PDA

View Full Version : Confidence in Redman & Clay in the playoffs?

CowherPower
01-01-2012, 09:10 PM
According to the Steelers, Rashard Mendenhall's knee injury looks like it could be serious. They didn't speculate from what I heard yet but Mike Tomlin said don't look for him to play next weekend in Denver.

Isaac Redman finished with 19 carries for 92 yds and 1 Touchdown.

John Clay had 9 carries for 31 yds.

A good day under normal circumstances, but factor in 2 4th quarter fumbles by Isaac Redman that could have been very costly if the Browns had any type of offense. Fortunately the defense was able to bail him out but quite honestly he's not doing himself any favors with a performance like that. Has you confidence in Redman been swayed any with those fumbles in such a close game?

I did like what I saw from John Clay today though.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Redman put the ball on the ground two times today...so yea I don't know if he can be trusted....Plus I always said Redman is a nice RB to pair as a combo but I don't not seeing him as a RB to carry a running game.....As for Clay he wasn't drafted for a reason and really his limited time in two games really hasn't given me enough time to really form an opinion on him.....I'm hard on Mendenhall but without him its a huge blow to our running game.....I'm usually all for Ben just winging the ball but with his bad ankle I do think this team does need some kind of running game......

Speeed
I have confidence in any combination of our RB's. I also have the same confidence in our WR's - but, for some reason, neither can gel. There is always something; injury, fumbles, penalties, controversy, etc. we have the pieces but we seem to lack the execution and or the coaching to maximize the potential.

I am continually amazed at the Steelers 12 - 4 record.

steelersbabex25
Redman averaged almost a 5 yard per rush average today? I have complete confidence in him and Clay to back him up.

Before everyone jumps off the Isaac Redman train because of his 2 fumbles, let's not go crazy just yet here. That is really the first time that we've seen Redman falter at all. Until it becomes a regular problem (like it is for another Steelers running back) I don't see that as a reason to stop handing him the ball. He's a pretty awesome back for someone who was just supposed to be a short yardage guy.

LatrobePA
01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
We have no choice at this point... Redman will be fine but I'd be shocked if they don't bring someone in..

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm not ready to jump off the Redman train just yet either. He had a big day today but also had some errors. Cleveland was going for the strip all day long and he just coughed it up. It happens now and then. I think he'll be fine next week but you know the Broncos defense is going to be going after him trying to rip that ball away.

Clay has shown some flashes and thank goodness he was on the PS because without him right now we'd be in trouble. Moore coming back would help but I'm not counting on it.

steelersbabex25
01-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm not ready to jump off the Redman train just yet either. He had a big day today but also had some errors. Cleveland was going for the strip all day long and he just coughed it up. It happens now and then. I think he'll be fine next week but you know the Broncos defense is going to be going after him trying to rip that ball away.

Clay has shown some flashes and thank goodness he was on the PS because without him right now we'd be in trouble. Moore coming back would help but I'm not counting on it.

Exactly. A running back fumbling is not something that happens one time in a million. It's going to happen, especially with a somewhat unexperienced back like Redman. I will go as far to say though, that I consider it a good thing that he fumbled a few times today. It was a completely meaningless game, and he now knows it's something to look out for. Kind of like Bettis fumbling in the Colts game (sorry for bringing that up everyone.) After that game Bettis was holding on to that ball like it was his baby on every carry. Hopefully it'll have the same effect on Redman. We're going to need him to have some big games in the playoffs if Ben doesn't get his **** together.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Redman averaged almost a 5 yard per rush average today? I have complete confidence in him and Clay to back him up.

Before everyone jumps off the Isaac Redman train because of his 2 fumbles, let's not go crazy just yet here. That is really the first time that we've seen Redman falter at all. Until it becomes a regular problem (like it is for another Steelers running back) I don't see that as a reason to stop handing him the ball. He's a pretty awesome back for someone who was just supposed to be a short yardage guy.

Redman has never been asked to get the majority of the carries yet either.....Until I see him week in and week out carry the load at the RB position I will have my doubts...I always supported him to get more carries so this is his chance.....anyway you slice it fumbling twice isn't the best way to head into the play-offs as the teams lead RB now......I usually wouldn't care about the running game but with Ben's ankle still a concern the running game will have to produce......

SteelCityVoice
01-01-2012, 11:05 PM
The Steelers are primarily a passing team anyways. Not saying the loss of Mendenhall won't hurt because he was good at making catches out of the backfield and on the screens.

It was good to see Emmanuel Sanders out there. This team is going to have a full complement of passing weapons in the playoffs, which won't hurt at all.

coldrolled
01-01-2012, 11:12 PM
I have confidence in any combination of our RB's. I also have the same confidence in our WR's - but, for some reason, neither can gel. There is always something; injury, fumbles, penalties, controversy, etc. we have the pieces but we seem to lack the execution and or the coaching to maximize the potential.

I am continually amazed at the Steelers 12 - 4 record.

Go Arians.....

LatrobePA
01-01-2012, 11:41 PM
In BA's offense who needs a RB?

In a major wind storm Ben throws 40 times, lol this offense sucks thanks to our **** *** OC!!

Danger DANJ
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM

Which Steelers RB has a regular problem with fumbles? I know it's not Mendenhall. In his first 4 regular seasons he has had 6 fumbles... all 6 of them were lost. How is that a problem, especially when he only had 1 this year? Jerome Bettis had 18 fumbles, 10 which were lost, in his first 4 regular seasons.

I like Redman, but those 2 fumbles are worrying me. I sure hope the fumbles aren't the result of not being able to handle a full workload. It's quite possible he was getting tired from so many carries and just couldn't hold the ball as strongly.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-02-2012, 12:31 AM
They were his first 2 fumbles of the year,so hopefully it will be a lesson learned...with that said the rest of his performance was pretty good !! I think his style suits the o-line better he just runs to where the hole is supposed to be,and runs people over.

Moondog
01-02-2012, 02:05 AM
That first Redman fumble was a good stick by the Cleveland linebacker, the second one I could see coming a mile away. It's great to run hard, get some extra yards, but sometimes you have to know when its best to go down just like the announcers said. Throughout the years, I've seen this kind of fumble by all kinds of players who are trying to pick up another quarter of a yard.

That being said, I still have some faith in Redman, he'll be alright.

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Redman needs to stay in the same role he's had. Clay has fresh legs and should be the featured RB going forward.

Dobre Shunka
01-02-2012, 04:48 AM
use Clay w/ Redman staying in the same role he's had all along.

Redman has yet to do anything against Ray Lewis and gang but on the plus side he could be very effective against Denver and the Pats.

UKSTEELER
01-02-2012, 05:09 AM
I've got a ton of faith in red. He performed excelently yesterday. Any rb wud have fumbled the first one and the second one was inexperience, inexperience he wudnt have if we'd have actually played him more often!!

He might not possess mendy's breakaway speed, but he's a better back than mendy between the tackles.

Red will learn from this and should be relied upon next week to pull out the win.

Mendy's ball carrying technique is a lot worse than Reds!

Go Red:helmet:

SteelersWoman
01-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Love to see Ike Redman get all the yac that he does! He'll fumble sometimes doin' that, but he'll also get us a lot of extra yards at some times when we really need them. Also think he'll learn a lot from Sunday's game, and I have no worries that he'll do just fine :)

steelersbabex25
01-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Which Steelers RB has a regular problem with fumbles? I know it's not Mendenhall. In his first 4 regular seasons he has had 6 fumbles... all 6 of them were lost. How is that a problem, especially when he only had 1 this year? Jerome Bettis had 18 fumbles, 10 which were lost, in his first 4 regular seasons.

I like Redman, but those 2 fumbles are worrying me. I sure hope the fumbles aren't the result of not being able to handle a full workload. It's quite possible he was getting tired from so many carries and just couldn't hold the ball as strongly.

In the words of Michelle Tanner...oh puhlease! Redman's first fumble ever I think..like I said, the first time he's really ever done wrong. That is simply ridiculous to say that that a fumble from and RB that rarely fumbles is "worrying you." If Redman had a history of fumbling, then you can be worried. But he doesn't. So relax.

JensK
01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
In the words of Michelle Tanner...oh puhlease! Redman's first fumble ever I think..like I said, the first time he's really ever done wrong. That is simply ridiculous to say that that a fumble from and RB that rarely fumbles is "worrying you." If Redman had a history of fumbling, then you can be worried. But he doesn't. So relax.

What is "troublesome" is that he starts fumbling when he as actually asked to take some responsibility by being the feature back. What is even more troublesome is that Ben looks really bad right now, and Mendenhall was running with a purpose. I'm pretty nervous.

airbrake 1
01-02-2012, 10:09 AM

yeah, who is this steeler running back that has a regular fumbling problem...looks like the slobbering love affair for redman might have taken a hit...especially now that he may be the starter....i'm sure there are some that think we have the second coming of barry sanders hidden on the bench or on the practice squad

steelersbabex25
01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
What is "troublesome" is that he starts fumbling when he as actually asked to take some responsibility by being the feature back. What is even more troublesome is that Ben looks really bad right now, and Mendenhall was running with a purpose. I'm pretty nervous.

Obviously it would be ideal for Mendenhall to be playing in the playoffs, but that's not going to happen. & I think it's pretty unreasonable that people are all wanting to sign a different back just because the Cleveland D made a few good plays in that game that made Redman lose the ball. Ben Roethlisberger had like 5 turnovers all by his lonesome in the first game of the season and nobody was calling for his head. I'm a little confused as to how this is any different.

coach
01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I am not sure about the running game v Denver. Somehow, we always seem to make the games closer than they need to be and perhaps it will be turnovers in the run game that do it for us in the Denver game. :thinking: I think Red and Clay can easily carry the load that they will be asked to carry. For me, it is more a question of what will they be asked to do, and how well the O line perform in front of them.

I think pass happy BA will have a game plan that limits the runs in this game to the bare minumum (including milking the clock after the score dictates doing so). Look at the pass stats for Tebow v Kyle Orton in yesterday's game:

Passing
Kansas City Chiefs Att Cmp Yds Avg TD Int Lg Sack Loss Rating
Kyle Orton 29 15 180 6.21 0 0 22 1 5 71.0
Denver Broncos Att Cmp Yds Avg TD Int Lg Sack Loss Rating
Tim Tebow 22 6 60 2.73 0 1 17 2 10 20.6

On D, Tebow will face a loaded box, the ends will seal the edge and someone might even shadow Tebow.

On O, BA will pass, pass, pass, pass and then every once in a while he will run to let the receivers catch their breath.

This game should not even be a one-score game.

JensK
01-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Obviously it would be ideal for Mendenhall to be playing in the playoffs, but that's not going to happen. & I think it's pretty unreasonable that people are all wanting to sign a different back just because the Cleveland D made a few good plays in that game that made Redman lose the ball. Ben Roethlisberger had like 5 turnovers all by his lonesome in the first game of the season and nobody was calling for his head. I'm a little confused as to how this is any different.

Starting to compare Big Ben and Redman is kinda... well you know, stupid. Redman is not going to get many chances at being the feature back, and the one time his been asked to do so, he fumbles twice. You could compare it to a scenario where Dixon starts over Big Ben, and he throws 2 interceptions instead. No one is calling for anyones head, but some are, rightfully so, questioning the current strength of the given position.

steelersbabex25
01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Starting to compare Big Ben and Redman is kinda... well you know, stupid. Redman is not going to get many chances at being the feature back, and the one time his been asked to do so, he fumbles twice. You could compare it to a scenario where Dixon starts over Big Ben, and he throws 2 interceptions instead. No one is calling for anyones head, but some are, rightfully so, questioning the current strength of the given position.

Ok, so let's go with that scenario then. Ben gets hurt, Dixon goes in and throws 2 ints (and for the sake of the argument, let's say that the interceptions weren't bad ones.) BUT, he also throws for 250 yards and 2 TDs.

Redman is not a starting back obviously, or he would be starting somewhere. But he's pretty damn good at picking up a lot of yardage for a guy who was just supposed to be a third and short and goal line back. I just think everyones overreacting a little bit, saying that we should be soooo worried about Redman fumbling the game away next week. I'm willing to bet anyone anything that that won't happen.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Nobody is over-reacting.....Its a legit question really....Issac Redman has never been the Steelers lead RB........So far in his career he has been asked to be a role player.......Sure Redman has the size but that doesn't mean he can shoulder the load of carrying the running game but Redman has his chance now......Fumbling twice isn't the best way to head into the play-offs as the lead RB now.....Tomlin even had concerns since it was Clay getting the carries late in the game....Nobody is callling for Redman's head either but just asking some legit questions about him being the lead back now.......

Comparing Ben to Redman well is silly.....A two time Super Bowl winning QB who has helped this team win many games and that is the biggest reason I'm willing to cut Ben some slack....Another factor is Ben's contract and even the fans that don't like Ben know he isn't going anywhere due to his contract......There would be no point to call for Ben's head....lol

Plus I have sat through Brister, O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox through the years and their play-off failures.......The Steelers always had a power running game and strong defenses with those QB's but those QB's always killed the Steelers in the play-offs.....

steelersbabex25
01-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Nobody is over-reacting.....Its a legit question really....Issac Redman has never been the Steelers lead RB........So far in his career he has been asked to be a role player.......Sure Redman has the size but that doesn't mean he can shoulder the load of carrying the running game but Redman has his chance now......Fumbling twice isn't the best way to head into the play-offs as the lead RB now.....Tomlin even had concerns since it was Clay getting the carries late in the game....Nobody is callling for Redman's head either but just asking some legit questions about him being the lead back now.......

Comparing Ben to Redman well is silly.....A two time Super Bowl winning QB who has helped this team win many games and that is the biggest reason I'm willing to cut Ben some slack....Another factor is Ben's contract and even the fans that don't like Ben know he isn't going anywhere due to his contract......There would be no point to call for Ben's head....lol

I understand it's a legit question, and I'm giving my point of view on it. I think that Redman will be fine in the playoffs. I like Redman and the way he plays, always have, and this is the first time that he's done anything wrong really. I think we just all need to step back and assess the situation. Like I said, he fumbled in a meaningless game, and I almost consider that a good thing. Now he knows he has to hang on to the ball or his *** is grass. But while I'm saying that..let me just say that I can't think of any RB in the league who wouldn't fumble that ball after being popped the way that Redman was on his first fumble.

I wasn't comparing Ben to Redman..I was comparing the situations. Ben comes back for his first game after his superbowl appearance in a big game against the Ravens, and completely screws the pooch. Most people's response to that is "it's just rust. He'll get over it." Ok, well maybe we should do the same for Redman. He WILL improve every game that he plays as long as he's the starter. I promise.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I understand it's a legit question, and I'm giving my point of view on it. I think that Redman will be fine in the playoffs. I like Redman and the way he plays, always have, and this is the first time that he's done anything wrong really. I think we just all need to step back and assess the situation. Like I said, he fumbled in a meaningless game, and I almost consider that a good thing. Now he knows he has to hang on to the ball or his *** is grass. But while I'm saying that..let me just say that I can't think of any RB in the league who could fumble that ball after being popped the way that Redman was on his first fumble.

I wasn't comparing Ben to Redman..I was comparing the situations. Ben comes back for his first game after his superbowl appearance in a big game against the Ravens, and completely screws the pooch. Most people's response to that is "it's just rust. He'll get over it." Ok, well maybe we should do the same for Redman. He WILL improve every game that he plays as long as he's the starter. I promise.

I like Issac Redman as well....I always root hard for players who were not drafted to make it in the league....Big reason I liked Willie Parker......The game didn't become meaningless though until it was clear the Ravens were going to beat the Bengals late in the game.....I'll give you the first fumble and it was a good shot Redman took....But the 2nd one shouldn't have happened......Those kind of mistakes are magnified in the play-offs.......

First Ravens game the entire team screwed the pooch.....Most of those turn overs came after the game was out of hand and the Ravens defense was just a pack of wild dogs looking for blood......

Clevelandsux
01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
redman had 92 yards and a td. but two fumbles which almost cost us the game.not a big mendenhall fan,but he's our starter. im interested in what dwyer can do.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
redman had 92 yards and a td. but two fumbles which almost cost us the game.not a big mendenhall fan,but he's our starter. im interested in what dwyer can do.

Dwyer is on IR...have to wait to next year.....Its Redman and Clay at this point...I'm sure they will sign another RB......

steelchamp204
01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
I have faith in both backs. They both are punishing backs who can wear down a defense if they can find the holes and gets good yards. I have faith in them. Now for our passing game. I do not have faith in. This 13 point game and the niners game have me worried about our offense. I know Ben is hurt but still

Steelers guy
01-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I am more worried about the o line than the running backs.

jnes1216
01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I am more worried about the o line than the running backs.

I agree. I like Redman and believe the fumbles will be addressed this week in practice. Hopefully Redman or Moore will do well in pass blocking to stop Von Miller, Dumervil, and Ayers.

Danger DANJ
01-03-2012, 03:38 AM

Saying that I'm worried about Redman doesn't mean I want anyone else in there or that I don't like Redman. I've always thought he deserved a couple more carries per game. I'm just saying... Both fumbles were in the 4th quarter and could be signs of fatigue from a full workload that he isn't used to. To be honest though, I'm more worried about Arians trying to throw the ball too much with a hobbled Ben and him coughing up the ball.

StillersSound
01-03-2012, 04:13 AM
They have a chance to play themselves into a starting role, I hope the pressure isn't too much. Depending on their play Mendy should be gone at the end of the season.

From Mendy's track record, last year and first half of this season. He turned it up at the end but I rather take my chances with Redman. Mendy dancing in the hole and fumble problems. Redman is a perfect back for playoff football and he messed up last week so they can address that all this week. It won't be the running backs faults this year if they lose... It will be either BA, the o-line, or D letting up a last minute drive.

LatrobePA
01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Mendy put wear and tear on his knees all season, he runs full tilt then stops at the line 99% of the time to make a cut or to dance around and be dropped for a loss..

K Train
01-03-2012, 10:20 AM
this is a nightmare at RB....the steelers are probably gonna chuck it 40 times a game from here on out but not having a legit running threat is gonna make that more difficult.

zero faith in redman to be a full time back, even less after 2 fumbles once the weather gets a little cold. it could be a short preseason, they WILL be tebow though lol

mikebb
01-03-2012, 11:08 AM
k train- im starting to see some of ur posts- and thne more i do- the less i feel like you know what ur talking about. the steelers rb situation is about 5th on the priority/concern list for this team right now. the steelers will lose to the pats or ravens- and steelers rb will have had very little to do with it.

K Train
01-03-2012, 11:18 AM
k train- im starting to see some of ur posts- and thne more i do- the less i feel like you know what ur talking about. the steelers rb situation is about 5th on the priority/concern list for this team right now. the steelers will lose to the pats or ravens- and steelers rb will have had very little to do with it.

lol please explain....we know arians wants to throw the ball, which has been good so far but with misfits blocking, an injured ben, cold weather, and backup RBs carrying the load on the ground im not so sure.

redman is terrible, clay is a bruiser but still so much unknown about him...just wouldnt trust either guy as a starting RB...i like the role redman played fine enough, him as a full time back is scary to me though...seriously not the answer.

did something happen to dwyer? anyone know?

coldrolled
01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Dwyer was a Hamstring that wasnt healing right?

Redman will be fine. We need to use our 2 TE's more.