brady's 154 and no touchdowns to 2. Yet we won. Did our defense carry the game? Yes they did. Hopefully it can balance out a little more this time, but not if that means interceptions. Flacco managed a tough Texans defense that consistently was able to get through his O line and get to him. He took 5 sacks. But he threw no interceptions. They had his receivers blanketed and they were able to still bring enough pressure to get to him. Better that he take the sack than push a bad position. And that also takes awareness and skill. Something that TJ Yates is learning and something that Big Ben should have done more of during our week 1 matchup. My point is that outplaying someone can be defined as simply doing what needs to be done so that your team has the best chance of winning in a given situation.

So New England is the exception to your rule? Why is that? Because they are playing us at home?

North Steel
01-18-2012, 06:38 PM

--- Added 1/18/2012 at 01:07 AM ---

Well I'm sure glad that you weren't the coach of Alex Smith and that John's brother was. He knows that running someone down is not the way to get the best performance out of them. Here are the stats.

According to outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, the Ravens will be facing one of the top three quarterbacks of all-time this Sunday in New England’s Tom Brady.

“When it’s all said and done, it’s going to be Johnny [Unitas], him and Peyton [Manning], end of discussion,” Suggs said.

What Suggs, and others, may not realize is that the Ravens have a quarterback on their own sideline that has in many ways mirrored Brady’s statistics over their first four NFL years.

A closer look at Flacco’s numbers compared to the three remaining quarterbacks in the playoffs – Brady, New York’s Eli Manning and San Francisco’s Alex Smith – shows that Flacco is neck-and-neck with Brady and ahead of the others.

Flacco came out of Delaware as opposed to Brady’s Michigan, Smith’s Utah and Manning’s Ole Miss, all big-time Division I programs.

Over their first four years, Flacco has the second-highest completion percentage (61 percent), only trailing Brady (62 percent). Flacco has the most passing yards per game (215.9) of the three, 2.7 yards ahead of Brady. Flacco has the second-highest collective quarterback rating (85.9). Brady’s is 86.0.

1st 4 Years in the NFL

Games Starts Completion % Yards Per Game Touchdowns Interceptions QB Rating

Joe Flacco
64 64 61% 215.9 80 46 85.9

Tom Brady
48 46 62% 213.2 69 38 86.0

Alex Smith
30 30 54% 156.0 19 31 57.6

Eli Manning
57 55 55% 199.7 77 64 70.6

Flacco has said before that a quarterback often doesn’t get recognition until they win a Super Bowl ring. Brady won his first in just his second year. Manning won his in his fourth season.

In his fourth year, Flacco can get to his first Super Bowl if he wins on Sunday in New England.

“Hey, this is what a team, this is what a player, lives for is playoff time, and having to win tight games or what could possibly be tight games,” Flacco said last week. “That’s what I, that’s what we all, really want to be in the position to do.”

This season, Flacco has excelled in tough games against playoff opponents.

In seven games against 2011 playoff teams, the Ravens are 7-0. But everybody knows that Flacco is a winner. After all, he’s won more games than any starting quarterback in modern history in his first four years.

In those seven games, Flacco has completed 126 of 202 passes (62 percent) and thrown 10 touchdowns to just two interceptions. He has averaged 224 passing yards per game and posted an average quarterback rating of 99.6.

Those numbers have not only come against playoff teams, but defensively-driven playoff teams.

The four playoff teams that Flacco faced this year – Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Francisco and Houston – all finished the regular season with defenses ranked in the top seven. Pittsburgh was No. 1, Houston No. 2, San Francisco No. 4 and Cincinnati No. 7.

Flacco went 14-for-27 for 176 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions against the Houston Texans in the divisional round.

“That’s a winning performance, and Joe – I told him [Sunday night] – I thought he played very, very well,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said.

Who gives a flying ****.If NE gets out to a lead its all over for your glue snorting QB .:tt02:

steelers75
01-18-2012, 07:04 PM
I hope the Ravens stomp the Patriots' guts out and then turn around and lose in the Bowl, preferably to the Giants.