PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Steeler rookie of the year

connecticutsteel
12-29-2011, 09:42 AM
My vote for team rookie of the year is Wes Saunders offense.
Cam Heyward Defense
Special Teams Curtis Brown
A case can be made for Marcus Gilbert for Steelers ORY but he was demoted last week due to his lackluster preparation:imho:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I think Marcus Gilbert is the odds on favorite. He's had the most playing time of the rookies and has gotten increasingly better as the year has gone on. Yeah he was disciplined last week, and I'm sure he'll learn from it. Sometimes players just need a wake up call and "brought back down to earth" when they get a little too cocky or show up late for meetings.

LatrobePA
12-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Has got to be Gilbert...

K Train
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM
gilbert.....but damn saunders blocks his *** off, i cant wait to see him used more when arians finally goes away

connecticutsteel
12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
I think it's closer than you think Saunders may not show up in the box score to often he has been a solid performer.It's hard to believe that Wes is only 25 pounds lighter than Cam Heyward that a big target hopefully he will explode in the playoffs. I think he would have caught that ball that Spaeth dropped in the endzone in the super bowl.Gilbert has had too many mediocre games IMO.

K Train
12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
I think it's closer than you think Saunders may not show up in the box score to often he has been a solid performer.It's hard to believe that Wes is only 25 pounds lighter than Cam Heyward that a big target hopefully he will explode in the playoffs. I think he would have caught that ball that Spaeth dropped in the endzone in the super bowl.Gilbert has had too many mediocre games IMO.

gilbert and heyward dont show up on the box score either lol....

gilbert has had an up and down year but hes hands down a better option than scott and hes playing with a TON of less than mediocre talent on that line....it was an uphill battle from day one and i like what hes done

connecticutsteel
12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I know that they all don't show up on the box score i only said that cause he is an offensive player (NONlineman)

Zachintosh66
12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Gilbert or Brown. Wes has what 6 catches maybe

steelersbabex25
12-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Much different this year than last..not really any lights out rookies like there were last year. But gotta go with the majority and say Gilbert. He's really the only one you can make a case for.

connecticutsteel
12-29-2011, 02:40 PM
My primary point is Gilbert is a second round pick so he's doing what's exxxpected saunders is udfa who balled out to make the team

acero
12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Gilbert or Brown. Wes has what 6 catches maybe

brown is a second year veteran, not a rookie

coldrolled
12-30-2011, 08:27 AM
gilbert.....but damn saunders blocks his *** off, i cant wait to see him used more when arians finally goes away

i cant wait to see our whole offense play when that happens. :yellowthumb:

Gilbert for sure.

UKSTEELER
12-30-2011, 10:11 AM
brown is a second year veteran, not a rookie

I think he means Curtis. He's performed very well on ST, as has Cortez Allen - if these guys coverage can match their tackling skills we've got ourselves a good tandem.

Saunders has shown glimpsies, unfotunatly with Arians at the helm and Heath still making plays, will he achieve with us?

Heyward has done what was expected and should be good, let's hope great?

Gilbert wins, he was thrown to the lions, and as of late(last week apart) he looks like he's been playing there for years. Good job and room for improvement.

Go Steelers:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2011, 10:23 PM
If Gilbert didn't get the rookie of the year it probably would have been Cortez Allen that got it. You would hope that your first round pick, Cam Heyward would usually take this award but playing on the DL in the 34 defense under Lebeau is not an easy task. Plus he's playing behind established veterans and only getting so many snaps per game.