PDA

View Full Version : The Trib says Grimm is in! ??? ; Steelers.com says no official word yet !

Stairwayto7
01-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Steelers pick Grimm, source says

Steelers say coaching search not completed

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 21, 2007

Russ Grimm has been offered and has accepted the Steelers' head coaching position, a source in Pittsburgh confirmed late Saturday.
Grimm, 47, succeeds Bill Cowher, who coached the Steelers for 15 seasons before resigning Jan. 5. The hiring of Grimm will be announced Monday at a news conference.

ESPN and SI.com, Sports Illustrated's Web site, reported yesterday that Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had been chosen to replace Cowher.

An NFL source confirmed yesterday that Tomlin had not heard from the Steelers and no contract negotiations had taken place.

Grimm, a native of Scottdale, Westmoreland County, and a Pitt product, has been the Steelers' offensive line coach since 2001 and the team's assistant head coach since 2004. He played 11 seasons as a guard and center for the Washington Redskins from 1981-91 and is among 17 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's class of 2007.

Grimm began his coaching career as the Redskins' tight ends coach. He switched to offensive line coach for Washington in 1997.

Grimm was one of three finalists to replace Cowher, along with Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Tomlin and Grimm had second interviews with the Steelers last week.

The Steelers would have had to wait until the Bears' season is completed to interview Rivera a second time. Chicago hosts New Orleans today in the NFC Championship Game.

Ken Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator last season, and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey, a former Steelers assistant, also interviewed for the position.

Whisenhunt since has become the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

The elevation of Grimm to his first head-coaching job figures to be welcomed by the Steelers' players.

Even before Cowher officially stepped down, a consensus had formed among the players that they preferred the Steelers stay in-house when the team hired its next head coach.

Grimm's ties to the area extend far beyond the six years he has been with the Steelers.

He starred at Southmoreland High School and then developed into an All-American center while at Pitt.

A third-round pick of the Redskins in 1981, Grimm became a member of the vaunted "Hogs" offensive line that proved to be a driving force behind a team that won three Super Bowls and played in four of them during his playing career.

Grimm, who retired after the 1991 season, played in four consecutive Pro Bowls (1983-86). He got into coaching after retiring and has worked under one Hall of Fame Coach (Joe Gibbs in Washington) and another (Cowher) who will likely be enshrined in Canton one day.

Grimm inherits a team that is less than a year removed from winning the Super Bowl but faltered last season.

The Steelers lost six of their first eight games and finished 8-8. They were physically dominated in a pair of losses to AFC North archrival Baltimore and did not get a chance to defend their Super Bowl title.

In addition to Cowher and Whisenhunt, the Steelers have lost running backs coach Dick Hoak (retired) and special teams coach Kevin Spencer (special teams, Arizona) from last year's staff.

Wide receivers coach Bruce Arians has said he believed his chances of becoming Steelers offensive coordinator were very good in the event Grimm became the head coach.

Stairwayto7
01-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Please! Someone explain to me what the Hell is going on?

DIESELMAN
01-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Please! Someone explain to me what the Hell is going on?

Who the hell knows anymore Cleve...lol This **** has been goin on alllllll night. Someone says Tomlin got it, its been confirmed and denied in the same breath. Now they are doin the same thing with Grimm. Flip a quarter, roll a big fat one, sit back and enjoy whats going to happen next!! lol

DIESELMAN
01-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I hear that Prisuta is pretty reliable when it comes to news about the Steelers. But why would SI and ESPN go out on a limb and say it was Tomlin? I kinda got my hopes up for Tomlin now, not that Grimm isn't a good choice but dammit.....I said this before.....**** the media for creating this circus!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 09:24 AM
I think we covered this article sometime between midnight and 230 am last night in the other thread but since it was buried in that thread we can let this one out there since it talks about Grimm specifically.

Anyhow, ESPN still is showing on their bottom line that it will be Tomlin, but Im telling ya that is not the case yet. Prisuta and local Pittsburgh Media are the ones I would believe before any national media outlet, even though Prisuta is a major jerk off !

Comon Russ, bring it home dude !

Stairwayto7
01-21-2007, 09:35 AM
This may have been posted already, but Steelers.com days this morning!

Statement from Steelers Spokesperson Dave Lockett

At this point and time, the Steelers have not concluded a contract agreement with a new head coach, nor do we expect to do so today. There will be no other announcements from this office today.

Enjoy Championship Sunday!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 09:59 AM
That tells me that they have somebody in mind but have not worked out the details yet, IMO.

floodcitygirl
01-21-2007, 10:20 AM
It also tells me that the waiting continues..... :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 11:00 AM
If you read between the lines it says they havent come to contract agreement yet. They could have just said, "no decision has been made yet". Which makes me think they are working on a deal as we speak with someone.

Stairwayto7
01-21-2007, 11:11 AM
How nerve racking! LOL

SteelerSal
01-21-2007, 11:19 AM
This whole situation has been as nerve racking as this past season has been.
Once a new Head Coach is in place we still have to wait and see what coordinators stay and go.
Gonna be a while before we see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Blitzburgh55
01-21-2007, 11:22 AM
On espn they said that grimm accepted the offer but they said the steelers will take today to figure out who they want to hire

SteelerSal
01-21-2007, 11:24 AM
On espn they said that grimm accepted the offer but they said the steelers will take today to figure out who they want to hire

Sure hope the choice don't come down to money.

Stairwayto7
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
??? How is an offer made, then a desicion???

I`ll just wait until I hear a ROONEY say something! And not Mickey rooney!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I dunno about Mickey Rooney but it sure seems like Mickey MOUSE is running this show....:lol:

floodcitygirl
01-21-2007, 11:38 AM

I`ll just wait until I hear a ROONEY say something! And not Mickey rooney!Exactly! Seems like these reporters are more interested in one-upping each other than they are reporting fact.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 11:38 AM

I`ll just wait until I hear a ROONEY say something! And not Mickey rooney!

That's the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard. How in the hell can you offer somebody a job then decide whether you want to hire them ! ESPN is on crack !

House of Steel
01-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I've lost all respect for ESPN a long while ago. I don't watch that damn network anymore, they are truly out of commission for sure. I am so sick of this media circus, they should be punished big time for this melee, both ESPN and SI.

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't get why they'd announce it when they don't even know if the Bears are still playing and they haven't interviewed Rivera yet. But if Rivera loses interest, then go forth and hire one of the other 2 remaining.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Rivera is still very interested however if the team feels they have to viable candidates then they'll choose between Grimm and Tomlin. The more I think about this the more I think they have an idea of what they want but they want to wait and see if the bears lose so they can interview Rivera but if the Bears win, I would think they'll just choose between Tomlin and Grimm.

SteelerSal
01-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Think about it, from 1933 to 1968 the Rooney's made lousey coaching decisions. From '69 to '06 they did great, maybe got lucky, with only choosing 2 Coaches.
As much as I hate the wait and the media f-ups, I would hate to be in the Rooney's shoes trying to make a choice that could hurt a strong franchise.
If we were a struggling, rebuilding franchise it would be easy to choose and hope for the best but thats not the case only being a season removed from being Superbowl Champions.
Man in the past I would be worried in the offseason on which players were gonna stay or leave because of the cap or free agency and this offseason is a totally new, and unsettling, feeling of totally screwing a team and tradition up by picking the wrong staff that has ideas that might not mesh with the players.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 12:22 PM
:plus1: Which is one of the main reasons Im hoping its Grimm so we don't upset the continuity of this team as much as if its somebody else, potentially. It's nerve wracking to say the least !

Steelerlyn
01-21-2007, 12:27 PM
The tendency is to panic, to bow to public sentiment and reach a quick, judgmental conclusion.

Not the Steelers.

The team hierarchy of president Art Rooney II and chairman Dan Rooney operates by its own set of rules.

Know this: The Steelers will hire Bill Cowher's replacement when they are good and ready.

It could happen today, tomorrow or two weeks from now, after Super Bowl XLI in Miami.

The Steelers won't hurry to hire a new coach because they can afford to take their time, said a prominent agent who represents several NFL coaches.

http://pittsburghlive.com:8000/x/pittsburghtrib/preview/s_489469.html

BBG7
01-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Steelers pick Grimm, source says

Steelers say coaching search not completed

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 21, 2007

Russ Grimm has been offered and has accepted the Steelers' head coaching position, a source in Pittsburgh confirmed late Saturday.

Here is why I doubt this article and their sources. This was said this morning...

"At this point and time, the Steelers have not concluded a contract agreement with a new head coach, nor do we expect to do so today," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said in the statement. "There will be no other announcements from this office today."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

The other article says that Grimm has already accepted...but today the Steelers said no one has accepted anything yet!

This is all too confusing

eighthgirl
01-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Since Grimm's interview with the Steeler's front office lasted 6-1/2 hours; It seems more likely that they had time to do some contract negotiations with him.
This is my first post. Hope I haven't broken any rules.
8thgirl

BBG7
01-21-2007, 01:49 PM
It could also mean that he was not awnsering questions like they wanted him to or it took longer to get to the awnser. In his post interview with the media, he didn't seem too sure about himself and that could have something to do with why the interview was so long.

I don't know, but this is driving me nuts, and we won't know anything until at least tomorrow.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Since Grimm's interview with the Steeler's front office lasted 6-1/2 hours; It seems more likely that they had time to do some contract negotiations with him.
This is my first post. Hope I haven't broken any rules.
8thgirl

:welcome: glad to have you !

Post up in the Introductions forum and tell us some more about yourself.

Also, Grimm and whats left of our staff are down doing Senior bowl evaluations this weekend so if there are any negoiations going on it's with Grimm's agent, himself and the team which could be taking them go alittle longer due to him being out of town.

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm more likely to agree with the Steelers. I'm sure they'd wait to find out if Rivera is still interested and if the Bears were to lose today.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree that we can and should take our time finding a coach, but damn I'd hate to see them really waiting on Rivera and then have Grimm snatched away for another position on another team.

Also strikes me as odd that Tomlin and Grimm, both finalists haven't gotten 2nd interviews with other clubs before they named their head coach.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 04:24 PM
tomlin probably said he's waiting on the steelers, and only the cards were stupid enough to think grimm was worth a damn, everyone was probably afraid he'll eat everything in sight and not focus on the team

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh God here we go again :lol:

Both Grimm and Tomlin could be waiting for awhile if the Bears keep winning like they are now at halftime.

Koopa
01-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh God here we go again :lol:

Both Grimm and Tomlin could be waiting for awhile if the Bears keep winning like they are now at halftime.

the rooney's ain't gonna wait on rivera, they know who they are hiring, they are just being dick heads and waiting........

K Train
01-21-2007, 04:29 PM
might be a double post but here

http://news.steelers.com/article/73525/

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
That's what I think as well, especially with that statement they released today stating they "haven't reached a contract agreement" yet with someone. They're aleady working on something but just havent said anything yet :cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Actually that's like a quadruple post but ok :lol:

Stairwayto7
01-21-2007, 04:41 PM
And the saga continues!

BBG7
01-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I definately think they know what (or who) they want. Both coaches werre at the Senior Bowl and the Rooneys would never announce something like this with the AFC and NFC Championship Day. They have too much class to steal the attention from the teams that are still playing. I do believe they are talking to the agent of who they have picked and are working out the contract. I think and really hope they will officially announce someone tomorrow esp. if the Bears win today (Rivera's SB apperence could cost him his final chance at his dream job) the Steelers will not wait until Feb. 5th to hire a coach. I think they know exactly who they want and we will hear the decision soon!

AZ_Steeler
01-21-2007, 05:53 PM
I am giving up on talking about who th enew coach is, I'm going to wait until a final decision is made :smh: