PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Kirby Wilson hospitalized with severe burns.....Update: Tomlin expects him to coach in 2012

jpele
01-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Just got a tweet he was severely burned in a house fire, he's the Steelers RB coach.

PITTSBURGH (AP) – Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson has been hospitalized after sustaining burns to his arms and legs in a house fire early Friday morning.

Authorities say the fire broke out around 3 a.m. in Wilson's home in Seven Fields, a northern Pittsburgh suburb. Firefighters told borough manager Tom Smith the blaze started in the kitchen and Wilson suffered "moderate to severe" burns.
Wilson, 50, was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital for treatment. He will not travel with the team for Sunday's wild card game in Denver. Wilson is in his fifth season as running backs coach, joining the staff when head coach Mike Tomlin was hired in 2007.
Steelers president Art Rooney II says he is saddened by the incident and the organization is praying for a full recovery.

Link (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/story/2012-01-06/kirby-wilson-house-fire/52413994/1)

chisteeler
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Having been hospitalized myself for burns, I hope for a full recovery for Coach Wilson.

In a related thought, I also hope that Redman runs like his *** is on fire on Sunday.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Wow the hits just keep on coming for this team. This one though clearly affecting life outside of football! Hopefully he's able to recover quickly.

LatrobePA
01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Get well, best of wishes, this sucks!

DIESELMAN
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Hope he has a speedy, healthy recovery. :yellowthumb:

steelersgal86
01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
prayers out to him

steelersbabex25
01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
:pray:

Goodfrom55
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Not that the Steelers need motivation, but I sure this helps them absolutely blast the Broncos out of the building so Ben and some starters are out of the game by halftime.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201201/20120106wap_kirbywilsonfileweb_500.jpg
(http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12006/1201740-100.stm#ixzz1ihvxoo67)

(http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12006/1201740-100.stm#ixzz1ihvxoo67)
Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12006/1201740-100.stm#ixzz1ihvxoo67) was badly burned in a Seven Fields townhouse fire early this morning.

Firefighters went 141 Jameson Way at 2:42 a.m. and saw smoke and flames from the street. They found Mr. Wilson, 50, burned "severely," according to a written statement from Jeffrey Schueler, director of public safety in nearby Cranberry.

Mr. Wilson went first to UPMC Cranberry and then to UPMC Mercy for treatment, according to the statement, which offered no detail about his condition.
A team source said Wilson has burns on 30 percent to 50 percent of his body, and the injuries are considered serious but not life threatening. No one else was in the house, the source said.

Firefighters from Adams Area Fire District, Cranberry, Callery, Harmony, Zelienople, and South Butler extinguished the fire.

LatrobePA
01-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Not that the Steelers need motivation, but I sure this helps them absolutely blast the Broncos out of the building so Ben and some starters are out of the game by halftime.

Personal life first, football second, but I agree this should make them want to play harder..

North Steel
01-06-2012, 04:32 PM
This is truly getting fu_ked up now.WTF.

SteelerJay
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Speedy recovery, this sucks but personal life always comes first football second, and then on that note your girlfriend third...

being serious though I really hope he gets well and isn't as bad as the media is making it out to be right now!

Goodfrom55
01-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Personal life first, football second, but I agree this should make them want to play harder..

Oh absolutely, hope I didn't imply that I didn't care about Kirby; that would be awful of me to do that. Regarding priorities, the game is not even on the map.

MattyVfromCT
01-06-2012, 07:17 PM
prayers to him and his family. hope he has a speedy recovery. oh and as usual you get some classless pieces of **** from cleveland, etc laughing about this on the day care boards at espn.com...........

SteelDad
01-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Thoughts with Coach Wilson and family. Hope for a speedy return to health.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2012, 10:53 AM
More info this morning.

An early morning kitchen fire left Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson hospitalized with severe burns on Friday as the football team prepared for its first-round playoff game in Denver.

"It's a very unfortunate situation. We're keeping him in our prayers and hope things aren't worse off for him," said linebacker James Farrior, who called Wilson a part of the team's family. "It definitely put things in perspective. Football is not everything. Life is fragile -- that's a proper perspective."

Neighbors said Wilson, 50, was "totally out of it" when they pounded on the front door of his home on Jameson Way in Seven Fields just before 3 a.m. and coaxed him outside.

"He opened the door. All this smoke came out. He was all bloody. He kept saying, 'I'm OK. I'm OK,'" said next-door neighbor Dave Van Atta, 25. "He just had boxers on. His foot was just, like, melted. ... He was in shock. You could tell he was totally out of it.
"I just saw his whole kitchen on fire," he said.

Paramedics took Wilson to UPMC Cranberry, then by helicopter to UPMC Mercy, Uptown, according to Cranberry public safety director Jeffrey Schueler. Wilson's condition was not known last night, but neighbors described severe burns across his arms and legs.

"He walked out himself," said neighbor James McCaffery. "His hands were peeled from here to here," he said, pointing to one of his wrists. "His feet were peeled."
No one else was in the home at the time of the blaze, authorities said. The fire marshal from the Butler barracks of the state police is investigating the blaze and had not determined a cause as of last night.

The blackened hood of Wilson's kitchen stove, a few chairs and a pair of burned doors lay in the townhouse's backyard hours after the fire.

"First and foremost our thoughts and prayers are with Kirby and his entire family," Steelers President Art Rooney II said in a written statement. "We are saddened to hear about this unfortunate situation but we know that he has the best medical care in the country treating him. The entire organization is praying for Kirby to have a full recovery and we will be by his side through this difficult time."

Steelers players were told of the fire at a 9 a.m. team meeting.
"We really don't know what's going on," said running back John Clay. "He's a great guy. He's helped me out in the meeting and stays late to help me with film."
Other players, including Charlie Batch, took to Twitter.

"Our thoughts & prayers are with you & your family Coach Kirb," Batch tweeted.
In Denver, where the Steelers will play on Sunday, members of the Broncos offered thoughts and prayers for Wilson.

"We're all hoping for the best," quarterback Tim Tebow told the Tribune-Review.
Wilson has coached running backs for the Steelers for five years, according to the team. He previously held the same job with the Arizona Cardinals and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A Los Angeles native, he played college football at Pasadena Community College and the University of Illinois before spending two seasons in the Canadian Football League as a defensive back and kick returner.

Wilson began his coaching career in 1985 at Pasadena Community College. He has five children.

"Coach is a smart dude who always wears a smile and motivates his guys," Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey said. "He's that coach that everyone likes. Hopefully, everything will turn out right. He's in all of our prayers. ... Hopefully we'll see him one day soon."

Offensive assistant Harold Goodwin will take over Wilson's duties in Sunday's game.

From the Trib (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_775505.html#ixzz1imgeRK6m)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Statement from Kirby Wilson's family on his condition. (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kirby-Wilsons-Family-Issues-Statement/0f634ff9-7698-445a-846f-82c3bab2b1ef)

Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson remains hospitalized after being severely burned during an early morning fire on Jan. 6 at his home in a Pittsburgh suburb.

Wilson’s family issued the following statement on his condition on Tuesday, Jan. 17:

“Mr. Kirby Wilson remains in critical condition in the Trauma Burn Center at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh. In addition to burns sustained over 45 percent of his body, he has suffered a smoke inhalation injury and will require multiple operative procedures in the future.”

The 50-year-old Wilson, in his fifth season with the Steelers is an original member of Mike Tomlin’s inaugural coaching staff.

Wilson is from Los Angeles, and he played running back and wide receiver at Illinois before playing briefly in the Canadian Football League. He had coached running backs with four different NFL teams – New England, Washington, Arizona and Tampa Bay – before coming to the Steelers when Tomlin hired him in 2007.

Wilson is known by all who work for the Steelers as a man with a ready smile and a pleasant demeanor regardless of the circumstances. As a coach, he is known to his players as a tireless worker and a high-energy guy who is demanding yet fair.

DIESELMAN
01-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Prayers out to him and his family. The burns is one thing but depending on the severity of the smoke inhalation, this could get worse. God forbid.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
At this point his status is clearly up in the air for 2011. Recovery time for this, considering he's still in critical condition, is going to be quite awhile. Once he gets out of the hospital it will be months before he's ready to do anything football related I'm sure.

His long term health is more important, and after this he may just decide to resign. Hopefully that's not the case it I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Airbrush1
01-19-2012, 08:10 PM
our family is sending out prayers for the coach.

More comments about the last game still brewing.

Airbrush1
01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
our family sends out prayers for coach kirby

--- Added 1/19/2012 at 06:17 PM ---

I know that this doesnt go along with your message but pertains to your steel curtain photo, I had a couple of team photos from the 70's that I got from the fan club. I wonder what these guys think about the new rules for protecting the defensless players . These men were gladiators, they wanted the thumbs down to be given as they drove their opponents to the ground!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2012, 04:54 PM
It's such a shame, Kirby is fighting for his life right now. Word is from the local Steelers media that he was a top choice as the next offensive coordinator. Obviously his life and well being is much more important but he was going to be in the mix for sure.

connecticutsteel
01-20-2012, 07:22 PM
What happened to not life threatening?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Some better news will be coming out soon on Steelers assistant coach Kirby Wilson, nearly a month after he was severely burned in a fire at his home.
I have been unable to determine the details, just that Wilson's condition has take a turn for the better and his family/hospital/Steelers should have a more positive update on his condition soon.

Wilson, 50, has coached the Steelers running backs since Mike Tomlin was hired as coach in 2007. He was next in line to succeed Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator but then came the accident Jan. 6 in the kitchenofhis condominium in Seven Fields, 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh.

Doctors at the UPMC Mercy burn unit induced Wilson into a coma because of his injuries and the pain. His family released a statement through the Steelers Jan. 17 that Wilson, the father of five who lived alone, remained in critical condition with burns over 45 percent of his body. There has been little news on Wilson since that date.

From the Post Gazette

jnes1216
02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
My thoughts for a speedy recovery!!:pray:

DIESELMAN
03-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Kirby Wilson is up and about walking and smiling according to a Marcus Gilbert tweet!!

@MarcusGilbert88: Coach Wilson looks great, walking and still smiling like always! Should be out soon!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Great news Tom, I saw a tweet from the Tribune guys this afternoon and had it on my list of things to post up but got sidetracked.

Looks like he may be ready to go come OTA's after the draft. For a while there we no idea if he'd even live much less coach again.

DIESELMAN
03-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Great news Tom, I saw a tweet from the Tribune guys this afternoon and had it on my list of things to post up but got sidetracked.

Looks like he may be ready to go come OTA's after the draft. For a while there we no idea if he'd even live much less coach again.

Yes it is great news!! If he keeps rehabbing at this rate, he shouldn't miss a whole lot.

JollyRob68
03-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Great news,Glad he's doing well. WIll keep praying for a speedy recovery.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Mike Tomlin told Steelers.com that special-teams assistant Amos Jones is filling in, but he expects RBs coach Kirby Wilson to return to work this season after sustaining burns in a Jan. 7 house fire. “It's a long and challenging process, but one he proves daily that he is up to. The rehabilitation is going well,” Tomlin said.

-From our friend Chuck Finder at CBS Sportsline (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17748864)

-Great news to hear that hopefully Kirby will be able to coach again this season. It's a shame that the RB's won't have Wilson's expertise this offseason though, especially with Mendenhall recovering from the ACL and so many young backs on the roster.

SnakeEyes43
03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm glad he's tying to come back, but I say take a year off Kirby!

Nolrog
03-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Awesome news. Speedy recovery.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2012, 10:43 PM
This will be an inspiration for the team to rally around this year as well. Seeing him come back after nearly getting killed in that fire, going through all that rehab to return to his family and then the team is nothing short of amazing.