PDA

View Full Version : Should have let Suisham kick it at the end

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Steeldad and I were talking about this just before Tomlin elected to leave the offense on the field. I realize it would have been a 67 yd FG but the way things were going today in the kicking game why not give it a shot. The 3 man rush was getting to Ben all day, he had no chance.

I know you'd have to kick it low to get the distance but I honestly believe you give him the shot and tell your guys to be ready in case it's blocked. The chances of you making a hail mary are not any better, with no timeouts left and :03 seconds.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree....another Tomlin boner right there......

steelersbabex25
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
If there's ever a place to let your kicker try a long field goal, it's at that stadium. The risks would not have outweighed the benefits in that case. So dumb to not even let him attempt it. Especially when he was money all day.

JensK
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
We should have had an oline who could pick up 3 guys rushing. Imagine that lol

steelersbabex25
01-08-2012, 09:19 PM
We should have had an oline who could pick up 3 guys rushing. Imagine that lol

If you're referring to the last play in regulation, the Broncos did blitz on that. They rushed 5.

Dee Mca
01-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Also with the fact the officials rarely ever call defense PI on those hail mary's. Kicking it would have been the best bet.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2012, 09:20 PM
I just sit here, right after the game, completely dumb founded that you don't give him a shot. The air is thin, both kickers were booting every kickoff into the endzone every time. Maybe he sets the NFL record and you win the game. Maybe he misses it and you go to over time.

Based on the lack of protection by the line, I don't understand the logic in not trying it..I seriously don't!

JensK
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
If you're referring to the last play in regulation, the Broncos did blitz on that. They rushed 5.

To be perfectly fair, I think they did bring 4 rather than 5 but that does not really matter. Also, the problem to me was not so much the last play rather than the 2 before that, where they only brought 3.

steelersbabex25
01-08-2012, 09:25 PM
To be perfectly fair, I think they did bring 4 rather than 5 but that does not really matter. Also, the problem to me was not so much the last play rather than the 2 before that, where they only brought 3.

Touche.

SteelDad
01-08-2012, 09:29 PM
For the record I was against trying the 67 yarder. Of course I would have never dreames BR would get sacked on a hail mary attempt either.

Yes Sushi was killing it on kickoffs but I was too worried about it being blocked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-08-2012, 09:31 PM
For the record I was against trying the 67 yarder. Of course I would have never dreames BR would get sacked on a hail mary attempt either.

Yes Sushi was killing it on kickoffs but I was too worried about it being blocked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

We lost anyway. So he shoulda gone for it. The game was lost on a coin toss. So, the win woulda been a 50/50 deal. Furthermore Denver ain't goin to the Super Bowl.

LatrobePA
01-08-2012, 09:40 PM
No Tomlin should of called a timeout instead of allowing Ben to **** away 15 seconds!

steelersbabex25
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
No Tomlin should of called a timeout instead of allowing Ben to **** away 15 seconds!

That whole time I thought Tomlin was gonna call a timeout...this was me:

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING. WHAT ARE YOU DOING. WHY IS THE CLOCK STILL RUNNING. WHY HAVENT YOU CALLED A TIMEOUT YET. WHAT ARE YOU DOING. CALL A TIMEOUT."

And then Ben gets up and leisurly calls a timeout. What were you doing over there on the sideline when this was all going on Tomlin? Enjoying some tea and crumpets? For ****s sake.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2012, 10:04 PM
In a perfect world you're offensive line holds off a 3 man rush and you're receivers maybe get a hail mary lucky break. The way they were playing I just have a hard time thinking you don't take a shot, if there was ever a time, it's then in that atmosphere.

Clevelandsux
01-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Ya and had it blocked and returned for a td. 67 yards? The longest in history was 63 yards.

--- Added 1/8/2012 at 08:57 PM ---

They had horrible clock management on that last drive. I blame that on Ben. They wasted a minute and a half. You can't depend on ot.

SteelerCountry58
01-08-2012, 11:11 PM
LMAO. Suisham has trouble with 37 yarders most games. 67 yards?:lol:
They needed to make PLAYS in order to give him somewhat of a shot.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2012, 11:11 PM
That whole time I thought Tomlin was gonna call a timeout...this was me:

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING. WHAT ARE YOU DOING. WHY IS THE CLOCK STILL RUNNING. WHY HAVENT YOU CALLED A TIMEOUT YET. WHAT ARE YOU DOING. CALL A TIMEOUT."

And then Ben gets up and leisurly calls a timeout. What were you doing over there on the sideline when this was all going on Tomlin? Enjoying some tea and crumpets? For ****s sake.

forget about the time out but just spike the ****ing ball.....:lol: if you're worried about saving time outs....Ben has had his head up his *** a few times this year in those situations.....

steelersbabex25
01-08-2012, 11:13 PM
forget about the time out but just spike the ****ing ball.....:lol: if you're worried about saving time outs....Ben has had his head up his *** a few times this year in those situations.....

It was after a sack. Would have taken way too long to get all the bodies up and get to the line for a spike. Ben called the timeout as soon as he got up and there was only 18 seconds left.

SteelCityVoice
01-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Look back to the fumbled snap at the end of the first half. Pittsburgh was near FG range at that point. That was three more points left on the field today by **** poor clock mgt/2 minute drill today.

LatrobePA
01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I watch the games with family and this one almost cost me my last name as I was almost kicked out of the family!! I yelled some things you'd only hear at a gang rape!

LevonKirkland99
01-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Look back to the fumbled snap at the end of the first half. Pittsburgh was near FG range at that point. That was three more points left on the field today by **** poor clock mgt/2 minute drill today.

We lost 11 yards or so on that play.....I have to agree the clock management this season was horrendous by Mr. Tomlin.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM
It was after a sack. Would have taken way too long to get all the bodies up and get to the line for a spike. Ben called the timeout as soon as he got up and there was only 18 seconds left.

I'm not talking about the sack play....I'm talking about spiking the ball period when there was 40 seconds on the clock at least if you wanted to save time outs...Brady, Brees, Rodgers they never have a problem with spiking it and wasting a down......

steelersbabex25
01-08-2012, 11:27 PM
...Brady, Brees, Rodgers they never have a problem with spiking it and wasting a down......

What, do they think downs just grow on trees?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Ben wasted so much time on that final drive period......I can't remember how many seconds were wasted after the Steelers were moving the ball on that final drive after completions....

--- Added 1/8/2012 at 09:29 PM ---

What, do they think downs just grow on trees?

at that point stopping the clock is key.......if you don't want to call a time out spike the damn ball.....how many second were wasted between completions until Ben hiked the ball......really I don't understand how you can't see wasting 10-15 seconds is huge there.....

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-09-2012, 12:15 AM
He wouldn't have made it regardless so this topic is pointless.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-09-2012, 12:32 AM
When the kickers are booting the ball into the net on kickoffs and ya got 3 secs. left take the chance...clock management definitely sucked by Ben and Tomlin. Ben needs to add spiking the ball and throwing it away more to his repertoire...

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 12:37 AM
He wouldn't have made it regardless so this topic is pointless.

Did you watch kick offs? There was a very good chance he'd came close!

LevonKirkland99
01-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Damn it, he shouldv'e let Suisham kick the ball...**** Poor Performance by Tomlin:2cents:

Destossel
01-09-2012, 02:58 AM
Surely you are trolling. Suisam ranked 34th in the NFL. There are only 32 teams ! He has trouble with 35 yarders. His career long is 52. Even Tebow praying to Jesus for him would never have gotten him 67 yards.

Oh....we need a new kicker for 2012 too....

steelersbabex25
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Surely you are trolling. Suisam ranked 34th in the NFL. There are only 32 teams ! He has trouble with 35 yarders. His career long is 52. Even Tebow praying to Jesus for him would never have gotten him 67 yards.

He's the owner of the website. Yeah I'm sure he MUST be trolling. :rolleyes:

LatrobePA
01-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Oh boy, 22 posts and you have it all figured out!!

Zachintosh66
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
no way let him kick it... should have called a better play on first down in order to give him a real shot.

all i could visualize when the annoucers were saying kick it was a blocked fg for a TD...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
by Chuck Finder - Suisham would have kicked from 50s (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16796853)
If the Steelers’ offense reached the Denver 39-yard line, Mike Tomlin said he was prepared to send out Shaun Suisham (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/553825/shaun-suisham) for a game-winning FG try. “We were comfortable anywhere in the low- to mid-50s,” he said. “Obviously, it didn’t develop.” Suisham's career high is 52. Steelers RapidReports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/PIT)

Troyisabeast_43
01-09-2012, 04:47 PM
by Chuck Finder - Suisham would have kicked from 50s (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16796853)
If the Steelers’ offense reached the Denver 39-yard line, Mike Tomlin said he was prepared to send out Shaun Suisham (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/553825/shaun-suisham) for a game-winning FG try. “We were comfortable anywhere in the low- to mid-50s,” he said. “Obviously, it didn’t develop.” Suisham's career high is 52. Steelers RapidReports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/PIT)

The offense just needed basically 10 more yards after the Sanders great catch to get into legit makeable FG range for Suisham. The last 4 plays after the Sanders catch were completely and totally inexcusable. With that being said, I still would have sent him out to kick the FG from 60 plus...

coach
01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Losing this game sucked. Losing it to Denver, who had limped in to the playoffs in what appeared to be worst shape than us (their whole passing game was injured) definitiely sucked. My best guess is that if Shanky was allowed to kick, he would have misssed it badly, or it would have been blocked and returned and we would all be yelling about that stupid decision.

Shanky being asked to kick a 60+........................C'mon man! 2 or 3 weeks ago, I would have settled for 37.

Teams that lose are probably going to be more ruthelss and smart about making decisions like who stays, who goes and who gets drafted. Change will be an upgrade.

Like Latrobe, I said some things to my TV this past season that made my teenagers blush. :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm telling you guys and I stand by this. Why I don't know that it bothers me so much but it does. I just had this feeling that maybe he could have made it. We talked about this on the podcast last night, could you imagine if Shaun Suisham had made that NFL record setting field goal and the Steelers had won? Imagine the story lines on that one.

More than that though, it wasn't such an outrageous possibility for Suisham to bang that one through. Like I said before, he was banging 60 yd kicks with ease and he was kicking off better than ever all day long. Was that coincidence? No it's the altitude and thin air at the stadium. I realize he's lucky to be consistent with a kick inside the 40 but he did make a 45 yd.kick in that game and like I said his kickoffs were the best in his career.

You tell your blockers, hey be ready just in case this one is blocked to jump on that ball and be aware of the potential return should it fall short. That's something special teamers should be aware of anyways.

I'm just saying you never know.

tat2
01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but i don't believe an NFL record distance field goal has EVER been kicked in denver. all this talk about thin air makes it sound like a magic elixir...remember, you still need a good kicker to pull it off.

steelersbabex25
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but i don't believe an NFL record distance field goal has EVER been kicked in denver. all this talk about thin air makes it sound like a magic elixir...remember, you still need a good kicker to pull it off.

All of Suishams kicks were absolutely perfect on Sunday. I believe he had hit like a 45 yarder, right down the middle, with atleast 15 or 20 yards to spare. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he had the leg for a 65 yarder.