PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks could have torn ACL, another big decision for Steelers this offseason

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Reading a tweet from Scott Brown at the Pittsburgh Trib: @ScottBrown_Trib (http://www.twitter.com/scottbrown_trib) after talking to Steelers lineman Trai Essex.

Sounds like Starks tore ACL in Den. Essex said, "I know he's devastated, especially going through a free agency year but he'll bounce back."As you remember, Starks came back on a 1 yr. deal, so he will be unrestricted once the free agent period starts in a couple of months. The Steelers have a big decision to make with Starks here and this ACL injury (if it indeed does turn out to be a tear). Max tweeted yesterday, that he will need surgery and rehab but there's been no official word on the severity of the injury or any timetable for rehab and a return to football.

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/1315334700/Max_normal.jpg
maxstarks78 (https://twitter.com/#%21/maxstarks78) Max Starks IV

gotta get surgery and rehab before I explore the world! ;) I'm sure you're playing at like 11 or noon my time!

Raleigh Steel
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
starks filled in admirably this season, but like i've said before, he's the average looking girl in a room full of fatties.

the #1 priority is to upgrade the offensive line...by any means necessary!!! then 1A would be to get a better offensive system that can utilize the talent better.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Time to go shopping FO...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
You can't fix the entire offensive line in 1 year unless you use free agency as well and even then it would be quite expensive. You have to look at your priorities. If Starks is able to return to his spot next year you'd be wise to do so, draft yourself a top left guard this year and bring in some depth.

then next year or if you're lucky enough to find one this year, bring in the next LT of the future. Starks is not a bad option for another season if his knee is ok.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 03:22 PM
The Ravens cleaned house and restructured their whole Oline and it turned out well for them, it's time for the FO to do the same...

Nolrog
01-11-2012, 08:16 PM
The Steelers have a big decision to make with Starks here and this ACL injury (if it indeed does turn out to be a tear).

It's an easy decision acutally. Torn ACL takes a long long time to recover from. A good 10 months, if not a year. Starks (and Hampton and Mendenhal) will all miss most, if not all of next year (Mendenhall probably won't be right again until the 2013 season, even if he does play next year.)

Add in the fact that Starks and Hampton won't be able to work out much (especially their legs obviously) so they both likely will gain lots of weight and need time to get back into game shape.

Don't count on these guys next year.

--- Added 1/11/2012 at 06:16 PM ---

You can't fix the entire offensive line in 1 year unless you use free agency as well and even then it would be quite expensive. You have to look at your priorities. If Starks is able to return to his spot next year you'd be wise to do so, draft yourself a top left guard this year and bring in some depth.

then next year or if you're lucky enough to find one this year, bring in the next LT of the future. Starks is not a bad option for another season if his knee is ok.

It may be expensive, but it's necessary. They need to draft an OLineman and sign one in free agency. I agree with the left guard. From free agency, look for a good solid work man, but not a super star. Someone that could be had for a decent price (Starks was that guy this year.)

The same for the DLine. They need a nose and a back up end (assuming Smith is gone.)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Believe me I hear you, it's beyond necessary to fix the needed parts of this team if they want to keep staying competitive. All these years they've been able to draft and build their team knowing they had a safety blanket of core players who were going to be back and be competitive.

Now that security blanket is quickly being yanked away from them and it's time to find out how this team is going to prepare for the future. I keep stressing it's not like they dropped off into obscurity, however issues need to be addressed before it starts heading down the path to mediocrity.

There's been no official word that I've seen on how bad Starks' injury was other than he was having surgery. If it is torn and he's ready to come back by training camp then things should be fine. If not then the OL will undergo even more changes.