PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Old, Injured, and Done

Three Four
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Experience only counts for so much in the NFL. The way the Steelers play, the bruising style of football, those 30 year old bodies don't bounce back as quickly. Hampton, Keisel, were all out by the end of the game. Clark, Hoke and Smith didn't play. Two of those players are on IR. That takes a toll.

Hobbling QB. Although he wasn't visibly limping, his practice time was limited and you could tell that his timing was off.

Ward is done. Get a good pair of dancing shows. Ward looks like a walrus on the field. He is so slow compared the other receivers.

Need a TE. Health is great. He needs a complement. No one is afraid of Saunders.

Young CB's are up and coming. This has to be good news. The Steelers will get an infusion of young CB's who looked pretty good this year. If Ike can't recover from yesterday's perform.

Oline: Rotating line is great for game experience, but in the end it does you in because there is no cohesion. By the second half, you had Gilbert the rookie and Foster left as the only first string starters.

The Oline needs to be fixed. As good as the defense was, they had a bad game and the offense was not there to bail them out. A good oline will give will open up the running game and give Ben more time to throw.

The Steelers are developing some really good running backs. But none of that will matter if we have the revolving line.

Need a TE. Saunders needs to step up next season and prove why he should have been a 1st round draft choice before his college problems.

steelchamp204
01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
It was Tomlins fault that Ben was still injured. He could have rested him the past couple weeks or ATLEAST last week.

Noone is afraid of Saunders because when hes in there all he does is block. Have you seen his college career highlights. The dude can be better than Heath.

I think the Oline did pretty good for the running game atleast but we need a G to keep that middle clean.

franchise3
01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Saunders will be very good for us. We need ILB, CB and safety through free agency or draft. Arians needs to go and our offense would be so much better. I would like for Lebeau to retire too. I don't think that Tomlin is a good coach either but I am aware that he is not going anywhere...

Nolrog
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
The Steelers are a team in transition. From older players to younger, less experienced ones. That transition still has a bit to go. They need to get Steve Austin (bigger, stronger, faster) on both the OL and DL. Our LB corps is still excellent (with the exception of Farrior/Foote who are long in the tooth.) The corners have improved with the young guys, but even they got injured.

We need: major overhaul on the OL. Another playmaker on D. Middle LB and a safety.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-09-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't believe they are done, they just need to change the schemes they been running since the early 90's. In the Draft/ FA We need BA to go,we need a real FB, Safety, CB, and a young OT.LG,ILB, NT...

Destossel
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Luckily the Steelers FO does not have knee jerk reactions like we fans do. Ward and Smith done ? I think so. Keisel, Hampton and Farrior too ? You are talking wholesale changes then. This team had the number one defense despite the Denver game. They had the number one pass defense. They wont change anything in the secondary except Mcfadden perhaps but he did not start anyway.

Keisel, Pouncey, Hampton and Starks are all being evaluated for surgery today by team doctors. Pouncey has been injured since last season so age is not the only factor here. Mendenhall has had two season ended early due to injury and he isn't 25 yet.

Expect continuity like it or not. I would like to see Arians gone but if Lebeau were to retire ( he was on a one year contract this year I believe) then that might be more change than the FO will allow.

StlersGuy
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Our D is getting OLD and I have a feeling we will be in a fight to just finish second in the conference let alone third place. Yes our D is good but age is going to catch up with us and I see Cincy only getting better and Baltimore staying up there. So we really need to look at drafting younger guys and get them ready because I feel injury's caught up with us this year and next I have a feeling it will be worse.

:banging:

coldrolled
01-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Noone is afraid of Saunders because when hes in there all he does is block. Have you seen his college career highlights. The dude can be better than Heath..

This is what i call the Arians Effect..

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2012, 07:39 PM
NEED A NOSE TACKLE!! Go back and look at how long Tebum had to stand back there and wait on Thompson to come across. He just stood back there!!

DBR96A
01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
It was Tomlins fault that Ben was still injured. He could have rested him the past couple weeks or ATLEAST last week.

You don't get over a high ankle sprain in three weeks.

SuperSteelers
01-11-2012, 08:58 AM
A lot of you will not admit it but the defense looked old this season and the offensive line is below subpar. The whole O-line except for Pouncey needs to be replaced with some draft picks and free agents. Redman needs to start with Rashard coming off the bench.

On defense the Steelers need to let Hampton, Smith, Harrison, Foote, Gay, Farrior, Ryan Clark and Timmons go. Time to rebuild and get younger via the draft and FA.

Hampton--down hill
Smith--getting up in age and injury prone
Harrison--looks like he is down hill
Foote--definately down hill
Farrior--down hill
Clark--too slow to play safety
Timmons--disapointment since he was drafted

Flame suit on...let me have it folks.

daubs57
01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
exactly ben shouldnt have played from the 49ers game on. batch is good enough to get us through those games. with a healthy ben things might have been different.

LatrobePA
01-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Farrior, Foote should of never seen the field this year!

Hampton, Smith need to retire!

Tomlin's biggest problem is he doesn't trust the young guys, this method has us about 3 years behind!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2012, 10:50 PM
It's a good thing that Foote did come back though because there was literally no experience behind him other than Sylvester who had a rough training camp and pre season. Having said that his cap hit 3.6 million this year so if he is going to return it will definitely be via a restructure or cut and return for less money.

UKSTEELER
01-12-2012, 06:46 AM
I'd love Farrior and Foote to be shown the door, but I simply don't see it happening, we've got Sly, but he is still an unknown commodity (he should have seen some third down action this year at least) - and then Timmons who we still have faith in, but could still improve aspects of his play.

I see us using one of a first three picks on an inside backer, but he won't see the field unless he lights up camp.

We've got far too comfortable with the likes of Farrior, that needs to change right now.

Nolrog
01-12-2012, 06:50 AM
I see us using one of a first three picks on an inside backer, but he won't see the field unless he lights up camp.

I agree. Those three picks, IMO, should be (in any order based on best player) nose tackel, MILB and OG.

This is the year that we should also look to tap into free agency. Farrior was a free agent pick up. Well, let's go after this year's Farrior as our line backer (and go after a solid line man to upgrade the OLine.)

cmerrifield
01-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Yes, and had Tomlin benched Ben and the Bengals beat the Ravens and the Steelers would have lost to the Browns without Ben, everyone would have been complaining that Ben needed to play. Fans complain no matter what the coaches do. I am not being a homer and saying I dont question anything Tomlin does, but the Steelers needed to win, just in case the Bengals actually pulled one out.

UKSTEELER
01-12-2012, 07:01 AM
I agree. Those three picks, IMO, should be (in any order based on best player) nose tackel, MILB and OG.

Yep with you, . . . when push comes to shove it's our inconsistent offense that is costing us the most, and it's biggest problem (Arians apart) is protecting Ben and ploughing furrows in the run game, so the best Guard available would make the most sense, plug him in at LG, then round two should be NT or ILB.
:helmet:

SuperSteelers
01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
The whole offensive line needs to be blown up except for Pouncey and the whole defensive line blown up except for Ziggy.

elephantman
01-23-2012, 10:12 AM
A lot of you will not admit it but the defense looked old this season and the offensive line is below subpar. The whole O-line except for Pouncey needs to be replaced with some draft picks and free agents. Redman needs to start with Rashard coming off the bench.

On defense the Steelers need to let Hampton, Smith, Harrison, Foote, Gay, Farrior, Ryan Clark and Timmons go. Time to rebuild and get younger via the draft and FA.

Hampton--down hill
Smith--getting up in age and injury prone
Harrison--looks like he is down hill
Foote--definately down hill
Farrior--down hill
Clark--too slow to play safety
Timmons--disapointment since he was drafted

Flame suit on...let me have it folks.

Timmons, although somewhat a dissapointment, should not be let go..he is young and good and under contract...he led the team in tackles last yr and played out of position this yr but would have otherwise

JensK
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Saying Timmons needs to go is insanity imo. He is young, extremely powerful and have played pretty damn well. You have to remember that this year, he was thrown around and played 3 different positions, and he had a d-line which did not create any holes for him. last year, when we had a decent d-line and when he weren't injured he was great.