PDA

View Full Version : Was Wallace a one trick pony?

Stone
01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Mike Wallace has been a non factor the second half of this year? I have noticed some disturbing tendencies with him.

1. If it isn't a foot race he is a non factor.

2. He seems timid.

3. He takes plays off.

4. It seems the only way he gets open is by out-running them.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Yup you're right. I hope he steps up in the playoffs. The part that annoys me most is that some plays, it just seems like he doesn't care.

SteelCityVoice
01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I remember when Lardarius Webb said that Antonio Brown was the better all around player and a lot of Steeler fans laughed at the notion.

Brown is the only player in NFL history with 1000 yards receiving AND return yards in NFL history. That's a damn impressive stat.

Let's be serious though. Brown has stepped up his game in the second half and Wallace has disappeared. Maybe part of this was the fact the Steelers wanted to force feed Hines Ward the ball for his 1000 catches. Maybe it's because Wallace is drawing more double teams.

It just seems though he's dropping balls he should catch, and he's not going full out.

connecticutsteel
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Wallace isn't a one trick pony ! Alvin Harper was a one trick pony.Money Mike is good after the catch,good on the sidelines (Green Bay winning catch as time expired).Has 2 consecutive 1000 yd seasons and a pro bowler. Are there better receivers in the league yes.Is Antonio Brown better probably they are both young and both Steelers so i say who cares.

StillersSound
01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
No. Teams started to gameplan for him. Ben isn't healthy. Our o-line is horrible. It's a combination of all those mixed together.

steelersbabex25
01-02-2012, 12:49 PM
We've talked about this a lot. I think that Wallace is a little bit of a diva in the way that he plays. He's fast, and when Ben was healthy and could deliver the balls right into his hands, he was unstoppable. But Ben is starting to look a little shaky on that ankle, and Wallace doesn't seem to know how to go up and try to make a catch. I don't think I've ever seen him fight for a ball the way that Brown or Manny or Heath with fight for a ball. Which is why I think Ben has started to shy away from him a little bit as of late and start using the other receivers more.

He's a better weapon, but I think that Brown is the more complete player. If that makes sense.

JensK
01-02-2012, 01:00 PM
He is not a one-trick pony as such, but he is not exactly a Megatron or a player of that caliber either. He is simply not big and strong enough to go up against double coverage and win. A big part of his "diminish" over the season can also be contributed to the rise of Brown and the injury of Big Ben. Thrown a perfect deep ball is practically impossible with a sore foot.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I really like Mike Wallace but him and Ben don't seem to be on the same page lately....Which is a concern....The teams franchise QB and number 1 WR should be ont he same page heading into the play-offs.....Wallace and Ben didn't seem to be on the same page in the Super Bowl against the Packers either.....Maybe there is a riff between Wallace and Ben....It seemed when Batch started against the Rams that Wallace had better effort to me......Wallace ran balls out on that deep pass from Batch......To me it seems as of late if Ben doesn't throw a perfect pass to Wallace deep then Wallace seems to lolly gag........

elephantman
01-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Mike Wallace has been a non factor the second half of this year? I have noticed some disturbing tendencies with him.

1. If it isn't a foot race he is a non factor.

2. He seems timid.

3. He takes plays off.

4. It seems the only way he gets open is by out-running them.

on bad throws, wallace doesent play D, he lets the defender intercept and makes little effort in tackling....look at the 49er game.....im dissapointed with him, he does seem to lack effort...he does however, turn screen passes into 17 yard gains

SteelerJay
01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
wallace isn't a one trick pony, but he isn't a ***** WR either, is he elite? time will only tell, this is his second year over 1,000 yards recieving, and a pro bowl vote, so you have to think yea he is doing something right, but his drop off can go back to brown stepping up, how many games did he have over 100 yards? you have to think we have more weapons then just wallace and he isn't and shouldn't get all the looks from ben either, so im not really dissapointed in his stats as of late, what i am dissapointed in is the fact he seems to lack a fighting effort in games as of late. he has complained about the lack of looks already, and my only real issue if it continues where he doesn't get what he expects in a game does he become a locker room problem? does he start to complain or does he just simply not put in the effort to be that X factor in games? I would hope not!

LatrobePA
01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
One word: YES

I agree with the above, he and Ben are way off!!

Clevelandsux
01-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I think they've been double teaming Wallace, which is why Brown has been putting up such great numbers.

StillersSound
01-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I think they've been double teaming Wallace, which is why Brown has been putting up such great numbers.

They are and he's taking the top off the defense. I would like to see him man up and go over the middle more and make that catch in close and take a hit. I remember one game they were hyping our young receivers talking about how they are small and fast but still go over the middle basically just talking about Brown :lol:

elephantman
01-02-2012, 06:35 PM

all the great Wide receivers get double teamed...Larry fitzgerald had 9 receptions for 150 yds in a win yesterday and I dont even know the name of the QB throwing the ball to him

Steelers guy
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
be veritcal Brown is our best wideout hes more complete, and our x factor in special teams as well. I hope Wallace steps up so we can have a deep threat like we did last year.

Danger DANJ
01-03-2012, 12:58 AM
I don't watch Wallace on every play but I don't recall ever seeing him take plays off. It's clear to me that double teams and Ben are the reason for his lack of receptions recently. The double teams are allowing Brown to be one-on-one and he seems to be great at getting separation. Ben has been overthrowing and underthrowing all of his deep passes since he got hurt. Yesterday he had Wallace for a TD or 2 and made horrible throws. If Ben continues to throw like he has, the defense will need to score TDs to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Nolrog
01-03-2012, 06:28 AM

I think he was poorly used by BA. The entire game plan for Wallace seems to be go deep and once in a while we'll throw it that way and hope you catch it. They don't screen to him to pull up the corner when he's playing back or anything like that to try and set up a match up later in the game.

Maybe he has been typecast as that super fast big play guy, but they need to do more early in the game to set up those big plays as well.

LatrobePA
01-03-2012, 08:34 AM
I love the crossing routes, but Wallace doesn't seem to be on the same page. The bubble screens work sometimes with his speed, now that we're done feeding Hines maybe we can actually gameplan correctly...

K Train
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
take it easy....nate washington was a one trick pony, wallace is a top 7ish WR and teams really key on him and only him....hence the reason antonio brown is currently taking over the world

mikebb
01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
ive been pointing this out for quite a while now, and the 49r interception was the breaking point for me. wallace needs an adjustment NOW!!!

coldrolled
01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Yup you're right. I hope he steps up in the playoffs. The part that annoys me most is that some plays, it just seems like he doesn't care.

More 89... he makes things happen.

17 - 84 - 89 and 82 and 83

done.

LatrobePA
01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
More 89... he makes things happen.

17 - 84 - 89 and 82 and 83

done.

Yes sir... Cotchery is clutch!

Stone
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Last week, I saw Wallace with a Santonio Holmes demeanor on a run play. The guy defending him had no doubt it was a run play by Wallaces body language.....that, to me, is taking plays off.

He seems VERY timid lately going across the middle......remember last week when Ben gave him hell because he needed to "look at" Ben on crossing plays rather than looking at the defender who might clean his clock?

He doesn't seem to fight for the ball....as I said initially, it seems that his only effective play is where he out-runs the defender and has clear sailing. I think he needs some time with Hines!

steelchamp204
01-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Good receivers can beat double teams. Its called working on your game and stepping up. Wallace runs his mouth and is a cocky SOB. He has faded this year and fast it seems like. He need to go across the middle more and BA needs to get him some slants. Im sick of his go routes and wr screens. Id rather have Holmes back :)

CowherPower
01-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm certainly not ready to call Wallace a one trick pony, he's just got to adjust his game now. He's had the benefit of Hines or Santonio drawing the double coverage his first 2 years. Now he is the man and having to deal with that, it takes time. Plus Ben hasn't exactly been healthy this season so some of it is on the QB as well.

Wallace does seem to be a bit of a pouter at times, but that's just my opinion. If he's not getting the ball 8 times a game he's not happy. That could just be me though...

LatrobePA
01-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Wallace could turn into a diva w/ out his touches...

coldrolled
01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=CowherPower;471465]I'm certainly not ready to call Wallace a one trick pony, he's just got to adjust his game now. QUOTE]

Sorry, but wallace and the rest of our offense will be a one trick pony with BA.

We need a genius game planning OC.. or this will never change.

:imho:

UKSTEELER
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
this is completely hypothetical . . .

perhaps when Arians earlier in the season said something to the effect of . . ."We like to get the ball Deep to Mike at least 5 times a game" . . .

Maybe Mike thought, jeez, is that all they think I'm capable of? Running fast and catching the deep ball?

Let's be honest, . . he's probably struggled this last month because he hasn't got the all round game or he's not perceived to have it by the coaching staff and Ben so he's not being given the routes and is being used more as a decoy to send a couple of defenders deep every other play.

You can see why he may be a little down on the situation, especially considering the all round blossoming skill set of Brown.

connecticutsteel
01-04-2012, 11:15 AM
this is completely hypothetical . . .

perhaps when Arians earlier in the season said something to the effect of . . ."We like to get the ball Deep to Mike at least 5 times a game" . . .

Maybe Mike thought, jeez, is that all they think I'm capable of? Running fast and catching the deep ball?

Let's be honest, . . he's probably struggled this last month because he hasn't got the all round game or he's not perceived to have it by the coaching staff and Ben so he's not being given the routes and is being used more as a decoy to send a couple of defenders deep every other play.

You can see why he may be a little down on the situation, especially considering the all round blossoming skill set of Brown.

This is fine if Ben has time to throw

LatrobePA
01-04-2012, 11:16 AM

Bingo!

steelersbabex25
01-04-2012, 11:21 AM

And that's a huge if.

coldrolled
01-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Throwing and waiting for what 20+ yard pass routes to play out :thinking:

Lets try 5-10 yard cross routes and slants and see if 89 - 84 can make things happen. Our OL is good enough for a short pass game. Ben needs a short game with his ankle and the OL.

Stone
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Not really......It doesn't take much time to drop back 3 steps and wing it and let Wallace run under it. The problem is that defenses are playing him deep so that won't work and Wallace seems unwilling to fight for anything other than beating someone deep.

steelchamp204
01-04-2012, 02:50 PM

When Ben does have time to throw, the routes are all like 25 yards down the field. Incomplete.

Big T
01-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I wouldnt say Wallace is a one-trick pony and I certainly wouldnt call him a diva. The lack of production during the later part of the season was due to how defenses have adjusted to playing the Steelers. Mike Wallace was tearing **** up early in the season, and honestly, he was the only one. The offensive line is horrid and the running game was almost nonexistent, Ben can only do so much with that line and has been hurt, Hines was starting opposite of wallace and no team is afraid of him...See what I'm saying here? Wallace was the only dangerous part of our offense so teams decided to gameplan for him and focus on taking him out of games...in steps Antonio Brown to reap the benefits. AB has been great don't get me wrong, but he wouldnt be having the season he is if teams arent playing Wallace they way they are.

The only time I was concerned about Wallace all season was this past weekend in Cleveland. Something was definitely up with him. He was completely oblivious to what was going on and did seem very timid. But that game is really the only one he's concerned me. I'll chalk it up to a bad day, which everyone is entitled to every now and then.

I honestly have no worries.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Wallace has faced the same thing that Heath Miller has faced this year, different coverages than he's used too. You can be the fastest guy in the world but it still takes time to learn to deal with double coverages all day long. Fitzgerald in Arizona gets them every week but he wasn't as good as he is overnight.

Wallace will get there, but it will take some extra effort on his part to perfect his craft.

LatrobePA
01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Could it be Ben has more faith in AB is why Wallace isn't getting as many looks??

elephantman
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Fitzgerald in Arizona gets them every week but he wasn't as good as he is overnight

Wallace will get there, but it will take some extra effort on his part to perfect his craft.

Fitzgerald has always 'gone after the ball and fight for it'....whereas Wallace watches it and if its not thrown dirrectly to him, he watches the int and doesent make a play at the ball and doesent play Defense.....remember Fitzgerald chase down Harrrison in the SB....running 100 yards and almost saved the TD....wallace would have been 100 yds the other end of the field...thats what I dont like about Wallace...soft

Blazedby92
01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Fitz vs. Wallace, not even close, Wallace isn't a pimple on Fitz's Arse but give him some more time and he will be better than he is now IF he doesn't get lazy.