PDA

View Full Version : State of the Steelers

JensK
01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
This should probably not be written before tomorrow due to potential outrages, but this is something which have been bothering me for a while.

Steelers are kind of in a strange spot right now. They have been a dominant force for 10 solid years more or less, but they are now getting very old on defense, and while their offense is filled with talent we cannot put together anything good most of the time. Add to the equation that Steelers most likely will be VERY high above the cap and have a relatively high draft pick compared to our pretty apparent needs, where does that leave us?

There is obviously no doubt in most minds that Bruce Arians has to go. We have so much talent and he just does not get it done for us. Sure, we could also blame poor execution from the players but ultimately it falls back on him, and it has done so for a while. Our offense is sort of build around running the ball without a fullback, before BA decided we should pass it although without editing the playbook, which has left out offense in a strange position. At times it shines and at other times it is borderline horrible. And that does not even include an o-line which can't keep healthy nor block when they are. What should we do here? Also, Mendenhall might not even be back for the season opener, depending on the surgery he is getting. That leaves us quite thin on RB, at least quality-wise.

On defense we are old and teams know what we do. We get pressure from Woodley when not hurt, and obviously not Harrison. That is it though. Our MLB's are forced into the same type of blitz all time time (x-fire) and it simply don't work. We've seen a pretty big drop-off in sacks and pressure from this unit. Then there is our old and pretty expensive front 7. Hampton is old and rather lazy. Aaron Smith is injury prone. Keisel is amazing but old. Harrison is old. Farrior is beyond old. Hood is playing decently, but he is no Aaron Smith at all. Heyward has showed some promise but was not impressive against Broncos. McClendon have been ok, but not more than that. And after that we have no quality depth at all.
Our secondary have been playing well under Lake, but suffers from no pressure and puzzling defensive play-calling at times. Again, this type of defense probably worked 3-4 years ago, but we are seeing pretty much no change in it, other than maybe our OLB's dropping back in coverage more. Is it about time to start questioning LeBeau and whether or not it is time to start looking to Butler?

What should we draft? Should we bring in FAs? Can we even afford to bring in FAs?

Where is this Steelers team going? Obviously, we'll know a lot more in the following months, but I'd like to hear what you guys think about this team and the state in which it is situated.

TheButt
01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
We should make Redman our starting RB and trade Mendy to start with...we could get a hell of a lineman with that.... start there !!!! please.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2012, 08:42 PM
On offense the offensive guard spots need upgraded.....an OT couldn't hurt either......I love our WR's but there is no Calvin Johnson or that type of WR on the roster.....If we had a WR like that it would help the red zone offense out.......Or if we actually had TE's like New England that would boost the offense....I like Miller but he is no Gronk or Hernandez......

On defense its time for the old man to go to the rocking chair.....The ILB spots should be upgraded.......Hopefully if Timmons can just stay at ILB next year it will help him to bounce back to his old self when he use to make big plays for this defense......But Farrior/Foote need to go and Sly is still an unknown at this point.....

get a damn punter and kicker to....lol

Stlrs4Life
01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Nah, for the first time in a while, you can't blame BA totally on this one. Our OL has been ???? all, and I mean all season long. Todays game goes to the Defense, and Ike Taylor.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah most of us are still pretty pissed off right now but there are things that need to be addressed that were an achilles heal for the 2011 Steelers this season.

The middle linebacker position opposite Timmons has to be addressed. I love both Potsie and Larry Foote but neither one is able to get any consistent pressure nor hang with running backs and tight ends. You just need to figure out what you want to do and get some more youth in the middle.

JensK
01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Nah, for the first time in a while, you can't blame BA totally on this one. Our OL has been ???? all, and I mean all season long. Todays game goes to the Defense, and Ike Taylor.

This was, however, not for todays game rather than what we should expect from Steelers from here on.