PDA

View Full Version : Could You Blame Brown If He Wants More Money In '12?

SteelDad
01-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Not usually one to jump the gun, but AB has had a phenomonal season. I normally believe players should fulfill their deals in entirety but with the game of football being what it is I could understand him holding out in the summer. Not saying I would like it or approve of it but I can see it happening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
01-04-2012, 08:32 PM
No. Hopefully he'll hold out on asking for money for a while though so we can keep this crew together for as long as possible. He doesn't strike me at someone who would leave for money but who knows.

K Train
01-04-2012, 08:50 PM
i think they will just extend him a year and get him more money for the season while they work on a longer term deal...he would come cheap one more year at least imo

SteelDad
01-04-2012, 09:55 PM
i think they will just extend him a year and get him more money for the season while they work on a longer term deal...he would come cheap one more year at least imo

At the end of the day I was thinking along those lines as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Could you blame him? No of course not. The dude is the team MVP and has arguably been the most exciting receiver on the team especially the last half of the year. He's accomplished something that no one else in NFL has done, 1000 receiving and 1000 return yds.

I would say he'll just sit tight and let the Steelers give him his money. He signed a 3 yr deal so his contract runs through the 2012 season yet. Like K train, I think they'll offer him a nice extenstion, probably sometime before training camp like they typically do with players entering the last year of their deal. Since the only high profile player this offseason is Mike Wallace, they should have ample time to get the guys they want signed to extentions.

elephantman
01-05-2012, 12:18 PM
will wallace, Sanders, and Brown all be in a Steeler uniform in 2 years from now?....If sanders gets healthy next year and performs at the high level he is capable, maybe a possible trade as we likely cant keep all 3?....I had no problem with Wallace, sanders and cotchery as our 1-2-3 ....since cotchery is the Hines ward possession receiver who can go across the middle and is tougher than all our receivers...I see cotchery having a BIG yr next yr

Deviouz1
01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
i hate it when either side starts contract disputes. you signed a contract. thats what you get. youre a player and want a chance and think youre going to be the badboy and a true star? take a low contract for 1 or 2 years and prove yourself. then, once your time is up you can negotiate a new contract. if youre a team rep and you offer a contract, good or bad you offered it, stop whining and let it play out.

does brown deserve a better contract? no doubt. but the "character" thing to do is play out the current one.

LatrobePA
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
He'll be fine... I would expect him to keep it professional!

Ravens1
01-05-2012, 01:31 PM
i hate it when either side starts contract disputes. you signed a contract. thats what you get. youre a player and want a chance and think youre going to be the badboy and a true star? take a low contract for 1 or 2 years and prove yourself. then, once your time is up you can negotiate a new contract. if youre a team rep and you offer a contract, good or bad you offered it, stop whining and let it play out.

does brown deserve a better contract? no doubt. but the "character" thing to do is play out the current one.

I agree 100%.

Analogy in another industry.

Leanardo DiCaprio earned 2.5 million by contract to star in Titanic. After it's huge success and his vaulting to superstardom he earned 20 Million for The Beach.

Daniel Radcliffe earned 1 million for the first Harry Potter movie and 53 million for the final parts 1 and 2.

The point is their salary for the "next" film/contract negotiation reflected their proven worth as part of the "box office" draw.

Do you think NFL players would be willing to negotiate like some actors do to take part of their salary as a percentage of the profits? Or in footballs case, they can increase or decrease their yearly payout based upon performance? I'm sure they would like to see it go up during their contract if their performance merits it, but would they be willing to take the hit for errors, injuries etc...probably too much of a gamble for most.

CowherPower
01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I do not think Antonio will make a fuss about his deal. He was a 6th round pick, he got the money he should get for that deal. The Steelers know he's shown in the first 2 years of his career that he's going to be something special.

The window for receivers to really "get it" used to be about 3 years, now you have guys like Brown, Sanders, AJ Green, etc. all coming in their first or 2nd year and really putting on a show.

He knows he'll get his money and I'm sure the front office will get him signed to an extention before he hits the market.

steelchamp204
01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
He needs more than 1 good season to get alot of money. If he can put back to back seasons together then pay the dude

Goodfrom55
01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
He'll be fine... I would expect him to keep it professional!

Hope so, that's one of the reasons why I hate the nickname "Young Money". To me it screams headaches and problems. Hopefully he is above that nonsense.