PDA

View Full Version : Friday news, 1-06-12

LatrobePA
01-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Friday, January 06, 2012
Lots of news today, prediction

First and foremost today, my thoughts and bests wishes go out to Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson who was burned in a fire in his home in Butler County early Friday morning.

According to sources, Wilson, 50, suffered burns on 30 to 50 percent of his body in the fire, which began in his kitchen.

Thankfully, the injuries are not considered life-threatening to Wilson, who has been with the Steelers since 2007.

Maurkice Pouncey, who along with Troy Polamalu, was named a first-team All-Pro on Friday, will not play for the Steelers in Denver.

He has experienced some swelling in his injured ankle and did not practice at all this week.

Doug Legursky will get the start at center with Chris Kemoeatu at left guard.

LaMarr Woodley, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Keisel and Polamalu will all play.

It's strange, but I didn't think either Pouncey or Polamalu had outstanding seasons.

Don't get me wrong, Polamalu was still very disruptive, even though he only had two interceptions.

But to me, him being a first-team All-Pro – meaning he was the best at his position – seems a bit of a stretch, especially when Ed Reed was on the second team.

Pouncey being named to the first team, however, is a bit more strange. Pouncey's play wasn't nearly as good in 2011 as it was in 2010. He also missed some games.

I know offensive linemen often get chosen based on their reputation, but I didn't see Pouncey as the best center in the league this season.

This week's game at Denver looks like a layup for the Steelers. It seems like a layup for the Steelers.

That probably means it won't be a layup, particularly on the road.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Steelers will win. But it won't be easy.

Outside of the opening loss at Baltimore, the Steelers have played up or down to their competition all season.

This week will probably be no different.

But a quarterback who completes just 46 percent of his passes isn't going to beat the Steelers.

Pittsburgh will control Denver's running game, especially with guard Chris Kuper out of the lineup, and force Tim Tebow into some third-and-long plays.

That will spell doom.

The Steelers offense has struggled of late with Ben Roethlisberger hobbled, but should be good enough against Denver's 20th-ranked defense, which will be playing without safety Brian Dawkins.

Take the Steelers to win, 17-6

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Pouncey got there by virtue of his name and his play last year. You make the pro bowl as a rookie that's saying something, especially at Center. People tend to remember your name because not many think about how many good Center's are in the game today.

Woodley coming back can't be anyting but a huge boost to the pass rush. I'm anxious to see him and Harrison on the field at the same time and really get after the QB. If they play the way we think they will, it could be a multi sack game for both players.

LatrobePA
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Woodley coming back can't be anyting but a huge boost to the pass rush. I'm anxious to see him and Harrison on the field at the same time and really get after the QB. If they play the way we think they will, it could be a multi sack game for both players.

I agree, I hope he puts on a post season clinic like he has done the past few years..

coldrolled
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM
No Troy and No Clark. What happens now?

Mundy and ????

Troyisabeast_43
01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Friday, January 06, 2012
Lots of news today, prediction

First and foremost today, my thoughts and bests wishes go out to Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson who was burned in a fire in his home in Butler County early Friday morning.

According to sources, Wilson, 50, suffered burns on 30 to 50 percent of his body in the fire, which began in his kitchen.

Thankfully, the injuries are not considered life-threatening to Wilson, who has been with the Steelers since 2007.

Maurkice Pouncey, who along with Troy Polamalu, was named a first-team All-Pro on Friday, will not play for the Steelers in Denver.

He has experienced some swelling in his injured ankle and did not practice at all this week.

Doug Legursky will get the start at center with Chris Kemoeatu at left guard.

LaMarr Woodley, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Keisel and Polamalu will all play.

It's strange, but I didn't think either Pouncey or Polamalu had outstanding seasons.

Don't get me wrong, Polamalu was still very disruptive, even though he only had two interceptions.

But to me, him being a first-team All-Pro – meaning he was the best at his position – seems a bit of a stretch, especially when Ed Reed was on the second team.

Pouncey being named to the first team, however, is a bit more strange. Pouncey's play wasn't nearly as good in 2011 as it was in 2010. He also missed some games.

I know offensive linemen often get chosen based on their reputation, but I didn't see Pouncey as the best center in the league this season.

This week's game at Denver looks like a layup for the Steelers. It seems like a layup for the Steelers.

That probably means it won't be a layup, particularly on the road.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Steelers will win. But it won't be easy.

Outside of the opening loss at Baltimore, the Steelers have played up or down to their competition all season.

This week will probably be no different.

But a quarterback who completes just 46 percent of his passes isn't going to beat the Steelers.

Pittsburgh will control Denver's running game, especially with guard Chris Kuper out of the lineup, and force Tim Tebow into some third-and-long plays.

That will spell doom.

The Steelers offense has struggled of late with Ben Roethlisberger hobbled, but should be good enough against Denver's 20th-ranked defense, which will be playing without safety Brian Dawkins.

Take the Steelers to win, 17-6

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

This is a pretty accurate assessment of how I see the game playing out as well. However, the Steelers had better not take Tim Tebow and his lack of ability for being able to throw the football well for granted because if this game is close at the end with the Broncos only being down 4 or 5 points and Tebow has the ball in his hands the last drive it will get extremely nerve wracking. Tim Tebow might not be a great QB but one thing is for sure the guy is a competitor and a winner and he is going to come to play and he will fight hard, and if the Broncos have any glimmer of hope to win this game in the last few minutes he is definitely more then capable of doing so.

The Steelers have survived many low scoring affairs this year on the road against inferior teams such as the Colts,Chiefs,and Browns and barely found a way to pull each one of them out. If that happens again this week facing a guy like Tim Tebow and the magic he possesses in the final minutes of games in the 4th quarter the Steelers luck of winning those close low scoring games could run out...JUMP ON THEM EARLY and dont take your foot off the gas and give Tebow any kind of life in this game going into the 4th quarter because if the Steelers do their odds of losing this game will increase a great great deal...

Goodfrom55
01-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Don't forget, Reed is a Free Safety and Troy is a strong safety. Regarding Woody, I'll believe it when I see it.

I say come out swinging, don't look to set a pace, just go for the kill right away.