PDA

View Full Version : Differences between the 2011 and 2005 playoff Steelers

CowherPower
01-04-2012, 11:17 AM
The first thing you want to look back too as a Steeler fan is probably the 2005 Super Bowl run when the Steelers were a wildcard like they are currently. Other than being a wildcard team, that's where the similarties stop.

Excerpt from an article on the Trib: (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12004/1201115-66.stm#ixzz1iVEePm7r)

The rallying cry began last week and will thunder through this one as well: Remember 2005!

Now that the Steelers failed to overtake Baltimore for the AFC North title and the No. 2 seed and first-round playoff pass that went with it, they have and will recall that they successfully took this route before. In 2005, they became the first NFL team to win three playoff games on the road and then win the Super Bowl.

That path has become fashionable since; the Giants did it in '07, the Packers followed last season.

But these are not the same Steelers, and this is not '05. Far from it. That '05 Steelers team entered the playoffs on a roll, healthy and with an extra emotional mission to get Jerome Bettis to the Super Bowl in Detroit. They won their final four games to squeeze into the playoffs as the No. 6 and last seed.

The current version is staggering into the playoffs, winners of two in a row but highly unimpressive in three of their final four, including two close victories against 4-12 Cleveland and a 20-3 loss in San Francisco. In '05, they won their final four regular-season games by 105-33.

That team was on a roll, playing with purpose, and most of all was healthy. They were making big plays at key points in every game and not missing out on scoring opportunities. This years team is beat up, limping intot he playoffs with an offense and defense that hasn't played a full game together the entire year. That being said, anything is possible in the post season but if the Steelers are going to get to another championship game they are going to be doing it the extra hard way now.

coldrolled
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM
The afccg is only a bronco and raven game away..

We can do this... i say we end up in NE.

Scorp
01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
The only difference is Ben PROMISED Bettis a trip to the super bowl. Ben and the Steelers got him there and they won it. No promises this time around.

coldrolled
01-04-2012, 12:39 PM
The only difference is Ben PROMISED Bettis a trip to the super bowl. Ben and the Steelers got him there and they won it. No promises this time around.

Arians and Wards last hurrah... maybe!!!

mwittman5
01-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Well this year's team has more weapons on offense. In 2005 the WR's were Cedrick Wilson, Randle El, and Hines. Now we have Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Hines. The defense is ranked #1 so we still have a strong D. The main thing hampering this years team is injuries. I'd feel a lot more confident if Ben was close to 90% and able to run around.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2012, 02:53 PM
The afccg is only a bronco and raven game away..

We can do this... i say we end up in NE.

I still think Houston wins Saturday and we end up in New England next Saturday night then go to Baltimore the following week for the AFCCG unless the Texans can somehow pull off a miracle. As I stated in another thread I would prefer playing the Pats next week in the divisional round over the Ravens but if the Steelers happen to get the Ravens first next Sunday so be it. Hopefully the Ravens especially Flacco will be rusty going into that game with 2 weeks off and they wil alsol go into the game arrogant and cocky and thinking just cause they are at home they are going to beat the Steelers like they did in the opener. Ending the Ravens season in Baltimore and seeing Harbaugh whine and cry about it afterwords would be as close to winning the Super Bowl as it would get...

BR7
01-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I still think Houston wins Saturday and we end up in New England next Saturday night then go to Baltimore the following week for the AFCCG unless the Texans can somehow pull off a miracle. As I stated in another thread I would prefer playing the Pats next week in the divisional round over the Ravens but if the Steelers happen to get the Ravens first next Sunday so be it. Hopefully the Ravens especially Flacco will be rusty going into that game with 2 weeks off and they wil alsol go into the game arrogant and cocky and thinking just cause they are at home they are going to beat the Steelers like they did in the opener. Ending the Ravens season in Baltimore and seeing Harbaugh whine and cry about it afterwords would be as close to winning the Super Bowl as it would get...

:plus1:

steelersbabex25
01-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh my god...could you imagine listening to Harbaugh if we beat them in Baltimore? Nothing I love more than a head coach whining about the officials.

steelspikes
01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Major differences: Ben was hungry and healthy, Hines was in his prime(as was Randall-El), team ended the year on a roll, the road was smoother -- Cincy, Indy, Denver.

And most importantly: Wisenhunt was the OC and the offense had some spark. Arians' "leadership" has produced a sputtering, stagnant offense. Only silver lining, if Steelers lose, is that this could be his last game.

steelersbabex25
01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Major differences: Ben was hungry and healthy, Hines was in his prime(as was Randall-El), team ended the year on a roll, the road was smoother -- Cincy, Indy, Denver.

And most importantly: Wisenhunt was the OC and the offense had some spark. Arians' "leadership" has produced a sputtering, stagnant offense. Only silver lining, if Steelers lose, is that this could be his last game.

Cincy and Indy in 2005 is pretty much the equivalent of Baltimore and New England this year. I would hardly say the road was any smoother.