PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: The Steelers were downright astonishingly and historically stupid.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
By Tony Massarotti, Globe columnist

The legend of Tim Tebow grows, only fueled by the happenings on Sunday in the Mile High City. But in his private moments this week, Patriots coach Bill Belichick is likely scoffing at what the Pittsburgh Steelers did to themselves, too. It seems impossible to think Belichick will make the same mistake.

The NFL being the NFL, there is still the chance the Broncos will stun the Patriots and the football world on Saturday night by upsetting the Patriots at Gillette Stadium. But it is not likely. If the Broncos do somehow manage to pull off the seemingly impossible - the Patriots are overwhelming favorites - they will likely have to do it in far different fashion than the manner in which they beat the Steelers, at least on the offensive side of the ball.
Belichick, after all, is not likely to leave a makeshift New England secondary in 1-on-1 coverage the way the Steelers did, even if he refuses to say so.

"You know, each team plays their own defensive scheme against them, whether it’s Buffalo or Kansas City or Pittsburgh or whoever it is," Belichick told reporters yesterday when asked if Pittsburgh's defensive approach against the Broncos was at all revealing. "We have our scheme. We’ll take some things from each game that we’ve seen and try to apply it to what we do. We’re not them, they’re not us, we have different players - same thing with Kansas City, Buffalo and all that. There’s certainly a lot to be learned but at the same time, we have our own matchups and we’re different from everybody else." Translation: We're not going to play it the way the Steelers did, but we wouldn't have done that anyway ... Oh, and the Steelers were dumb.
Check that.
The Steelers were downright astonishingly and historically stupid.

Professional football is obviously a detailed, complex game, but even in the most simplistic terms, what the Steelers did against the Broncos Sunday made no sense and reeked of arrogance. Against an inaccurate and inconsistent quarterback who sometimes looks as if he's playing pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey, the Steelers left themselves vulnerable to the big play. Rather than make Tebow surgically maneuver his way down the field - something he has not proven he can do - the Steelers allowed Tebow to play a risk-reward game that Tebow exploited to the max.

Think about it: Tebow completed fewer than 50 percent of his passes - 47.6 percent, to be precise - but still threw for 316 yards while averaging 31.6 yards per completion. In basketball parlance, the Steelers packed the paint against someone whose only chance was to hit 3-pointers, which Tebow did.

Dumb.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

As we all know, statistics can be deceiving and are easily manipulated in any argument, but they're worth discussing here. For example, on all throws that traveled more than 40 yards in the air this season, the overall completion percentage in the NFL was 23.3 percent. On 257 attempts - an average of just eight per team, or one every two games - quarterbacks threw 23 touchdowns and 25 interceptions for an overall rating of 69.4. The bottom line is that the deep ball is generally an absurdly low-percentage and inefficient throw, even for someone like Tom Brady, who was 1 for 8 on such attempts.

The only team that was better than 50 percent on long throws during the regular season? The Cleveland Browns, who went 1 for 1.
Before Sunday, during his time as a starter, Tebow was 0 for 5 on throws of more than 40 yards. Most everybody(end) has a poor percentage on the long throws, which is why they are rarely attempted. Nonetheless, Tebow went 1 for 1 on such attempts Sunday, completing a 51-yard strike to Demaryius Thomas early in the second quarter (with the Steelers holding a 6-0 edge) because the Steelers left Ike Taylor isolated against Thomas on the left sideline.

Even then, Denver still had the ball on only the Pittsburgh 31-yard line. The Steelers could have stiffened and held the Broncos to a field goal. Instead, the Steelers went right back to the same defense, allowing a 30-yard strike from Tebow to Eddie Royal (in man coverage) two plays later, giving Denver a 7-6 lead.

After that, the Steelers kept making the same mistake over and over again, particularly on the intermediate routes where only the great quarterbacks make their money. In the process, they turned Tebow from a mediocre quarterback (at best) to a world-beater.
For what it's worth, here are Tebow's passer ratings on throws of different lengths both for his time as a starter and Sunday's win over the Steelers:

Season Sunday 1-10 yards 68.7 28.6 11-20 yards 74.5 129.5 21-30 yards 84.1 156.3 31-40 yards 78.9 39.6

Staggering, right? On throws from 11-30 yards against the Steelers on Sunday, Tebow performed (at least statistically) like Peyton Manning. So was that because Tebow learned to read defenses and developed uncanny accuracy between Week 17 and the playoffs? Or was it because the Steelers played illogically aggressive defense that left their corners on an island (especially Taylor) and allowed Denver receivers to run wild after the catch?
Go back and look at Tebow's 80-yard, game-winning throw to Thomas in overtime. The line of scrimmage is the Denver 20-yard line. Thomas catches the ball at about the 38- or 39-yard line. By leaving Taylor in 1-on-1 coverage - with no help in the middle of the field - all Tebow had to do was complete an 18- or 19-yard pass (against man coverage) to get an 80-yard touchdown. Had the Steelers just played zone, they likely would have given up an incompletion - or maybe a 5-yard run.

During the regular season, after all, Tebow's overall completion percentage of 46.5 ranked 34th among 34 qualifying NFL quarterbacks. Nice move, Mike Tomlin. You too, Dick LeBeau. Instead of letting Tebow fire the ball into the ground (or at your defenders) by playing a more crowded zone - particularly in an age when man-to-man defense is becoming virtually impossible - you opted to reward him with big gains for easier throws.
Knuckleheads.

Say this for Belichick: seemingly settled on playing a more aggressive, attacking defense this season that was intent on getting after the quarterback and relying on the coverage skills of Devin McCourty, he scrapped the plan early. Belichick decided right then and there that his defensive backs couldn't cover. The Patriots may not win a championship this year because their defense remains suspect against above-average quarterback play, but they also weren't going to win 13 games during the regular season with McCourty repeatedly getting beaten over the top.

So Belichick went to Plan B, in which he asked the Patriots to sit back against a succession of second-rate quarterbacks from Tyler Palko, Vince Young and Dan Orlovsky to Rex Grossman, Matt Moore and, yes, Tebow.

Which is why Belichick will do the same thing Saturday night, sacrificing the run and challenging Tebow to keep up with Brady by staying on the ground.
Even with a hobbled Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback, that is something the Steelers should have been able to figure out.

link: http://www.boston.com/sports/columni...istake_st.html (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2012/01/belichick_wont_make_mistake_st.html)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
You hate to see any publication rip the Steelers but the fact is the piece is pretty spot on in most respects.

I would say that while the defensive gameplan wasn't the best, the lack of healthy bodies trying to get a pass rush did hinder them. That's a given.

The way they played Tebow, just daring him to throw all day long was good in theory, to a point, but it should have gone by the way said in the 2nd quarter when he started lighting them up.

LatrobePA
01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
I agree 10000% our D kept giving them the coverage they wanted and we kept getting torched, that's on the coaches... STUPID!!

Raleigh Steel
01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
in other words, lebeau pulled an arians.

but yeah, the steelers could have copied what the chiefs did the week before but they didn't. they started to make adjustments in the 2nd half, but went right back to it for the only play in OT.

injuries played a part for sure, but when you want to get pressure and you can't due to said injuries you change what your doing to put the back-ups in a better position. the difference between the 1st half and 2nd half were astonishing...why go back to what wasn't working???? lebeau pulled an arians. pound the square peg in the round hole! if it doesn't fit, just keep hitting it! it will eventually work...right?

MattyVfromCT
01-13-2012, 10:07 AM
You hate to see any publication rip the Steelers but the fact is the piece is pretty spot on in most respects.

ESPECIALLY the boston globe or any other boston/new england publication. One decade of success and they think they are the be all, end all experts on football. But yes, our scheme was incredibly stupid. After the second time ike was burned long it was time to change up the gameplan and we didn't smfh.......

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
01-13-2012, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=Raleigh Steel;474860]in other words, lebeau pulled an arians.QUOTE]

Yeppers!

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
All of this hate. Being a Steelers fan, "It comes with the territory". Embarrassed yes, ashamed no. Don't really want to see this but, if T... beat golden boy. There would be mass suicide in NE. So, Boston Globe I'd be pretty damn careful with your hate on anyone right now.

connecticutsteel
01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't think it is the cut and dried . I mean seriously who knew Ike Taylor would stink up the joint. Had he played even a little better we would be in Eletric Bradyland this week

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
in other words, lebeau pulled an arians.

but yeah, the steelers could have copied what the chiefs did the week before but they didn't. they started to make adjustments in the 2nd half, but went right back to it for the only play in OT.

injuries played a part for sure, but when you want to get pressure and you can't due to said injuries you change what your doing to put the back-ups in a better position. the difference between the 1st half and 2nd half were astonishing...why go back to what wasn't working???? lebeau pulled an arians. pound the square peg in the round hole! if it doesn't fit, just keep hitting it! it will eventually work...right?

Never thought I'd see the day man, Lebeau pulling an Arians. I just keep thinking back, man if they would have adjusted on defense in the 2nd half, how much differently things could have been. That's the age old problem with this team, they don't make adjustments on the fly or at halftime to compensate for gameplans that aren't working.

LatrobePA
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't think it is the cut and dried . I mean seriously who knew Ike Taylor would stink up the joint. Had he played even a little better we would be in Eletric Bradyland this week

It wasn't just Ike, when we pulled the safeties in Ike had no over the top help. This is the coverage they kept getting and what they wanted...

Why did we keep doing it is what is making us the center of the joke!

coldrolled
01-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I am still in conspiracy mode.

Tebow explodes onto the scene, nfl sells millions with a tebow win.

The whole NFL merchandise market and late night shows are pumping the NFL and crazy Tebow skits and stories on the national news.

The Steelers were limping into the playoffs. Belechick says he cant figure why we changed our game plan... ???? Calls us dumb.. Lots of holding calls not called against the broncs, the steelers playing like they couldnt win the next week anyway.

I say we sold out to the league for the good of the NFL.

LatrobePA
01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I am still in conspiracy mode.

Tebow explodes onto the scene, nfl sells millions with a tebow win.

The whole NFL merchandise market and late night shows are pumping the NFL and crazy Tebow skits and stories on the national news.

The Steelers were limping into the playoffs. Belechick says he cant figure why we changed our game plan... ???? Calls us dumb.. Lots of holding calls not called against the broncs, the steelers playing like they couldnt win the next week anyway.

I say we sold out to the league for the good of the NFL.

WOW, you need help brother! lol

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
The article makes a point of saying how difficult it is to make the long throws in the NFL. It also says that teabag wasn't that good at it during the season. SO why wouldn't you try and make him make those throws?? Losing Keisel and Hampton surely ,a sub par Woodley and no Clark had a huge effect on the defense !!
Come on we all saw it there was no pass rush all day,I think i saw teabag scramble 1 maybe 2 times. He had all day to throw and even subpar qb given 4-5 seconds will complete the pass.

OldSchool58
01-13-2012, 12:41 PM
And........................there would have been no need for overtime HAD OUR OFFENSE SCORED MORE POINTS. I've screamed at BA all season telling him what plays to run, but does he listen to me? Nooooo..............

Real Deal Steel
01-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree 10000% our D kept giving them the coverage they wanted and we kept getting torched, that's on the coaches... STUPID!!

Labeau was counting on a pass rush that hasn't been there all year. Which makes me think it may be time for him to go.

You had three teams that showed you how to defend Tebum and Labeau choose to ignore those game plans and come up with his own.

Between Arians and Labeau we need a serious coordinators upgrade. And coordinators who have a plan "B" when plan "A" doesn't work.

Raleigh Steel
01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Never thought I'd see the day man, Lebeau pulling an Arians. I just keep thinking back, man if they would have adjusted on defense in the 2nd half, how much differently things could have been. That's the age old problem with this team, they don't make adjustments on the fly or at halftime to compensate for gameplans that aren't working.

to answer that question you have to ask mike tomlin. it's as if he doesn't want to step on toes.

hey bruce: if i see you call another wr screen i'm gonna shove my foot up your @$$...stop calling it!
hey dick: 10 in the box is getting us torched...stop calling it!

sadly, he doesn't do this. he's as guilty as the other 2...maybe that's why he won't make a change.

not that i'm advocating getting rid of mike, or dick...(i am DEMANDING they get rid of bruce) but tomlin needs to start acting like a head coach and not a middle manager trying to keep everyone "happy".

i like tomlin, and i've always defended him, but now he needs to show me something. he needs to show me his testicular fortitude. he needs to show me is inner manhood (figuratively speaking you perverts :lol:) but i will not be an apologist for him anymore!

the window is slamming shut if we don't change course and real soon!

LatrobePA
01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Labeau stupid was counting on a pass rush that hasn't been there all year. Which makes me think it may be time for him to go.

You had three teams that showed you how to defend Tebum and Labeau choose to ignore those game plans and come up with his own.

Between Arians and Labeau we need a serious coordinators upgrade. And coordinators who have a plan "B" when plan "A" doesn't work.

You nailed it!

HUNT4SEVEN
01-13-2012, 04:17 PM
"We have our scheme. We’ll take some things from each game that we’ve seen and try to apply it to what we do. We’re not them, they’re not us, we have different players - same thing with Kansas City, Buffalo and all that. There’s certainly a lot to be learned but at the same time, we have our own matchups and we’re different from everybody else." Translation: We're not going to play it the way the Steelers did, but we wouldn't have done that anyway ... Oh, and the Steelers were dumb.
Check that.
The Steelers were downright astonishingly and historically stupid. This is why we need a new DC and a new OC, if u a so called defensive guru u take what was effective from other teams and mix it in with what u do.

I agree 10000% our D kept giving them the coverage they wanted and we kept getting torched, that's on the coaches... STUPID!! It was STUPID.

And until we change the schemes we will have more of the same fuc^ery we witness this past season:cursin::cursin::cursin:

Real Deal Steel
01-13-2012, 05:42 PM
But we have an old DC who is stuck in his ways. That's my whole point. The game is changing and this organazation hasn't adapted yet. They still think they can get by with average talent at the CB position. They still think that zone is the end all/be all defense ALL THE TIME!

Yet..to be old in some ways (on defense) yet on offense, they don't commit to fixing the O-line like the old organzation used to do, they have a half way runningback in Mendenhall who couldn't make the team at RB in the 80's, .....

There just needs to be change and a refocus to what works in football in the new millinium.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2012, 06:11 PM
The game plan going into the game was the right one against Tebow however after Tebow hit a couple deep passes it was time for the old man to go to more zone coverage which he didn't......LeBeau has forgotten more football then I will ever know but this my point all along he is one stubborn old man....lol I want him gone as much as BA.....But both will remain......

Real Deal Steel
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
That's my point too. There is too much stubborness in Labeau for a game that is changing because of the rule changes in the last 5-6 years.

Labeau refuses to have a plan "B" when his plan "A" isn't working. And I'm tired of it. He even refuses to admit that as of now, we don't have a real pass rush.

Three Four
01-13-2012, 06:50 PM
I'd like to know where the corner blitzes were. This is how you contain a mobile quarterback.

LevonKirkland99
01-14-2012, 12:54 AM
All of this hate. Being a Steelers fan, "It comes with the territory". Embarrassed yes, ashamed no. Don't really want to see this but, if T... beat golden boy. There would be mass suicide in NE. So, Boston Globe I'd be pretty damn careful with your hate on anyone right now.

Rest assured, Tebow is not gonna beat Brady this Saturday... Breat writting Blitzburgh as always, learned so much about the game just by reading your informative posts.

If the Steelers dared Tebow to throw ( which he did), why didn't they force him to run or get the small yardage? Was LeBeau defensive scheme that dumb and transparent? just confused about this .

Aghh, a part of me thinks LeBeau is just too old and teams have figured him out!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-14-2012, 02:05 AM
As much as I can't stand Bill Belichick, he's rarely gets out coached. His gameplanning ability is among the best in the history of the NFL. If you have a weakness, he'll exploit it. The only problem with the Pats this year is that their defense is so bad there's only so much you can cover up.

Raleigh Steel
01-14-2012, 07:42 AM
compared to the patriots...if our defense was as bad as the pats D, and with the same O that we have now...what would our record be? i'm guessing 4-12.

LevonKirkland99
01-14-2012, 09:31 AM
compared to the patriots...if our defense was as bad as the pats D, and with the same O that we have now...what would our record be? i'm guessing 4-12.

Exactly, even with my limited knowledge of Xs and 0s, I knew our coaches failed miserably this year.

pimplydan
01-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Defensive gameplan plan was terrible , it was OK to play seven in the box and dare Tibow some of the time , but to care on in OT after he burned us in regular time was stupid .
Hate to hear it from Belicheck but dam he is right .

See you all next year , I feal sick .

LevonKirkland99
01-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Defensive gameplan plan was terrible , it was OK to play seven in the box and dare Tibow some of the time , but to care on in OT after he burned us in regular time was stupid .
Hate to hear it from Belicheck but dam he is right .

See you all next year , I feal sick .

It is mind boggling that LeBeau didn't figured it out even in OT. Doing te same thins that didn't work in four quarters?

I am sick too man and can't believe LeBeau got out-coached like that. maybe LeBeau is OLD and needs to retire.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2012, 01:58 AM
I would love to pick his brain and find out why he didn't adjust the defense accordingly. We saw him drop players back only intermittently in that game in the 2nd half. I know he has faith in his secondary but if they are having an off night you need to compensate and get them more help.

I read this article again and as much as it sucks to hear it, a good bit of it is really true.

SteelDad
01-16-2012, 09:53 AM
One of the really key words in that article was 'arrogant.' I felt the same way on many occasions during that game. We had everyone in the box and I don't care how inaccurate a passer you are, if you're in the NFL you're going to make some plays and Tebow did because of our arrogance.

Leaving the middle of the field open in OT?!?!?!? Exhibit A.