PDA

View Full Version : Why I Question LeBeau

SteelDad
01-09-2012, 10:03 AM
For the first time in his tenure as DC for the Steelers I am now convinced Coach LeBeau has seen better days and change is needed. Here is why...

Our typical 3-4 defense typically has its CBs play 10-12 yards off the WRs. We are willing to give up catches in front of us as long as we make tackles and will rely on our pressure to get to the QB for any plays longer than that. LeBeau screwed up big time last night. He sold out way to much on the run and left our CBs, guys who play 'off' 90% of the time in one-on-one situations. That is not Ike Taylor's game and he was exposed because he was locked on a guy that was bigger, faster and stronger than he was without much cushion.

The second part of the equation is the lack of blitzing. The last three weeks, teams have blitzed Tebow like crazy forcing him into bad decisions and turnovers. We brought ZERO pressure yesterday in any form and gave him more time to throw he's probably had all season.

Third, why was James Harrison constantly looking inside and getting burned by Tebow to the edge? Teach and tell the man to keep contain and not go for the fakes. That's what the inside guys are for.

The gameplan was flawed from the get-go. Time to turn the keys over to our LBs coach and get this defense back to it's old self again.

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Did we press their WR's at all? It seemed we were playing soft on the outside ones thus getting torched!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
So he has 1 bad game plan and you want to get rid of him?? Granted last night's plan was completly different then most of season,but I can remember many times on this board people wanting press coverage on WRs...be carful what ya wish for ....
If we had played off the WR like we had all season would we have done better? No one will know for sure, but after last night's performance, it looks like he knew what he was doing by playing the corners off the WR and keeping the plays in front of them....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2012, 10:16 AM
I think we were all shocked at the lack of pressure. You were hoping that with the return of Lamarr Woodley that the pass rush would magically reappear when all the starters were back on the field in the front 7. Then Hampton goes out, Keisel goes out, and suddenly there is absolutely no push up the middle at all.

As far as Ike goes, I think selling out to stop the run was the right call initially because Tebow gave almost no indication that he was able to make those long, deep, throws consistently so you focus on McGahee who's burned you in the past and hope your corners and safeties can hold up. That's all well and good until Tebow started to burn them and you would think the adjustments would then come either step up the pass rush or play off in the secondary and look for the interception or bad throw to end drives like Tebow has done all year.

Timmy stepped up, the Steelers did not. The injuries and lack of adjustments by the defense was tough to swallow no question about it. I put the blame on the players as much as coaches.

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Kudos to Tebow and the Broncos. Here's a QB that was more than written off in this game then he goes off on the leagues "#1" ranked defense, congrats to them and Fox, IMO he deserves a ton of credit too!!

steelersbabex25
01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
I have another reason: prevent defense. He has no idea when to use it. This ain't the 1970s no more old man. You gotta defend against the pass somehow.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
So he has 1 bad game plan and you want to get rid of him?? Granted last night's plan was completly different then most of season,but I can remember many times on this board people wanting press coverage on WRs...be carful what ya wish for ....
If we had played off the WR like we had all season would we have done better? No one will know for sure, but after last night's performance, it looks like he knew what he was doing by playing the corners off the WR and keeping the plays in front of them....

It isn't just one game. He's been losing it more and more with each game ever since the legendary 09 season.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I think too often the Steelers defending the pass the way they do brings criticism. The bend/don't break mentality usually serves them well but teams with high powered offenses are taking advantage of it. It's not that the 34 is obsolete, look what Texans have done with Wade Philips, taking over that team and turning them around.

I have no right grounds to question Lebeau's wisdom and defensive savy. I do question the talent on defense and the lack of players stepping up. Perhaps the injuries were just too much to bear this year. After all with virtually no defensive line left the 34 just doesn't work, especially with corners that are mostly just above average at best.

Kudos to Tebow and the Broncos. Here's a QB that was more than written off in this game then he goes off on the leagues "#1" ranked defense, congrats to them and Fox, IMO he deserves a ton of credit too!!

#1 ranked defense is debatable but still your point is well heard. He didn't give up and even after a bad first quarter he came back and kept fighting. The Broncos exploited the Steelers weakness of injuries on the defense and poor offensive line play.

SteelDad
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I am not suggesting we be in tight coverage at all. I am saying that whether you are tight or 12 yards off, we are going to get burnt if we have ZERO help from the safety because they were too busy inside the box. That's not how our CBs play and then all of the sudden we expect them to play that way in the playoffs? Dumb.

As far as LeBeau and one game... The only game he coached the team up this year well in my opinion was the Pats game. Other than that he was very average this season.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I am not suggesting we be in tight coverage at all. I am saying that whether you are tight or 12 yards off, we are going to get burnt if we have ZERO help from the safety because they were too busy inside the box. That's not how our CBs play and then all of the sudden we expect them to play that way in the playoffs? Dumb.

It happens way too often and happened too often yesterday that a pass goes for a long gain because of no safety help over the middle. It's all fine and dandy that Troy calls his own plays and spends half his time in the box, but when the middle of the field is our weakest spot at far as pass defense goes, you gotta have someone over there to give help to the CBs.

Zachintosh66
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
watch the ot td replay again... troy is jogging.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
watch the ot td replay again... troy is jogging.

Did nobody teach that fool that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line? Why was he running down the middle of the field instead of where Thomas was actually going?

BR7
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Seriously?? One bad game plan??? Who have you been watching all year? How bout his game plan in the Super Bowl last year?

Did nobody teach that fool that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line? Why was he running down the middle of the field instead of where Thomas was actually going?

That irked me as well. His lolly gagging, but the view we saw, in my partial defense of Troy is that he had about as much of a chance of catching him as I did.

franchise3
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
As far as LeBeau and one game... The only game he coached the team up this year well in my opinion was the Pats game. Other than that he was very average this season.

Spot on

steelchamp204
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe if we had a cover safety to compliment Troy instead of Clark. Thats would help our secondary. Im not just talking about lastnights game either. I now clark didnt play but troy needs a safety next to him that can make plays also. Like some more INT's.

Three Four
01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Maybe if we had a cover safety to compliment Troy instead of Clark. Thats would help our secondary. Im not just talking about lastnights game either. I now clark didnt play but troy needs a safety next to him that can make plays also. Like some more INT's.

Why did Mundy come up to the line of scrimmage? If he had stayed back, then it would have been a 30 yard gain instead of a TD.

steelchamp204
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Why did Mundy come up to the line of scrimmage? If he had stayed back, then it would have been a 30 yard gain instead of a TD.

I dont know I had to work and was keeping up with the gamecast. I ahve it recorded on my dvr but I just dont really want to watch it yet. Idk how long it will take me to watch but probably sometime soon.

franchise3
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Inexperience or Dick told him.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Probably in their normal defense Troy is up and he knows Clark is back,but they seemed to want to have both safeties up and the CB out on an island, and that didn't work for us at all. Obviously we have no shut down corners, we have Ike who is the closest to shutdown on this team,and that don't seem to be an answer...

HUNT4SEVEN
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
For the first time in his tenure as DC for the Steelers I am now convinced Coach LeBeau has seen better days and change is needed. Here is why...

Our typical 3-4 defense typically has its CBs play 10-12 yards off the WRs. We are willing to give up catches in front of us as long as we make tackles and will rely on our pressure to get to the QB for any plays longer than that. LeBeau screwed up big time last night. He sold out way to much on the run and left our CBs, guys who play 'off' 90% of the time in one-on-one situations. That is not Ike Taylor's game and he was exposed because he was locked on a guy that was bigger, faster and stronger than he was without much cushion.

The second part of the equation is the lack of blitzing. The last three weeks, teams have blitzed Tebow like crazy forcing him into bad decisions and turnovers. We brought ZERO pressure yesterday in any form and gave him more time to throw he's probably had all season.

Third, why was James Harrison constantly looking inside and getting burned by Tebow to the edge? Teach and tell the man to keep contain and not go for the fakes. That's what the inside guys are for.

The gameplan was flawed from the get-go. Time to turn the keys over to our LBs coach and get this defense back to it's old self again.

Also these are Cowards (Bill )schemes they been around since the early 90's untill we change em the results will be the same i'm with u it's time for a change we need a new OC and DC plain and simple:tt02:

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I have come to the conclusion that we need too make changes. The question is, who would replace BA and/or lebeau?

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
I have come to the conclusion that we need too make changes. The question is, who would replace dick and/or lebeau?

LOL!!

Dick - My daughters 4th grade art teacher!

Lebeau - LB coach..

Nolrog
01-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I think we were all shocked at the lack of pressure.

The Steelers have put little pressure on the QB all year long. Why would it be surprising that they didn't yesterday as well?

In contrast, we gave up 5 sacks.

Those are both completely consitent with our performance all year long. I wasn't surpised a bit.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
LOL!!

Dick - My daughters 4th grade art teacher!

Lebeau - LB coach..

Lol oooops.

But seriously ....I don't expect this team to make any changes. We'll be seeing lebeau and BA on the sidelines coaching next year.

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Lol oooops.

But seriously ....I don't expect this team to make any changes. We'll be seeing lebeau and BA on the sidelines coaching next year.

In Tomlins noon presser today he said there will be changes and that is part of the offseason. He did also say he likes continunity, so it's anyones guess at this point!

BR7
01-09-2012, 04:31 PM
In Tomlins noon presser today he said there will be changes and that is part of the offseason. He did also say he likes continunity, so it's anyones guess at this point!

BA will be back, that's what that means.

Goodfrom55
01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Had the Steelers simply played their defense that they played all year, we would be talking about Steelers vs Patriots. You dance with your date, not someone else; Otherwise you get burned.

Well, hopefully the Steelers get healthy, younger, a different philosophy on offense and make a push in 2012.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2012, 07:48 PM
He fell short of saying that both guys will be back when he said he anticipates that but he knows things can change. I would like to think he left the door open but honestly my money is on them both returning. If Lebeau is going to go out, it's not like this.

He's on a year to year contract and has been virtually since he returned to the Steelers as the DC.

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
I propose that Lebeau's schemes can still work but the problem is that we don't get the pressure we used to get on the QB. Especially up the middle forcing the QB to move over to Woodley or Harrison on the edges.

LevonKirkland99
01-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Wasn't Thomas running side by side with Ike. It was ike's job to stop him. He stiff-armed him , and voila!

--- Added 1/9/2012 at 09:18 PM ---

I propose that Lebeau's schemes can still work but the problem is that we don't get the pressure we used to get on the QB. Especially up the middle forcing the QB to move over to Woodley or Harrison on the edges.

Because out Dlinemen are old and washed up?

NYCsteelersfan
01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
BA will be back, that's what that means.

So very sad, but true, unless someone else offers him more money.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Wasn't Thomas running side by side with Ike. It was ike's job to stop him. He stiff-armed him , and voila!

I was talking about Troy.

LevonKirkland99
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I was talking about Troy.

I know you were referring to Troy in your comment. Troy probably wasn't close to Thomas to catch him? I need to watch the last play again.....he's no fool though :)

steelersbabex25
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I know you were referring to Troy in your comment. Troy probably wasn't close to Thomas to catch him? I need to watch the last play again.....he's no fool though :)

Troy was extremely close. And did not even attempt to make a tackle.

At the risk of making everyone watch this again....
4ywHh69CbQ8

steelchamp204
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Man thats painful to watch

LevonKirkland99
01-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Troy was extremely close. And did not even attempt to make a tackle.

At the risk of making everyone watch this again....
4ywHh69CbQ8

Wow, thanks for linking the vid. I'm not making any excuses for Troy, but it looked like he trusted Mundy and Ike to stop Thomas. Do you think Troy wouldve been able to stop him? Ike had a better chance....

--- Added 1/9/2012 at 10:09 PM ---

Man thats painful to watch

Have another IC Light