PDA

View Full Version : We need a real back-up QB

Real Deal Steel
01-13-2012, 05:48 PM
It cost us big time this year. We need a real back-up QB that can win a game for us. We shouldn't of had to have to run Ben out there as hobbled as he was. That was a testiment to how bad our back-up QB situation really is. Possibly the worse in the NFL.
Batch is nothing, Leftwhich is nothing and Dixon doesn't want to be here.

Where can we get a real back-up QB that can win a game for us when we need it? I'd even be willing to give the Dolphins a late round pick for Matt Moore after they secure their franchise QB.

But managment's lackadasical attitude toward the position the last two years came and cost us a division title this year.

We need a real solution. It's going to shorten Ben's career to keep running him out there when he obviously can't play. :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Well they signed former Arena League QB Jerrod Johnson today :D

The backup QB has been sort of the status quo for the Steelers for years. I'm sure they were hoping that one day Dennis Dixon would evolve into that, but that isn't happening. He'll be gone this offseason more than likely.

One option the team does have is to let Leftwich and Dixon both go, make Batch the #2 guy and draft a QB mid round to try and start grooming. Fortunately they don't have to think about it hard core much yet as Ben just finished his 8th season and still has years left before he'll retire.

Batch, to his credit, has done well when called upon. He's not going to make the big mistake and knows the offense as good as anyone.

steelersbabex25
01-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Leftwich is as real of a backup as it gets.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Batch?

JensK
01-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Just keep Leftwich around at a minimum. I would really doubt that he is going to end anywhere with his injury. He gets to sit at heal up in a solid organization. I think its the ideal situation for him and the Steelers.

coldrolled
01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Well they signed former Arena League QB Jerrod Johnson today :D.

Arians should be on the same page as the arena league.

Steelersfan
01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't know why so many hate on Batch. He has been a solid back up for many years now. Does everyone think the back up should be Tom Brady sitting on the bench? There's a reason they are back ups to begin with!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Real Deal Steel
01-13-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't know why so many hate on Batch. He has been a solid back up for many years now. Does everyone think the back up should be Tom Brady sitting on the bench? There's a reason they are back ups to begin with!

And there's a reason the coaches had no confidence in him in San Francisco too. Nuff said.

Steelersfan
01-13-2012, 08:48 PM
And there's a reason the coaches had no confidence in him in San Francisco too. Nuff said.

Nuff said? Really? If your starting QB can play you go with him everytime. The steelers will be $20 million over the cap so I don't know how you think them , or any other team for that matter, can afford to have starter quality as a backup. But keep dreaming.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Don't have a problem with Batch except he is old and I'm afraid of the wind blows to hard he might get hurt....lol

LatrobePA
01-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Problem is with the pussy coach not QB! Tomlin's afraid to make Benny wenny mad!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Batch has indeed done well but he's not going to last forever. Sooner or later they are going to have to find a replacement for him. So far though when called upon he's done fine. Honestly the coaches don't give him enough credit to put him in games. Maybe he doesn't win the 49ers game but you never know.

Steelersfan
01-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Batch has indeed done well but he's not going to last forever. Sooner or later they are going to have to find a replacement for him. So far though when called upon he's done fine. Honestly the coaches don't give him enough credit to put him in games. Maybe he doesn't win the 49ers game but you never know.

Im guessing that is why they will keep lefty if healthy. Similar to Batch. A vet that has started and won some games.

connecticutsteel
01-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Well they signed former Arena League QB Jerrod Johnson today :D

The backup QB has been sort of the status quo for the Steelers for years. I'm sure they were hoping that one day Dennis Dixon would evolve into that, but that isn't happening. He'll be gone this offseason more than likely.

One option the team does have is to let Leftwich and Dixon both go, make Batch the #2 guy and draft a QB mid round to try and start grooming. Fortunately they don't have to think about it hard core much yet as Ben just finished his 8th season and still has years left before he'll retire.

Batch, to his credit, has done well when called upon. He's not going to make the big mistake and knows the offense as good as anyone.

Red flag #1 FORMER ARENA LEAGUE

DIESELMAN
01-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Red flag #1 FORMER ARENA LEAGUE

So was Kurt Warner.....

jnes1216
01-15-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't have a real problem with the back up QB's whether it be Lefty or Batch or Dixon. The problem is that the coaching staff did not have the confidence to put in those guys when our starter really needed the recovery time. That exhibits a lack of preparation by coaches or players and complacency by the coaches. Why the San Fran and Clev. game when a playoff spot was secure? I know hindsight, etc, etc. But two weeks off for Ben and Maurkice would have been very beneficial. Hopefully they learn from that. I don't think the problem lies in the back up players skill but with the coaching staff's lack of foresight.

NYCsteelersfan
01-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Problem is with the pussy coach not QB! Tomlin's afraid to make Benny wenny mad!

I almost feel like you want to blame Roethlisberger for Tomlin's poor coaching. Roethlisberger has publicly said that he likes Arians, but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and we will never know. Is it possible that Roethlisberger privately campaigns for Arians? Sure. Is it also possible that Roethlisberger doesn't say anything privately and leaves Tomlin to make his own decisions? Sure.

Ownership let him take a 4 game suspension when he hadn't even been charged with a crime. Any other owner of any big market team would've never let that suspension go down. What's the point? The point is that I doubt Roethlisberger has any real clout behind the scenes.

jnes1216
01-15-2012, 12:43 AM
I almost feel like you want to blame Roethlisberger for Tomlin's poor coaching. Roethlisberger has publicly said that he likes Arians, but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and we will never know. Is it possible that Roethlisberger privately campaigns for Arians? Sure. Is it also possible that Roethlisberger doesn't say anything privately and leaves Tomlin to make his own decisions? Sure.

Ownership let him take a 4 game suspension when he hadn't even been charged with a crime. Any other owner of any big market team would've never let that suspension go down. What's the point? The point is that I doubt Roethlisberger has any real clout behind the scenes.

He's got clout imo. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen him come in after sustaining the injury in the Cleveland game. He was like Capt Ahab coming out of the tunnel with one leg:lol: I just think they are being swayed by the Big Ben myth and the "I'm not coming out" attitude of Ben.

As for the suspension, it was Ben's second allegation on misconduct, I think the FO wanted no part in trying to defend that. I can only guess, their mentality was let him take his lumps and sort it out himself. Next season he gets married and we can only hope stabilizes his personal life.

A total mishandling of Ben this year which was a combination of Ben's bravado, the coaching staff's lack of "team thinking", and the front office's refusal to step in.

NYCsteelersfan
01-15-2012, 12:57 AM
He's got clout imo. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen him come in after sustaining the injury in the Cleveland game. He was like Capt Ahab coming out of the tunnel with one leg:lol: I just think they are being swayed by the Big Ben myth and the "I'm not coming out" attitude of Ben.

I think that was more of a tough player not wanting to be called a chump like the media and fans called out Cutler for. The head coach took the tough guy attitude of his player and ran with it because he knew there was no way that he would win with Batch.

As for the suspension, it was Ben's second allegation on misconduct, I think the FO wanted no part in trying to defend that.

Star quarterback, top 5, and $100 million contract. He wasn't charged. If allegations are all that is necessary, then teams could pay people to make public allegations of players on opposing teams just to get them suspended.

Let Goodell and the league have tried that nonsense with Eli and the Giants, Romo and the Cowboys, Sanchez and the Jets, Rivers and San Diego, Cutler and the Bears, and other teams, and you would've seen what would've happened.

That suspension went down because Steelers front office agreed to it. If they agreed to it, then they must not care too much about what Roethlisberger wants.

jnes1216
01-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Allegations need some complaints filed to be investigated further otherwise it would be defamation or liable or some other legal b.s. that would be brought forth against the false accusers. If I'm reading your post right I don't think other teams would jeopardize that to just get at other team's star players.

--- Added 1/14/2012 at 11:14 PM ---

I think that was more of a tough player not wanting to be called a chump like the media and fans called out Cutler for. The head coach took the tough guy attitude of his player and ran with it because he knew there was no way that he would win with Batch.

Star quarterback, top 5, and $100 million contract. He wasn't charged. If allegations are all that is necessary, then teams could pay people to make public allegations of players on opposing teams just to get them suspended.

Let Goodell and the league have tried that nonsense with Eli and the Giants, Romo and the Cowboys, Sanchez and the Jets, Rivers and San Diego, Cutler and the Bears, and other teams, and you would've seen what would've happened.

That suspension went down because Steelers front office agreed to it. If they agreed to it, then they must not care too much about what Roethlisberger wants.

I think Batch could have pulled out the victory.

NYCsteelersfan
01-15-2012, 01:23 AM
Allegations need some complaints filed to be investigated further otherwise it would be defamation or liable or some other legal b.s. that would be brought forth against the false accusers. If I'm reading your post right I don't think other teams would jeopardize that to just get at other team's star players.

You're right, teams probably wouldn't risk it, but it's possible. In order to prove defamation of character, you would have to prove the allegation/s are a lie. That is sometimes impossible to do unless the person making the allegations admits to lying.

I'm 200% positive that that suspension wouldn't have gone down if the Moral Rooneys didn't agree to it. And I'm 300% positive that the owners of the teams I mentioned, along with others, would've never agreed to the suspension.

jnes1216
01-15-2012, 01:38 AM
I am 201% sure that the Rooneys were tired of Bens allegations and their moral fortitude was to let the legal process take its course and they would decide from there. They were prob. caught between not knowing and releasing a franchise QB and not knowing and keeping their franchise QB. Maybe their acceptance of the four game suspension WAS an acceptance of confidence in the back up QBs. Although it wasn't carried over to this year is a mystery.

I am 301% sure that the other QBs mentioned did not have previous sexual misconduct allegations. They just marry super models and the like:lol::lol:bastards

NYCsteelersfan
01-15-2012, 01:46 AM
I am 301% sure that the other QBs mentioned did not have previous sexual misconduct allegations. They just marry super models and the like:lol::lol:bastards

It doesn't matter if there were 5 allegations, Brady, Mannings, Rivers, Romo, McNabb (when he was on Philadelphia), Palmer (on Cincinnati or the Raiders), Rodgers, Brees, and Sanchez would've never been suspended because the owners of their teams wouldn't have allowed it. They would've called Goodell, threatened legal action and a public relations blitz, and the league wouldn't have wanted to risk the situation being turned on them.

jnes1216
01-15-2012, 02:00 AM
It doesn't matter if there were 5 allegations, Brady, Mannings, Rivers, Romo, McNabb (when he was on Philadelphia), Palmer (on Cincinnati or the Raiders), Rodgers, Brees, and Sanchez would've never been suspended because the owners of their teams wouldn't have allowed it. They would've called Goodell, threatened legal action and a public relations blitz, and the league wouldn't have wanted to risk the situation being turned on them.

Those are big market media teams so I can see your point. But you just mentioned 8 of the glory boys of the nfl with no previous negative media interactions. I can see their owners defending them, but I can also see the Rooneys not defending Big Ben to the NFL (and in direct part to the media due to todays extensive coverage of the nfl) because of his previous allegations. If it was Ben's first ripple, I would whole-heartedly agree. Ben has a "checkered" past whether it is warranted or not. FO got rid of super bowl mvp Holmes and all pro faneca due to contract issues and off field reasons. They stood by ben but at a price.....letting the 4-game suspension go thru.

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't have a real problem with the back up QB's whether it be Lefty or Batch or Dixon. The problem is that the coaching staff did not have the confidence to put in those guys when our starter really needed the recovery time. That exhibits a lack of preparation by coaches or players and complacency by the coaches. Why the San Fran and Clev. game when a playoff spot was secure? I know hindsight, etc, etc. But two weeks off for Ben and Maurkice would have been very beneficial. Hopefully they learn from that. I don't think the problem lies in the back up players skill but with the coaching staff's lack of foresight.

Exactly. We don't need starter quality but we need a guy who gets the ball out of his hands into the play makers hands. That's not asking to much. Even for a team
over the cap.

CowherPower
01-17-2012, 02:37 PM
The Steelers have been fortunate over the years to have Charlie Batch on the roster. In light of all the injuries that Leftwich has suffered, Batch has been able to stay healthy for the most part. Granted not playing much will do that for ya, haha. I would say within the next couple of years you need to start grooming the QB of the future for the Steelers. That will be no small task considering our team is usually drafting late.

OldSchool58
01-17-2012, 04:28 PM
As long as Arians is calling the plays on offense, who the hell would want the back up QB job? The man is gonna get someone killed with his stupidity.

LatrobePA
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
As long as Arians is calling the plays on offense, who the hell would want the back up QB job? The man is gonna get someone killed with his stupidity.

I like the way you think!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
The more I think about this situation, the more I think the Steelers may just cut ties with both Leftwich and Dixon, make Batch the primary backup and see what they can find in the draft in the later rounds as a 3rd option. I would like to see Lefty stick around and be the main backup but the dude just can't stay healthy. The one thing that always drove me nuts with Byron is that long throwing motion. By the time he gets the ball out of his hands the defense is on top of him.

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Okay.........we finally got a capable Backup QB! They must have read my thread!