PDA

View Full Version : The 3 Secondary Lapses that Cost the Season

steelspikes
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
1. Troy takes bad angle on Houston's Arian Foster late, big TD jaunt: Steelers lose 17-10.
2. Ravens' Torrey Smith gets behind Wm. Gay for last second TD catch: Steelers lose 23-20
3. Last night's dagger in O.T.: season over.

So much for Carnell Lake's first year as DB Coach. Great players don't always make great coaches.

MattyVfromCT
01-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Are u kidding me? They were so much better than they were under horton's tenure its not even funny, minus 08. We had a bad game. It happens. But to throw lake under the bus? Come on dude. Lebeau calls the plays and ike picked the wrong day to have his worst game of his career........

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Nolrog
01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
The secondary is taking so much blame, but there's plenty to go around. The D, once again, put no pressure on the QB. The OLine once again stopped the d as well as my screens stop the wind. The game planning (both O and D yesterday) was poor. Tomlin has been pretty inconsistent this year, having an unpreparred team way too many times.

TampaSteelGirl
01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Im a big legursky fan but he had a couple of fatal snaps last night...that last high snap blew our chances at a first down and potentional TD.....lots of blame to go around.

steelchamp204
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Where was the pass rush lastnight. Thats right we dont need one since corners should blanket receivers for more than 8 seconds eh?

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Broncos had 3 starting WR's last night, lol we couldn't even cover them!

coldrolled
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
2 or 3 holding calls on Joey would have changed this game a bit also. the holding was really obvious..

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Picking 3 plays out of hundreds is a ridiculous way to judge a coach. The secondary was very improved this year. like was stated earlier no team can expect DB to cover for 5+ seconds!!!

steelspikes
01-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Picking 3 plays out of hundreds is a ridiculous way to judge a coach. The secondary was very improved this year. like was stated earlier no team can expect DB to cover for 5+ seconds!!!

often make the difference between winning and losing. In a tight Division race, one or two games makes the difference between playing at home and a bye, and going on the road as a wildcard team. Without the first 2 lapses I listed, Steelers win Division. And the 3rd lapse never even happens.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-10-2012, 11:29 AM
1. Troy takes bad angle on Houston's Arian Foster late, big TD jaunt: Steelers lose 17-10.
2. Ravens' Torrey Smith gets behind Wm. Gay for last second TD catch: Steelers lose 23-20

So much for Carnell Lake's first year as DB Coach. Great players don't always make great coaches.

1 Troy takes bad angle...not coach's fault,Troy made a mistake...
2 Smith gets behind...WR are paid to make plays too... even though quite a few receivers get behind Gay I doubt he's coached that way.
3. Looks on that play there should have been help over the top..if there wasn't supposed to be then it's coaches fault.

Overall I think the DB play improved this season over last,hard to argue with so few plays over 30 yds during season,now with so many plays over in Denver game that would be a huge problem. If they had played that poorly all year we would not have made playoffs !!

coldrolled
01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

If we are winning by 2 touchdowns using our super powered offense.. minus an OC from EA sports..We would not worry about a few lapses in game.

Watch Greenbay and New Orleans play, they give up big plays and have lapses. They cover thaose up with their offensive attack.

we were 12-4 with a offense scoring less than 21 points a game. its not really the defenses fault.

the pats score 30+ points a game, they are rehiring mcdaniels... :thinking:

steelspikes
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Peter King on ESPN (Colin Coherd radio show) just said that that last play was not "zero coverage," but that either Troy or Mundy "saw something" indicating a run. So the error of having no safety help for Ike Taylor was really player error. Doubtful that a more experienced Ryan Clark makes that same mistake.

--- Added 1/10/2012 at 11:02 AM ---

If we are winning by 2 touchdowns using our super powered offense.. minus an OC from EA sports..We would not worry about a few lapses in game.

Watch Greenbay and New Orleans play, they give up big plays and have lapses. They cover thaose up with their offensive attack.

we were 12-4 with a offense scoring less than 21 points a game. its not really the defenses fault.

the pats score 30+ points a game, they are rehiring mcdaniels... :thinking:

See articles I've written for SA. It's all about Steelers' lack of scoring under Bruce Arians. Will be pushing for a Mike Martz hire in upcoming posts/article.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I will say this if you think Carnell Lake didn't do a good job then you must be watching the wrong team. The secondary, all of them greatly improved their game. Is it a coincidence that Ike Taylor has his best year the same time Lake took over? If you watched the play of Gay and Lewis you notice that their technique improved as well. They didn't get caught with their hips turned the wrong direction or get run by nearly as often.

Yes those plays were costly but overall in the season I will take this secondary over any group since super bowl XL.

steelersbabex25
01-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I could never complain about this years secondary after watching the abysmal secondary of a few years ago. A complete 180 this year IMO. From one of the worst in the league to the best in the league. Ironic as it may be, that it one of the units that I'm not worried about going into the offseason.

steelspikes
01-10-2012, 03:27 PM
After hearing what Peter King said on ESPN radio (above) I am not so critical of Steeler staff. Agree that overall secondary play this year was good. But sticking to my guns that the three breakdowns I list at the start of this thread were crucial to the Steelers' fate this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Just imagine the secondary that the Steelers had the last couple of years before 2011. Imagine that group being on the field during this years run with so many injuries to the defensive line and linebackers? Instead of finishing #1 overall they'd have been lucky to finish 31..LOL.

I'll take this years DB's over anything in a quite awhile.

steelspikes
01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Bottom line: our playoff run was hi-jacked by an inferior team...which sucks big-time.