PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coordinators expected back for 2012 but no official word yet.

DIESELMAN
01-11-2012, 02:53 AM
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Steelers could experience significant roster turnover this offseason.

There will be very little, if any, when it comes to Mike Tomlin's coaching staff.

Both offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will return in 2012.

The two were at Steelers' headquarters yesterday as various players went through exit meetings and interviews with their position coach, as well as Tomlin.

Cornerback Keenan Lewis said LeBeau had a simple message to the players that will take time off before returning to Pittsburgh to start training for the 2012 season.

"He just told us to come back ready to win a Super Bowl," Lewis said.

The Steelers finished first in the NFL this season in scoring defense (14.2 points allowed per game) and total defense (271.8 yards ppg). They were 12th in total offense (372.3 yards per game) and tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 yards per game).
Thought I would ruin some of y'alls day :greengrin:

steelchamp204
01-11-2012, 03:23 AM
Wow that was a real punch to the man area. What a ****ing joke

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Haha can u really say u expected anything else?

Nolrog
01-11-2012, 07:55 AM
In order to emphasize his support for BA, Tomlin immediatly went out for a bubble screen but was tackled by the reporters behind the line.

SteelDad
01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
In order to emphasize his support for BA, Tomlin immediatly went out for a bubble screen but was tackled by the reporters behind the line.

:clap::clap::clap:

Raleigh Steel
01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
i now know what i have to do!

:postal: http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/347/556/120972000_display_image.jpg?1317014775

UKSTEELER
01-11-2012, 09:26 AM
i'm hardly surprised . . .

I'm beginning to think that Tomlin has his own interests at heart before that of the organization . . .

I basically think Mike is in way over his head. He has made more in game coaching mistakes this year than ever before, he has succumbed to Ben's will far too often, he looks lost - he appears to have very little input on the offensive side of the ball and seems quite content to just let the coordinators get on with it, even when it's going pear-shaped!!

I believe he has got very comfortable with these co-ordinators, . . . if we were to bring new guys in, perhaps they might see the flaws and wonder what they got themselves into?

It all seems the very easy road to take . . .

For some reason, although we're getting very old on Defense, and remain highly inconsistent on offense, the brain trust seem to believe (injuries permitting) that we will be knocking on the door of the Superbowl next season . . .

I'm afraid they are very much mistaken, a tougher schedule and the same old pathetic game planning will see us struggle to reach the playoffs.

I'm so disgusted I'm not going to get NFL Gamepass next season, why shell out $200+ dollars to see a whole load of offensive talent go to waste yet again! Why? :rant2:

I really feel like being sick!:evilshake:

coldrolled
01-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Wow... We will see... Wow...

If Cinci keeps marvin we will be ok.

If Cinci gets a real HC we will be chasing them for the next 4 years...

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Sucks!

coldrolled
01-11-2012, 09:57 AM
We have Ben, Wallace, Brown, Mendy, Redman, Miller, Cotch, Ward and we are satisfied with 12th in offensive yards.. Average and 21st in scoring. Below Average with this team?

I really dont want to hear about our defense. A #1 defense. beaten by its own team.

And we will keep Arians.. Wow...

connecticutsteel
01-11-2012, 10:11 AM
We have Ben, Wallace, Brown, Mendy, Redman, Miller, Cotch, Ward and we are satisfied with 12th in offensive yards.. Average and 21st in scoring. Below Average with this team?

I really dont want to hear about our defense. A #1 defense. beaten by its own team.

And we will keep Arians.. Wow...

Look 12th overall isn't horrible considering we had Colon,Pouncey,Cotchery,Mendy,Ben,Sanders,Ward,and many more on offense lose significant time due to injury.
It's funny how we are so unhappy with the current OC&DC and HC but these same group of coaches won a super bowl and they beat Bill Cower's coaching staff in doing so.Trust me bad coachs don't win super bowls unless your Barry Switzer or unless you have a team built by Bill Parcells before you take the job

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 10:19 AM
OC playcalling is lame and predictable, time to refresh the group but Tomlin doesn't have the sack to upset Ben!

Hey Tomlin, Ben is playing for you bud!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2012, 10:22 AM
This should come as no shock to anyone as much as we hate to rag on Bruce Arians. There's nobody on this team that is going to want to go out that way, atleast not on their own.

In Tomlin's eye's there is going to be enough change with players he probably thinks keeping the coaches in tact will help keep continuity.

I keep telling myself that at least...

chisteeler
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
As far as BA is concerned, it's the old saying...
Wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
As far as BA is concerned, it's the old saying...
Wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first.

So which one? lol

franchise3
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
We won SB despite this coaching staff and not because of it. Tomlin has no clue as to what he is doing. Time for Rooney to step in but he won't...

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
We won SB despite this coaching staff and not because of it. Tomlin has no clue as to what he is doing. Time for Rooney to step in but he won't...

Agree agree. Tomlin is a complete fraud. Sweet talkin will only get you so far.

chisteeler
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
So which one? lol

The one with his ****** play calling. :lol:

steelersbabex25
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I thought the one good thing about losing to Denver was that we'd be able to get rid or Arians...

I'm getting so sick of Tomlin and his complete unwillingness to make any changes to this team when it's obvious that changes need to be made.

JensK
01-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Although I obviously wanted BA gone, it is not like the offense nor results have been TERRIBLE under him. We did just have a 12-4 record. You seldom see people get canned because of a 12-4 season. Also, BA could not really do much against all the injuries we pilled up during the season. Could Tomlin? Possibly, although it is probably more a popular thing to say rather than actual truth. My point is, you don't change a winning team, and this coaching staff has proven that it actually creates results. That said, I am not a fan by any stretch. I like Tomlin a lot, but I do think it is time to let both LeBeau and BA go. Or at least BA, and then make sure that LeBeau uses all of this off-season to dial up some brand new magic!

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
The offense is stale and needs a refresh... 12-4 is good yes, but when your team can't score in the redzone to win more games that's a problem..

BA = Basic Approach, LAME!!

MattyVfromCT
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry I don't care about 12th in yards. 21st in pts scored is unacceptable. A 5 year average of 15th in pts scored is unacceptable. Constantly having to settle for 3 and with a stiff like sushi as your kicker, that is unacceptable. I mean for christ sake the 04 team scored more points and all we did was ****ing run with bussie and staley. In fact we ran more than any team since the 84 rams. Yet with a 4000 yd passer and 2 1000 yd receivers we scored less points. POINTS SCORED IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STAT FOR AN OFFENSE. I don't give a **** about yards. So livid right now........

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Raleigh Steel
01-11-2012, 11:51 AM
here are some of the teams that averaged more points per game than the steelers' 20.3:

panthers 25.4 with a rookie QB
giants 24.6 with the worst run offenses in the league
49ers 23.8 hello? alex smith? first year head coach?
ravens and jets 23.6 flacco and sanchez?
bears 22.1 cutler? worse o-line than what we have
vikings 21.3 lol...mcnabb and ponder?
dolphins 20.6 seriously, we are just below the dolphins? last i checked marino wasn't their QB anymore.

the only teams that were worse than us all didn't make the playoffs except for the broncos who were 8-8.

with all the weapons that we have, with all the money that is spent to upgrade the offensive talent, with having 5 years of the same exact underachieving scoring, how can we afford to keep arians around? seriously, is he really the ONLY answer? he is really the ONLY person available to be the OC? is the really the BEST that we can do or have?

time for the rooneys and or tomlin to sack up and make the change that is needed!

coldrolled
01-11-2012, 11:56 AM
here are some of the teams that averaged more points per game than the steelers' 20.3:

panthers 25.4 with a rookie QB
giants 24.6 with the worst run offenses in the league
49ers 23.8 hello? alex smith? first year head coach?
ravens and jets 23.6 flacco and sanchez?
bears 22.1 cutler? worse o-line than what we have
vikings 21.3 lol...mcnabb and ponder?
dolphins 20.6 seriously, we are just below the dolphins? last i checked marino wasn't their QB anymore.

the only teams that were worse than us all didn't make the playoffs except for the broncos who were 8-8.

with all the weapons that we have, with all the money that is spent to upgrade the offensive talent, with having 5 years of the same exact underachieving scoring, how can we afford to keep arians around? seriously, is he really the ONLY answer? he is really the ONLY person available to be the OC? is the really the BEST that we can do or have?

time for the rooneys and or tomlin to sack up and make the change that is needed!

This is the whole story.... 5 years of the same lets watch our defense win us games attitude. well the defense is older and we still cant score. goodbye post season....

the FO better make changes fast. or we will be battling for 3rd place in the afcn..

:eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1:

NYCsteelersfan
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Haha can u really say u expected anything else?

Not with Tomlin in charge, no I didn't expect anything else.

I basically think Mike is in way over his head. He has made more in game coaching mistakes this year than ever before, he has succumbed to Ben's will far too often, he looks lost - he appears to have very little input on the offensive side of the ball and seems quite content to just let the coordinators get on with it, even when it's going pear-shaped

Very good summary of Tomlin's abilities and attitude. I never thought the Steelers would have an inept head coach. Bad quarterback I was used to. Limited offensive talent I was used to, but I never thought our head coach would be a fool.

Trust me bad coachs don't win super bowls unless your Barry Switzer or unless you have a team built by Bill Parcells before you take the job

You hit the nail on the head. Mike Tomlin is Barry Switzer. He inherited a Superbowl ready team, built and prepared by the previous head coach. He will never win another Superbowl again because that which was built by the previous head coach has fallen apart and a bad head coach is incapable of rebuilding. It's over for the Steelers until Tomlin is gone.

Exactly! :cope: :plus1:

Real Deal Steel
01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I've never questioned Tomlin..until now. I don't see a coach who has the guts to
take control of his team and fire the personnel on the coaching staff that needs to be
fired. And if Tomlin CAN'T fire a coach, then there is something wrong in the structuring of the management. Because Arians is a bum. Even Stevie Wonder can see that by now.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Tomlin can come out and give his fancy speaches bla bla bla, he's a dumbass!

No sack at all, it's time ******** to make some changes your team is slipping away!!

DIESELMAN
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I posted a thread a few weeks ago in the NFL section that Norv Turner would be fired along with AJ Smith. A week or two later it was reported that they would be back for next season. I am hoping and praying that this report is false, it is kind of early to say the coordinators will be back, especially only a few days after our loss to Denver. A breath of hope in all this? Wasn't 2011 BA's last year under contract? I hope so, time will tell if this is written in stone.

steelspikes
01-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Look 12th overall isn't horrible considering we had Colon,Pouncey,Cotchery,Mendy,Ben,Sanders,Ward,and many more on offense lose significant time due to injury.
It's funny how we are so unhappy with the current OC&DC and HC but these same group of coaches won a super bowl and they beat Bill Cower's coaching staff in doing so.Trust me bad coachs don't win super bowls unless your Barry Switzer or unless you have a team built by Bill Parcells before you take the job

At the end of each game one stat matters, and one stat only: SCOREBOARD!

Steeler offense has sucked in scoring. This past season was the worst in the 5 yrs. with Arians as OC: A MEASLY 20.3 ppg. His schemes have the offense running up and down the fields for lots of yards, but very few points.

steelspikes
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
The Scott Brown article in today's Pittsburgh Tribune Review, in which he states definitively that there will be no changes to the Steelers' Coordinator positions, lacks authority.
He cites no source(s) for making this pronouncement. I don't see any quotes. And last time I checked Scott Brown was not the official voice of Steelers' management.
What he states as fact in this article seems to be nothing more that his locker-room hunch. It's too early for any official endorsement for Steeler Coordinators to ensue from management. I don't recall any team making such decisions within hours of a gut-wrenching loss.
Personally, would love to see Lebeau return for at least 1 more yr. Arians should've a.) been fired three years ago, or b.) never been hired in the first place.

chisteeler
01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
If this is the case, then I guess we'll see. Maybe Tomlin or Mgt. allows him to "resign /retire" to avoid questions of firing. This way Tomlin and Mgt. look good in the press. And then of course they can consult Ben on who he wants as the OC.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
BS on who Ben wants, he's the player..

chisteeler
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
BS on who Ben wants, he's the player..

I hope of course you know I was being sarcastic. :lol:

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 02:07 PM
I hope of course you know I was being sarcastic. :lol:

You're lucky man lol see how quickly I flamed up?? Lol

chisteeler
01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
You're lucky man lol see how quickly I flamed up?? Lol

:yellowthumb: I know, it just seems like with Tomlin's decision making this season, that I wouldn't be surprised if he asked Ben to be part of the interviewing process.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
:yellowthumb: I know, it just seems like with Tomlin's decision making this season, that I wouldn't be surprised if he asked Ben to be part of the interviewing process.

I agree and it sickens me! "hey Ben, at this juncture I have to ****, you cool with this decision"

cmerrifield
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Um, Brown was quoting Tomlin after he was asked that question during his last press conference. So, there is your source, the Head Coach himself.

steelspikes
01-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Um, Brown was quoting Tomlin after he was asked that question during his last press conference. So, there is your source, the Head Coach himself.

Scott Brown did not quote Tomlin. Go back and watch the vid. Tomlin was asked if he "anticipated" keeping same staff. Of course he will deflect that question with a pat "yes." If you listen to min. 7-8 of this vid, in no way is Tomlin giving a firm vote of confidence to any coordinator. In fact, he talks about the inevitability of change as part of the NFL. What Brown inferred and communicated to Tribune readers is very presumptive. Season ended less than 72 hrs. ago. I assure you no final decisions going forward have been made yet.

steelchamp204
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
BA will be back. Even with Shotty our there not going back to the Jets, BA will be back. Ben and him are buddies and Ben runs the team, not Tomlin

Diehardsteel
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
BA will be back. Even with Shotty our there not going back to the Jets, BA will be back. Ben and him are buddies and Ben runs the team, not Tomlin

:goodpost:

TampaSteelGirl
01-11-2012, 04:44 PM

:rofl: Love this brother!:yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
I just talked to some family back home and the local talk is BA isn't the problem.

There is also a lot to be said about Brown getting MVP and not Ben, kinda stirs up the "locker room theroy" that Ben isn't well liked from within..

The conditioning coaches are also catched a lot of hell!

HUNT4SEVEN
01-11-2012, 10:37 PM
The problem is 3 points in the red zone instead of 7, enough is enough we need change 2012 will be the 20th year we have had the same GD schemes on offense and defense these r bill coward schemes, it's time for CHANGE!!!! this is ridiculous

NYCsteelersfan
01-12-2012, 12:42 AM
There is also a lot to be said about Brown getting MVP and not Ben, kinda stirs up the "locker room theroy" that Ben isn't well liked from within..

Who doesn't like him? The rookie wide receivers? The offensive line that can't stop defenders? The kicker that can't make long field goals? The secondary that can't stop good teams?

Aside from Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, and Roethlisberger, there isn't another person on this team that I would care to see go because aside from the four above, everyone else is easily replaceable.

OldSchool58
01-12-2012, 08:53 PM
As my first official post here, will I get in trouble by suggesting Bruce Arians grant me one wish and set himself on fire while jumping off a skyscraper......only to later be run over by a truck? God...................this man has destroyed my smashmouth football team.

UKSTEELER
01-13-2012, 09:16 AM
As my first official post here, will I get in trouble by suggesting Bruce Arians grant me one wish and set himself on fire while jumping off a skyscraper......only to later be run over by a truck? God...................this man has destroyed my smashmouth football team.

He'd get to the top of the skyscraper, . . . . then BEN would talk him down!!!:stirpot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elgN3_vyx6E

:banana:

Raleigh Steel
01-13-2012, 10:04 AM
where are the raiders when you need them? oh yeah, al davis is dead, and his son put a former packer in charge...which means he will make sound decisions.

5 years running now, arians hasn't even sniffed a head coaching interview. even if he's not interested in being a head coach, his name doesn't even get floated out there.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Might have a situation where the players have too much control. Something is clearly wrong with the current picture. No change in direct team management means management is not in tune with this situation. A first time follower could see this. Three years in a row... We got wins but, just barely. Get ready for more ****** football.

coldrolled
01-13-2012, 11:07 AM
where are the raiders when you need them? oh yeah, al davis is dead, and his son put a former packer in charge...which means he will make sound decisions.

5 years running now, arians hasn't even sniffed a head coaching interview. even if he's not interested in being a head coach, his name doesn't even get floated out there.

He Sucks.. Cant we hire a play caller at least....