PDA

View Full Version : Official Pirates Thread

Pages : [1] 2

SteelerDan43
07-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Sitting at 30-60 I dont care what happens now but something has to change, shake up the whole roster, just try something!!!

Steelersfan
07-13-2006, 10:35 PM
They need to stop paying too much for the old have been players. They have a nice new park now and should start spending some money on real talent.

SteelerDan43
07-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey we increased payroll by 10 million!! But we spent it on washed up bums :mad:

Steelersfan
07-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Exactly! They can't afford to be like the Sox and Yankees. They need to spend wisely and they haven't done that for a long time.

SteelerDan43
07-13-2006, 10:42 PM
At this point, give Wells away for a song and a dance, and play every young guy you got, look at Detroit. They lost 119 a couple years ago and are 30 games over .500 this year. If your going to lose like this at least get the kids in there and let them learn to play as a team. Let them mature. I think we will probably set the record for the most 1 run losses in a season this year.

PITT23
07-13-2006, 10:58 PM
I really feel new ownership is needed if they want to win. Someone like Mark Cuban would put a good deal of money into the team and I'm sure anybody could make better decsisions then we've seen over the last 10 years. It's just sad that some people (my self included) werent old enough to remember a winning season.

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-13-2006, 11:25 PM
On another note though. How is PNC park for the game? Thinking about going out there for a game or two. IIRC there aren't any hotels near PNC is there?

PITT23
07-13-2006, 11:33 PM
On another note though. How is PNC park for the game? Thinking about going out there for a game or two. IIRC there aren't any hotels near PNC is there?
It's the best and most beautiful ballpark out there. If you can make it then I suggest coming. And actualy there is a brand new hotel that is about 100 yards from the stadium.

EDIT: Actually I just found the hotel site..

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/PITNS

It's a nice place and you can see the stadium in one of those pics.

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-13-2006, 11:42 PM
I will hopefully try to get out there in August or September. Thank god for Amtrak.

PITT23
07-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Damn..the Buccos almost pulled off 3 straight but they screwed up in the 11th

SteelerFan87
07-18-2006, 06:01 PM
I was at that game. It was good untill they blew it and the Nats scored 4 in the 11th.

SteelersfaninPhilly, you should go. The stadium is amazing, there is a hotel right by it, and, if you go for a whole series, you just might get lucky and see them win one.

Anyway, I do think new ownership is needed. The Nuttings have to be the worst owners in sports. They don't spend money, they don't care about winning, they make a huge profit, and they refuse to even talk to anyone. They're quite comfortable with using McClatchy as a scapegoat, even though he has very little power now.

I heard the Pirates make enough from revenue sharing to almost pay for their entire roster without selling a single ticket. I have a baseball videogame in which the Pirates' budget is 65 million dollars. I got Ramirez back, and signed a few other people, and my payroll is still below that, at 61 million. If the Bucs spent 61 million dollars, they would have a pretty good team, and they can definitely afford it. Hell, the Nuttings just went out and bought Seven Springs for 100 million!

I think they rotation just needs some time to develop. I was watching the Nightly Sports Call on UPN, and they had the records and ERA of some of the Braves great pitchers back in their first few seasons. They were all the same or worse than the Pirates pitchers now. Tom Glavine was alot worse than Zach Duke. So you have to give the pitchers time. I think the oldest one, other than Wells, is 23 or 24. A couple years, and they'll be great, I think.

Other than that, obviously get rid of Burnitz, Randa, and Jose Hernandez. Then, spend that 10 million dollars on a good, consistent, power hitting right fielder. Someone who won't go into a huge slump along with everyone else when they start losing. I'd like them to get a star, but they won't, so I'd be happy with Jose Guillen. Guillen was crushing the ball at PNC Park last year, he's a pretty good hitter with good power, and he's not bad on defense. And he hasn't had any discipline problems for a while.

PITT23
07-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Anyway, I do think new ownership is needed. The Nuttings have to be the worst owners in sports. They don't spend money, they don't care about winning, they make a huge profit, and they refuse to even talk to anyone. They're quite comfortable with using McClatchy as a scapegoat, even though he has very little power now.

I heard the Pirates make enough from revenue sharing to almost pay for their entire roster without selling a single ticket. I have a baseball videogame in which the Pirates' budget is 65 million dollars. I got Ramirez back, and signed a few other people, and my payroll is still below that, at 61 million. If the Bucs spent 61 million dollars, they would have a pretty good team, and they can definitely afford it. Hell, the Nuttings just went out and bought Seven Springs for 100 million!

Great points, and many people dont realize the Nuttings are the majority owners. I think we really could have a decent ballclub but we've been in a "5 Year Rebuilding Plan" for the last 10 years :confused:

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys. Really looking at September now. Since I some how got NYC and DC trips on the schedule in August.

SteelerDan43
07-18-2006, 10:15 PM
At this point just let the young guys play, let them get the experience.

PS we are getting crushed by Colorado 12-1 in the top of the 7th

SteelerFan87
07-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Great points, and many people dont realize the Nuttings are the majority owners. I think we really could have a decent ballclub but we've been in a "5 Year Rebuilding Plan" for the last 10 years :confused:

It's not even a real rebuilding plan. It's a half-assed rebuilding plan, meant to keep the payroll down, with a few washed up rent-a-players brought in every year to sell season tickets. A rebuilding plan is what the Marlins are doing.

Seriously, I'd be happy with rebuilding every few years if it was like the Marlins and it actually built a team that could be a contender once in a while.

Steelersfan
07-18-2006, 11:44 PM
If they would stop signing all these washed up old farts every off season and used it on keeping the talent we had (Kendall, Giles) we would have a pretty good team now.

PITT23
07-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Oh Jesus...look at Gorzelanny's line...

2.2 Innings
5 ER
5 walks

Im gonna blame this one on the fact he hasnt pitched in 12 days. I'm hopefully going to the game tomorrow to see my buddy play, Cory Sullivan. He's an OF for the Rockies.

Blitzburgh55
07-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Pirates will be good look at the tigers last years worst team the all-star game was in detriot and now there great and the same will happen wit the pirates

PITT23
07-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Pirates will be good look at the tigers last years worst team the all-star game was in detriot and now there great and the same will happen wit the pirates
That would be awesome except for they picked up a great SP (Kenny Rogers) to teach the younger pitchers. We would never make any type of good pickup.

Steelersfan
07-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Not to mention a few other signings Detroit made over the past 3 years. Pudge, Ordonez. And who have we signed?.......lol

PITT23
07-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Not to mention a few other signings Detroit made over the past 3 years. Pudge, Ordonez. And who have we signed?.......lol
Yeah great points.

SteelerFan87
07-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Uh... Jeromy Burnitz, Joe Randa, and Jose "strikeout master" Hernandez.

Steelersfan
07-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Big difference from who Detroit has signed the past 3 years.....lol

PITT23
07-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Can anyone remember the name of that outfielder we signed 3-4 years ago? We paid a shitload for him and he played like crap. He only lasted for a year but I think were still paying his contract to this day.

Steelersfan
07-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Lofton? Stairs? Sanders?.....lol

EDIT* Forgot Mondesi

PITT23
07-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I remembered it was Derek Bell. He batted .173 that season.

Steelersfan
07-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Well there are 5 washed up players we have signed in the past 3-4 years......lol

SteelerFan87
07-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, Lofton, Sanders, and Stairs were pretty good. We just gave them away and got nothing in return. Lofton and Ramirez for Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez? What the hell kind of a trade is that?

Anyway, I think the player you're thinking about is either Mondesi or Derek Bell. Mondesi had family problems and the Pirates let him go, and Derek Bell went into "operation shutdown mode".

PITT23
07-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Buccos win again tonight down in Florida and theyre hot for the first time in what seems like a few years.

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Figures I bet on Flordia.

Steelersfan
07-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Figures I bet on Flordia.

:D I bet on the Pirates! Yes I am crazy sometimes.....lol Now watch them lose the series.

SteelerFan87
07-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Did you see Bay's homer? He crushed it into the upper deck. I heard it was 456 ft.

Steelersfan
07-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Here is the link to the video if you want to see it. Click on Bays 2 run HR under July 20th.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=pit

Koopa
08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
anyone watching the game??? damn i can't believe y'all let roy oswalt hit a home run lol....i love this game, 10-0 astros bottom of the 5th as i type this with my favorite player at bat (lance berkman)

Koopa
08-09-2006, 10:48 PM
sorry for double posting but damn........back to back home runs, huff hits one, and the first pitch to luke scott is a homerun 12-0 still bottom of the 5th

Steelersfan
08-10-2006, 12:24 AM
I hope you feel good picking on a bunch of minor leaguers!

SteelCityMan786
08-10-2006, 12:51 AM
sorry for double posting but damn........back to back home runs, huff hits one, and the first pitch to luke scott is a homerun 12-0 still bottom of the 5th

Don't blame us that our owner is a cheap skate and yours is willing to put out the money for the players neccessary to win.

Koopa
08-10-2006, 12:57 AM
hahahahahahahahaha......we got a cheap *** owner too. that's why beltran is no longer with us. we're just better lol

SteelCityMan786
08-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Well at least he gets guys who can actually help win games.

Steelersfan
08-10-2006, 01:15 AM
The Pirates just trade all theirs away so they don't have to pay them.

SteelCityMan786
08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
The Pirates just trade all theirs away so they don't have to pay them.

Another reason that McClatchy should sell the team, Not line his pockets with the cash his fans are paying to see this team.

PITT23
08-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Great outing by Zach Duke last night going the whole game.

SteelerDan43
08-13-2006, 05:49 PM
We completed the sweep today 7-0 over the Cards that puts us two games over .500 since the All Star Break (15-13)

PITT23
08-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Great game by Chris Duffy and Freddy Sanchez. Looks like he has a great shot at the batting title.

SteelCityMan786
08-13-2006, 08:45 PM
This is beautiful. The Cardinals are falling down falling down.....

Steelersfan
08-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Watch out for Houston again!

SteelerDan43
08-14-2006, 11:59 PM
The Pirates extended the streak to 4 tonight with a win over the Brew Crew 4-2

Steelersfan
08-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Ya. Ya. Lost points on them again!.....lol Glad to see they are playing well again when it is way too late!

SteelerDan43
08-15-2006, 12:12 AM
This type of play would of been great during that ridiculous run to start the season. On another note there was an excellent blurb in the Trib today about how crazy it would be for a player like Sanchez to win the batting title playing on the worst team in the NL. Thank you Joe Randa for getting hurt!

Steelersfan
08-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Well if he wins it he deserves it for playing on a crappy team! All that will happen is he will be gone before he costs too much.

Forged in Steel
08-15-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't know what to do with the Pirates. :mad: :mad: :mad:

PITT23
08-24-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm just amazed how well we've been doing since the All Star break. Our pitching has been spectacular and a hope this continues for a few years. Duke, Maholm, Snell, Gorzelanny, and Mike gonzalez to close it out. Damn, just seems like an awesome core of young pitchers.

FREDDY SANCHEZ FOR THE NL BATTING TITLE!!

Steelersfan
08-24-2006, 01:48 AM
And next year they will trade them all.....lol I can't help but laugh. Whenever they get a good group of players together they sell out.

PITT23
08-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Thats what we can't let happen.

In 3-4 years this lineup will be pimp:

C: Doumit/Paulino
1B: Need a big bat
2B: Jose Castillo
SS: Jack Wilson
3B: Freddy Sanchez
LF: Jason Bay
CF: Chris Duffy (not sure if he can become a great player but he has the potential)
RF: Need another big bat here

And all of the pitchers I mentioned.

SteelerDan43
08-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Thats what we can't let happen.

In 3-4 years this lineup will be pimp:

C: Doumit/Paulino
1B: Need a big bat
2B: Jose Castillo
SS: Jack Wilson
3B: Freddy Sanchez
LF: Jason Bay
CF: Chris Duffy (not sure if he can become a great player but he has the potential)
RF: Need another big bat here

And all of the pitchers I mentioned.

I would say at Catcher you have to stick with Paulino, Doumit is going to be moved to Right Field. His defense is a real liability

Eldred would of been here for 1st next year but his injury makes that iffy as his swing still has alot of holes in it

As far as the young pitchers go, They wolnt trade them next year. They have them all locked up for a few years yet. Its one of the perks of young guys you still own them on that standard rookie contract. Ala Jason Bayup till they gave him the extension

PemPgh14
08-25-2006, 11:25 PM
At this point in the season, who knows, but I think we should try something next year.

SteelerFan87
08-30-2006, 01:17 AM
I think this team has alot of potential, and in a couple of years, they could be really good, with just a few changes.

Starting Pitchers:
Duke
Maholm
Gorzo
Snell
Sean Burnett (He was Zach Duke before there was a Zach Duke)
John Van Benschotten (For a long time he was touted as the organizations #1 prospect)

Bullpen:
Grabow has been consistently good.
Torres is a dependable workhorse.
Capps has had a great rookie season.
Gonzalez is developing into a lights out closer.
Plus, there are alot of promising relievers in the minors, like Jonah Bayliss and Josh Sharpless.

Positions:
C: Paulino is great, and pretty consistent. He's big, and should show some power eventually. Doumit should be a pretty good backup, and can be used elsewhere too as a good bat with some power.

2B:Jose Castillo has the talent to be one of the best 2B in the league. He's athletic, and everyone knows how great he is with Jack Wilson on double plays, and he has alot of power for a 2B. If he continues to develop that, he could provide the power you would normally look for at 3B.

SS: Jack Wilson is one of the best shorstops in the game, IMO. His defense is amazing, and he's a pretty decent hitter who can occasionally be very good.

3B: What can I say? Freddy Sanchez is amazing. Consistent and clutch. Those are the 2 words that describe Sanchez best, and it makes him invaluable to this team. While most of the other guys on the team are prone to bad slumps, Sanchez's version of a slump is only getting ONE hit per game, instead of 3. Not alot of power, but Castillo can make up for that. And Sanchez is great on defense.

LF: Again, what needs to be said? Jason Bay is developing into a premier outfielder. He hits for average and power, he can steal bases, and he plays great defense. The only thing holding Bay back is himself. Sometimes he puts too much pressure on himself, or seems to let things like the All Star game get to him, and make him try too hard to hit a HR every at bat instead of just focusing and just trying to get a hit. This will go away though, as he gets more experience and gets used to the spotlight. When he's good, he's great. A Jason Bay hot streak is a terrifying thing to opponents.

CF: The Bucs have a few options here. Chris Duffy would be ideal, if he can hit like he did last year, and at times this year. He has great speed, and plays phenomenal defense. Jose Bautista has been more consistent than Duffy, and has shown good defense at times, although not as spectacular as Duffy. Bautista also has alot more power, and I think he'll really show it next year. 30 HR is not out of the question for him, I think, if he plays a whole season.

RF: The Pirates don't really have a definite RF. Bautista could play there, if Duffy takes the CF job. McClouth can be a backup there, as well as CF. This is somewhere where the Pirates might want to look at free agency, and hopefully for once bring in a big name. (You know they have the money now).

1B: This is the other position with a question mark for the Bucs. I don't think Nady is the answer there, and Brad Eldred's development seems to have stalled. Doumit could play there, but I'd rather see them go out and get a big name free agent, assuming that Duffy plays CF and Bautista plays RF.

So, basically the Pirates need 1 more consistent, power bat at either 1B or RF, and it would be nice to pick up a dependable veteran starter to anchor the young rotation. With the revenue sharing and the huge number of recent salary dumps, the Bucs should definitely have the financial flexibility to bring in a star hitter and a dependable, Jeff Supan type starter. If they do so, I can see the Pirates competing for a wildcard next year.

Steelersfan
08-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Nice post SF87. I can't argue with much of what you say. The problem I have with the Pirates is they get a great core of guys and then put garbage around them. Then all of a sudden they can't afford the good players and they trade them. I just hope they don't do to this group what they did to Giles, Kendall and them.

Hawk Believer
08-30-2006, 01:33 AM
And next year they will trade them all.....lol I can't help but laugh. Whenever they get a good group of players together they sell out.
Send em to the Mariners! We can give you some underwhelming position players in return...

Steelersfan
08-30-2006, 01:36 AM
Send em to the Mariners! We can give you some underwhelming position players in return...

Don't tempt them!......lol

SteelerFan87
08-30-2006, 02:50 AM
Nice post SF87. I can't argue with much of what you say. The problem I have with the Pirates is they get a great core of guys and then put garbage around them. Then all of a sudden they can't afford the good players and they trade them. I just hope they don't do to this group what they did to Giles, Kendall and them.

Well, I think the team now is closer to being competitive than they were when they had Giles and Kendall. Back then, there were just a few guys who were good, and a bunch of crap around them. Now, all they really need is a good, consistent, power hitter in right field or first base, and they could be a competitive team. I'd also like a dependable veteran starter, but it isn't really necessary. This team has alot of talent, they just need another star to go along with Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez, who's consistent, and can get key hits to win more of those 1 run games, and who won't go into one of those simultaneous slumps that seem to affect everyone on the Pirates at the same time.

I think Bay said it best when he said, "It's like when we need a clutch hit, everyone just stands there and hopes someone else will do it, instead of going out and doing it." If they can get a high profile free agent who can get those clutch hits, then I think that will energize everyone else on the team. We've all seen how the Bucs can suddenly go crazy with hits once someone steps up in a clutch situation, and it's like they all feed off of that. Unfortunately, none of them, except Sanchez, are consistent or clutch enough to do that regularly, so usually they get into those situations, and nobody steps up, and so they don't capitalize on the situation.

By the way, someone who I think would be a good addition to this team is Jose Guillen. He's a power hitting outfielder, which is something the Pirates want badly, and they could definitely afford him. He seems to have gotten over his attitude problems he had in the past, and he's said he'd like to play in Pittsburgh again. Plus he crushes the ball in PNC Park. I remember last year, he had like 4 homers in one series here. He's not my ideal choice for the power hitting free agent I think the Pirates need, but he'd definitely be an upgrade.

SteelerDan43
08-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Ok I'll throw in my :2cents:

Torres is gone after this year, old relievers are a dime a dozen. He really backed up from last years performance.

Snell has shown he is the clear #2 guy if not #1, this year he has far and away outpitched every guy on the team.

Castillo needs to lose some weight and stop swinging for the fences. His defense has been straight up horrible compared to last year, most attribute it to the 15 or so pounds he put on because he wanted to hit for more power. This has obviously been the wrong approach.

Bautista needs to be in the lineup at CF or RF everyday with the other spot taken up by McLouth or Duffy. Bautista is the only one of those 3 that has a real future. If he wasnt that good teams wouldnt of been drooling over him in the rule 5 draft.

Another possiblity is that Jack "I can hit the broad side of a barn" Wilson goes the way of the DoDoo and Freddy moves over and Bautista takes over the hot corner.

Eldred is pretty much are only option at first base, we got rid of KKKraig and then refused to give up anything good to get the Rockies 1B stud. Eldred still has alot of holes in his swing but his progress was haulted to no fault of his own. Not alot you can do about an injury. They made their bed at 1st and now they have to lie in it.

SteelerFan87
08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, Torres has shown he can pitch just about every day, and I think the Pirates like that about him. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him around for another year.

Snell has been great, but I'm not ready to call him an ace yet. I've seen way to many young Pirates starters have 1 great year, and then have everything fall apart. (Perez for instance)

I didn't know Castillo put on weight. I knew Wilson did, but I never heard anything about Castillo. As for swinging for the fences, he has alot of power, and I do think he should keep developing that, but you're right that sometimes he seems to take the wrong approach at the plate. I attribute that to maturity. He just needs more experience and maturity, and then he'll be able to use his immense talent more effectively.

Jack Wilson is a pretty good hitter. Just 2 years ago he had the most hits for a Pirates SS since Honus Wagner, and last year he was screwed up by his appendix. He put on some weight this past offseason to try to get more power, but I think that may have caused his defense to slip a bit. I think he just needs to work on that, and get to just the right weight, and he'll be a pretty good player. His offense isn't too bad for a NL SS, and his defense makes up for any offensive deficiency, plus he's a leader on the team.

As for Craig Wilson, I still don't get why they got rid of him. He can play RF and 1B, 2 positions they lack depth at, he has pretty good power, which they desperately need, and he seems to be a good guy to have in the clubhouse. Plus he hits into the least DPs on the team, and the Bucs have been killed by DPs. Also, I read a stat that measures how a certain player coming to the plate affects a team's chances of winning, and Craig's was 2nd best on the Bucs. Sure he strikes out alot, but he's more likely to get a key hit than to strike out to end an inning, something which cannot be said for Jim Tracy's boy Jose "the Strikeout Master" Hernandez.

I too am dissapointed by the whole Shealy thing. The Rockies wanted relievers, which the Pirates have alot of. And yet they couldn't get a deal done? How could the Royals, an organization that's in even more disarray than the Pirates, work out a trade for Shealy but the Bucs couldnt? The only reliever I would never give up is Mike Gonzales, and possibly Matt Capps.

SteelerDan43
09-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Pirates have the 4th or 5th best record since the All-Star break and the best of any NL Central team in the second half if that gives any hope to anyone

Captcoolhand
09-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Pirates to who?

House of Steel
09-15-2006, 10:33 PM
He is talking about the Pittsburgh Pirates, BASEBALL!!

Captcoolhand
09-15-2006, 10:36 PM
I know, but thats like asking who do you compare one to the o0ther

SteelerFan87
09-18-2006, 02:42 AM
I think he's saying 4th or 5th best in MLB. I see alot of promise from this. I read in the Post Gazette that they haven't lost 2 in a row since the all star break. If that's true, wow. Either way, they have been playing much better baseball lately, and they just swept the Mets. That's something that really gives me hope, the way the Pirates have been fighting and resisting the inevitable. A few weeks ago, they needed 1 more loss to guarantee a losing season, but they refused to lose. Now against the Mets, NY needed 1 more win to clinch their division, but the Bucs swept them. Also, there's a noticible difference in the way they play in close games. Before, they just, as Jason Bay said, would "just sit there and hope someone else would step up and make a play". Now though, they get into close games, and play the way good teams play in those situations, and someone steps up, and they win. Hopefully this can carry over to next year, and maybe we can FINALLY not have a losing season.

Steelersfan
09-18-2006, 02:44 AM
I have noticed some of this too. The Bucs have been playing well since the break. I don't know about having not lost 2 in a row (think that is wrong) but they have played well. Maybe this team just might have a chance to do something next year and the way they are ending this year gives them something to build on.

SteelerFan87
09-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Well, yeah, I'm not sure about the not losing 2 in a row since the all star break thing either. Maybe it was since the trade deadline? I'm not sure. But either way, the Bucs have been playing some pretty good baseball the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully Littlefield will see this as a sign that they are close, and go out and get that consistent power hitter I want, and hopefully the idiot Nuttings will give him the money to do so.

Koopa
09-28-2006, 12:59 AM
did any of y'all see the game??? pretty damn good game....15 innings my 'stros win 7-6.......i hope we continue to beat y'all because we need these to have any chance of the playoffs we are now on an 8 game win streak

Steelersfan
09-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Well it shouldn't be too tough to beat the Pirates! They had a 6-1 lead didn't they?

Are the Cards losing right now?

SteelerFan87
09-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Sorry, but I see a Buccos win tomorrow. First blown save all season for Torres, that's not going to happen again! :bigthumb:

Koopa
09-28-2006, 02:19 AM
you know why it ain't gonna happen??? cause he ain't gonna have no lead to blow lol.........cards came back and beat the padres...that according to the fsn southwest lady saying they rallied to win

SteelerFan87
09-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Yeah Pujols hit a HR late in the game to win it.

As for the Bucs, your astros can bring it! Freddy Sanchez will get a few more hits to help him win the batting title, Bay will hit another home run, and the Pirates will win. You're right, Torres might not get a save, because the Bucs will be winning by too much! :bigthumb:

Friday133
09-28-2006, 11:35 AM
looks like today is going to be a rain out. since the game is important to the astros, will they reschedule it?

SteelerDan43
09-28-2006, 03:27 PM
I believe that was the first blown save by the Pirates all year, also Torres is closing in on Tekulve's games pitched in a year record.

Koopa
09-28-2006, 07:18 PM
told y'all they wouldn't have a lead to blow today.....just ended.....'stros 3 pirates zip

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 07:19 PM
LUCKY KOOPA, PLAIN LUCK.

Koopa
09-28-2006, 07:24 PM
LUCKY KOOPA, PLAIN LUCK.

shutting out someone is luck??? how so??

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Who knows...but you know the Pirates could had beaten them. Well they lost, so the Astros was the better team today. Whoppeeee!!!

SteelerFan87
09-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Well it's Oswalt. That explains the whole thing.

SteelerDan43
09-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Well the history of futility of the Astros is far greater than that of the Pirates so I wouldnt be worried about them winning diddly crap in the next decade or so.

SteelerFan87
09-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Well, they DO go to the playoffs. I would kill for that, even if we got our asses kicked in the first round.

SteelerDan43
09-29-2006, 09:24 AM
hey hey I said history, not just recent history! Historically the Pirates are very very good and the Astros are very very mediocre

House of Steel
09-29-2006, 10:15 AM
The way the Buccos been playing, I wouldn't be at least surprise to see them slide into the playoffs, they've been red hot since the All-Star Break.

SteelerFan87
09-29-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm hoping the good play will carry over into next season. I'm just dying for a winning season. Imagine if the Bucs were in a playoff race? This city would be going crazy. Can you imagine actually caring about baseball once football season starts? :lol:

AZ_Steeler
09-29-2006, 12:17 PM
The only thing that I been follwing for the Bucs is that they don't come in dead last for the entire league! It's looking like that won't be the case and they could even move ahead of the Cubs and finish next to last in their division :bigthumb:

SteelerFan87
09-29-2006, 12:25 PM
I thought we already passed the Cubs?

SteelerDan43
09-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Well we were, right now we are tied for last in the central @ 65-94, but still better than the Devil Rays (98 losses) and the Royals who have reached the 100 loss plateau. If you want to see how much people want the Bucs to win look no further than last year when we were at 30-30 we sold out a wednesday afternoon game, from there we went to Yankee stadium got swept and it all went down the shitter

SteelerFan87
09-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I remember that. People say Pittsburgh is a bad baseball town, but it's really just a town with a bad baseball team. If the Pirates were even .500, let alone a playoff contender, PNC Park would be full every single night.

SteelerDan43
10-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Freddy Sanchez is officially the Pirates first batting champion since 1983 hitting .345 for the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2609543

AZ_Steeler
10-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I saw that too!!! That's at least one bright spot for the Pirates :clap:

The other thing is the Pirates didn't finish last in the Central :tt02: I can't remember the last time they weren't last. Now if the owner can open up his pocketbook and bring in some significant signings this off season the Pirates have something to build on for next year!

SteelerDan43
10-01-2006, 08:57 PM
In 04 we were 5th ahead of the Brewers, 03-4th, 02-4th, 01-6th, 00-5th, 99-3rd, 98-6th, 97-2nd

AZ_Steeler
10-01-2006, 09:27 PM
See they've sucked so bad lately I haven't even really been following them to know how they have been finsihing :( I always check to see where thier at, but when you see them at the bottom time and time again it's hard to stay motivated to keep up with them...

SteelerDan43
10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Ya we generally dig a giant hole then climb out of last with a week to go

Prosdo
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Congrats to Freddy!!!

SteelerFan87
10-06-2006, 12:25 AM
The Bucs have a young core of talented players. I think if they're serious about contending, they should go out and get a good right handed starter, and a consistent power hitting 1st baseman or right fielder.

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 12:59 AM
If they want to compete they need to stop signing all the old washed up players. They could have kept Casey though. He played pretty well for them.

SteelerDan43
10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Except for the extended period of time he was hurt and the salary he had

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 12:48 PM
I didn't think Casey had a very high salary. Do you remember what it was? I'm not sure but just seemed like it wasn't too bad. I could be wrong though.
But yes he was hurt for awhile.

SteelerDan43
10-06-2006, 01:08 PM
just checked it on ESPN, 8.5 million. Next highest on the Pirates is Burnitz 6 mil, J.Wilson 4.9 mil, Randa 4 mil, and Chacon 3.6 mil. Of those Wilson is more than likely the only one that will be around next year

SteelerDan43
10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
1. Jeromy Burnitz 6,000,000
2. Jack Wilson 4,900,000
3. Joe Randa 4,000,000
4. Shawn Chacon 3,600,000
5. Damaso Marte 2,250,000
6. Salomon Torres 1,525,000
7. Jason Bay 1,000,000
8. Victor Santos 500,000
9. Xavier Nady 427,000
10. Jose Castillo 348,000
11. Mike Gonzalez 347,000
12. Humberto Cota 342,000
13. Freddy Sanchez 342,000
14. John Grabow 341,750
15. Zach Duke 335,000
16. Ryan Doumit 333,000
17. Chris Duffy 331,000
18. Ian Snell 330,000
19. Nate McLouth 329,000
20. Paul Maholm 328,000
21. Bryan Bullington 327,000
22. Matt Capps 327,000

Sorry for the sloppy formation but its copy paste from ESPN

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 01:48 PM
just checked it on ESPN, 8.5 million. Next highest on the Pirates is Burnitz 6 mil, J.Wilson 4.9 mil, Randa 4 mil, and Chacon 3.6 mil. Of those Wilson is more than likely the only one that will be around next year

I guess it was a lot higher than I thought. I was thinking it was in the 3 Million range.

SteelerDan43
10-26-2006, 01:02 PM
The Pirates bought out Burnitz's contract for 700,000 making him a FA. There are also rumors circulating about trading Gonzalez and one of our young starters to Texas for Mark Teixeira.

AZ_Steeler
10-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Wow! Sounds like the Pirates are going to me making some decent off season moves this year... and early!! I hope it works out!

House of Steel
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
I hope they do make some serious upgrades to get this team in contention, cause right now, desperation has to be taken over the franchise. It is high time to field a possible Championship team and make the City of Pittsburgh to once again be the City of Champions.

SteelerFan87
11-02-2006, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Teixeira, but I wouldn't trade Gonzo for him. Did Gonzo have a single blown save last year? I dont think so. Put him in a save situation and he's lights out.

Anyway, here's a few free agents I'd like the Pirates to go after:
Aramis Ramirez
Jeff Suppan
Jose Guillen
Sean Casey

Casey is productive, and might be affordable again, Ramirez would give us the power we need, Suppan would be just the kind of dependable starter we need to help stabilize the rotation, and Guillen is a power hitting RF who has expressed interest in coming back to the Pirates.

Prosdo
11-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Aramis Ramirez
Jose Guillen

I liked both of these guys when they were with us years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing them back.

SteelerDan43
11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Well you can forget Ramirez he resigned along with Wood back to the Cubs, I doubt he would of come back to a team that told him he was a center piece then sent him packing anyway. Suppan is one of the top 3 pitchers in FA we dont have an Ice Cube's Chance in Hell at getting him

Here is a list of people who have filed for free agency

NATIONAL LEAGUE

PIRATES (2) -- Jeromy Burnitz, of; Joe Randa, 3b.

ARIZONA (4) -- Miguel Batista, rhp; Craig Counsell, 2b; Damion Easley, 2b; Luis Gonzalez, of.

ATLANTA (5) -- x-Danys Baez, rhp; Brian Jordan, of; Todd Pratt, c; John Thomson, rhp; Daryle Ward, 1b.

CHICAGO (5) -- Henry Blanco, c; John Mabry, 1b; Juan Pierre, of.

CINCINNATI (10) -- Rich Aurilia, 3b; Royce Clayton, ss; Ryan Franklin, rhp; Eddie Guardado, lhp; Todd Hollandsworth, of; Jason Johnson, rhp; Kent Mercker, lhp; Scott Schoeneweis, lhp; David Weathers, rhp; c-Paul Wilson, rhp.

COLORADO (6) -- Vinny Castilla, 3b; Mike DeJean, rhp; Ray King, lhp; Tom Martin, lhp; Kaz Matsui, 2b; Jose Mesa, rhp.

FLORIDA (4) -- Joe Borowski, rhp; Wes Helms, 3b; Matt Herges, rhp; Brian Moehler, rhp.

HOUSTON (5) -- Jeff Bagwell, 1b; Roger Clemens, rhp; Aubrey Huff, 3b; Andy Pettitte, lhp; Russ Springer, rhp.

LOS ANGELES (8) -- Einar Diaz, c; J.D. Drew, of; Eric Gagne, rhp; Nomar Garciaparra, 1b; Kenny Lofton, of; Julio Lugo, ss; Greg Maddux, rhp; Aaron Sele, rhp.

MILWAUKEE (6) -- David Bell, 3b; Jeff Cirillo, 3b; Tony Graffanino, 2b; Rick Helling, rhp; Dan Kolb, rhp; Tomo Ohka, rhp.

NEW YORK (14) -- Chad Bradford, rhp; Mike DiFelice, c; Cliff Floyd, of; c-Tom Glavine, lhp; Orlando Hernandez, rhp; Roberto Hernandez, rhp; cx-Yusaku Iriki, rhp; Ricky Ledee, of; Guillermo Mota, rhp; Darren Oliver, lhp; Steve Trachsel, rhp; Michael Tucker, rf; Jose Valentin, 2b; Chris Woodward, ss.

PHILADELPHIA (8) -- David Dellucci, of; Aaron Fultz, lhp; Alex S. Gonzalez, ss; Jose Hernandez, ss; Mike Lieberthal, c; Arthur Rhodes, lhp; Rick White, rhp; Randy Wolf, lhp.

ST. LOUIS (9) -- Ronnie Belliard, 2b; Gary Bennett, c; Jason Marquis, rhp; Mark Mulder, lhp; Scott Spiezio, 1b; Jeff Suppan, rhp; Jose Vizcaino, ss; Jeff Weaver, rhp; Preston Wilson, of.

SAN DIEGO (13) -- Geoff Blum, 3b; Doug Brocail, rhp; Alan Embree, lhp; Shawn Estes, lhp; Sterling Hitchcock, lhp; Ryan Klesko, 1b; Chan Ho Park, rhp; Mike Piazza, c; Dave Roberts, of; Rudy Seanez, rhp; Todd Walker, 2b; David Wells, lhp; Woody Williams, rhp.

SAN FRANCISCO (11) -- Moises Alou, rf; Barry Bonds, lf; Ray Durham, 2b; Pedro Feliz, 3b; Steve Finley, cf; Todd Greene, c; Shea Hillenbrand, 1b; Steve Kline, lhp; Jason Schmidt, rhp; Mike Stanton, lhp; Jamey Wright, rhp.

WASHINGTON (5) -- Tony Armas Jr., rhp; Robert Fick, 1b; Jose Guillen, of; Ramon Ortiz, rhp; Alfonso Soriano, 2b.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

BALTIMORE (7) -- Bruce Chen, lhp; Chris Gomez, ss; LaTroy Hawkins, rhp; Kevin Millar, 1b; Russ Ortiz, rhp; Fernando Tatis, 3b; Chris Widger, c.

BOSTON (7) -- Alex Cora, ss; Keith Foulke, rhp; Alex Gonzalez, ss; Gabe Kapler, of; Mark Loretta, 3b; Doug Mirabelli, c; Trot Nixon, of.

CHICAGO (4) -- Sandy Alomar Jr., c; Dustin Hermanson, rhp; Jeff Nelson, rhp; David Riske, rhp.

CLEVELAND (2) -- Aaron Boone, 3b; Lou Merloni, 2b.

DETROIT (4) -- Sean Casey, 1b; Troy Percival, rhp; Matt Stairs, of; Jamie Walker, lhp.

KANSAS CITY (3) -- Paul Bako, c; Doug Mientkiewicz, 1b; Mark Redman, lhp.

LOS ANGELES (3) -- Darin Erstad, c; Adam Kennedy, 2b; J.C. Romero, lhp.

MINNESOTA (4) -- Phil Nevin, 1b; Brad Radke, rhp; Shannon Stewart, of; Rondell White, of.

NEW YORK (8) -- Miguel Cairo, 2b; c-Mike Mussina, rhp; Octavio Dotel, rhp; Tanyon Sturtze, rhp; Ron Villone, lhp; Bernie Williams, of; Craig Wilson, of; c-Jaret Wright, rhp.

OAKLAND (4) -- Steve Karsay, rhp; Jay Payton, of; Frank Thomas, 1b; Barry Zito, lhp.

SEATTLE (2) -- Gil Meche, rhp; Eduardo Perez, 1b.

TAMPA BAY (2) -- Brian Meadows, rhp; Tomas Perez, ss.

TEXAS (8) -- Rod Barajas, c; Mark DeRosa, ss; Adam Eaton, rhp; Carlos Lee, of; Gary Matthews Jr., of; Vicente Padilla, rhp; Kip Wells, rhp; Eric Young, 2b.

TORONTO (5) -- Frank Catalanotto, of; Ted Lilly, lhp; Bengie Molina, c; Justin Speier, rhp; Gregg Zaun,

c-filed provisionally pending decision by club on 2007 option

x-potentially eligible due to contract terms

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Anyone think we can get Pierre to take a Pirates contract with all that reduced pay?

SteelerDan43
11-15-2006, 05:23 PM
I highly doubt we can compete with the the Cubs pocketbook, he has to be one of their priority signings

SteelerDan43
11-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Altoona was named the top minor league team in baseball...
Link (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061116&content_id=1741664&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

SteelerDan43
12-06-2006, 10:46 AM
The Post Gazette is reporting that the Bucs are closing in on trading Mike Gonzalez to the Braves for Adam LaRoche. LaRoche batted .285 with 32 home runs and 90 RBIs. He is only 27 and he is good defensively at first something we have never had.

Other players they are talking about include:
Jeff Suppan
Ryan Church
Trot Nixon
Geoff Jenkins
James Loney
Casey Kotchman

We also signed a Cuban defector, Yuslan Herrera who is only 25

SteelerDan43
12-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Good gosh, instead of actually pulling a move in the open market we offer arbitration to Chacon and Cota! Holy Crap is Cota horrible

SteelerFan87
12-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Chacon I don't mind, as long as he stays healthy. But Cota??? Cota has done nothing, AND we've got a ton of catchers! Paulino and Doumit should be our 2 catchers, with Doumit also getting some time at 1st base. Plus we have Neil Walker coming up in the minors. Why would we bring back Cota???

Friday133
12-13-2006, 05:07 PM
looks like another missed opportunity by littlefield, and another losing season.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Good gosh, instead of actually pulling a move in the open market we offer arbitration to Chacon and Cota! Holy Crap is Cota horrible

Cota you got to be ****ing kidding me. This guy sucks. I just hope the young pitching comes around. The Pirates really need a vet to anchor the staff but I don't think Chacon is the answer. I would like for the Buccos to have a .500 season to show some sign that this team is turning the corner. Man 1990-1992 seems like a 100 years ago.

SteelerDan43
12-18-2006, 10:21 PM
The Bucs signed a couple guys today, Cuban defector Yoslan Herrera who is only 25 but hasnt pitched in a couple years but has been doing throwing sessions in the Dominican Republic for teams. And Masumi Kuwata a 38 year old bullpen guy they took a chance on with a minor league contract. The guy actually picked us over the Red Sox and Dodgers.

SteelerDan43
02-01-2007, 07:56 PM
The Pirates signed that right handed vet they had been seeking to be in competition for the 5th spot in the rotation... They have signed Tony Armas Jr. to a 1 year deal

SteelerDan43
02-04-2007, 04:32 PM
The Pirates have signed former Brewer and Atlanta Closer Dan Kolb to a minor league contract... Link (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07035/759323-63.stm)

Not bad, a 32 year old who was an Allstar just a few years ago for only 1.25 million

Troyisabeast_43
02-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I like this Kolb signing too. He is not very old, he has proven he can close in the past with Milwaukee a few years back. He has a very good arm, and at times could be lights out in the 9th inning. If anything it gives the Pirates some depth in the bullpen incase Torres struggles in the closer role. I am really liking this team going into spring this year with the addition of LaRoche to the lineup giving us that left handed power bat at PNC we so desperately needed, and the core young guys such as Bay,Sanchez,Paulino,Bautista,Nady,Wilson,Duffy, etc coming back with a good year under their belt. I really think if the pitching staff with Duke,Snell,Maholm,Gorz,Armas,Burnett does well and this team can keep this lineup healthy all year long they have a realistic shot to compete for a wildcard spot in the watered down National League. I really believe this is the year the Pirates turn the corner and finally compete for a possible playoff spot come September.

kgreen
02-18-2007, 11:06 PM
I think (maybe I am being arrogant), but the Pirates need to build their ACTIVE ROSTER rather then their FARM SYSTEM. Now, they have a great Farm system, but they have not taken advantage of it!!!!:banging:
PLEASE DO SO!!!

SteelerDan43
03-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Sanchez could be starting the season on the DL...

Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2811908)

After last year we all know how important it is to get off to a decent start and having Sanchez on the DL would really hurt

kgreen
03-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Sanchez could be starting the season on the DL...

Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2811908)

After last year we all know how important it is to get off to a decent start and having Sanchez on the DL would really hurt

S***! I just drafted him last night!:banging: :banging:

jasonbay
03-28-2007, 01:55 AM
I have high hopes for the season and and beyond , Did anyone see like a month ago how they solved there potential problem at catcher with Paulino and Neil Walker in a season or 2 with moving him to 3rd. I think we can reach at least 82 wins this season and build off of that momentum going into the season after that.

Blitzburgh55
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Freddy Sachez is on the DL :(

jasonbay
04-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Good thing its only a 15 day DL , his injury isnt that serious right

Dako
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
82 wins would be a great season for me....can't wait to get rid of that losing season streak....

jasonbay
04-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah winning season of my Pirates fan career . Ive been a fan since 98' and want a winning season so bad even if it doesnt get us into the playoffs, arent the Pirates really close the record for most consecitive season without a winning record , when was out last season of having a winning record 93' or something.

SteelerDan43
04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
If we stay healthy we have a chance but we have so little depth if we get one extended length injury we are gonna be in deep trouble. The most important thing is to not get in such a deep hole to start

jasonbay
04-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Zach Duke is falling apart

SteelerDan43
04-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Lets put it this way, if we have Duke giving up only 2 a game we are gonna win a shitload of games

SteelerDan43
04-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Nady is the man, we are not out of it just yet

jasonbay
04-02-2007, 10:16 PM
I never thought we outta of it down 0-2 , it just seemed Duke was getting hit around there for a bit.

SteelerDan43
04-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Way to fight back boys

Stlrs4Life
04-02-2007, 10:50 PM
If we stay healthy we have a chance but we have so little depth if we get one extended length injury we are gonna be in deep trouble. The most important thing is to not get in such a deep hole to start

That is for sure!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Very nice opening win by the Battling Buccos. Bay was clutch in the 10th inning with his go ahead two run homer. So was Nady with his tying homer in the 9th.

As for Duke only giving up two runs in a hitters park was a nice start to the season for him. Especially since he was bombed all spring.

Dako
04-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Good Start to the year......
Kind of nice to start out on a winning note

jasonbay
04-03-2007, 03:34 AM
Nice start to the season lets keep this going Buccos 81 and counting till this curse is over with. Anyone ever think into it ? I mean right after Bonds left we never had a winning record again ...could we be in Barry Bonds curse ? ....anyways Jason Bay need 2 hrs to reach 100 and 3 hrs to pass Jeff King for 20th on the Pirates list.

kgreen
04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Very nice opening win by the Battling Buccos. Bay was clutch in the 10th inning with his go ahead two run homer. So was Nady with his tying homer in the 9th.

As for Duke only giving up two runs in a hitters park was a nice start to the season for him. Especially since he was bombed all spring.

:banana: YES! THEY WON!!! :banana: :banana:

And Jason Bay is on my fantasy team!:banana: :cabbagepatch:

jasonbay
04-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Ian Snell now has a new career high in K's with 11 , Our Pitching which I considered our major weekness is kicking the O in the nutbag.

Dako
04-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Making an 8th inning comeback!!! Hopefully, there will be "No doubt about it"

jasonbay
04-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Going into the bottom of the 9th , could this be :gasp: a 2-0 start :crossfingers:

Dako
04-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Order those playoff tickets now!

two come from behind's in a row..........

Or....get ready for the All Star Break Fire Sale.....could go either way

jasonbay
04-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Ordering the tickets now is premature but hell this is exciting and think about we're just 80 more wins till we break the losing streak.

Dako
04-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Was planning on taking my son on the 4 hr. drive to pittsburgh to see a game this year. Will be a much better sell now (Don't hate him because he's a Yankee's fan....he's only 10 and it's his mother's fault).....

jasonbay
04-04-2007, 11:54 PM
3-0 just a 1/2 inning away , when the last time we started out 3-0 ?

kgreen
04-05-2007, 09:07 AM
3-0 just a 1/2 inning away , when the last time we started out 3-0 ?

I beleive it was 2003, still a losing season, but we started off strong.

Blitzburgh55
04-05-2007, 07:25 PM
3-0 yay

but
Phills 0-3
2 Blown saves

Dako
04-05-2007, 09:00 PM
3-0 and wearing my pirate's hat to school today, asking Orioles' fans what the best team in baseball was.....PRICELESS

I smell .500

jasonbay
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Yeah just 79 more I have a fealing this is going to be a priceless season . Ahh the glory to finally end our losing streak .

rainman
04-06-2007, 04:49 PM
It would be finally nice for the Pirates to give us something to be proud of.
(like the Buccos of old)

Black@Gold Forever32
04-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Man if the young pitching continues to develop like they are then anythings possible for the Pirates. The Pirates have four really talented young starting pitchers. Plus Snell has the stuff to dominate and become one of the top young pitchers in the game.

jasonbay
04-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Maholm is getting roughed up today.

Dako
04-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Not a good outing for Maholm....but still an optimistic 3-1.

jasonbay
04-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Another loss. I think Maholm still has time to develop and im not ready to give up on him because I think he played poorly because he talked himself into playing in the cold effected his pitching alot and really I never did like Armas is there any youngster is AAA they can bring up because Id like that much better than Armas holding down #5 and Chacon I hate as well so please dont suggest him .

Dako
04-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Duke vs. Milton.....put this one in the win column for the bucs......

jasonbay
04-08-2007, 01:35 AM
When's the game, 7 ?

Dako
04-08-2007, 01:38 AM
yahoo says 1:15...which will be good....going to mother's for easter and she can get pirates there.... only get orioles and nats here

also Sanchez is activated....

jasonbay
04-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Thats very good news :)

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Come'on Buccos don't get swepted by them damn Reds today. The Pirates have a tough opening home series with the Cards. The Pirates have struggled against the Cards the past few years. So hopefully they can change that.

jasonbay
04-09-2007, 03:50 AM
4-2 baby , 78 until the losing streak is over

Dako
04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Can't wait until Laroche gets on track.....
When the meat of our lineup gets going....we'll really have something
4-2 with Laroche batting 125 and Bay in at only 240....the best is yet to come......:crossfingers:

jasonbay
04-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Even though we lost today , Snell still pitched a gem. Our offense has been stagnent this year .

Dako
04-10-2007, 12:47 AM
yes....great game for snell
just need a 4 and 5 pitcher
and our offense to get on track

jasonbay
04-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Personally I think Maholm can do well as our 4 spot , well maybe move him back to 5 spot but we def need a new starting pitcher , I never liked the move they did with getting Armas and think they should trade for someone or bring someone up . Hopefully they do something soon.

Dako
04-10-2007, 11:40 PM
4-4 .....but a good game overall
Thought we had this one...
...Need to light a fire under larouche, too.....

Dako
04-11-2007, 04:39 PM
damn....a 9th inning homer.....

jasonbay
04-12-2007, 03:34 PM
4-5 , this cant be happening again wtf , another losing season cant be ....I mean wont it be 15 in row ? ahh we need to light a fire under the plater a$$es.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-12-2007, 03:37 PM
The thing is the starting pitching has been very good so thats good news. The bull pen other then Torres blowing his last two save chances has been good as well. If only the hitting can come around. The Pirates need Bay and LaRoche to get on track quickly.

SteelerDan43
04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
No time to panic yet, its a good sign we have been in every game. There are two things I can promise you from here on out, Torres will not blow every game and LaRoche will hit better than .097. I think we will be fine

Dako
04-13-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm still optimistic about the season....has shown early promise...have not looked inept like they have in years past.

Friday133
04-14-2007, 01:07 AM
LaRoche sucks little dog dick. What a stiff. 0-3 tonight, he's batting a cool .088.

SteelerDan43
04-14-2007, 12:58 PM
He is a notoriously slow starter, he will get it back on track

jasonbay
04-14-2007, 08:49 PM
He better I had high hopes for him and when giving up Gonzalez he better turn out or ima going to be really pissed

jasonbay
04-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Another win , Snell pitched another good game and Torres has 5 svs now and Laroche now has a batting average about .100...lol

Dako
04-17-2007, 01:28 AM
I guarantee you Laroche will at least DOUBLE his current batting average.....

Except for the SF game, we've been competitive throughout....good to have a good feeling about the Pirates...

jasonbay
04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
No doubt by seasons end it will be at least .270 which isnt bad for a power guy just having a slow start .

SteelerDan43
04-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Back to .500 boys!!!

jasonbay
04-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Well we lost today but it wasnt all bad Jason Bay hit 100th career hr , I think he needs like 2 or 3 more to have 100 career with the Pirates

Dako
04-21-2007, 04:51 PM
LaRoche 20 strikeouts, Nady 15, Duffy 12, Paulino 12, Sanchez 11 (in 36 AB), Bay 10, Bautista 10, Eldred 5 (in 17 AB) Going to be a long season if this continues......

Can we pronounce Armas, Jr. as "Not The Answer" for our 5th starter?

I'm very thankful that Snell and Gorzelanny are pitching as well as they are, otherwise, my hopes for a 500 season would be totally shot....already

House of Steel
04-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't see them even coming close. The Pirates are a joke as long as that jackass owner dicks around :cursin: I would like to see them put a competitive team on the field for a change. This is embrassing for the city of Pittsburgh

jasonbay
04-21-2007, 07:46 PM
LaRoche 20 strikeouts, Nady 15, Duffy 12, Paulino 12, Sanchez 11 (in 36 AB), Bay 10, Bautista 10, Eldred 5 (in 17 AB) Going to be a long season if this continues......

I'm very thankful that Snell and Gorzelanny are pitching as well as they are, otherwise, my hopes for a 500 season would be totally shot....already

Yeah Armas is garbage time to bring up a guy from AAA , im sure any of players could do better than 0-2 and 18.90 ERA

Black@Gold Forever32
04-21-2007, 07:58 PM

Great Post Dako....This team drives me nuts with all their strike outs. As for Armas this dude just sucks and he needs to be removed from the rotation fast.

Dako
04-22-2007, 02:44 AM
blown save in the 9th and then a grand slam in the bottom of the 10th.......

:cursin: :banging: :willybs: :willybs: So, how long until football returns????

House of Steel
04-22-2007, 11:53 AM
That game was a joke, Dako. :cursin:

Dako
04-22-2007, 08:21 PM
held on for this one..........although we tried hard to give it away...

now to get a few home victories against Houston....

Prosdo
04-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Let's Go Buccos! You need to get on track!

SteelerDan43
04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Considering how bad we started last year Im not to disappointed just yet

SteelerDan43
04-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Bucs up 3-0 in the 8th

SteelerDan43
04-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Pirates preserve the shutout to get their first win at home 3-0

Black@Gold Forever32
04-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Awesome and thanks dan for the update.

Dako
04-24-2007, 10:42 PM
excellent game for Maholm and the Pirates.....2 more til .500 again....GO BUCCOS

Black@Gold Forever32
04-24-2007, 10:46 PM
excellent game for Maholm and the Pirates.....2 more til .500 again....GO BUCCOS

Snell and Gorzelanny have been awesome so far this year. Now with Maholm and his complete game shut out his era is under 4.00. If Duke can get out of his funk the Buccos could have four really good young starters. Thats nothing put good news. I'm glad to see Bay had three hits tonight. If LaRoche can get his funky *** to start hitting then that would be great. The guy is still hitting under .100. He needs to call Bonds up and ask for some of the clear or the cream.lol

jasonbay
04-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Maholm pitching a great game who would of thought that ..wtg

Dako
04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
TORRES>>>>>>>BLEW ANOTHER F-ING SAVE>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging:

Dako
04-26-2007, 12:59 AM
YAWNNNNNNNNN.......we finally pulled it out!!!!

Prosdo
04-26-2007, 03:51 AM
That game took forever. Nice to see LaRoche hit the game winner.

TEEMONT
04-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Back to .500 today baby!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Back to .500 today baby!

Hell Yea Stillers...If this young pitching keeps up then maybe our Buccos could have a very nice season. I just hope LaRoche starts hitting soon. That would be nice. Memo to Jim Tracy please don't let Torres close anymore. He blows.:lol: I don't understand why they don't use Capps are their closer. That dude has some serious stuff.

Dako
04-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Only 5 wins last year after 20 games....This year 10 wins.......Any chance we can get the schedule changed to play the Astros every day????

SteelerDan43
04-28-2007, 11:26 AM
well we are back over .500! I think the latest we have been at .500 in a long time was 30-30 where we then got swept at yankee stadium but after last years start I'll take it at 11-10. Hell we are only 2.5 games out of first lol

Dako
05-02-2007, 11:03 PM
before that 4 run inning last night I was ready to celebrate "above 500".....what a difference a day makes....12-14............and still no Laroche...

Friday133
05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Adam LaRoche is terrible.

Dako
05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
HOME RUN BAUTISTA!!!!!
HOME RUN PAULINO!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 11:04 PM
HOME RUN BAUTISTA!!!!!
HOME RUN PAULINO!!!!!

Good **** and about time. That bum that was pitching for the Brewers was shutting the Buccos down.

Dako
05-03-2007, 11:19 PM
another fine outing by Gorzelanny (and I thought my last name was bad).....let's hope we can win it for him....

Friday133
05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Adam LaRoche still sucks.

Dako
05-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Adam LaRoche still sucks.

LMAO.....we have had some bad luck lately with who we get to help our team....

FINAL SCORE 4-2 Pirates....and there was noooooooooo doubt aboutit

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 11:47 PM
LMAO.....we have had some bad luck lately with who we get to help our team....

FINAL SCORE 4-2 Pirates....and there was noooooooooo doubt aboutit

Beat'em Bucs Beat'em Bucs.........................Very nice win. Thank God Torres didn't blow it.lol

Dako
05-09-2007, 01:53 AM
wow....a long time since a post.......but 4-3 in 15!!! Great game, only wish I had been able to actually see it. Wilson ends up 0-6 but still BMOC for the game winning sac fly!

Another fine performance by SNELL and Save number 10 for Torres

ONLY 67 more to go!

Dan
05-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Congrats on the game last night, even though I'm not to happy about the outcome lol

Black@Gold Forever32
05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
wow....a long time since a post.......but 4-3 in 15!!! Great game, only wish I had been able to actually see it. Wilson ends up 0-6 but still BMOC for the game winning sac fly!

Another fine performance by SNELL and Save number 10 for Torres

ONLY 67 more to go!

Snell is starting to put it together. Its to bad the Buccos can't hit for him or Snell would have at least 2-3 more wins this year.

Dako
05-09-2007, 11:15 PM
1-0.....ended up on the wrong end of a pitcher's duel......good game, though......

SteelerDan43
05-10-2007, 08:26 PM
wow the Bucs scored more than 3 runs!!

Black@Gold Forever32
05-10-2007, 08:30 PM
About time. Its a shame they lost 1-0 yesterday and Tom got the loss. He only gave up one run and lost the game. Thats just sad. But taking 2 out of three from the Cubs in Chicago was good. Hopefully the bats started to awake for the Buccos today.

SteelerDan43
05-10-2007, 08:44 PM
how our hitting coach still has a job is beyond me

Dako
05-10-2007, 09:54 PM
"The Pirates improved to 10-10 on the road. They didn't get their 10th road win until July 7 last year."....from yahoo....

Gotta love these positive signs......

Dako
05-15-2007, 02:46 AM
Gorzelanny's 5-2, Snell's 3-2, Duke will come around.....Jury's out on Maholm......jettison Armas!

Excellent outing for Gorzelanny...outpitching Willis

nflman
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
the bucs are a good team,they could become a nl central powerhouse if they find there mission piece

Stlrs4Life
05-17-2007, 07:38 PM
The Pirates stink, and Tracy is no manager, last mights game proves it. The players seem to give up already, and it is only May.

SteelerFan87
05-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey, look out everyone! Adam LaRoche is batting over .200! :lol:

kgreen
05-19-2007, 10:37 PM
I wish this team would quit sucking so bad. Find a new maneger. Get some offense!

Dako
05-19-2007, 10:40 PM
blew a 7-1 lead.....damnit

Dako
05-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I was hoping to be into Pirates baseball at least until Pittsburgh's annual 4th of July fire sale of talent, but this past week has just sucked the enthusiasm out of me.......

Dako
05-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Hats off to Chacon for a fine outing 10Ks and 3 hits over 7 innings......what an improvement over ARMLESS...ahem....I meant Armas

Yet another excellent pitching effort spoiled by the relievers....rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

SteelerFan87
06-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Here are some changes I want made.

1. Jose Castillo should be used as a defensive replacement in late innings when we have the lead, because he's much better than Sanchez at 2nd base.

2. Keep Kuwata, call up Kolb, put Chacon back in the bullpen, and when Torres comes back, we might actually have a decent bullpen. Bayliss, Sharpless, and Grabow have been terrible. (I don't think Grabow is feeling 100%)

3. CALL UP JOHN VAN BENSCHOTTEN!!! Send Duke back down to AAA to let him work out his problems without costing the Pirates games. There is no point to sending him out there every 5th game to get crushed. Let him figure things out in the minors, and call him back up when he's ready.

4. Possibly consider bringing Bixler up for his offense, and letting him share time with Wilson at SS. Maybe the competition will get Jack to start playing like he's capable of, both in the field and at bat.

5. Use Doumit at catcher for the next couple games, so Paulino understands that the lack of effort he's put into his defense the last few games is totally unacceptable. Hell, Bautista didn't hustle enough a couple times against the Yankees either, so bench him for a game or 2 and have Sanchez play 3rd, and Castillo at 2nd.

Also, I've been wondering ever since Tracy was hired, why we picked him instead of Leyland. It made no sense to me. But the other day, it dawned on me. We hired Tracy because he's perfect for the Nuttings. Leyland WASN'T hired, for precisely the reason we all think he SHOULD have been hired: because he wouldn't tolerate losing. IIRC, Leyland quit last time he was with the Pirates because he was sick of ownership not spending the money to give him the players he needed to compete. If the Pirates had hired Leyland, he'd have gone ballistic many times by now over the lack of performance by the Pirates, and that would get national attention. At some point, he'd get so sick of the lack of commitment to winning that he would quit, and that too would get national attention, showing everyone in the country that the Pirates aren't committed to winning. And then everyone would know about the Nuttings. Tracy, however, is always calm, always positive. He doesn't make a fuss when we lose. He's the perfect guy for the Nuttings to hire, because he won't call attention to the fact that this organization is the worst in pro sports. And I don't blame Tracy for this. That's just his personality. That's how he manages a team. I blame the Nuttings, because they were looking for a way to continue to maintain the status quo, while they keep quietly stuffing their pockets with the money that should go to improving the team. And they found the perfect man for the job.

SteelerDan43
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I have just a few comments on your choices, I dont mind putting castillo in there as he is a better defensive 2b than Sanchez but we have to keep Sanchez in there in the late innings just in case the game goes extras with our shaky bullpen. Bautista is one of the better hitters on the team right now so we cant push him out either. I like tonights lineup with 2 changes, Sanchez goes to SS and Castillo goes to 2nd. Those are their natural positions. And Doumit replaces Paulino at C. I think that gives us the best offense and best defensive alignment with what we have. Right now I would have to say you would have to call up Bullington before JVB as I like Bullingtons WHIP a bit better

Dako
06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
hey we won one tonight....still embarrassed/pissed about how we've been giving them away as of late...... definitely need to revamp the bullpen......LaRoche finally showing signs of breaking out of his funk.....never been a fan of Paulino....Bautistas' been fine.....send out for a better manager and better pitching

Dako
06-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Hats off to Maholm for a good pitching performance. 7 innings of 3 hit ball....I was ready to kill him after that shaky first inning, but he recovered nicely.....holding fingers that bullpen doesn't blow it .....

manofsteel
06-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Another sweep from the AL Dammit.

Prosdo
06-24-2007, 09:07 PM
That was a heart breaker. It looked like they might actually win.

manofsteel
06-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Damn another three straight to the AL

Prosdo
07-08-2007, 01:26 AM
And another not so good night for the Buccos.

manofsteel
07-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Bucs might bo ok with nady laroche and bay at the core of lineup add another soid pitcher to go with Snell and Gorzo and add a good leadoff man and we might be talking something then

Dako
07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Sounds good. Wouldn't mind seeing Wilson go. He looked good a few years ago...but bat is too weak.

SteelerFan87
07-20-2007, 12:43 AM
My God, the Buccos really suck. I'm starting to think about becoming a Cubs fan, since they traded for Jason Kendall, and I can watch their games on WGN.

How sad is that?

Dako
07-20-2007, 12:56 AM
To think....I was actually encouraged by their play prior to the All Star Break. Problem with me switching allegiences is that I have my choice of the Nationals or the Orioles. Let's go Pirates!!!

Dako
03-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Pirates looking good tonight!!!!......8-4 in the 8th....woo hooo!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
F-ing pirates......blow a 5 run lead in the 9th....

GoBenGo
04-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Pirates looking good tonight!!!!......8-4 in the 8th....woo hooo!!!

[AutoMerged Post Below]
F-ing pirates......blow a 5 run lead in the 9th....
...i can add nothing...icfbi either!!!

TEEMONT
04-01-2008, 12:40 AM
The bats looked good tonight. And they managed to come back, against a team some are picking to win it all.

Dako
04-01-2008, 12:46 AM
12 - 11 Buccos....and there was nooooooooo doubt about it....

(okay actually there was a lot of doubt in this game)

GoBenGo
04-01-2008, 12:59 AM
12 - 11 Buccos....and there was nooooooooo doubt about it....

(okay actually there was a lot of doubt in this game):banana:....sweeeet...i was:cursin: at bay and said eff it for a sec...bad move...kill bill vol 2 was on...i couldn't get back...he shuolda killllllllled her....figures:banging:
..barely a season yet but,i am holding out some guarded optimism for this year...:pray:...i am not putting them in the playoffs by any stretch...but i think they are going to be fun to watch this year...and over 500 for the first time in 14 years:markit:

Dako
04-01-2008, 01:01 AM
80 wins to go

NOVA STEELERS
04-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Undeafeated, end the season NOW :bigthumb:

susielr
04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Undeafeated, end the season NOW :bigthumb:

:hilarious:

SteelerFan87
04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Wow, that was really painful. Up 9-4 and suddenly Marte and Capps become allergic to the strike zone.

If I were a Braves fan, I'd really be worried. They lost to the Nationals, and then lost to the Pirates in a game the Buccos were just dying to give them. Atlanta did nothing to get back in the game. They only got 1 hit in the 9th, but the Pirates gave them 5 runs. Ugh...

Thank God for Xavier Nady.

TEEMONT
04-03-2008, 01:59 AM
And today we saw the Pirates we all know and love...lol.

Dako
04-03-2008, 07:34 AM
still.....80 wins to go and still 500 (optimism fading)