PDA

View Full Version : Will Ward retire? Update: Says he's not retiring, is willing to restructure

Zachintosh66
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/09/report-hines-ward-will-retire/

Report: Hines Ward will retire

Posted by Josh Alper on January 9, 2012, 11:48 AM EST

Getty Images
With the Steelers facing the start of the long offseason, decisions will start being made about the future of the roster.

One player to watch on that front is Hines Ward. Ward turns 36 in March and after seeing his role cut dramatically in his 14th NFL season, thereís been some talk that he might be ready to call it a career. Ward, who has two years left on his contract, said last month that he hasnít been thinking about retiring, but a report from Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com on Monday sings a different tune.

Freeman reports that he got a text from a Steelers player after the 29-23 overtime loss to the Broncos saying that the ďexpectations around the teamĒ are that Ward will not return for another season. The player isnít Ward so thereís obviously a pretty big grain of salt in the mix, but the 2011 season didnít provide much evidence of a bright future for Ward.

Whatever future he has might not be in Pittsburgh. With a strong receiving corps in place and a need to get younger before next season, the Steelers might not have a place for Ward on their roster. Cutting ties with a player who has 1,000 career catches and two Super Bowl rings as a Steeler wouldnít be all that easy, but similar moves have been made before and the Steelers havenít shown an aversion to making tough decisions like that in the past.

If this is the end for Ward, you can bet there will be a spirited debate about his Hall of Fame credentials in a few years. It will be the rare case when a wide receiverís blocking ability plays a major role in the discussion.

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the years Hines!

PS: Take Bruce with you...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Reports are swirling that Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward will announce his retirement soon, but sources told Channel 11 Sports reporter Rich Walsh that isn’t the case.

Just one day after the Denver Broncos knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs with a 29-23 victory, reports began surfacing that Ward, 35, is considering hanging up his cleats.

However, sources told Walsh Ward doesn’t want to retire and could possibly be back for another season.

The Super Bowl XL MVP was tossed around the lineup this year with younger stars like Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown seeing most of the action.

It was Ward who set the standards, however, breaking many records while with the Steelers, the only team he has played for in his 15-year NFL career.

The latest milestone came on Jan. 1 when Ward became only the eighth player in NFL history to nab 1,000 catches.In December, the two-time Super Bowl champion became the 19th player in NFL history to reach 12,000 receiving yards,Ward is also the Steelers all-time leader in receptions (1,000), yardage (12,083) and touchdowns (85) for a receiver.

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/30169022/detail.html

Zachintosh66
01-09-2012, 05:54 PM
posted on hines fb page

I wanted take a moment to thank all of Steeler Nation for the love and support. I'm sorry for the disappointing loss. I'm still depressed about it. We had a great year finishing 12-4 but our ultimate goal was to win the Super Bowl and we fell short. Hats off to Denver. I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES

Zachintosh66
01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
as we seen last night hines would be the 5th wheel... and with them again holding onto tyler grisham (how much Prac Squad availability does he have left?) looks like theres not much room for the guy... well see

id love to see him ride off into the sunset but not sure thats gonna happen

StlersGuy
01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
I wanted take a moment to thank all of Steeler Nation for the love and support. I'm sorry for the disappointing loss. I'm still depressed about it. We had a great year finishing 12-4 but our ultimate goal was to win the Super Bowl and we fell short. Hats off to Denver. I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES

https://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward/posts/10150492195745945

TampaSteelGirl
01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Thank God!! I was not ready for Hines to go out yet....would love for him to go our like Bettis...:tt02:

StillersSound
01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
He's going to have to take a pay cut and stop dancing like a star. If he's serious he should take a few weeks off and start training/conditioning right away. He lost a step, I would love to see him get it back.

Troyisabeast_43
01-09-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree if Ward is going to stay he is going to have to take a tremendous amount of less money and accept his role of being a 5th receiver. The Steelers have got to cut some of these older players loose with higher salaries in order for them to lock up the younger guys that are going to need signed and also to replace those older guys with guys in the draft.

Cricker24
01-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Hines will be a Steeler next season, mark it down!! The media will make it dramatic and there will probably be reports that he's refusing to take less money, that he'll be released, blah, blah, blah. Hines Ward IS the very definition of a Pittsburgh Steelers and he will NOT be on ANY OTHER team BUT the Pittsburgh Steelers!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, he has to be a Steeler next season because my dream of going to training camp is going to happen this August, or so my family tells me, and my all-time favorite Steeler/athlete has to be there!!

Chris

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Give it up Hines.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Thank God!! I was not ready for Hines to go out yet....would love for him to go out like Bettis...:tt02:

During Bettis's last year he was productive as a RB. Ward was not productive this year, when he was in the game. Ben seems to have found new favorites and this kills me to say it but Hines's time is now. He has no future with this team as a 5th WR, he's not gonna play ST and the amount of money he makes is the straw breaking the camel's back. He's not gonna come back for significantly less money and unless he can re gain the ability to get open ,it would be worse to see him see on the bench all year!!

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Give it up Hines.

Agreed, come back as a coach your playing days are numbered!

Scorp
01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
He's like the Holyfield of football. He won't retire until he wins another championship. Unlike Holyfield, i believe Hines will get one.

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Plain and simple..it's time for Ward to quit.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
I really could care less whether Hines stay or not. At the very least he's a good presence to have on the sidelines. Like many have said, he will have to take a significant paycut to stay on the team, and I think he will. He knows he's not a #1 receiver anymore.

That being said, I don't think he'll get that 3rd superbowl he's looking for, so at some point he'll have to retire without it. I feel like this might have been our last year with a real shot at the suberbowl for a while and the next few years will be rebuilding years. Hines won't make it past that rebuilding stage.

Diehardsteel
01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
It's time to let the man go. Just because he had some good years in your uniform doesn't mean you owe him anything. I love hines but it's time we move forward and think about the FUTURE when it comes to this football team. I don't mind having 88, 84, 17, and 89(?) as our top 4. 86 is just not needed at this point.

LevonKirkland99
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Give it up Hines.
If he wants to play somewhere else why not? Don't worry, we'll have one-trick-pony-Wallace all of next year.

Hines should leave the team and let Ben have his toys.

floodcitygirl
01-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Glad to hear Hines wants to stay. I hope that whatever is necessary to make that happen can be done quickly and without drama. I'd love to see him come back in the best physical condition possible and be an asset to the team on the field as well as mentoring the younger guys. I want to see him go out great.

steelersbabex25
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Lots of reports coming in now that even though Hines doesn't want to retire, the Steelers may not want to keep him, so he could be going somewhere else. I couldn't imagine Hines playing in any other uniform, and I hope he decides not to play for another team. I feel like it would tarnish his reputation forever.

floodcitygirl
01-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Lots of reports coming in now that even though Hines doesn't want to retire, the Steelers may not want to keep him, so he could be going somewhere else. I couldn't imagine Hines playing in any other uniform, and I hope he decides not to play for another team. I feel like it would tarnish his reputation forever.So much for my hopes of no drama?! :duh:

steelersgal86
01-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Lots of reports coming in now that even though Hines doesn't want to retire, the Steelers may not want to keep him, so he could be going somewhere else. I couldn't imagine Hines playing in any other uniform, and I hope he decides not to play for another team. I feel like it would tarnish his reputation forever.

:iagree: he needs to just retire a steeler

LatrobePA
01-10-2012, 01:53 PM
AZ here he comes!

Zachintosh66
01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
his due like 5-7 mil next year isnt he... awfully expensive 5th stringer

im calling it now Ward will not be a Steeler next year. wouldnt "tarnish" him but just glad he got his 1000 w Pitt

prolly go closer to home Atl, Ten, Car, one of the Florida teams... but he will always be a steeler in my book!

JensK
01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
He is being stupid if thats the case. He had an amazing career here, and he probably got as much our of his skills as you could ever wish for, including 3 superbowl appearance and a SB MVP title. He is not going to see any significant playing time anywhere, especially not here and he knows that. He also knows that Steelers wont be able to pay him with their current cap situation. Go out with some dignity instead of pulling a Farve.

steelersbabex25
01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
What sucks is that he'll go into the HOF as a Cardinal or something stupid. My thing is that he says he wants to win another SB...any team that wants him will not be winning a SB anytime soon. I think he can kiss that dream goodbye. You got 2 Hines..don't be a greedy little bitch.

steelersgal86
01-10-2012, 02:01 PM
He is being stupid if thats the case. He had an amazing career here, and he probably got as much our of his skills as you could ever wish for, including 3 superbowl appearance and a SB MVP title. He is not going to see any significant playing time anywhere, especially not here and he knows that. He also knows that Steelers wont be able to pay him with their current cap situation. Go out with some dignity instead of pulling a Farve.

well said :clap: I agree....

LatrobePA
01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
You got 2 Hines..don't be a greedy little bitch.

LMAO!!

Nolrog
01-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Steelers need to make some hard decisions. Hines is one of them. As is Hampton, Farrior, Foot, Smith, Kimo (Hoke will retire because of his injury.)

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Hit the road Hines please.....dude just retire.....I still love Levon Kirkland99 thinking Ward is still one of the best WR's in the NFL....lol Yea I love seeing Ward reduced to nothing more then a bubble screen WR......The Ward I proudly remember is the WR that went over the middle without fear making the tough catches........Father time has caught up to Ward plus the style of football he played in his career.....Age catches up with every great athlete at some point...But continue to live in the past....lol

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
While your at it take Batch too. Thanks. That is money needed for some real skin in the game.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
As much as I hate to say it ,it's time Hines!! Don't go to another team to sit on their bench just because of money. Besides who will take him, hell TO recovered from his injury and couldn't catch on with another team and he could still be productive. I just hope he retires instead of getting cut and finding out no other team wants him...

LevonKirkland99
01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
If Ward decides to retire , I am sure he will announce it to the world. If the Steelers cut him , so be it. He'll suck it up and move on. If he wants to play for another team, then I guess that's his decision....Wait, you want him to retire as a Steeler and not play for any other team? Ah, d'accord...d'accord.

I hope he is no longer with the team so that I don't hear all your bitching an moaning..You will have Wallace all of next year to salivate over.

This is also the most viewed thread (of course after 'Is Bruce fired yet?' and 'Is Ben gonna be great next year?'). People really still care about Hines?! LMAO

xBlitzBurghx
01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
When do we draft a safety for the future? Not saying we need one yet just asking opinions

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

LevonKirkland99
01-11-2012, 12:09 AM
When do we draft a safety for the future? Not saying we need one yet just asking opinions

This year after we let go of Clark and Polamalu and start from "zero".

xBlitzBurghx
01-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Did Troy start his rookie year at all or did he just come in?

SuperSteelers
01-11-2012, 09:43 AM
If he wants to play somewhere else why not? Don't worry, we'll have one-trick-pony-Wallace all of next year.

Hines should leave the team and let Ben have his toys.

He maybe a one trick pony but his numbers should have been twice what he ended with this season or past seasons if the damn QB could throw a deep ball.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
He maybe a one trick pony but his numbers should have been twice what he ended with this season or past seasons if the damn QB could throw a deep ball.

Wallace tapered off and was less than great! Ben had his troubles this year hitting the deep ball..

Personally I'm not impressed w/ Wallace!

Zachintosh66
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Did Troy start his rookie year at all or did he just come in?

not right away... but by the end of season he did... worked him in slowly (id say not before week 8) almost positive a good half the season was over

SteelDad
01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Saw a tweet this morning from Wexell or Bouchette, can't recall which that said Hines is willing to take a paycut. This would be a significant development in him staying on at a much less salary.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Saw a tweet this morning from Wexell or Bouchette, can't recall which that said Hines is willing to take a paycut. This would be a significant development in him staying on at a much less salary.

He's a great sidelines coach, I wouldn't have a problem with that...

MDSteel15
01-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Do you all know what it is to get double and triple teamed? Why do you think it was so easy for Brown to be wide open? Wallace is fine. Just needs to run better routes!

LarryNJ
01-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I agree with the just retire Hines. I have no idea what his post playing days plans are but I'd think he's be great on TV. Be like Cowher and make the easy money.

PITTxPRIDE
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I think Ward will start as a steeler and leave as one, he wont trade, and when he does retire, we will all be sure to let him know how much he ment to this team:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
He understands he would have to take a pay cut from his $4 million salary next season. He has two seasons left on his contract and is willing to do that. Such a decision must be made, however, by March 1 because Ward said a clause in his contract states that they must guarantee his job by then or release him.
"I'd probably have to restructure my contract," Ward said of the pay cut. "That's fine with me. I recognize that. I'm telling you I want to be here, I'm telling you I'm willing to do that. And I understand the ramifications -- we have the cap number and stuff, but I want to be here."

As for not starting, Ward noted that happened this season.
"Obviously, I was a starter, and then it went the way it did. That's fine, I don't have a problem with not starting. But I want to play, I want to try to win another Super Bowl. I want to do it for this organization. I want to help this team out. I still think I can help this team, on the field, off the field with the younger guys, still be there for the team. I'm willing to do all that."

No one has talked to him yet about his future, Ward said. He will have minor surgery on his right ankle to shave down bone spurs. He also is looking forward to a rest after a year in which he played football into the Super Bowl in February, had knee surgery, won "Dancing With the Stars," had surgery on his thumb and rejoined his teammates for the 2011 season after the lockout ended.

If the Steelers do not want him back next season, Ward hopes fans understand if he signs elsewhere.

"I want to be here. I mean, if they decide they don't want me here, it's not my choice. I wouldn't see why Steelers fans would be angry at me, if I still think I can play. I want to play here. I don't want to put on another uniform, but, at the end of the day, it's not my choice. There's nothing I can do about it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12011/1202701-66.stm#ixzz1jB7zPbuB

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
A birdie from within claims there are coaches that don't want him back and didn't back in 10'. However the owners love Hines and will more than likely override the coaches.

But with that said the two sides have to agree on a reasonable price to keep him. If not Hines is ready to go elsewhere!

K Train
01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
no thanks on the restructure....im ready to move on. imo he either retires or goes somewhere else for a year, some WR needy team will take him for sure

Cricker24
01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not in the camp of "Hines Needs to Retire" and I'm DEFINITELY NOT willing to see him play for another team. I would be extremely upset if that happened. No one is saying he has to start and in the PG article I didn't see him say he was unhappy being the 4th/5th receiver. I don't understand how people just forget what Hines has done for this organization on and off the field. I don't want to see him end up like Franco or Emmitt Smith or even Jerry Rice, and be with another team.

Bucsfan4ever
01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Here I am a Bucs fan and I just don't see how you would want him gone. He's willing to re-structure and be a great mentor for those coming up. I hope you keep him in a Steelers uniform!

K Train
01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not in the camp of "Hines Needs to Retire" and I'm DEFINITELY NOT willing to see him play for another team. I would be extremely upset if that happened. No one is saying he has to start and in the PG article I didn't see him say he was unhappy being the 4th/5th receiver. I don't understand how people just forget what Hines has done for this organization on and off the field. I don't want to see him end up like Franco or Emmitt Smith or even Jerry Rice, and be with another team.
all hes done is one thing, but he hasnt done much lately and thats the reality of the NFL....holding on to these vets too long is just steps backwards. He could still probably help another team somewhere but hes hit a plateau here

Ibleedblk&gld
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM

:plus1:

I feel the exact same way...Hines has been nothing but Mr. Reliable for us his whole career and I believe he still has some juice in him...he may not have the speed he used to, but he's still a great WR that isn't afraid to throw a hellacious block

LevonKirkland99
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Do you guys/gals have anything to say other than ranting about Ward's retirement possibilities... It's getting old.

Talk about smthg more constructive...Yinz keep repeating the same thing over and over and over....

I am NOT in the camp of "Hines needs to retire", just for the record.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Do you guys/gals have anything to say other than ranting about Ward's retirement possibilities... It's getting old.

Talk about smthg more constructive...Yinz keep repeating the same thing over and over and over....

I am NOT in the camp of "Hines needs to retire", just for the record.

Would you rather we talk about Bruce Arians?

Ibleedblk&gld
01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Still an active member of the "fire Bruce arians" FB page

LevonKirkland99
01-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Would you rather we talk about Bruce Arians?

Just getting annoyed of rehashing the same damn thing about: "Hines needs to retire", "Hey Hines take Bruce with you", "Hey Hines what have you done for me lately".

If Ward wants to play for another team, the it's his call. you CAN'T have it both ways Steeler fans!!

cmerrifield
01-12-2012, 08:12 AM
I want Ward to stay if he can accept a huge pay cut and understands he will have to earn his spot as the 3rd or 4th or 5th WR, whatever he ends up being. I think his willingness to coach and help the young guys would be worth it. His mind will be more of an asset than his skills, but I think he would still be worth it, especially if Cotchery showed enough this season to get a bigger contract with another team.

LarryNJ
01-12-2012, 11:50 AM

That's fine that you think he can still play, but just because others say it's time to retire doesn't mean that they forgot what Hines has done. I'm sure every fan remembers and appreciates what he has done in the past for the organization. That has nothing to do with next year and beyond. What matters is does he give us the best chance at winning next year, along with his salary and can that money be better spent some way else. If he plays for another team no big deal, that's the way pro sports are today.

CowherPower
01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
It just wouldn't be right to see Ward playing for anyone else. Honestly he's a Steeler, period. I know in this day and age most players don't start and finish with the same team but Ward is one of those old school guys. He's got enough money, stay in Pittsburgh Hines!

steelchamp204
01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I want him to retire a steeler. If that means keeping him here as a #5 thats fine with me. You rarely ever see players retire with the teams they start with. It would be something neat to see.

tat2
01-12-2012, 04:30 PM
my prediction:
ward takes a significant pay and returns. works his *** off during the offseason and will be the teams #3 reciever for most of next season.
no DWTS or lockout this year and due to the fact that ward is a warrior and competetor, he will have a monster offseason.
cotchery will be someplace else.
still not sold on the young money trio. one is always hurt and one has hands worse than a digital clock.
in 2012 ward will see significant reps and make meaningful plays for the steelers like he always has!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Report: Ward willing to take big pay cut

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward wants to play next season, and would take a significant pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh, the Post-Gazette reported Wednesday.

Ward, who has spent all 14 of his NFL seasons with the Steelers, shot down rumors that he would retire following a career-worst season in which he totaled just 46 catches for 381 yards.

"I'd probably have to restructure my contract," the 35-year-old said about the possibility of returning to the team.

"That's fine with me. I recognize that. I'm telling you I want to be here, I'm telling you I'm willing to do that. And I understand the ramifications ó we have the cap number and stuff, but I want to be here."

Ward said he would be "devastated" if he cannot play for the Steelers in 2012, but said he would still attempt to play elsewhere if the team opts to release him.

The Steelers must decide by March whether to pay Ward a roster bonus or cut ties with the Super Bowl XL MVP.

The two-time Super Bowl winner, who was paid $4 million this season, became the eighth player to reach 1,000 catches in the final game of the regular season.

Ward did not make a catch in the Steelers' 29-23 overtime loss Sunday at Denver.

Courtesy of FOXSports.com

K Train
01-12-2012, 04:33 PM
im fine with it, as long as they arent afraid to cut him after camp if hes not getting it done. cant just keep him around because hes hines ward

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
im fine with it, as long as they arent afraid to cut him after camp if hes not getting it done. cant just keep him around because hes hines ward

Agreed .Want to see how low he can go... but even if he does he has to produce !!

LevonKirkland99
01-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Agreed .Want to see how low he can go... but even if he does he has to produce !!

I'd like to see him play for another team....We Steeler fans are selfish exactly with statements like this.

I hope he goes to AZ to some other place where he could get used. He had a great career as a Steeler, that's enough.