PDA

View Full Version : Was Meaningless Win vs. Browns Fatal?

steelspikes
01-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Yea, I know that hindsight is 20/20. But given the devastating injuries suffered by the Steelers this past Sunday, I would like to quote from my previous post of 12-27-11.

"Steelers should take their bye week now, and prep for the wildcard's extra game. Baltimore seems to rise to the occasion in big games and fall flat against lousy teams...so do not expect them to lose vs. Bengals. If they do, great. But Stillers had their chances to secure Division earlier in the season... and failed. Playing hard with reserves vs. Browns could still result in victory. Banged-up players should sit."

Others had also advised this course. Obviously, Tomlin chose to "go for it." And the team payed a very costly price in injuries to Mendy and to the defensive backfield...and may well have severely damaged their chances to win in the playoffs.

Even if the Steelers manage to beat Denver, we'll be facing Pats or Ratbirds next, in a very banged-up state.

Given the stagnant state of our offensive scoring production (we ended the season ranked in the bottom third of the league @ 20 ppg., lowest avg. for a team with a winning record), it's very hard to be optimistic.

We won an ugly battle vs. the Brownies, but the casualties we sustained may cost us the war.

UPDATE: Revelation by Big Ben that he re-injured his ankle vs. Browns strengthens the argument that Steelers should've take a "bye"week. If Steelers fail to go deep in playoffs, there will be a lot of 2nd guessing in the off-season re the their obsession to win the Division against all odds.

More and more it seems that the Browns exacted a spoiler's revenge vs. the Steelers for the McCoy hit by Harrison. With loss of Mendy, injuries to Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen, plus Ben's re-injury, this last game of the regular season could turn out to be the most fateful and costly loss of the year, despite the fact that we won.

LatrobePA
01-03-2012, 11:09 AM
NO... Ben needed to shake the rust off, he was out to lunch early in the game and got better towards the end.

As far as our injured corners go, this should be a good week w/ out them... Get them ready for either Bal or NE..

papabaier
01-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I didn''t like that Ben was playing, still hobbling around. I agree that it may cost us in the long run. That being said, I think we can beat Denver with Batch or Dixon in there. Get a lead with Ben and sit his *** down.:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
It's a tough situation to be in, injuries are a part of the game and everybody has them. The loss of Mendenhall will be significant but overall the rest of the key players don't have anything major going on. Woodley, Sanders, Big Ben are all back.

The Steelers are banged up, there is no doubt, but now is the time to put up or shut up.

StillersSound
01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
You are preaching on deaf ears... I've been saying this since the week before San Fran, they could have taken two weeks off and still been in the same situation as they are now. But nope, went out there and battled for no reason and lost Ben's mobility, Pouncey, Mendy, 2 cornerbacks, some o-linemen and I know I'm missing some more.

Everybody was more concerned with winning the division then making a serious playoff run and now we are stuck with the consequences.

Forged in Steel
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
In my opinion, I think the Steelers will be fine without Mendenhall. As long as Redman doesn't fumble (2 times!) like he did against Cleveland, he should be the starting running back full time.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Tomlin is not a guy who's going to rest players just because. He's got the mindset that if there is something to play for and you are healthy and you can play, then you play. We all knew the chances were remote that the Bengals would beat the Ravens but in the NFL anything can happen so you pretty had to atleast try to go out there and win it.

Honestly the way Ben looked, I'd rather he'd have played against the Browns and shake off that rust then head into the postseason having not played in 3 weeks.

Goodfrom55
01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Honestly the way Ben looked, I'd rather he'd have played against the Browns and shake off that rust then head into the postseason having not played in 3 weeks.

Getting Legs back at LG will help out as well. Between Redman and Clay, they will get it done and Ben shouldn't have to throw more than 25 times. If he does, considering the Broncos are ranked #22 stopping the run, then the Steelers are in trouble.

Heck, IF and I emphasize IF the Steelers get up big, they should get Ben out of there. The only way the Broncos score more than 17 points is if they get a pick 6 and a special teams TD.

steelspikes
01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
The problem I have with Macho MT, who is overall an excellent coach, is that his emotional bravado sometimes seems to override his brain. This never happens with a guy like Belichek,who, (however dislikeable he may be), I still have to rate as the top strategist in the game.

Tomlin's decision-making is sometimes questionable, like the way he left Ben in way too long vs. 49rs.

I agree with StillersSound, Tomlin was so focused on winning the Division, he lost sight of the bigger picture. Just hope that short-sightedness doesn't bite the Steelers in the ***.

Re Broncos, they have a pretty stingy defense. With ailing Ben, scoring is down. Though hoping for a blowout, a tight game seems to be more likely. Think we'll prevail, but more because of our defensive prowess.... as usual.

elephantman
01-04-2012, 11:22 AM
perhaps everyone under estimates the importance of the 1 or 2 seed....a week off and 1 or 2 home games.....you think the steelers would have won 3 road games last yr ...or even 08 ...unless your a young and healthy team playing your best Football (steelers 05), winning as a 5/6 seed is very difficult and TOMLIn knows that!! he took a real good chance to get the 2 seed and so it didnt work out...imagine losing to the browns and the ravens losing

he doesent want to play in Baltimore, can you blame him?, I dont either...I think it could be ugly .....really ugly

and we all knew the Bengels could have won that game sunday

K Train
01-04-2012, 11:25 AM
i dont know how you can think the ravens game is an ugly matchup....the steelers abuse them in the postseason and flacco is terrible under that kind of pressure

connecticutsteel
01-04-2012, 11:32 AM
i dont know how you can think the ravens game is an ugly matchup....the steelers abuse them in the postseason and flacco is terrible under that kind of pressure

Their is overwhelming evidence to backup KTrain's statement

steelspikes
01-05-2012, 03:27 PM

you were out late and got in a fight. You got hurt but had to go across the country to fight some other dude (Denver). Meanwhile your arch-enemy (Ratbirds) is sitting at home waiting for you to show up in his backyard.