PDA

View Full Version : Steelers pro bowl snubs?

CowherPower
12-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey guys and gals, I was looking at the pro bowl rosters for this year and of course the Steelers are sending 5 players, 3 as starters.

I think though there are several players who you could make a serious case for but did not get enough votes to make it.

Ryan Clark - Having one of his best years to date. Especially the 2nd half of the season he's been playing very well. He's making the sure tackles, breaking up passes, and overall doing a very good job playing opposite Polamalu.

Brett Keisel - 45 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble. Very good stats for a defensive lineman in a Steelers defense. They don't typically get much recognition because they do the dirty work to allow others to make the plays. Keisel though has been a force all year, and even when he doesn't make the tackle he's regularly in the backfield blowing up plays.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2011, 10:49 PM
I think Keisel has to make it sooner or later. He's been a force for our defensive line this year big time.

Clark I'd probably agree with as well but with Troy making it and also Ed Reed there isnt much room for more Safeties. He could make still when guys start dropping out later on.

I know he came on after the year started but Max Starks would get an honorable mention in my book.

jnes1216
12-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I think we all believe Ike Taylor got snubbed this year. He has done a great job imho. I agree with Kiesel, he has played very well, but not enough to overcome Ngata and Wilfork. I think Ike played better than Champ.

Thisoneguy555
12-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Taylor didn't get snubbed, there were better corners than him who didn't make it, so I'm not disappointed he didn't make it.

Kiesel will never be voted to the pro bowl because he's a 3-4 defensive end who doesn't get sacks. But he will be an alternate this season like he was last season. Mark my words, he will be in the pro bowl against this season when a couple of those guys call off.

LatrobePA
12-29-2011, 12:21 AM
shaun suisham, hahahahahahahahaa

jnes1216
12-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Taylor didn't get snubbed, there were better corners than him who didn't make it, so I'm not disappointed he didn't make it.

Kiesel will never be voted to the pro bowl because he's a 3-4 defensive end who doesn't get sacks. But he will be an alternate this season like he was last season. Mark my words, he will be in the pro bowl against this season when a couple of those guys call off.

Just out of curiosity, what corners played better in your opinion?

Thisoneguy555
12-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Just out of curiosity, what corners played better in your opinion?

Brandon Flowers and Lardarius Webb are playing better. Taylor has not played as well as his numbers indicate in my opinion. He may not have let up a lot of touchdowns, but if you go back and watch games, there were a lot of times where he let a receiver wide open in the endzone but the ball was dropped or overthrown.

He's lucky to even be a pro bowl alternate.

jnes1216
12-29-2011, 02:46 AM
Brandon Flowers and Lardarius Webb are playing better. Taylor has not played as well as his numbers indicate in my opinion. He may not have let up a lot of touchdowns, but if you go back and watch games, there were a lot of times where he let a receiver wide open in the endzone but the ball was dropped or overthrown.

I guess I'm surprised by your Webb pick. Taylor imo has outperformed Webb, and i'm not biased. Flowers has played well, with E. Berry out. I just think Taylor has played better in leading the NFL's best pass defense.

Blazedby92
12-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Hopefully we won't have to worry about the Pro Bowl, don't care to watch it anyways,

Nolrog
12-29-2011, 08:30 AM
It's interesting that the NFL's top rated defense (YPG, second in PPG) could only field one pro bowler.

steelersbabex25
12-29-2011, 12:33 PM

A corner is not one of those positions that you can say is better or worse than numbers indicate. What the numbers indicate is pretty accurate as to how well a corner is doing. If you shut out a teams best WR or hold them to one or two catches...then you did just that. Leaving a receiver every once in a while is not a reason as to why he shouldnt be voted into the probowl. Every corner does that.

Also..Webb better than Taylor? Laughable. Not even close.

connecticutsteel
12-29-2011, 02:46 PM

I'll have a pound of what ever your smokin Webb better than Taylor

mikebb
12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
the pro bowl has zero credibility & should be eliminated. players who deserve recognition are left off, and ones who dont deserve recognition get on. its a joke really. and its gotten worse over the years with players dropping out, and now the silly thing where its played before sb. that said- its not even worth a discussion in the context of "pro bowl". instead- i recognize who has performed, and who hasnt.

ben, brown and kiesel are a few of the best in the league. wallace is left off bc hes an incomplete receiver. troy- not the same player, but MAYBE hes still one of the best for the things hes doing on this defense- some great tackles, etc.

here are a couple dishonorable mentions for the steelers this year: heath miller- drops, fumbles and penalties. kemo- needs to be cut.

non-head coach of the year- carnell lake

steelersbabex25
12-29-2011, 03:20 PM
here are a couple dishonorable mentions for the steelers this year: heath miller- drops, fumbles and penalties.

:rolleyes:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Ike uses stuff like this to fuel his fire to be the best he can be. He knows he has the respect of his teammates and coaches and that's good enough for him.

You know that he would like to get the honor of the pro bowl at some point before he retires though.

Ike Taylor might not be making the trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_774104.html#ixzz1hx8pulpy), but he could be in store for a much bigger honor Thursday, especially if Ryan Clark has anything to say about it.

Taylor could be the first Steelers cornerback in nearly 20 years to be voted as the team MVP mostly because he is deserving, and partly to make a point.
"I already said that he has my vote," Clark said. "I told my wife two days ago that's who I'm voting for. As far as I am concerned, he is one of the best corners in the league."

If the Steelers decide to make a statement by voting Taylor team MVP, it wouldn't be the first.

They did such in 2005 when Casey Hampton was left off the Pro Bowl team despite having one of the best years of his career. The team voted him as co-MVP along with Hines Ward. Hampton later was added to the Pro Bowl when Richard Seymour dropped out.

"I guess we will have to see," linebacker James Harrison said, who won the team MVP award in 2007 and '08.

Taylor is enjoying one of his best seasons despite having only two interceptions.
Taylor rarely has been targeted (98 times), and when he has, he hasn't allowed many receptions (41-472). More often than not, Taylor follows the other team's best receiver all over the field. He gave up only two touchdown receptions all season.
"How can the No. 1 corner on the No. 1 secondary in the NFL who is matching up against the No. 1 receiver ... you can't say No. 1 that many times and not get a guy to go to the Pro Bowl," Clark said.

Taylor held Wes Welker to four catches; Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and Brandon Lloyd to three; and Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Bowe to one but still were relegated as a third alternate for the Pro Bowl.

"I didn't get in, that's all," Taylor said. "Obviously, I am not doing enough. I am going to continue to ask coach to put me on the team's best receiver. My teammates, my coaches, they know what I can do."

Darrelle Revis, Champ Bailey and Johnathan Joseph were selected ahead of Taylor, as well as two alternates.

"No question that is one of my goals, for sure," Taylor said. "I am going to keep fighting until they tell me to put the cleats up."

Thisoneguy555
12-29-2011, 04:28 PM
A corner is not one of those positions that you can say is better or worse than numbers indicate. What the numbers indicate is pretty accurate as to how well a corner is doing. If you shut out a teams best WR or hold them to one or two catches...then you did just that. Leaving a receiver every once in a while is not a reason as to why he shouldnt be voted into the probowl. Every corner does that.

Also..Webb better than Taylor? Laughable. Not even close.

Webb doesn't leave receivers wide open in the endzone. He may have let up more receptions and more touchdowns, but he hasn't put himself in a position to cost his team the game. Taylor is lucky, just go look at the games. For 95% of the game he plays very well, but he has to be one of the bottom defensive backs when it comes to defending in the redzone. Gay might suck, but he doesn't let his receiver WIDE OPEN in the endzone. Taylor will be the downfall for this team in the playoffs, just watch.

I don't know how more clear I can get.

steelersbabex25
12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Webb doesn't leave receivers wide open in the endzone. He may have let up more receptions and more touchdowns, but he hasn't put himself in a position to cost his team the game. Taylor is lucky, just go look at the games. For 95% of the game he plays very well, but he has to be one of the bottom defensive backs when it comes to defending in the redzone. Gay might suck, but he doesn't let his receiver WIDE OPEN in the endzone. Taylor will be the downfall for this team in the playoffs, just watch.

BNsrK6P9QvI

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2011, 10:47 AM
I'll take the occasional screw up by Ike Taylor any day if you give me all the passes he defenses or the QB's that don't look his way because his target is blanketed.

He may not be the best in the NFL, that is up for debate between many names but based on how well he's played over the years he certainly deserves to be an alternate at least.

JensK
12-30-2011, 01:01 PM

I could show you games where the likes of Revis and Nnamdi gets burned in the end-zone. All CB will screw up at times as the position is so damn hard to play. Ike has been rock-solid all year imo.

MattyVfromCT
12-30-2011, 05:16 PM

interesting. "revis-island" left stevie johnson WIDE OPEN in the endzone during the bills game bum the bum dropped what would have been a game winning td, just like he did last year against us in OT. and really dude? you want to build up webb? WEBB WAS THE STIFF WHO WAS BURNED FOR A 58 YARD PASS FROM BEN TO AB ON 3RD AND 19 IN THE DIVISIONAL ROUND LAST YEAR THAT SET UP MENDY'S GAME WINNING TD. you know, PUTTING HIMSELF IN A POSITION TO COST HIS TEAM THE GAME. EVERY CB who's ever played gets burned. not just ike. and you really need to seek professional help if you think webb is better than ike...........

--- Added 12/30/2011 at 03:16 PM ---

I could show you games where the likes of Revis and Nnamdi gets burned in the end-zone. All CB will screw up at times as the position is so damn hard to play. Ike has been rock-solid all year imo.

thank you! and especially in this day and age with all the rules that ridiculously favor qb's and receivers.......

connecticutsteel
12-30-2011, 08:52 PM
interesting. "revis-island" left stevie johnson WIDE OPEN in the endzone during the bills game bum the bum dropped what would have been a game winning td, just like he did last year against us in OT. and really dude? you want to build up webb? WEBB WAS THE STIFF WHO WAS BURNED FOR A 58 YARD PASS FROM BEN TO AB ON 3RD AND 19 IN THE DIVISIONAL ROUND LAST YEAR THAT SET UP MENDY'S GAME WINNING TD. you know, PUTTING HIMSELF IN A POSITION TO COST HIS TEAM THE GAME. EVERY CB who's ever played gets burned. not just ike. and you really need to seek professional help if you think webb is better than ike...........

--- Added 12/30/2011 at 03:16 PM ---

thank you! and especially in this day and age with all the rules that ridiculously favor qb's and receivers.......

puff puff pass

Callax
12-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Ike GOT SNUBBED AGAIN...
OUR BEST CORNER AND ALWAYS MAKE LIFE HARD FOR THE OTHER TEAM'S BEST WR!!

CROCK CROCK CROCK!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Unless Ike can somehow manage to pick himself up 7-10 INT's in a season he's probably not going to make it anytime soon. There's too many corners in the league with better stats. Honestly I think Ike is as good most any corner in the league but he just doesn't get the picks like others do and unfortunately that's what most people look at.

SteelersWoman
01-02-2012, 07:27 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/10/25/2510399/pittsburgh-steelers-pass-defense-ike-taylor

Ike Taylor: Shut-down Corner, Extraordinaire

by: Anthony Defeo

.....A couple of weeks ago, during the Steelers impressive win over the Titans (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/tennessee-titans), CBS color commentator Dan Dierdorf remarked over and over again about how Titans' quarterback Matt Hasselbeck (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2306/matt-hasselbeck) hadn't so much as looked in Taylor's direction the entire day. Dierdorf even wondered if Taylor would even have to have his uniform washed after the game.
That's when it hit me. Ike Taylor has turned himself into a shutdown cornerback at the age of 31. How many guys can say that? You look in the box score following most Steelers games this year, and you'd be lucky to see even one "pass defensed" by Ike Taylor. And it's not because he's getting scorched, it's because he's covering his man so well, there is simply no point in trying to throw it in his direction.....

This is a small bit--I enjoyed the whole story :yesnod:

Clevelandsux
01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Ya funny that of all people, keomatu made it as an alternate.

Danger DANJ
01-03-2012, 03:13 AM
Ike Taylor should have been at least an alternate. He only let up 2 TDs. Yes, one of them he let his guy get wide open after getting turned around, but when were the others? Seeing that he only let up 2, there are no others. I think Ike would have had a couple more interceptions but remember he played a lot of games with a cast on his hand. He has stone hands as it is... a club for a hand just makes things worse.

As for Kemo... He isn't the best LG in the NFL but he is the best LG on the team when he is healthy. And that's the thing... He got hurt and played hurt for a few games. That's when he started playing bad and got benched. I'm hoping he's healthy now. He may not be great at pass protection but he is a mauler in the run game. His run blocking against the Browns was very good and almost looked like his old self. We will need him to run the ball in the playoffs with Ben still hobbled.

KSSteelerfan
01-03-2012, 08:40 AM

There is no might too it...Gay does suck....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Gay certainly isn't worthy of a pro bowl just yet, but it just goes to show anything can happen with Kemoeatu gets an alternate spot in the pro bowl.

You do have to credit Will Gay though, up until this past Sunday when he was beaten a few times he's been solid the majority of the season. He does have issues against the Ravens though, we've seen that first hand.