PDA

View Full Version : Its REALLY REALLY OFFICIAL NOW, TOMLIN NEW COACH...Update 11:30 1/21, Now it is.

Troyisabeast_43
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
This article was just posted by Jay Glazer on foxsports.com 2 minutes ago and Glazer is usually right on the money much like he was with Whisenhunt.
Here is the link : http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6391772

House of Steel
01-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Yep, it is official. Well, Well, finally we can get the darn new era moving for the STEELERS. WELCOME TO BLITZBURGH, COACH TOMLIN!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

PITT23
01-21-2007, 06:54 PM
It sounds like what I believed in the first place but I wont be sure until they hold a conference to announce someone for sure.

AZ_Steeler
01-21-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm waiting until the press conference....

PITT23
01-21-2007, 06:57 PM

Probably the best policy :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 06:59 PM

Me too. ESPN said it before, so did SI , Im not believin anything until I see it on Steelers.com or a press conference.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 06:59 PM
This article was just posted by Jay Glazer on foxsports.com 2 minutes ago and Glazer is usually right on the money much like he was with Whisenhunt.
Here is the link : http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6391772

hell yeah, foxsports is the ****, and i like glazer a lot, that's why last night i got worried when he said it wasn't true, cause he is reliable......tomlin is gonna be the ****.............

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 07:01 PM
I'll reserve me :cursin: :banging: :chair: rant that I wanted Grimm till I see this for real.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 07:09 PM
I'll reserve me :cursin: :banging: :chair: rant that I wanted Grimm till I see this for real.

no no, let it out like me last night, and by 12 pages you'll feel all better like i did lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 07:17 PM
This just in from CBS sports not 2 minutes ago,

THERE IS NO OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT OR ANY CONTRACT AGREEMENT NOR WILL THERE BE ONE TODAY !! NOBODY HAS BEEN CONTACTED EITHER WAY ABOUT ANY COACHING OFFER FOR THE STEELERS !

They talked to a member on the Steelers media and they said all reports to date are FALSE!!

PITT23
01-21-2007, 07:17 PM
The old guy who used to be the Texans GM said he thinks it's Tomlin from the "insider" people who he knows.

House of Steel
01-21-2007, 07:19 PM
WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE???? GET ON THE POINT AND STATE THE DAMN TRUTH!!! :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:

Koopa
01-21-2007, 07:20 PM
lmao @ tg, doing everything in his power to keep ppl from believeing the truth, it's obvious it's gonna be tomlin, no need to hang on and change every thread title lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 07:21 PM
That was Casserly on CBS that said that he thinks it could be Tomlin but no official word has been made yet, nor has anyone been contacted about any offers.

BlitzburghRockCity
lmao @ tg, doing everything in his power to keep ppl from believeing the truth, it's obvious it's gonna be tomlin, no need to hang on and change every thread title lol

Hey Im just making sure we don't get our hopes up too much till it's official either way, because believe me when it officially is you'll see a thread go up from me shortly there after griping about why I don't want Tomlin and why I wanted Grimm, if indeed Tomlin gets the job.

Koopa
This just in from CBS sports not 2 minutes ago,

THERE IS NO OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT OR ANY CONTRACT AGREEMENT NOR WILL THERE BE ONE TODAY !! NOBODY HAS BEEN CONTACTED EITHER WAY ABOUT ANY COACHING OFFER FOR THE STEELERS !

They talked to a member on the Steelers media and they said all reports to date are FALSE!!

also, why should we believe pittsburgh media??? they suck ***, they are the ones that reported it was grimm........more reliable sorces say it's tomlin.......i'll beleive what ever jay glazer says over anyone........

Koopa
01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
this is 5 mins ago lol

The Steelers have finally informed Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin that they have in fact chosen him as their next head coach, FOXSports.com has learned.

The two sides have agreed to terms on a multi-year deal that is believed to be comparable to the four-year, $10 million deal Cam Cameron reached with the Miami Dolphins.

The Steelers are expected to officially announce Tomlin as their coach Monday.

Tomlin was originally scheduled to fly to Mobile, Alabama for this week's Senior Bowl but was asked by Pittsburgh brass to not get on the plane.

Calls to Tomlin have not been returned but sources close to the coach said he expects to be able to work out the terms of the contract with the Steelers by this evening.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6391772

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 07:30 PM
So why is Fox the only one reporting this then? If it's that official then it should be everywhere.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 07:32 PM
So why is Fox the only one reporting this then? If it's that official then it should be everywhere.

because jay glazer rules all, and is on the money lol, he was the first person to have a telephone conference last night with tomlin lol........

PITT23
01-21-2007, 07:34 PM
It makes sense what Fox is saying but I won't believe it until he's shaking hands on TV with the Rooneys.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Tomlin didnt have a telephone conference last night except to deny that he was offered the job or talked to the Rooney's.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
but it was with jay glazer lol.......i'm bored, i don't really believe any of it either, i'm just ****ing with you lol

DIESELMAN
01-21-2007, 07:37 PM
I JUST GOT THIS TOO

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin has been hired by the Pittsburgh Steelers to be their next head coach. The two sides have started negotiating on a contract. If a deal can get done, the team could announce his hiring Monday, Jan. 22. Tomlin was expected to fly to Alabama for this week's Senior Bowl, but the Steelers asked him to not get on the plane.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 07:39 PM
just went on espn, and they updated their article, this is what they added

ESPN.com's John Clayton reported Sunday night that the Steelers were in negotiations with Tomlin's agent. Steelers officials met this weekend to discuss the final three candidates -- Pittsburgh assistant head coach Russ Grimm, Tomlin and Bears coach Ron Rivera -- and ownership decided to make an offer to Tomlin, Clayton reported.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 07:40 PM
just saw this on post gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-100.stm

The Steelers have informed Mike Tomlin, the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator, that he will be their next head coach. The team plans a news conference to announce his hiring.

The sides were negotiating a contract tonight for four years and an option year. The Steelers made their decision today between Russ Grimm, their assistant head coach and offensive line coach, and Tomlin. They informed Grimm today that they had chosen Tomlin.

BB2W
This may be true, and I personally am torn between both coaches... but the media just needs to relax and wait until they hear something out of the mouth of someone with the last name of Rooney.

It does seem like it will be Tomlin though...

Koopa
they are showing it on fox right now too

Blitzburgh55
01-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I hope these reports are finally right

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Nope, still not believin it till I see a press conference or until it's on Steelers.com

Koopa
01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Nope, still not believin it till I see a press conference or until it's on Steelers.com

you still won't believe it, you say, i'm not believing it till i see him in september on the sideline lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 08:26 PM
And I'll still be bitching because I wanted Grimm ! :lol:

Koopa
01-21-2007, 08:27 PM

lol, i wonder how grimm feels if this is true, i wonder if he started crying lol.......he probably went straight to the frigde and started pigging out lol.......... now he has to book a flight to oakland........lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 08:30 PM
I will laugh my *** if I Grimm ends up getting this dude and you'll be bitching up a storm !

Steelerlyn
01-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Noone who is anyone has stated that we have a new HC. On nfl network they read a statement from the Rooneys, There will no announcement of a HC, the earliest may be on Monday, enjoy the championship games! I did not quote because I took it out of context and wrote it from memory. I took it to mean if the Bears lose they will interview Rivera on Monday. If the Bears win the Rooneys will wait until after the superbowl.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I will laugh my *** if I Grimm ends up getting this dude and you'll be bitching up a storm !

naw, i already did that, i don't care, it's obvious it's going to tomlin.......you should stop living in denial lol

SteelerDan43
01-21-2007, 08:32 PM
With the Bears winning and the senior bowl coming up Rivera's defense played him out of an opportunity to get a second interview

K Train
01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
well its announced all over, and they said tomlin agreed on a 4 year deal on the post game show, conference will probably be held monday...not official but i think the tomlin era has begun

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2007, 08:41 PM

Maybe out of house will work again.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Maybe out of house will work again.

not maybe, it will.............

LatrobePA
01-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Welcome Mike as our new head coach I was pulling for ya!!

Friday133
01-21-2007, 09:20 PM
The PG is reporting the Steelers are going to name Tomlin Head Coach.

Post Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-100.stm)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Well Top Gun is reporting that it's going to be Grimm...and Tomlin can go back to wearing purple !

Blitzburgh55
01-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Well Top Gun is reporting that it's going to be Grimm...and Tomlin can go back to wearing purple !

Grimm better get use to black and sliver:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 10:07 PM
If Grimm takes were to get interviewed and take the Raider job I'll give everybody in the Top 30, 5000 points !

SteelerNation
01-21-2007, 10:13 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-100.stm

GO TO THE SITE AND READ ASAP. AND TELL ME IF IM NOT TELLING THE TRUTH . HAHA I TOLD U ALL TOMLIN WAS IN AND HE IS

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
merging this with the other one...

DIESELMAN
01-21-2007, 10:39 PM
The circus is over -- unless Fox Sports is the third ring. But after conflicting reports dominated the Pittsburgh area this weekend, Jay Glazer, of Scout.com parent company Fox Sports, has the story.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Pittsburgh Steelers have finally informed Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin that they have in fact chosen him as their next head coach. Tomlin is slated to fly to Pittsburgh by tomorrow morning provided the two sides can work out a contract. The two sides began negotiating this afternoon and as long as a deal can get done, the Steelers should announce him as their coach Monday.
Tomlin was originally scheduled to fly to Mobile, Alabama for this week's Senior Bowl but was asked by Pittsburgh brass to not get on the plane.

Calls to Tomlin have not been returned but sources close to the coach said he expects Tomlin and the Steelers to have worked out a contract by Sunday night.
:crossfingers: :popcorn:

If Grimm takes were to get interviewed and take the Raider job I'll give everybody in the Top 30, 5000 points !
What about contributors?...lol....seriously hope Grimm stays as OC.

Ambridge
01-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Adam Schefter on The NFL Network is reporting it's Tomlin. That's a pretty solid source.

Wonder if it's a coincidence that on the day when two African American coaches won games that will take their teams to the Superbowl the Steelers hire an African American coach to fulfill the "Rooney Rule" they help pass??

Friday133
01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
All the local PGH TV stations are reporting Tomlin as well, source being the AP. Looks like he accepted a 4 year $10 Million deal. Press conference tomorrow.

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Not a bad deal at all. I am ready for the Tomlin Era.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Steelers make offer to Tomlin, contract expected Monday

Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin accepted the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching job Sunday night and was working out a four-year contract he hoped to complete Monday, people close to the search told The Associated Press.

They requested anonymity because the Steelers have asked all parties involved in the search to not speak to reporters until they can make the announcement, which could come Monday or Tuesday.

Tomlin is expected to make around $2.5 million per year, the going rate of late for first-time NFL coaching hires. Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher resigned Jan. 5 following 15 seasons after apparently rejecting a $6 million per year contract extension offer earlier this year.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_489654.html

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2007-01-21/0122tomlinfront-d.jpg

our head coach is looking sharp lol

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 12:17 AM
I am happy for him. I ready to move on and get ready for the new era of Steelers Football.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 12:18 AM
STFU Koopa !!! :banging: :cursin: :chair: :bsflag: :angrysoapbox: :postal: :evilshake: :bigfinger:

Grimm Grimm Grimm I want Grimm!

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:24 AM
STFU Koopa !!! :banging: :cursin: :chair: :bsflag: :angrysoapbox: :postal: :evilshake: :bigfinger:

Grimm Grimm Grimm I want Grimm!

lol, even your beloved nfl network is reporting it....just change the thread title already lol........and who is this koopa you speak of??????? lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Koopa? he's some lame *** punk who thinks he knows it all :lol:

Yeah yeah NFL network can bite me too now.

BB2W
01-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Let the "Iron Mike" era begin!!! :redcool:

DIESELMAN
01-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Let the "Iron Mike" era begin!!! :redcool:

Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!! :toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

DIESELMAN
01-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey Top!!!!

By The Associated Press
Sunday, January 21, 2007

Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin accepted the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching job Sunday night and was working out a four-year contract he hoped to complete Monday, people close to the search told The Associated Press.
They requested anonymity because the Steelers have asked all parties involved in the search to not speak to reporters until they can make the announcement, which could come Monday or Tuesday.
Tomlin is expected to make around $2.5 million per year, the going rate of late for first-time NFL coaching hires. Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher resigned Jan. 5 following 15 seasons after apparently rejecting a $6 million per year contract extension offer earlier this year.
Sorry bro...just tryin to help you out....lol

rainman
01-22-2007, 12:53 AM
When I see Rooney introduce our new coach at a press conference, then I will believe it. I'm tired of getting all excited over nothing.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 12:54 AM
When I see Rooney introduce our new coach at a press conference, then I will believe it. I'm tired of getting all excited over nothing.

it's official, don't let top gun make you think otherwise lol

DIESELMAN
01-22-2007, 12:55 AM

I hear ya bro....but actually this is kinda fun :toot:

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 12:56 AM
I am ready. I hate to say this Matt, but you need to get your *** used to this and get over it. IT IS TIME FOR THE MIKE TOMLIN ERA. I am pumped and ready.

PITT23
01-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Reasons to pick Tomlin:

Why Tomlin, you ask? I've asked myself that question, and here are a few possible reasons:

--Establish a completely new identity and shed any remnants of the shadow of Cowher. Hiring Grimm likely would have been more of the same kind of football, probably with many of the same players. Perhaps the Steelers felt, like many, that their roster underachieved in 2006 and needed a shakeup. Hiring an "outside" coach with completely different philosophies means a new chapter in the history of the franchise.

--The Rooney Rule. It's one thing to be the face of the rule and call out other teams for not hiring minorities. But when the primary proponent of the rule actually practices what he preaches, that certainly makes a bold statement.

--Age. Tomlin is just 34 years old. The NFL has become a young man's league. We've all heard the stories about how Jon Gruden wakes up at 3:17 AM after a 19-hour day. You need energy to coach in this league, and lots of it. How well is Joe Gibbs doing these days? How about Bill Parcells? Coincidence? I think not.

If you plan on hiring a guy who you would like to have around for 10-15 years (as the Steelers undoubtedly are hoping for), this is the age you shoot for. Think about it: Grimm is 47, Rivera is 45, Chan Gailey is 55. And how old was Bill Cowher when he was hired? 35.

--Appearance. Don't BS yourself. It matters in EVERYTHING, including the NFL. To coach in the NFL, you need a certain polish, you need to look good, and you need to sound good. Unless you're Bill Belichick. But I guess after you've won three Super Bowls you can pretty much make your own rules. Anyway, compare the two interview photos:

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070118bw_grimm1_230.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070118lf_MikeTomlin01_230.jpg

Which one makes the better appearance to you? The formal, suit-and-tie look, or the casual, guys-hanging-out look? Tomlin looks like he's making an effort to impress his potential new boss. Grimm dressed as though the process is a mere formality because he feels he has the inside track.

And before you brush off appearance as a non-factor, consider the fact that Charlie Weis went to the extent of having gastric bypass surgery in 2002 to lose weight. He'll say it was for health reasons, as I'm sure it was...but did you see him getting any major head coaching jobs before that drastic measure?

--When you're considering a job of this magnitude, everything is looked at under a microscope. Hence the six-hour second interview for a man who's been on staff since 2000.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 01:09 AM
here's another article that says mr a million times

and it's the latest article on the story

:woot: bringing some color to the sideline, i can't wait........

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755830-66.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Atleast we can get over the waiting now.

DIESELMAN
01-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Atleast we can get over the waiting now.

Yep.....heres to the Rooneys for being diligent and knowing what the **** they are doin.....heres to Tomlin who brings in a fresh face a new way of winning and heres to some more ASSKICKIN delivered by THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:toot:(I love that thing..lol)

Prosdo
01-22-2007, 04:15 AM
Congrats to Tomlin! Now let's get this team back on track!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 04:36 AM
The sky is falling the sky is falling Mike Tomlin was named HC.lol I understand why some are worried all I'm saying is lets just wait and see what happens.

I like the hire of Mike Tomlin and I think if he wants to win right away then he'll stick with the 3-4. Plus maybe if he does keep LeBeau that maybe the team of Tomlin/LeBeau can create some type of hybrid defense.

BBG7
01-22-2007, 08:11 AM
The sky is falling the sky is falling Mike Tomlin was named HC.lol I understand why some are worried all I'm saying is lets just wait and see what happens.

I like the hire of Mike Tomlin and I think if he wants to win right away then he'll stick with the 3-4. Plus maybe if he does keep LeBeau that maybe the team of Tomlin/LeBeau can create some type of hybrid defense.

I couldn't agree more. I don't see him coming in and changing everything. Being a head coach means you adjust to your talent on your team and right now we are set up for a 3-4 D, and they will have to draft some players to complete it. He knows about our winning traditioon and is not going to change everything. Actually the Vikes have so much respect for him that a reporter there wrote an article that they should have fired their HC and hired Tomlin before we did. He knows what he's doing and the Rooneys must feel very confident in his ability to carry on our tradition! I also like the idea of LeBeau and him creating an entirely new D. Since it's not Whiz and we lost our chance with him...I'm glad it's Tomlin!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! :tt02:

Friday133
01-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Steelers.com (http://news.steelers.com/article/73526/)

Press conference 3:30 today.

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the announcement, Friday. It should be live on KDKA.com.

PITT23
01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Steelers.com (http://news.steelers.com/article/73526/)

Press conference 3:30 today.

I'll be watching for sure :helmet:

AZ_Steeler
01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
yep, kdka will have the press conference http://kdka.com/

floodcitygirl
01-22-2007, 11:46 AM
3:30!.....shoot! I have to pick up the car pool! :cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Oh hell yeah I'll be watching !

BBG7
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
I will have my DVR recording and I will be watching!!!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-22-2007, 12:50 PM
And at the press conference it will be... " the STEELERS announce as their HC returning from a brief sabbatical WILLIAM LAIRD COWHER".....:banana:

BB2W
01-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I just heard on ESPN radio that "Dick LeBeau will be retained as defensive coordinator."

BBG7
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I just heard on ESPN radio that "Dick LeBeau will be retained as defensive coordinator."

see everyone....he's not going to come in and change everything. If this is true, this also says they will stay with the 3-4 that we love so much!!!

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I won't believe a damn thing those fools say anymore. **** THEM. I want to hear it from Tomlin himself before I believe anything.

BBG7
01-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree...but if it's true, it's good news. I really believe he is not stupid enough to let Dick go and change the D our players are set up for!

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 01:05 PM
How do we know that? I am waiting to hear this in the press conference.

PITT23
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
This ESPN column claims Dick will be retained.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2738834

BBG7
01-22-2007, 01:09 PM
He's alll about hard nose football and I think he will bring life to our team. He shoulod bring some different looks, but he knows that he is expected to win this next year, not go through a rebuilding year. He impressed the Rooney's and Kevin and they made this descision. I'm sure this was discussed in the interview process and whatever his awnser was, the Rooney's must have liked it and seem to have faith in him!!! Give the guy a chance!

BBG7
01-22-2007, 01:10 PM
This ESPN column claims Dick will be retained.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2738834

thanks for the link Pitt!

PITT23
01-22-2007, 01:10 PM
On ESPN Radio 1250 right now they're talking about how Tomlin is basically like Tony Dungy Jr.

BBG7
01-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I see this as a good thing. I wish people would just give him a chance!

Friday133
01-22-2007, 01:13 PM

Again, I agree.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM

Will yins lighten up already !! Give the man the job first, then ya can start bitchin... Do yins really think he is gonna come in and try to run a defense we don't have the players to run, get your head out your arses. I'll bet he is smart enough to take a look at who we have and slowly make adjustments.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
If he does retain Lebeau then things will go alot smoother in the transition and we can all be thankful for that. Assuming Mort is right, which he's been wrong enough alot of the time, then this is a good thing.

BB2W
01-22-2007, 01:38 PM
In an article I read from one of the Minnesota papers they said Tomlin would keep LeBeau and may want to go back to his origins as a wide receiver and be more involved in the offense.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
This is all what everybody in the media thinks he will want to do, so we'll have to wait and see what he says in the press conference..which you can bet your last dollar the question will be raised about keeping the coaching staff we have on board, and he'll give some politically correct answer so we still won't know for sure till we get an official announcement.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Top of course this is what the media thinks and this is what I think. Tomlin is smart enought to know the Steelers are built for the 3-4 and if he wants to win right away then he'll stick with the 3-4. No worries my friend everything is going to be alright. If he was going to change everything then I think he would have ditched LeBeau already which by all reports he is going to stay.

I like the idea of both Tomlin/LeBeau working together. I think their great/intelligent football minds will be able to put some new wrinkles in the Steelers defense and will make some hybrid defense.

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Two Very Intelligent defensive minds has got to have the other 31 NFL teams saying OH ****!!!!

BBG7
01-22-2007, 02:03 PM
I am excited about Tomlin and LeBeau working together too, so I do hope those reports are correct. Tomlin is expected to win and he knows that...he's not go to change everything and put us in a rebuilding phase

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I am excited about Tomlin and LeBeau working together too, so I do hope those reports are correct. Tomlin is expected to win and he knows that...he's not go to change everything and put us in a rebuilding phase

+1:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Top of course this is what the media thinks and this is what I think. Tomlin is smart enought to know the Steelers are built for the 3-4 and if he wants to win right away then he'll stick with the 3-4. No worries my friend everything is going to be alright. If he was going to change everything then I think he would have ditched LeBeau already which by all reports he is going to stay.

I like the idea of both Tomlin/LeBeau working together. I think their great/intelligent football minds will be able to put some new wrinkles in the Steelers defense and will make some hybrid defense.

If Tomlin and Lebeau can work together and thrive then we will be a great defense. I hope the reports are true that Lebeau will be staying on as well, which has been my main concern from the start because Tomlin is a Tampa2/Cover2 defensive coach and that's not us. My concern isn't so much with the offense because he has a similar mindset that Cowher did to run the ball first to set up the pass which is exactly what we are all about. I don't want to see Grimm leave so I hope he doesn't.

I know he knows our strengths on defense, that much is obvious to anyone but coaches who are brought up in 1 philosphy tend to stick with it which is my concern so we'll see how it goes. Im not opposed to mixing in some 43 looks, we've been doing that for years now to change the pace as long as we stick to our grass roots of the 34.

No matter what I bleed black n gold forever !

Prosdo
01-22-2007, 02:17 PM
I was listening to ESPN radio and I thought they brought up something interesting. They said maybe Tomlin could or might make a special 4-3 package for the defense where they use Kiesel as a tweener.

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I was listening to ESPN radio and I thought they brought up something interesting. They said maybe Tomlin could or might make a special 4-3 package for the defense where they use Kiesel as a tweener.

You know that isn't a bad idea. What about mixing 3-4 and 4-3 special packages together, you realize the hell we would cause for everyone? I am really warming up to this idea big time. I think we are on a verge of one of the most exciting eras in Steelers History.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Making a hybrid as 32 mentioned before to be used in situational circumstances would be a cool idea if they can pull it off...but make no mistake, Tomlin will make his mark on this team early in some fashion.

Prosdo
01-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I think the new head coach in Tomlin makes this years draft coming up 10 times more interesting.

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't mind hybird if it works wonders and I am sure LeBeau is going to be rubbing his hands together and getting a evil grin on what will become the greatest defensive team we've ever seen. I am excited already.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
:iagree: This upcoming draft is going to be VERY interesting ! This should make for some great tail gating at the draft with all the SA members that can come.

Remember though that Colbert is still with us and he makes the ultimate call in situations like this. Cowher had full control over virtually everything on the team because of his track record and longevity..I dont think Tomlin will be afforded that luxury right off the bat.

Prosdo
01-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Very true Matt. But his input should be interesting. I am also interested to see what staff he brings in and if anyone stays. I would like to see Arians, Perry, and LeBeau stay.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 02:32 PM
I want to see Mark Whipple stay on as well, he's been working with Ben his whole career with us and that's important to help ease the transition. Many of our players have never had any coach except cowher so that's going to be something to think about this training camp and 2007 season.

Friday133
01-22-2007, 02:33 PM
TG this is for you. I really agree with this guy. BTW its from the PG blog today.

"Who was Bill Cowher coming off the '91 season with the KC Chiefs? He was a little known defensive coordinator who got the job over another Steelers in-house candidate, Mean Joe Greene. How could the Steelers not hire Mean Joe? Four superbowl rings and tutelage from the great Chuck Noll. Oh the travesty of injustice, how could the Rooney's do this to us? Well Pittsburgh fans, how did Cowher work out? We may all be apprehensive to the possible changes that may be coming up the pipeline, but change is not a bad thing. When Cowher took over, he took a 7-9 team the previous year and turned it into an 11-5 playoff team the following year. We should not doubt the Rooney's given their track record for hiring coaches. They deserve much better than that. The point here is, give Mr. Tomlin a chance. He hasn't even had the press conference yet and already Pittsburgh fans are complaining. Here's to you Mr. Tomlin, our diamond in the rough." -- Eric Crile, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
If Tomlin and Lebeau can work together and thrive then we will be a great defense. I hope the reports are true that Lebeau will be staying on as well, which has been my main concern from the start because Tomlin is a Tampa2/Cover2 defensive coach and that's not us. My concern isn't so much with the offense because he has a similar mindset that Cowher did to run the ball first to set up the pass which is exactly what we are all about. I don't want to see Grimm leave so I hope he doesn't.

I know he knows our strengths on defense, that much is obvious to anyone but coaches who are brought up in 1 philosphy tend to stick with it which is my concern so we'll see how it goes. Im not opposed to mixing in some 43 looks, we've been doing that for years now to change the pace as long as we stick to our grass roots of the 34.

No matter what I bleed black n gold forever !

I know you bleed black N gold Top Gunn. I wouldn't question that. I understand the worries of a new coach that runs a 4-3. But I just think Tomlin will have alot of pressure on him to win. The best way for him to win right away is keeping the 3-4 intact and just add some new wrinkles to the defense.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
No doubt, the pressure will be tremendous especially coming off a sub par year that we had. Im sure he understands the pressure, but I don't think anyone can fully grasp the gravity of the situation until you're actually in it and getting your hands dirty and then it will hit him. How he handles it will be key.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 02:53 PM
No doubt, the pressure will be tremendous especially coming off a sub par year that we had. Im sure he understands the pressure, but I don't think anyone can fully grasp the gravity of the situation until you're actually in it and getting your hands dirty and then it will hit him. How he handles it will be key.

I totally agree how Tomlin handles the pressure will be key. But from everything I have read about him I have liked what I read.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 03:16 PM
And believe me, and do not mistake my thread as me not wanting him to succeed. I want him to come in a kick *** and put us back in the SB in 2007. Im just not getting my hopes up till we see how things go in the offseason and with the draft.

AZ_Steeler
01-22-2007, 03:24 PM
"Chuckie" took his team (Tampa Bay) to the Super Bowl in his first year! It can be done and Tomlin is going to have all the pieces to do it!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 03:25 PM
"Chuckie" took his team (Tampa Bay) to the Super Bowl in his first year! It can be done and Tomlin is going to have all the pieces to do it!

Good poing AZ. Hell it can be done. I'm excited bro and I can't wait for training camp.:tt02: