PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Steelers Offseason - Free Agents, Salary Cap

Zachintosh66
01-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Steelers | Expected to be over cap

2012 Steelers Free Agency (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/steelers-free-agency-2012/)

2012 Steelers Salary Cap
(http://www.steeleraddicts.com/steelers-salary-cap-for-2012/)
2012 Projected Player Salaries (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2012, 04:28 PM
This is something we can really dive into as the post season gets under way and then really hit it in the offseason.

Initially the obvious one they will look to lock up will be Mike Wallace. They will tender him the highest possible tender and then have the right to match any offer he's given if they can't lock him up before free agency starts.

Ramon Foster will be a keeper. He's shown he can play well at RG and has picked up that position and run with it all year since he was inserted into the lineup.

nuclearchihuahuas
01-01-2012, 08:35 PM
please explain 'exclusive rights' for those of us who don't speak contract. I understand FA, and restricted FA, but not exclusive rights.

I think we could lose:

Over 30
Mcfadden
Battle
Foote
Hampton
Ward
Farrior
Batch
Smith - only because he keeps getting hurt--too retire?

Looks like both Wallace and Brown are due for new contracts...should be interesting

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2012, 09:15 PM
An Exclusive-Rights Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only two years of NFL experience. If his former club makes him an offer at the three year veteran minimum salary, then that's it, he has to take it or leave the NFL. These guys have no right to negotiate with other teams. They are "free" only in the sense that they're free to quit.

A good reference point here. (http://football.calsci.com/FreeAgency.html)

Callax
01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Here is what I believe the Stillers will do:

FA List (Accurate?)

Charlie Batch (PIT) released
Dennis Dixon (PIT) #3 for 1 more year then that's it
Byron Leftwich (PIT) new backup
Mewelde Moore (PIT) if Byron Batch is healthy and shows anything in camp MM gone
Mike Wallace (PIT) Restricted Highest RFA offer (1st rd tender)
Jericho Cotchery (PIT) resigned as 3rd down/slot wr
David Johnson (PIT) Restricted resigned
Trai Essex (PIT) fringe keeper
Max Starks (PIT) resigned until a Better tackle is drafted
Dorian Brooks (PIT) Exclusive Rights resign cheap
Ramon Foster (PIT) Restricted 1 yr tender offer
Chris Hoke (PIT) not resigned
Aaron Smith (PIT) released/ not resigned injury prone or resign for league minimum
Steve McLendon (PIT) Exclusive Rights keeper
Keenan Lewis (PIT) Restricted ALWAYS plays off too far; brown and allen will replace him
William Gay (PIT) resigned (can't believe I wrote that)
Added to list Kemoautu released too much of a headcase

Over 30
Mcfadden released, now a ST player at best
Troy keeper for a few more years some gas still n the tank
Battle fringe ST player could be cut maybe resigned
Foote unless Sylvester is ready to replace resign
Ike keeping for another 4 years, resigned earlier this year
Clark playing well need to have replacement ready in the next 2 years
Harrison 3 years left playing well
Keisel playing well will have depth with ziggy and heyward need to draft for future
Hampton not playing as well as before next year will be last year
Ward redo contract or will be cut (SUX)
Farrior need to get ready for future without him look to draft replacement
Batch gone.....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
It will be interesting to see if Batch sticks around again. It's a safe bet that Dennis Dixon will be gone so they will probably keep Charlie around for another year. I wish Leftwich could just stay healthy. He won't garner much in the free agent market so the Steelers should be able to keep him if they want.

Running back will be interesting too. Jonathan Dwyer was the beneficiary of the Baron Batch injury in training camp. That should be an awesome battle next year.

Zachintosh66
01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
glancing over the roster after being tebow'd... theres a good 10-12 players (mostly older) that could be purged out...

what im trying to say nicely: cut em! in with the new blood...

Bradshaw22
01-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the board but a diehard fan since the late 70's (I'm 41 now). I told some friends of mine to not underestimate Tebow and it looks like our Steelers did just that.

All of that being said, it will be an interesting off season. My team needs would be as follows:

OL: This patchwork line is killing Ben. He can only take so much abuse. I'd love to see us target 2-3 guys in the draft.
DB: It's obvious to me that aside from Ike, and he's not elite, that William Gay is NOT the answer. We need a high pick on this position.
DL: We simply need to get younger in there. Hood and Heyword will be good but we need some youth there.

On to next year!

greg1964
01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
FA List (Accurate?)
Charlie Batch (PIT) Done: Love him but it time
Dennis Dixon (PIT) Never Ben: He wants to start, and that will not happen in PGH
Byron Leftwich (PIT) Resign, and pray he can stay healthy
Mewelde Moore (PIT) Done: With Batch, Dwyer, and others.
Mike Wallace (PIT) Restricted: offer 1st tender, that sign to a long term deal
Jericho Cotchery (PIT) I would like him back IF Hines retires, but if I'm not getting of Hines to keep Cotchety
David Johnson (PIT) Restricted: Keep if the OC stay the same, but Heath and Saunder are top two TE
Trai Essex (PIT) Depending on if Leguskhy resigns: a serviceable guard/center
Max Starks (PIT) Depending on health and who they draft, serviceable, but not All-Pro
Dorian Brooks (PIT) Exclusive Rights: Let go:
Ramon Foster (PIT) Restricted: I like Foster as a RG, the LG is the bigger hole.
Chris Hoke (PIT) Since Hampton has a torn ACL, And McLendon is young, Resign Hoke and Let Hampton go.
Aaron Smith (PIT) One of my favor Steelers of all time, but it time to go.
Steve McLendon (PIT) Exclusive Rights: Sign to a long term deal NT of the future.
Keenan Lewis (PIT) Restricted: the battle is between Lewis and Gay, with Brown and Allen younger/cheaper, one will not be back. Let's see who prices themselves out of the market. But if I had to choose, I keep Lewis and let Gay walk.
William Gay (PIT): See comment above.

Over 30
Mcfadden: Welcome back, abut it time to cut bate
Troy: Just sign a four year deal, he isn't going anywhere.
Battle Gone
Foote:It's either Foote or Farrior, I keep Farrior
Ike: Just sign long term deal
Clark: I wonder how that game turn out if Clark would have played.
Harrison: he isn't going anywhere.
Keisel: he isn't going anywhere
Hampton: With a torn ACL and his weight: it may be time to say goodby BIG SNACK
Ward: It sound like he is willing to except a reduce role, so I say keep him. and a reduce price
Farrior: Keep him for one more years
Batch: It's time to get younger: BUT he the best

Nolrog
01-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Here is what I believe the Stillers will do:

Max Starks (PIT) resigned until a Better tackle is drafted
Hampton not playing as well as before next year will be last year

I thought Starks and Hampton both tore ACLs in the Denver game. If that's true, they'll both be gone. That's a 10ish month recovery, maybe longer for those guys because of their bulk. Plus, they won't be able to do any working out or anything to prepare for the season, so they'll come in heavy and way out of shape.

Troyisabeast_43
01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
We heard this at the start of the season with the new contract signing of Lamar Woodley, Ike Taylor and a few others that the Steelers were going to be 20 million or so over the cap. With that being said, a lot of the older guys on the team such as Hampton,Smith,and Hines are either going to have to take big big paycuts so that younger up and coming talent can be resigned or they are just going to have to be flat our released. The Steelers and Tomlin and Colbert need to seriously for the first time in a long time take a strong look into free agency and signing a left tackle or someone who is going to be worth paying and bring them in here to help protect Ben and this offensive line. This o-line debacle each and every season is getting old and tiresome and it's high time the Steelers address it and do it in a big big way for a change because if they dont Ben Roethilsberger is going to continue to get banged around and be injured more often then not...

SteelCurtainYinzer
01-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Ward has already said that he wants to play one more year. He has said this since last year. He is willing to take much less to play one more year. I believe that Ward was not only hurt last year with a neck and shoulder injury but he was hurt this year worse than we were led on to believe. I think his ankle was probably hurt fairly bad, enough that he wasn't able to get the push at the line of scrimmage to do his normal crossing routes.
If he can come back healthy and puts in the work, I think the Steelers would be willing to resign him. The question is, does Ben want him back. I think there is still some issues, unresolved, stemming from last year and the entire Georgia issue.
This team needs to get back to being a team and those who are not willing to be part of it should go.
I think Batch has one more year left.

Number99
02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Willie Colon restructured....saves 2.85mil on cap per Ed Bouchette on Twitter

connecticutsteel
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
The key to our success next year is suring up the o-line