PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers defense was overrated all year long

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Search your soul, look into your heart and minds SteelerNation and you'll see it was true. The #1 overall defense in statistics but on the field it was a different story. Credit the #1 defense ranking to the Steelers playing teams like the Rams, Browns, Chiefs, and Bengals. Not exactly the kind of offenses that put up 30 or 40 points in a week. You expect them to play well against Quarterbacks like Clemens, McCoy, and Dalton. Teams that also have a lack luster running game, so you expect the Steelers defense to stop that run.

Has the secondary improved, sure they have. Ike Taylor had his best year but had his worst game today. Will Gay was probably the most improved player on the team but he looked like the guy we saw last year at times today. Ryan Clark not being in the game was a bigger loss than we would have liked to think. Ryan Mundy is a capable, solid, Safety and he made some plays today, including 4 Tackles and 2 Forced Fumbles. However in a situation where Ike Taylor was probably expecting help, on the last play Mundy was as out of position as Taylor was.

The injuries on the front 7 were ultimately too much to overcome. You came into this game already behind the 8 ball all year long after losing Aaron Smith early in the year. They managed to step up to the challenge but then Casey Hampton goes down, Brett Keisel goes down and you end up with 3 healthy defensive lineman to play the last 2 1/2 quarters of the game. The standard may be the standard, but those guys were sucking wind in the 4th quarter and just not able to generate any pass rush.

Lamarr Woodley split time with Jason Worilds to ease him back into action after missing 2 months worth of play with that hamstring. Timmons played well today, but both James Farrior and Larry Foote were unable to keep up and generate any rush much less cover the middle of the field consistently.

You hate to say it, hate to admit it but the truth is the Steelers defense was exposed at various times during the year and today in epic fashion.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Their finest moment was beating Brady but other then that it was a very blah year....I know I always take some flack from some people when I suggest the old man needs to go but he does.........after 2008 the old man should have retired on top to cap a great career......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2012, 10:41 PM
I honestly don't know how they beat Tom Brady and the Patriots. You're right it was their finest moment this season. They played a great game that day, they were inspired that evening at Heinz Field. That was their crowning glory and they haven't been able to duplicate that performance since.

Clevelandsux
01-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Inability to create turnovers. Agreed. This defense was overated. Couldn't stop teams in critical moments. They couldn't get any pressure on tebow.Let him scramble around all game and made him look like a real qb.

Stlrs4Life
01-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Old and slow. Good post. And look back, we played like **** ever since that NE game.

LatrobePA
01-08-2012, 11:53 PM
IMO the whole damn team was overrated! Ben was a dud, NO pass rush at all! Time for change! Clean house Tomlin!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Old and slow. Good post. And look back, we played like **** ever since that NE game.

I would add "out of position and blown off the ball" to that monicker too Dom. Once thing that repeatedly bugged me today about this game was Lebeau's lack of bringing more blitzing pass rush. I understand you're under manned but if the down lineman are holding their own then bring some extra heat. You certainly couldn't have done any worse than you did.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-09-2012, 12:14 AM
The injuries definitely made the difference. the coaching staff was out coached also. It was a culmination of things the added up to this loss.

The number one ranking may have been somewhat of a farce but for 17 games this season they won 12 of them. You don't win that many with out doing something right. Were they exposed at times ,yes ,but to say that the season was a total waste isn't fair either.

Moondog
01-09-2012, 12:23 AM
The defense was missing those game changing splash plays this year, they were down on their sack count and turnovers. The soft schedule is what made them look better than they were.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
The injuries definitely made the difference. the coaching staff was out coached also. It was a culmination of things the added up to this loss.

The number one ranking may have been somewhat of a farce but for 17 games this season they won 12 of them. You don't win that many with out doing something right. Were they exposed at times ,yes ,but to say that the season was a total waste isn't fair either.

Certainly not a total waste. They learned, the hard way, that they need to do something at middle linebacker here opposite Timmons. They learned that the defensive line can be good when healthy but it's clear that with guys like Hampton and Smith possibly retiring, and Hoke's career in question, there is still work to be done.

Bright spots though were that we saw Keenan Lewis and Will Gay drastically improve their game over the course of the year. We saw Ryan Clark adjust his game to be more of a form tackler than a kill shot technician.

We saw that Jason Worilds, while improved, is not necessarily the answer to the future at OLB. We saw that Woodley's contract was well deserved because it was painfully obvious when he was not in there.

To be fair the defense kept the team in games most of the year, and that's a big plus. However the lack of turnovers and sacks for a #1 ranked defense was a ticking timebomb waiting to go off.

coldrolled
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
IMO the whole damn team was overrated! Ben was a dud, NO pass rush at all! Time for change! Clean house Tomlin!

Arians goes first. A new game plan and some of our current players will look a lot better.

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Arians goes first. A new game plan and some of our current players will look a lot better.

I agree 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000%!

Get this fn stiff out of here NOW!

steelspikes
01-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Like a piece of steel, when bent over and over, it eventually breaks. Witness last play in Denver. Like that sportscaster said over the air when Pirates lost playoffs with past ball several years ago: "What a sh__ty way to lose."

steelchamp204
01-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Yea the bend but dont break defense loves giving up points after our offense scores a td. There should be a stat for that "How many points does a defense give up the next opponets possesion after there offense scored the drive before" The steelers probably would rank top 3.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Are any of us going to be shocked if Bruce is back in 2012? I hope not.

On the defense, I firmly believe that they are not completely done. There is young talent emerging and young veterans taking over. Guys like Woodley, Lewis, Timmons, and Hood are in the prime of their careers.

Older veterans like Polamalu, Clark, and Keisel are still at the top of their game. The defense in 2012 will have even more youth as guys like Farrior, Aaron Smith, Hoke, and possibly Hampton will have to decide if they want to stick around. More importantly the coaches will have to make tough decisions.

franchise3
01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Are any of us going to be shocked if Bruce is back in 2012? I hope not.

I will be surprised because his contract expiredand I just can't imagine them offering him a new one. I have a different feeling than the previous years. If they didn't sack him after 9-7 season, I knew they wouldn't after SB loss but this year is different.... at least i hope..

NYCsteelersfan
01-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Search your soul, look into your heart and minds SteelerNation and you'll see it was true. The #1 overall defense in statistics but on the field it was a different story. Credit the #1 defense ranking to the Steelers playing teams like the Rams, Browns, Chiefs, and Bengals. Not exactly the kind of offenses that put up 30 or 40 points in a week.

You hate to say it, hate to admit it but the truth is the Steelers defense was exposed at various times during the year and today in epic fashion.

This is the truth. They were definitely overrated because I never remember a season where there was such a large number of completely uncompetitive teams (might've been because of the lockout combined with teams dogging it for a pick or because they simply knew they had no chance, like the Colts).

However, people really need to also come to terms with the fact that this is a new NFL that is structured to allow a lot of passing and scoring. All the offensive records being broken by quarterbacks shows that that structure is working. So basically, our defense, or any defense, isn't going to be able to hold teams down to two touchdowns or less every game unless the other team's offense sucks.

Honestly, I don't care if the defense changes at all by next season. What I want is for this team's offense to conform to the new NFL and be able to score 20+ consistently. We have a pro-bowl quarterback who is the 4th or 5th best quarterback in the league. A quarterback is the hardest piece to obtain. We have it. We need everything else.

the coaching staff was out coached also.

Fox definitely out-coached Tomlin.

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
No turnovers, no sacks, no QB pressure equals a highly overrated defense! It was boring as hell watching them play!

Watch what the Ravens do to Yates this weekend, it'll be over by half!

NYCsteelersfan
01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
No turnovers, no sacks, no QB pressure equals a highly overrated defense! It was boring as hell watching them play!

Watch what the Ravens do to Yates this weekend, it'll be over by half!

And yet they gave up 20+ to several teams that are capable of scoring like the Cardinals, Titans, and Chargers. They stopped the same sucky teams that we stopped and they finished with the same record that we finished with except they beat our asses twice.

If the Chargers put up 34, the Pats will put up 30+ also in two weeks.