PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Giants/Packers game

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 03:00 AM
I learned one thing and had another suspicion confirmed.

First, I received confirmation that referees aren't stupid. They don't make bad call. They do however make calls in order to help one team or another. Whether their decision to make those calls based on personal reasons or because the NFL sends down orders is the question.

If the Giants lost that game, it would've been robbery. That overturned fumble reminded me of the overturned Polamalu interception against the Colts in the 2005 postseason.

Second, the last play of the first half is evidence that the NFL is a completely different league, and teams can either conform or be left in the dust. Instead of attempting a 44 yard field goal, Coughlin orders a 37 yard Hail Mary, which ends up getting caught for a touchdown by a receiver in triple coverage.

What did this show? It showed that Coughlin, a very smart head coach, understands that this league is now a passing league. With the lack of offensive holding calls, and the abundance of defensive holding, pass interference, and illegal contact calls on the secondary, a Hail Mary from 37 yards out is better than a field goal.

Rushing the ball is good for nothing other than running down defenses and killing the clock in the new NFL. If you can't pass in this league, and if you can't put up 3 or more touchdowns in any given game, then chances are that you're not going anywhere in the postseason.

And anyone who thinks our wide receivers are "great," I hope you all saw what truly "great" wide receivers can do for an average quarterback. And I hope everyone who $hits on Roethlisberger for not doing enough, I hope you all saw what an average quarterback like Eli can do when the offensive line gives him 5-10 comfortable seconds in the pocket.

xBlitzBurghx
01-16-2012, 03:12 AM
I learned something too. Eli Manning has definitely matured as a qb in this league. He doesn't make as many dumb throws as he used to. He has gotten better as he has gotten older. Big ben still plays like he did his first year. Dumb throws, holds on to the ball too much, notorious fumbler, all those good things.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

xBlitzBurghx
01-16-2012, 03:15 AM
On the other hand...... I loved seeing the packers lose. They had a cake schedule and lost to the Chiefs. Honestly how many really good teams did they play this year? I kept telling all my friends they weren't that good, but why would anybody believe me. Not to mention the calls in this game were disgusting.

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 03:25 AM
I learned something too. Eli Manning has definitely matured as a qb in this league. He doesn't make as many dumb throws as he used to. He has gotten better as he has gotten older. Big ben still plays like he did his first year. Dumb throws, holds on to the ball too much, notorious fumbler, all those good things.

You see a quarterback who has matured; I see a quarterback that has several comfortable seconds in the pocket on most snaps, and still makes inaccurate throws that are caught by his receivers.

--- Added 1/16/2012 at 02:25 AM ---

On the other hand...... I loved seeing the packers lose. They had a cake schedule and lost to the Chiefs. Honestly how many really good teams did they play this year? I kept telling all my friends they weren't that good, but why would anybody believe me. Not to mention the calls in this game were disgusting.

No one played anyone good this year. Any team that was good this year was good based on last year. More than half the league's teams were completely uncompetitive this season. The Steelers really didn't play anyone good either.

xBlitzBurghx
01-16-2012, 03:26 AM
I'm not here to argue with you man lol just stating my opinion. Our team is out and it blows. That's just the bottom line. If our line was better ben would probably be better as well. Do you think if we had the best offensive line and the worst d in the league that ben could put up 30 to 40 points a game? And win games?

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm not here to argue with you man lol just stating my opinion. Our team is out and it blows. That's just the bottom line. If our line was better ben would probably be better as well. Do you think if we had the best offensive line and the worst d in the league that ben could put up 30 to 40 points a game? And win games?

Literally the best offensive line in the league? Yes, even with Arians, Roethlisberger and the offense would easily put up 4 or more touchdowns a game.

steelchamp204
01-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Literally the best offensive line in the league? Yes, even with Arians, Roethlisberger and the offense would easily put up 4 or more touchdowns a game.

I think were he is coming from is that Ben is not the same QB he was a few years ago. I know that this year. I wasnt sure what kind of Ben we were gonna get from week to week. I know some of the blame can go on the Oline, the OC and so on and so on. But Ben has dealt with that in past seasons. I just had really no confidence in him this year to keep making them spectacular plays week in and week out. Im not sure if that blowout in Bmore took some of the wind out of my sails but since that game I just didnt have a good feeling. I dont want Ben to take over games and carry the team on his back. I liked it when he was throwing for about 25 times a game and such. I know we have to many weapons on offense to limit his throws but we need to get back to some sort of run game so Ben can "manage" a game instead of trying to win it all the time. I would rather have a "managing" Ben than a Ben trying to thread the needle or take stupid risks to try and prove something to people. I know he still has some years left in him but hes at a point in his career where he cant be taking 40-50 sacks a year. There is no way he can do that for another 3-4 seasons and expect to play past 35. I just think Ben is a more dangerous qb when he is managing a game is all instead of trying to put up stats. Know what I mean?

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 03:57 AM
I think were he is coming from is that Ben is not the same QB he was a few years ago. I know that this year. I wasnt sure what kind of Ben we were gonna get from week to week. I know some of the blame can go on the Oline, the OC and so on and so on. But Ben has dealt with that in past seasons. I just had really no confidence in him this year to keep making them spectacular plays week in and week out. Im not sure if that blowout in Bmore took some of the wind out of my sails but since that game I just didnt have a good feeling. I dont want Ben to take over games and carry the team on his back. I liked it when he was throwing for about 25 times a game and such. I know we have to many weapons on offense to limit his throws but we need to get back to some sort of run game so Ben can "manage" a game instead of trying to win it all the time. I would rather have a "managing" Ben than a Ben trying to thread the needle or take stupid risks to try and prove something to people. I know he still has some years left in him but hes at a point in his career where he cant be taking 40-50 sacks a year. There is no way he can do that for another 3-4 seasons and expect to play past 35. I just think Ben is a more dangerous qb when he is managing a game is all instead of trying to put up stats. Know what I mean?

You also think Schaub, Romo, Eli, and Stafford are all better quarterbacks than Roethlisberger. Eli had 8-10 seconds in the pocket on one of the plays in last nights game. Have you ever in your life seen Roethlisberger have 8-10 comfortable seconds in the pocket?

steelchamp204
01-16-2012, 04:00 AM
You also think Schaub, Romo, Eli, and Stafford are all better quarterbacks than Roethlisberger. Eli had 8-10 seconds in the pocket on one of the plays in last nights game. Have you ever in your life seen Roethlisberger have 8-10 comfortable seconds in the pocket?

Seriously. Im gonna say this one more time. I am putting Eli/Romo @ #5 with Ben right now. Im not backing down from it. Can we just carry on with the convo before hand :banging:

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 04:03 AM
Seriously. Im gonna say this one more time. I am putting Eli/Romo @ #5 with Ben right now. Im not backing down from it. Can we just carry on with the convo before hand :banging:

No, you put Romo, Schaub, Stafford, and Eli ahead of Roethlisberger. But let's move on. SO have you ever seen Roethlisberger get 8-10 comfortable seconds in the pocket?

steelchamp204
01-16-2012, 04:06 AM
No, you put Romo, Schaub, Stafford, and Eli ahead of Roethlisberger. But let's move on. SO have you ever seen Roethlisberger get 8-10 comfortable seconds in the pocket?

Nope, and he never will. So thats why we need a run game with a good play action attack to it. Which is why he would be a better "manager" qb than a "carrying" qb.

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 04:14 AM
Nope, and he never will. So thats why we need a run game with a good play action attack to it. Which is why he would be a better "manager" qb than a "carrying" qb.

Stack the box while applying pressure against a weak offensive line. We're not running anything without a proper offensive line, and if we have a proper offensive line then we might as well pass like everyone else is. Our quarterback has the arm and the accuracy, it makes no sense to not let him pass if he has the line for it.

coldrolled
01-16-2012, 07:27 AM
NY has some nice blitzing OLB's and Milb's they are quick and they spin and turn and flip to get the QB. They seem to stay out of the headlock hold.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Defense missing or not (that's what all the GB luvers are saying). The Giants looked good. The refs were definitely on Green Bay's side. That's right I saw what you saw. Congratulations Giants, a 9 and 7 team going into the play-offs.

LatrobePA
01-16-2012, 09:23 AM
The Giants showed up ready to play. The Packers appeared to be unprepared and flat, let's not foget there was a lot of emotions with the passing of the OC's son...

All in all the Giants put it to them and were the better team, kudos to Eli and his offense!

Speeed
01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
I saw a Packer jump into the stands with the fans and not get called. I saw that like 5 times since I saw a Steeler do it at the beginning of the year and get called for "excessive celebration."

I saw Aaron Rogers rushed, and he made mistakes. That right there was the difference.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Well when a defense can put pressure on a QB makes a huge difference....Rodgers looked really average yesterday.....Ben gets pressured all the time and takes a beating......Its time for the Steelers to really fix the interior of the offensive line......

As for Eli I always liked Eli and don't think he is average at all but I still would take Ben over him......But I love Hakeem Nicks....He was a beast at North Carolina and would have loved for him to be a Steeler......Victor Cruz came out of nowhere to have a damn good year for the Giants......Mario Manningham can be a big play maker but he is so inconsistent......

As for the Steelers WRs........If Mike Wallace could get the sand out of vagina and not sulk at times he could be a great WR......I don't know how anybody can knock Antonio Brown in his first year as a starter and he wasn't the starter the whole year he had a a damn good year.....As for Sanders a foot injury plagued him all year which ruined his season.......Knock Arians to for not using these guys right at times...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2012, 11:48 AM
The Packers sat down Rodgers in the last game of the season, basically not playing him for 3 weeks until they lost last night. He was clearly rusty, and the receivers were dropping passes all over the place. They paid the price for resting Rodgers too much.

Credit the Giants big time for putting all kinds of pressure and forcing turnovers. Let's face it, Lambeau ain't the same place it used to be.

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Rodgers took two weeks off because he didn't play the last game of the season. And it hurt him. Wr's for the packers were dropping balls or getting stripped.

The Giants came to play. Simple as that. They ran a great cover 2 scheme back there also. I didn't see the urgency in the Packers like I saw in the Giants either.

LatrobePA
01-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Do people still consider the Packers WR's as the best in the NFL?

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-16-2012, 12:34 PM
The Packers sat down Rodgers in the last game of the season, basically not playing him for 3 weeks until they lost last night. He was clearly rusty, and the receivers were dropping passes all over the place. They paid the price for resting Rodgers too much.

Credit the Giants big time for putting all kinds of pressure and forcing turnovers. Let's face it, Lambeau ain't the same place it used to be.

All them drops. Man that was beautiful. Just goes to show, that really, any winner can become a loser real fast in this game called NFL football.

Troyisabeast_43
01-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I think as the season went on and the Packers were still unbeaten after 13 games they became more full of themselves and got more arrogant and started believing their own hype and I think that was their downfall. I noticed Aaron Rodgers at his post game press conferences started to become more arrogant then he was a year ago before he won the Super Bowl. I just think all the commercials that you started seeing Rodgers do with Clay Matthews started to go to their heads too much among other things just made me sick of the Packers and made me glad that they got booted yesterday and were 1 and done.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
I think as the season went on and the Packers were still unbeaten after 13 games they became more full of themselves and got more arrogant and started believing their own hype and I think that was their downfall. I noticed Aaron Rodgers at his post game press conferences started to become more arrogant then he was a year ago before he won the Super Bowl. I just think all the commercials that you started seeing Rodgers do with Clay Matthews started to go to their heads too much among other things just made me sick of the Packers and made me glad that they got booted yesterday and were 1 and done.

That interview was surreal. Rodgers sounded like he actually won the game. Is he on drugs too?

steelspikes
01-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Watching Eli & Giants beat the Patsies in 2007 was, outside of Steeler wins in '06 and '09, my favorite Superbowl in recent history. Eli, Ben, and Rivers all hail from the class of '04. Wouldn't mind seeing Eli get his 2nd ring. Might light a fire under Ben's arse. Tom Coughlin is Old School and Jints play defense too.

NYCsteelersfan
01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Tom Coughlin is Old School and Jints play defense too.

Coughlin is a real head coach who was always able to put together an offense through the building of a great offensive line that allows for a running game and is able to give his quarterback 3-5 comfortable seconds on every snap. He lit up the Steelers using McCardell, Smith and Brunell back when defenses were truly great, and he has used a career 80 QB rated quarterback like Eli and has paired him with receivers and a game plan to go to the NFC Championship. I would trade LeBeau, Tomlin, one of the Rooneys, every single one of our offensive linemen, Mendenhall, Wallace, Heath Miller, and every single Steeler fan that actually thinks Tomlin is a good coach in exchange for Coughlin.