PDA

View Full Version : Is Lamarr Woodley the missing key to the defense?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2012, 10:31 PM
He hasn't played a full game since October 30th against the Patriots when he left with the hamstring injury that has plagued him since. When it first happened he was optimistic about playing the following week, but we all knew it was going to be longer. Then there was hope that he could return to full strength after the bye week. That came and went and save for limited action during that stretch he's been inactive. Jason Worilds has filled in nicely and gotten better as the weeks have gone bye but let's face it he's not on the same level as Woodley is, not many pass rushers are.

The Steelers have the #1 defense in the NFL once again, and #1 against the pass without having the Pharaoh in the lineup. The pass rush has suffered, registering a mediocre 35.0 sacks on the season (tied for 17th overall with the Jets). Normally you expect a Dick Lebeau defense to have at least 45 QB takedowns by the end of the regular season, but injuries have taken their toll on the Steelers linebackers. Since they are the stars of a 3-4 defense, it's a big issue to overcome. The standard may be the standard according to Mike Tomlin, but there is inevitably a drop off to some degree when back up players come in. Perhaps if Jason Worilds had been able to stay healthy all year he could have improved his game quicker and helped the pass rush register more pressures and sacks but that's water under the bridge now. Lawrence Timmons palyed outside for several weeks straight, and while he's got good skills to rush the QB he's not exactly a beast at it just yet. Musical chairs at linebacker has been a problem all year and to their credit the players have done an admirable job filling in at positions they are accustomed to playing.

Harrison has 9 Sacks on the year and 2 Forced Fumbles. Woodley also has 9 Sacks, all of which coming in the first 8 games of the season. The next closest player on the defense is Defensive End Brett Keisel with 3 on the year. We've been saying that, "oh just wait until Woodley and Harrison are on the field together", things will be different. Perhaps that's true and hopefully it is, at least it better be. A top flight pass rush in the post season can be the difference in the game.

LatrobePA
01-03-2012, 10:42 PM
I'd like to think he's the missing piece...

steelersbabex25
01-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Without question. Woodley completes the defense. Not having him has hurt a lot.

LevonKirkland99
01-03-2012, 10:51 PM
What the hell is wrong with that guy. He was hurt since the Patriots game!!!! Can he just suck it up and play!

Just my frustration boiling before we face an 8-8 team

MattyVfromCT
01-04-2012, 04:28 AM
What the hell is wrong with that guy. He was hurt since the Patriots game!!!! Can he just suck it up and play!

Playing through a hamstring isn't that simple. They take quite a while to fully heal. He has tried to play but the hammy has left him ineffective. Andre johnson had the same injury and missed significant time as well

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
01-04-2012, 10:16 AM

It makes me laugh everytime I see someone say, "so and so needs to suck it up and play!"

Like..if it was possible I'm sure they'd be playing.

K Train
01-04-2012, 10:25 AM
they should have shut him down for the regular season and brought him back this week

coldrolled
01-04-2012, 10:41 AM
they should have shut him down for the regular season and brought him back this week

If our offense could score at will and not with whatever it is we score with. a few players could have taken an injury break to heal...

but our #1 defense cant score enough to keep us ahead in the games. if DL could only have the defense score 14 points a game things would be perfect.

Fire Arians....... This is ridiculous already.... Tomlin better man up and hire a good OC this year... Some names are starting to fly around again.

steelersbabex25
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Fire Arians....... This is ridiculous already.... Tomlin better man up and hire a good OC this year... Some names are starting to fly around again.

Names always fly around once we near the offseason. And then guess what...BA is still there the next season. I doubt he's going anywhere. Ben loves him too much and Tomlin doesn't have the balls.

LatrobePA
01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Names always fly around once we near the offseason. And then guess what...BA is still there the next season. I doubt he's going anywhere. Ben loves him too much and Tomlin doesn't have the balls.

If BA was worth a **** wouldn't you think his name would be floating around out there with all these head coaching jobs open? That alone should tell Tomlin something, this guy is a freaking stiff and needs to be let go ASAP..

I get sick of watching the struggles year after year, Ben needs to be coached not the one coaching IMO, quit stroking Ben and fire BA!!

steelersbabex25
01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
If BA was worth a **** wouldn't you think his name would be floating around out there with all these head coaching jobs open? That alone should tell Tomlin something, this guy is a freaking stiff and needs to be let go ASAP..

I get sick of watching the struggles year after year, Ben needs to be coached not the one coaching IMO, quit stroking Ben and fire BA!!

You'd think. But again I say, Tomlin doesn't have the balls. Has he made any big moves as far as personnel changes go since he took the head coaching job?

K Train
01-04-2012, 11:24 AM
offensive line coach lol

steelersbabex25
01-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I rest my case.

connecticutsteel
01-04-2012, 11:26 AM

they basically have except a few plays

on BA we are the lowest scoring team in the playoffs with the exception of denver and that is not acceptable given our talent level

LatrobePA
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM
You'd think. But again I say, Tomlin doesn't have the balls. Has he made any big moves as far as personnel changes go since he took the head coaching job?

He's a VET lover, IMO Farrior, Foote, Hampton should of all been sat, kudos to him for sitting Hines...

BA is a weak link, if this team could score you wouldn't notice the lack of turnovers, sacks etc etc..

LevonKirkland99
01-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Well said...Tomlin wants to keep the same formula of BA and LeBeau. Bruce ought to be fired by Tomlin after the season is over.
Ben should stop loving BA and concentrate on being a great QB that he is.

SteelDad
01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
I wont be surprised if LaMarr is in primarily on run situations and Worilds is in on passing downs. I say this because Wood's biggest issue seems to be getting up the field on the rush.

With Denver looking to run the ball I can see Wood in there to contain and hold the line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

elephantman
01-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I wont be surprised if LaMarr is in primarily on run situations and Worilds is in on passing downs. I say this because Wood's biggest issue seems to be getting up the field on the rush.

With Denver looking to run the ball I can see Wood in there to contain and hold the line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Its good to know woodley hasnt missed practice....as we all know, harrison and woodley have not been on the field together in 9 weeks, and have not been able to pressure the QB in losses to the Ravens and 49er ....if woodley is healthy, we could have a pretty darn scary defense if we play Flacco(or brady) next week...I hope woodley can be rested by halftime against Denver or rest completely and not exasperate his hammy...we NEED these 2 on the field together