PDA

View Full Version : Let Gay walk and promote Lewis to starter in 2012?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2012, 08:02 PM
William Gay is unrestricted, and although he did have an improved year he was exposed in key situations as we saw this season. Both he and Keenan Lewis took the next steps in their careers and I'm honestly looking to see Lewis move up the depth chart and challenge for that starting job in 2012.

Gay finished with 61 tackles, 2 Interceptions, and 13 passes defensed.
Lewis finished with 37 tackles, 1 Interception, and 6 passes defensed.

Gay of course got more playing time as the starting corner opposite Ike Taylor so his numbers are higher. Consider too that you have Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, both of whom played a big role on special teams and Cortez Allen especially was getting significant snaps in the dime defense this year before he was injured. Dick Lebeau said he's very comfortable with putting him out there. This could be the year where Gay is the odd man out. Just something to think about.

jpele
01-15-2012, 08:20 PM
I believe there moving Gay to safety

LatrobePA
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I'd say Gay will be back..

nuclearchihuahuas
01-15-2012, 08:28 PM
I'd say Gay will be back..

Have to agree

cmerrifield
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I think Gay will be back and Allen will move to safety.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2012, 10:14 PM
I would say, you've invested two pretty high draft picks in 2011 at DB. Don't make the mistake of letting them sit on the bench or just play special teams. Use them in a more active role in the secondary and let Gay move on.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

LatrobePA
01-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Tomlin enjoys to let draft picks age on the bench in favor of the vets..

HUNT4SEVEN
01-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Gay will be a better fit at safety! and K.Lewis will take Gays spot, but don't count out Cortez or Brown they both played great in spot duty.

SteelerRush
01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Gay had a good season but I just can't let the way he played in the previous seasons go.

I say let him walk. Keenan Lewis should get his shot.

We need to draft a real safety this year, I don't think Ryan Mundy is that good of a backup.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Gay can't play safety. He can barely tackle

steelchamp204
01-16-2012, 03:22 AM
We need to draft a Coverage safety to play along Troy. I say Gay will be back for another season but we will see what happens. Hes showed flashes of great play but then again he has shown "wtf" type plays alot to.

coldrolled
01-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Draft a fast MILB - Trade 56 or 92 for a good LT

Draft another OLB, Draft a G, Draft a SS, Draft a G/C

Draft a Kicker, Sign a 2nd string QB in FA

Raleigh Steel
01-16-2012, 07:49 AM
gay just looked good this season because he was so ****** the previous seasons. when you set the bar as low as he did, you can't help but look better.

we can let gay go and promote lewis as well. allen and brown will get more playing time because of it and the secondary will be much improved.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
If they do want to keep him they won't have to break the bank. I just think is one of those times where you start using the draft picks you have. No more holding onto veterans just because, there's a bunch of young talent waiting to emerge and the Steelers better start using it like other teams do.

coldrolled
01-16-2012, 04:43 PM
trade gay and at least get someone for him.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm hoping Cortez Allen steps and is a starter....I really like this kid.......

Nolrog
01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Draft a fast MILB - Trade 56 or 92 for a good LT

Draft another OLB, Draft a G, Draft a SS, Draft a G/C

Draft a Kicker, Sign a 2nd string QB in FA

They do that and we really will be looking up at the Bengals and Browns from the bottom of the division.

--- Added 1/16/2012 at 05:12 PM ---

trade gay and at least get someone for him.

He's an unrestrcited free agent.

coldrolled
01-16-2012, 06:27 PM
They do that and we really will be looking up at the Bengals and Browns from the bottom of the division.

--- Added 1/16/2012 at 05:12 PM ---

He's an unrestrcited free agent.

if we dont get a great LT ben will be looking up from the ground and we will be looking at 4th place. arians and a average LT we will be in trouble. Starks will be out till october..

Nolrog
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
if we dont get a great LT ben will be looking up from the ground and we will be looking at 4th place. arians and a average LT we will be in trouble. Starks will be out till october..

I don't disagree with that. However we can't gut the defense in the process. Trading Harrison or Woodly, when no viable back up is available makes the defense significantly worse.

We also have Gilbert who looked decent and Willie Colon who (hopefully) will be back healthy. Our biggest OL need is really guard, not tackle.

We have to draft well and use free agency smartly and not make knee jerk reactions to an offensive line that's been horrible for like the last 5 years.

coach
01-16-2012, 09:20 PM
We have lots of needs and player trades don't happen that often in the NFL. If we could pull off one trade, I'd say Gay and BA for a good trainer who can keep our starters healthy.

LatrobePA
01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Trade Wallace, keep gay!

KoffeeHobson
01-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I really think we need to find a good college punter. I witnessed that with Andy Lee booming kicks against us on MNF. Having a great defense and someone to pin the opposing defense in their own territory helps. Kapinos is good, but if we has someone elite. Our defense pin their ears ack and go after the QB. I think inside linebacker is a priority. Guard and a nose tackle also.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Cortez Allen could figure into the mix as well, I would hope and I think they will have an open competition at CB this training camp. A regular offseason now, minus the lockout, will help these guys get ready to fight it out for that spot. It's a good problem to have.

K Train
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Gay can't play safety. He can barely tackle

this is very wrong. troy can barley tackle, gay and ike are excellent tacklers...its something the steelers have always had stressed is good tackling corners.

gay can barely cover sometimes, but he can definitely tackle..

not sure how i feel about him at safety, id like lewis to get a shot at playing outside though anf curtis brown in the nickel with allen as the future safety, but theres not much room for gay in that equation

SteelDad
01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
this is very wrong. troy can barley tackle, gay and ike are excellent tacklers...its something the steelers have always had stressed is good tackling corners.

gay can barely cover sometimes, but he can definitely tackle..

not sure how i feel about him at safety, id like lewis to get a shot at playing outside though anf curtis brown in the nickel with allen as the future safety, but theres not much room for gay in that equation

Absolutely correct. You don't play CB for the Steelers unless you can tackle.

I can't see Gay playing safety. One thing I was very sad to see NOT in the game plans this season were blitzes by Gay off the edge. He does an excellent job of that and for whatever reason LeBeau completely stopped doing it.

coach
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Absolutely correct. You don't play CB for the Steelers unless you can tackle.

I can't see Gay playing safety. One thing I was very sad to see NOT in the game plans this season were blitzes by Gay off the edge. He does an excellent job of that and for whatever reason LeBeau completely stopped doing it.

I am not a Gay fan, but his best assett is blitzing. I see the back of his jersey way to often for a DB. Moving him to safety is not the answer imho. This years draft will be interesting because of the depth and our multiple needs. Can't wait to see things get rolling. Oh yeah, BA sucks.

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
At some point you need to start planning for the future..

SteelDad
01-17-2012, 01:30 PM
I am not a Gay fan, but his best assett is blitzing. I see the back of his jersey way to often for a DB. Moving him to safety is not the answer imho. This years draft will be interesting because of the depth and our multiple needs. Can't wait to see things get rolling. Oh yeah, BA sucks.

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not a Gay fan period, but I do admit the guy can come off the edge almost as well as his coach Carnell Lake once did.