PDA

View Full Version : Time to let Redman run wild?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2012, 01:12 AM
This is the time when we get to see what Isaac Redman can really do. The job from here on out, for as long as the Steelers last in the postseason, is his. He is the man that will carry the load on the ground as the primary 'back in Bruce Arians offense. He's shown flashes in limited action for the last 2 years and with 92 yds. last Sunday and 1 TD he is poised to take over again this weekend against the Broncos. With a less than healthy Ben Roethlisberger, a solid ground game will go a long way to slowing down the pass rush and keeping the Steelers offense on the field and Big Ben's jersey clean.

One of the more compelling success stories in a locker room filled with them once spent an entire day carrying around a football. It was atonement for fumbling in a game.

It didn't happen this week at the Steelers' practice facility, but years ago in Paulsboro, N.J., a Philadelphia suburb where Isaac Redman excelled in football and wrestling at a school that excels in both sports.

"My coach made me do that," Redman said of legendary Paulsboro High coach Glenn Howard. "I don't know what it was supposed to do. It was sitting on my desk in class. It was barely in my hands."

The ball will be in Redman's hands plenty during the playoffs, starting Sunday when the Steelers visit Denver for an AFC wild-card game.

Rashard Mendenhall's season-ending knee injury has thrust Redman into the starting lineup, and the former undrafted free agent is the only healthy running back with significant NFL experience on the roster.

The bruising Redman averaged 4.4 yards per carry this season and converted nine of the 11 times he got the ball on third-and-2 or less. The 6-foot, 230-pounder is adept enough at picking up blitzing linebackers that he will serve as the Steelers' third-down back, as well as their featured runner.

"I'd be lying if I say I'm fine being a backup my whole career," said Redman, who rushed for 479 yards and three touchdowns this season. "Any chance I get I want to showcase my talent, and hopefully somebody here or wherever looks at me and says, 'Man, that guy is capable of being a No. 1 back in this league.' "

That self-assuredness is one reason why no one in the Steelers' locker room is worried that Redman lost two fumbles last Sunday in Cleveland. Coach Mike Tomlin apparently hasn't lost any sleep over the turnovers, either or what they may portend.
"Actually, Coach Tomlin hasn't said anything to me about it," Redman said. "They understand that it's not like it's been an ongoing problem." Read the rest.
(http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_775091.html)

jnes1216
01-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Redman doesn't go down easy and I like that. I think he will be fine in replacement of Mendy. I'm not too concerned about the fumbles if Tomlin isn't. Of course if he fumbles during the game I'll be going crazy. lol

LatrobePA
01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
The fumbles were last week, this is this week. I trust he'll be ready to go!

K Train
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
lol run wild....sure.

oline needs to play lights out cause with redman and clay we have the slowest RBs to the LOS in the league. i like redman as a reciever tho and hes a good pass blocker so im sure BA will call 75 passes a game

Raleigh Steel
01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
i'm not too concerned with his fumbles either, but why is it when mendy fumbles like twice a year many think he has problems in that area but redman fumbles twice in a game and it's no big deal?

i'd love to see us pound it with issac and clay and wear down denvers defense. we need to get an early lead in this and grind them into dust!

K Train
01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
i'm not too concerned with his fumbles either, but why is it when mendy fumbles like twice a year many think he has problems in that area but redman fumbles twice in a game and it's no big deal?
i'd love to see us pound it with issac and clay and wear down denvers defense. we need to get an early lead in this and grind them into dust!

so much truth.

its not a good sign that it gets a little cold out and redman put the ball on the ground twice

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't think anyone is concerned long term with Redman fumbling. He let it go twice last weekend but he's not a fumble machine anymore than Mendenhall is.

Rashard's problem is that when he does fumble it's at the worst time possible in the biggest game. Other than that he's usually pretty solid.

I think there is still a question mark about Redman mainly because he never gets a full games worth of carries on a regular basis. If the Steelers go deep into the playoffs and Redman is running close too or over 100 yds per game, he'll silence a lot of critics.

JensK
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
If he can run against Denver he gets my nod for what its worth. That said, I doubt he can.

steelersbabex25
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
19 carries for 92 yards ain't too shabby..especially when it was in pretty much 3 quarters. Besides the fumbles late in the game he had a pretty good game.

LatrobePA
01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
19 carries for 92 yards ain't too shabby..especially when it was in pretty much 3 quarters. Besides the fumbles late in the game he had a pretty good game.

4.84 average isn't too shabby, I feel pretty good about him..

TampaSteelGirl
01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm so excited to see him start this week....I have been a fan of this kid since day 1~
he's such an explosive exciting RB......he's gonna have a stellar game!

I know the 2 fumbles were bad but so out of character for him.....won't happen again!

GO REDMAN GO!!!! :tt02:

coldrolled
01-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm so excited to see him start this week....I have been a fan of this kid since day 1~

I know the 2 fumbles were bad but so out of character for him.....won't happen again!

He can now prove his place in the NFL. He will play fine. he is a bull...

Now lets get someone to block for him in short yardage. Clay.. maybe... 85

JensK
01-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Redman is many things, but explosive is not one of them. Arian Foster is explosive. Chris Johnson is (was) explosive. AP is explosive. Redman is not explosive. Not saying he is terrible, but he is not an explosive type of running back. He'll get the ball, run to his designated gap and run through it. That is pretty much it. The good thing is that Redman have decent success with our o-line with that style of running since he gets to the gap pretty fast.

SnakeEyes43
01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
oline needs to play lights out cause with redman and clay we have the slowest RBs to the LOS in the league.

I'd rather have Redman be slower and plow through the line then get to the LOS quickly, then dance and spin until he's tackled for a two yard loss...

Haha, but Redman will not "run wild". He's not that type of back. I do have faith that he'll earn the hard yards in short yardage situations and move the chains. That's his role and that's what he'll do.

LatrobePA
01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I'd rather have Redman be slower and plow through the line then get to the LOS quickly, then dance and spin until he's tackled for a two yard loss...

Haha, but Redman will not "run wild". He's not that type of back. I do have faith that he'll earn the hard yards in short yardage situations and move the chains. That's his role and that's what he'll do.

Ditto, Mendy blew his knee out trying to cut, that could of happened at the line with all the 90-0 he does.

I also agree Redman isn't a Pro Bowler, not even close..

steelchamp204
01-05-2012, 03:39 PM
lol run wild....sure.

oline needs to play lights out cause with redman and clay we have the slowest RBs to the LOS in the league. i like redman as a reciever tho and hes a good pass blocker so im sure BA will call 75 passes a game

I dont think Bettis was all that fast of a runner. Not all the fastest runners in the NFL are great lmfao. If BA calls 75 passes we will lose. Have you seen Ben these past few weeks? He has been awful down the stretch of the season also. Ben isnt gonna put this team on his back to win a playoff game this year. Its gonna take a total team effort. Since week 10 Bens has thrown 6 td's and 6int's, not exactly lighting it up there.

coldrolled
01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Move the chains. That's his role and that's what he'll do.

Redman will Move the Chains... Ben needs to get this idea into his passing game too.

Move the Chains Steelers... Move the Chains... :cope::cope:

Goodfrom55
01-05-2012, 04:15 PM
As long as he and Clay take care of the ball, I like the Steelers to commit to 40 carries for 155 yards and 2 TD's. Still under 4 YPC, but it will be time consuming and it will take the pressure off Ben to make a play on every down. Key here is to stay out of 3rd and long.

steelersbabex25
01-05-2012, 04:15 PM
I dont think Bettis was all that fast of a runner. Not all the fastest runners in the NFL are great lmfao. If BA calls 75 passes we will lose. Have you seen Ben these past few weeks? He has been awful down the stretch of the season also. Ben isnt gonna put this team on his back to win a playoff game this year. Its gonna take a total team effort. Since week 10 Bens has thrown 6 td's and 6int's, not exactly lighting it up there.

Fast Willie Parker..

LatrobePA
01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Redman will Move the Chains... Ben needs to get this idea into his passing game too.

Move the Chains Steelers... Move the Chains... :cope::cope:

"the hole is your home, go home"

steelersbabex25
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
"Are you too good for your home? ANSWER ME!!"

Goodfrom55
01-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Being a good RB in the NFL requires vision, desire, and patience. Speed is nice, but as an NFL RB, it is an overrated commodity.

K Train
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
bettis had the sweetest feet for a RB ive ever seen. redman is not in the same universe as bettis as a runner. he hits the hole hard but he hits it very very slow too

LatrobePA
01-06-2012, 12:51 PM
"Are you too good for your home? ANSWER ME!!"

I love it!:greengrin:

steelchamp204
01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
bettis had the sweetest feet for a RB ive ever seen. redman is not in the same universe as bettis as a runner. he hits the hole hard but he hits it very very slow too

He might hit it slow but you rarely ever see him lose yards which is a huge plus. Mendenhall might be faster but how many times have you seen him hit the back of a linemen fast cause he isnt patient enough to wait for the hole to open and lose yards.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Redman only has had 3 games with double digit carries in his career....Is that correct?.....My biggest concern about Redman is he has never been asked to carry the running the game......when people say Redman never fumbles and those two fumbles are no big deal....But we really can't judge Redman if he is a fumbler or not when he only has been asked to carry the ball 5-6 times a game in his career so far?....Trust me I want the guy to succeed and I hope he runs for 125 yards and two TD's against the Broncos but I just have some doubts until I see him asked to carry the ball 15-20 times a game in back to to back weeks......Rashard had been running damn good as of late and its a huge blow to the Steelers running game but Redman will get his shot now......

--- Added 1/7/2012 at 12:47 PM ---

For the record I find it funny how people are saying Ben was so terrible against the Browns....He didn't turn the ball over and he was money on 3rd down....Factor in his ankle and the wind being a huge factor and Ben played alright against the Browns to me.....Just because Ben didn't have a monster fantasy game doesn't mean he didn't play well....I'm willing to bet Ben has a big game against the Broncos......Anybody care to think that Ben played somewhat cautious against the Browns and was saving it for the play-offs?

steelchamp204
01-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Redman only has had 3 games with double digit carries in his career....Is that correct?.....My biggest concern about Redman is he has never been asked to carry the running the game......when people say Redman never fumbles and those two fumbles are no big deal....But we really can't judge Redman if he is a fumbler or not when he only has been asked to carry the ball 5-6 times a game in his career so far?....Trust me I want the guy to succeed and I hope he runs for 125 yards and two TD's against the Broncos but I just have some doubts until I see him asked to carry the ball 15-20 times a game in back to to back weeks......Rashard had been running damn good as of late and its a huge blow to the Steelers running game but Redman will get his shot now......

--- Added 1/7/2012 at 12:47 PM ---

For the record I find it funny how people are saying Ben was so terrible against the Browns....He didn't turn the ball over and he was money on 3rd down....Factor in his ankle and the wind being a huge factor and Ben played alright against the Browns to me.....Just because Ben didn't have a monster fantasy game doesn't mean he didn't play well....I'm willing to bet Ben has a big game against the Broncos......Anybody care to think that Ben played somewhat cautious against the Browns and was saving it for the play-offs?

Yea the browns game was ok from Ben but he hasnt been on fire either going into the playoffs. Hopefully his anjle will be alot better now and he can put up them Ben like games.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Yea the browns game was ok from Ben but he hasnt been on fire either going into the playoffs. Hopefully his anjle will be alot better now and he can put up them Ben like games.

Ben is a gamer he will be alright.......I have all the confidence he will put it all on the line in the post-season......

LatrobePA
01-07-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm going to stay positive about Redman, I think he'll do good..

steelchamp204
01-07-2012, 03:30 PM

Me too, I think they will limit his carries due not handling the workload of a full time back. So its really up to Clay to step his game up also. I think both backs will do just fine. We need the Oline to be stellar though.:crossfingers:

SteelerJay
01-07-2012, 04:14 PM
I am going to stay optamistic or however you spell it about redmen, he hasnt done anything to make me dout and he hasnt done anything to give me tons of hope either but he will do what he is asked i have faith the o-line will step it up to

steelersbabex25
01-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Nah. Superman does good. Redman will do well. You need to study your grammer, son.

cmerrifield
01-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Nah. Superman does good. Redman will do well. You need to study your grammer, son.

I think helping the Steelers win a playoff game is for the good of all humankind. Redman will do good. :D

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

LevonKirkland99
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM

as long as he doesn't fumble da ball...There is no margin for error with this team at this point, assuming we wanna to the the SB.

Dobre Shunka
01-07-2012, 06:24 PM
If ever a scenario for Redman to do well, it's the Denver game. My fear is he does just that, and we go into the game that follows with a false sense off security in our run game.

I know, one game at a time.

Redman, to whom I once saw our massive center keep up with step for step, really should stay in the backup role. Clay and or the Clay/Redman combo could be very explosive against Denver and the way I would go. I think they're thinking the same way but they see it Redman 1st in that combo and I see it the other way around.

Regardless, I say we beat Denver and these guys should look like superstars.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2012, 07:33 PM
This is the game where all the so called experts are predicting Redman and the Steelers to run well. With Ben's ankle they better be able to run. He can't afford many hits.

Red needs to take advantage of the chance he's got now, Mendy's contact is up after next season. With the team always riding right on the edge of the cap, he can do himself a favor by playing well.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

steelersbabex25
01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I think helping the Steelers win a playoff game is for the good of all humankind. Redman will do good. :D

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

as long as he doesn't fumble da ball...There is no margin for error with this team at this point, assuming we wanna to the the SB.

:duh:

LoE8ZgzaX7A

Real Deal Steel
01-08-2012, 01:28 AM
They shouldn't have IR'd Dwyer so fast.

SteelerCountry58
01-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Redman will be fine. He'll get stronger with more carries.
This is his time to shine and he'll step up. I hope...lol:crossfingers::yesnod::crossfingers:

jnes1216
01-08-2012, 02:11 AM
I have complete confidence in Redman, he will perform up to expectations.