PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey & Gilbert expected to return against Browns

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2011, 09:17 PM
This is good news, mainly that Pouncey says he's pain free so hopefully this weekend doesn't set him back at all. Having him back is key because Legursky is out with that shoulder injury. That will put either Kemoeatu or Essex back at LG on Sunday. If you recall, Kemoeatu had probably his best game of the season so far, last week against the Rams.

As far as Gilbert goes, if he learned his lesson and got the message then it was worth it. The Steelers didn't need him last weekend and J. Scott played pretty well. Plus if was in need of learning a lesson, better to get it out of the way now than in years to come.

The Steelers could welcome back two offensive line starters (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_774094.html#ixzz1hyYnNg57) this week as Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey and right tackle Marcus Gilbert said they expect to play against the Browns.

Pouncey, named a Pro Bowl starter Tuesday, has missed the last two games with a high-ankle sprain. He went through a full practice Wednesday. Pouncey had said earlier in the day that he is "pain-free," and the timing of his return couldn't be better for the Steelers. Doug Legursky, who has filled in at center for Pouncey, is expected to miss Sunday's regular-season finale in Cleveland because of a shoulder injury.

Gilbert dealt with a different kind of pain last Saturday: watching most of the Steelers' 27-0 win over St. Louis after landing in coach Mike Tomlin's doghouse. Gilbert had missed a team meeting prior to the Rams' game, and Tomlin benched the rookie.
"I got the message," Gilbert said.

Gilbert said he will be back at right tackle after watching Jonathan Scott play there for most of the game last Saturday.

"It was the worst feeling ever," Gilbert said. "You're used to playing a game you love every week, and you screw up one week, and then you're sitting down, and you kind of feel like you let your teammates down."

steelersbabex25
12-29-2011, 09:31 PM
That is some awesome news right there.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2011, 09:35 PM
No doubt, if Pouncey doesn't go and Gilbert is deemed ready to return by Tomlin then you have Essex at Center, Kemoeatu at RG and virtually no depth behind them other than J. Scott. If Essex were to go down he'd have to play Center. Ugh, we've had enough musical chairs on the line already, getting these guys back is huge.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2011, 02:47 AM
Maurkice Pouncey will play Sunday against Cleveland, while Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu likely are to join him in the starting lineup for the regular-season finale.
(http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_774382.html#ixzz1i5mqvvdn)
Pouncey (ankle) went through a full practice for a third consecutive day Friday and said he will start against the Browns.

"I know for a fact that I am playing," Pouncey said.

Roethlisberger worked through his third consecutive day of practice without any complications from a high ankle sprain and is expected to start Sunday. However, he wouldn't confirm his status after practice yesterday.

"I don't know," Roethlisberger said. "We'll see. Go ask Mike Tomlin."
Polamalu (knee) practiced yesterday for the first time this week, indicating that he also will start Sunday.

Those three, along with linebacker James Harrison (neck), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and Mike Wallace (ankle), are listed as probable on the injury report.
Running back Mewelde Moore (knee) and guard Doug Legursky (shoulder) have been ruled out. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is listed as doubtful and is unlikely to play.

Ben is probable, which means he's going to play. Tomlin has to really let on how much he will play though. If the game is a blowout, like we'd get that lucky, then Ben will be gone by halftime I'm sure.