PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall out for Denver game. Jan. 2 Update - Lost for the post season

SteelDad
01-01-2012, 08:17 PM
CLEVELAND — The victory, not secured until after the final play (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_774633.html#ixzz1iJzLwevG) on a blustery day, did nothing for the Steelers' playoff positioning.

A 13-9 win at Cleveland Browns Stadium gave the Steelers a second consecutive 12-4 season, but it also exacted a pretty stiff price.

Already thin at running back, the Steelers likely lost their feature ball-carrier to an ACL tear. Rashard Mendenhall, on his way to a second consecutive 100-yard game, went down at the end of the first quarter. An MRI taken today could confirm coach Mike Tomlin's worst fears regarding Mendenhall's right knee.

At the very least, Tomlin said Mendenhall won't play Sunday when the Steelers visit the Denver Broncos at 4:30 p.m. in the opening round of the AFC playoffs.

"You should anticipate that he won't be participating next week for us," Tomlin said of Mendenhall. "It's not good when a guy goes down in open grass, not touched by anyone. Experience tells me that's generally not good."

TheFizzman
01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
http://theredzonereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/willie_parker_pittsburgh_steelers.jpg

jnes1216
01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Just don't mention Frank the Tank Summers!! lol

Zachintosh66
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
i just threw up in my mouth

Zachintosh66
01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
seen stuff ontwitter saying blew his acl, my bro in law said he heard mcl

Callax
01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
REALLY????

Nope not gonna happen.........

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2012, 09:44 PM
......no...........Fast Willie was my guy at one time but noway the Steelers sign Willie.....

steelersbabex25
01-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Well damn. When I saw the play I didn't think it could be that bad..

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
If Moore's progress is such that he could return then they won't sign anyone else at this point. We'll have to wait and see what the MRI says on Monday for sure but it's not looking good.

coldrolled
01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
redman can do it. he needs to hold the ball.

DIESELMAN
01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Steelers fear a torn ACL, won't know for sure until he gets a MRI.

Pittsburgh Steelers’ starting running back Rashard Mendenhall left Sunday’s win over the Cleveland Browns with a knee injury, and head coach Mike Tomlin told reporters after the game that he could have a torn ACL, according to multiple reports.

An MRI will be performed Monday to see the extent of the damage.

nuclearchihuahuas
01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
sounds like Mendy may be done. I think Redman can do it if he holds onto the ball.

Nolrog
01-02-2012, 12:27 AM
It's a loss, but not one that's impossible to over come. Steelers don't rely as much on the run anymore. If it was Brown, we'd be in much worse trouble.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2012, 01:52 AM
It's a loss, but not one that's impossible to over come. Steelers don't rely as much on the run anymore. If it was Brown, we'd be in much worse trouble.

True the Steelers don't rely on the run like they use to but Ben's ankle still is a huge concern......Hard to believe Ben will be his usual self next week so the running game will have to produce and the Steelers are even thinner now at RB.......The running game will have to produce.....I like Redman and I'm anxious to see him in his first play-off start....I'm usually hard on Mendenhall but the last month he has looked like a different back and seemed to be hitting his stride so its a shame he is out for the play-offs.....Next man up...Its been the theme all year......

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2012, 02:15 AM
I bet they wish that they would have rotated Dwyer and Mendy the whole year like Houston did with their RB's.

Stone
01-02-2012, 09:55 AM
This is a per-dick-i-ment!

Clay is a good short yardage back but?..............

I love Redman but what if he gets hurt or keeps fumbling?.............

FWP wasn't any good when he was good!.................

Let's hope Mwelde is ready to go..........who the hell would name a kid Mwelde?

JensK
01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
If its torn, it is pretty darn impressive he walked out of the stadium the way he did... Most people get carted out with that kind of an injury. In any case, we should probably get used to the idea that he is out for the year.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Steelers fear a torn ACL, won't know for sure until he gets a MRI.

Confirmed, he's done for the year.

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is out for the rest of the season.
KDKA-TV Sports has confirmed he has a torn ligament in his knee.
Mendenhall went down in the first quarter Sunday against the Cleveland Browns without being hit.
Tests Monday confirmed the injury.

nuclearchihuahuas
01-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I am less concerned about Mendy and the running game than I am the fact that the offense cant score more than 14 points per game. That is not enough to win a playoff game. I thought the offense was pulling it back together towards the end of the Browns game, but what is with Wallace? I saw him duck to avoid a hit he thought was coming rather than going up for a ball. His arms have gotten noticeably shorter across the center of the field. He ran out of bounds rather than putting his head down and gaining a more yardage. Seriously, what is up with this guy?

SteelerJay
01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
its a loss but the steelers can overcome it, i have faith in redman he grinds it out for that extra yardage, and fights for it, he hits the hole hard like a true back is suppose to do, but we will see

Clevelandsux
01-02-2012, 05:20 PM
not a big mendenhall fan, but he is still our starter. Think the guy has potential, just doesn't use it.

Nolrog
01-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Confirmed, he's done for the year.

Longer than that. That's a long recovery process. He'll miss quite a bit of time next year too. We need a RB in the off season.

Steelers guy
01-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Redman did do well despite his two fumbles and Clay seems to be showing up in situations I say we are going to draft a rb but I like those two, plus there is Moore. But we have so much problems we need to address we need an o line, and we are not getting younger on key positions.

TIMEsteelersfan
01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
redman can do it. he needs to hold the ball.

Right on man... I love the way Redman runs and I think he's fully capable of handling the load. Those two fumbles Sunday were a bit troublesome but hey, it is what it is, he's the best we've got right now. I'm excited to see what he does with this opportunity.

:yellowthumb:

Nolrog
01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I say we are going to draft a rb but I like those two, plus there is Moore. But we have so much problems we need to address we need an o line, and we are not getting younger on key positions.

I agree. Too many needs besides RB, but recovery time for an ACL is really long, so all of next season is in doubt. I think a RB in one of the first couple rounds is now a need.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2012, 11:15 PM
We talked about this on the podcast tonight (http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/entry/2012-01-02T19_02_31-08_00) , the Steelers will mainly miss Mendenhall in situations where he is able to catch the ball in the flat or take a quick swing pass from Ben. Also in blitz pickup where arguably Redman has struggled this year. If the Broncos get in the backfield on key 3rd downs and Redman or Clay struggle with blitz pickup it could be a rough time for Ben.

mikebb
01-03-2012, 10:04 AM
we may have seen the last of mendenhall, and he wont be that missed. never developed into a star, and rb's in his class can be found a dime a dozen.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Mendenhall still has another year left on his deal, they won't release him heading into 2012. Now whether or not he gets a new deal after that still remains to be seen, but I think it's a safe bet he'll be back next year.

SteelDad
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I really believe for the Denver game anyway, that Red and Clay are going to be a solid duo. They dont need big yards just quality carries to keep Dumervile and Miller honest. Wouldnt surprise me at all if Red and Clay combine for 120 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
01-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Just read in interview with Redman and seems pretty confident going into this game. He said he's taking it upon himself to move the Steelers through the playoffs and into the superbowl.

DIESELMAN
01-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Denvers run defense isn't that good especially up the gut. Most of our run plays are between the guards and Pouncey. If BA would actually try and establish a running game against Denver, we should be able to pile up the yards, and with Redman who runs with authority, we shouldn't have any red zone issues at least for 1 week lol

Zachintosh66
01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Update:
Mendenhall has family in S. Michigan and my wifes job she has been in contact w/ Rashards Uncle (and cousin) a couple times. Originally she seen the last name and starteda convo with them about Pittsburgh, where they in turn told her who they were. any who:

My wife texted me this morning saying this "mendenhalls uncle came in again, just told me his acl is much worse than they are letting on"

ill follow up with anymore info but shes not off till after 3 today, just thought id pass the msg along... this might play into our offseason plans

LatrobePA
01-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Is there a such thing as a good torn ACL?

My wives uncle cousins little brothers sister in laws best friend told me the same thing! J/K lol