PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Tomlin, December 27, 2011

LatrobePA
12-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Tuesday with Tomlin

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that there's a good chance Ben Roethlisberger, Maurkice Pouncey, LaMarr Woodley and Emmanuel Sanders will suit up and play in the team's critical game at Cleveland on Sunday.

Tomlin said the the foursome practices this week, they'll play, which would be a boost for the Steelers, who need a win over Cleveland and a loss by Baltimore at Cincinnati to clinch the AFC North title and No. 2 seed in the playoffs.

Tomlin said he expects Pouncey, Woodley and Sanders to practice on Wednesday, but would not commit to Roethlisberger doing so.

Doug Legursky and Mewelde Moore were the only two players declared out against the Browns.

If Trai Essex starts at left guard as expected, the Steelers would start their eighth different grouping of offensive linemen this season. They started seven different variations in 2010.

Since averaging 3.0 yards per carry in Pittsburgh's first four games, Rashard Mendenhall has averaged 4.4 yards per carry.

That coincides with the team's signing of Max Starks to play left tackle.

Jerome3236
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
A Win by Pittsburgh, and a loss by Baltimore AND New England Would give US the #1 Seed and Home field adv.

LatrobePA
12-27-2011, 03:31 PM
A Win by Pittsburgh, and a loss by Baltimore AND New England Would give US the #1 Seed and Home field adv.

It's worth a shot, though I don't see the Pats losing to the Bills, I can however see the Rats losing in Cinci..

Jerome3236
12-27-2011, 03:47 PM
After what the Bills did to Denver the other day, They're flying high and New England barely beat the Dolphins. These last couple weeks have been very strange. I think anything could happen.

LatrobePA
12-27-2011, 03:50 PM
After what the Bills did to Denver the other day, They're flying high and New England barely beat the Dolphins. These last couple weeks have been very strange. I think anything could happen.

I agree 100%, we shall see...

K Train
12-27-2011, 04:01 PM
id rather let charlie play with the cast he had last week and rest ben and pouncey...even charlie can slay the browns.

ive never wanted the bengals to win so bad, and i think they actually can do it

LatrobePA
12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
id rather let charlie play with the cast he had last week and rest ben and pouncey...even charlie can slay the browns.

I agree 100% and living here in Ohio it's so damn hard to root for the Bengals, but I'll sport my fire patch Dalton jersey if I knew it would help them win! lol

Jerome3236
12-27-2011, 04:11 PM
I've never wanted the Bengals to win so bad either. But with A.J. Green back in,and he's lookin' pretty good. I think Dalton's gonna have a monster day.

K Train
12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
i really think the bengals have the desperation on their side that we need them to have. usually ravens/bengals is pretty good regardless of how good or terrible each team is, so i think that bodes well for us.

i really think charlie could handle the browns though, i dont get the point in playing ben when likely hes gonna have to be ready for WC weekend but best case scenerio we get a bye and everyone shows up a well rested, healthy phenom

ben got hurt against the browns, they wont be shy about playing to hurt him again they have nothing to lose

MattyVfromCT
12-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I agree 100% and living here in Ohio it's so damn hard to root for the Bengals, but I'll sport my fire patch Dalton jersey if I knew it would help them win! lol

Hell, i'd make a video singing that stupid "hear them bengals growling" song if it helped them beat the rats lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Troyisabeast_43
12-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Baltimore is limping pretty badly into this game as well. Boldin is out and will not play and they also lost Williams their starting CB and McClain the LB as well. Plus, keep in mind AJ Green didnot play in that 1st meeting between these 2 teams and Dalton still had a monster day so with him back in there and the Ravens being banged up the Bengals can definitely put up some points and win this game.

The bottom line here is all the Steelers can ask for and wanted to have happen was a chance going into this last game from the time they lost to the Ravens here in Pittsburgh on November 6th and they won enough games between now and then to give them that chance. You wanted to keep winning to force the Ravens to keep winning as well so you can get a scenario like the one the Steelers have going for them Sunday where the Bengals absolutely positively have to win to get into the playoffs and they know they will get in if they get a win and beat the Ravens.

--- Added 12/27/2011 at 02:58 PM ---

That would be great if it did happen but realistically it's way too much to ask for for both the Pats and Ravens to both lose. Not saying it couldnt and wont happen but if I am a betting man I wouldnt put money on it for sure. However, the Pats will have their hands full with the Bills I believe. That wont be a gimmie game by any stretch for the Pats who got damn lucky the other day coming back down 17-0 and beating the Dolphins. Had that score held up all the Steelers would have needed was the Ravens loss to Cincy and a win in Cleveland to get that number 1 seed. But at least there is still a chance going into this weekend to get it which in the end is all you can ask for after 17 weeks of football. The seed would be great but I will more importantly take the bye week and the 2 seed and at least one home playoff game as well.

Nolrog
12-27-2011, 05:20 PM

True. But that's a lot of help to wish for against mediocre opponents. Steelers should focus on their business at hand, which is to prepare for the playoffs themselves and not worry about what anyone else does.

Goodfrom55
12-27-2011, 05:40 PM

I agree Ben should not play the entire game, but he should get a few reps (a quarter of play) as to stave off any rust and timing. Otherwise, it is running back by committee and hopefully the Steelers can come up big on "D" to make this game out of reach by halftime.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2011, 11:11 PM
The Steelers know what's at stake. They will play to win this game. I would bet Tomlin won't let the stadium show the score of the Ravens game while the Steelers are playing either. They don't want the players looking up and losing focus.

LatrobePA
12-27-2011, 11:22 PM
The Steelers know what's at stake. They will play to win this game. I would bet Tomlin won't let the stadium show the score of the Ravens game while the Steelers are playing either. They don't want the players looking up and losing focus.

They're away this game, I'm betting MT will have no say, lol!!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-27-2011, 11:57 PM
If healthy enough then Ben plays........

steelerzion
12-28-2011, 11:39 AM
The rats are losing and we will get the #2 seed

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Listening to some updates today, Ben said his practice went well. He hasn't had any setbacks this week. Rumors from the team are that Tomlin hopes to get Ben about 30 snaps in the game if he's able to go.

Ben Roethlisberger said he is going to try to practice today, and the Steelers quarterback is hopeful of playing Sunday in Cleveland. (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_774007.html#ixzz1htYfQDAG)

"I'd like to play just because I like being out there but I don't know if I necessarily need it," Roethlisberger said today before the Steelers' first practice of the week. "It would be nice to get another week of rest but I would prefer to play."

Roethlisberger is working his way back from a high ankle sprain, and the Steelers held him out of last Saturday's 27-0 win over St. Louis so he could get some extra rest.
The Steelers have already clinched a playoff berth. If they win in Cleveland and Baltimore loses in Cincinnati, they will win the AFC North and get a first-round bye in the playoffs.

If they lose to the Browns or the Ravens beat the Bengals, the Steelers will get a No. 5 seed and play at Denver or Oakland in the first round of the playoffs.
Roethlisberger, who was named to his second Pro Bowl yesterday, walked without a noticeable limp before practice today. He said of his injured left ankle, "I feel like we've gotten a little bit better every day, no setbacks."

In other injury news, Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey said he plans to practice today. Pouncey, who has been out with a high ankle sprain, said he is "pain free" and that he will play against the Browns.

Pouncey, of course, said he would play in San Francisco on Dec. 19, less than a week after sustaining the same injury that kept him out of the Super Bowl last year.
He has since missed two games, and when asked what is different this time when he says he is going to return to action, Pouncey smiled.

"You should believe this one," he said.

elephantman
12-29-2011, 12:59 AM
I am more concerned about the 2 seed than asking for too much for the 1 seed....the bengels can win this game....and if so, it is very possible the (1) Pats and (5) Ravens will play in round 2 to beat each other up while we play 'the leftovers' 3/4 seed...and i would love the Ravens to win as I DO NOT want to go to Foxborough (or even play them at home, I admit Brady scares me)

But we have to win and everyone thinks its a cakewalk in Cleveland....we had our hands full at home with them 4 weeks ago.....we gotta do our job and not worry about the rest....but since were just fans I proly dont need to give a pep talk to Tomlin and the gang, but they may need one after the 'over confident' win against a pathetic team last week

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2011, 10:27 AM
As long as the Steelers enter this game with the right mindset, they should be fine. Ben looks like he'll start now, and then probably be pulled at some point after Halftime.

According to Ken Laird and others at Steelers practice yesterday, Ben was walking around the locker room without a limp, so that's a good sign.

A comment from Ben that reinforces the idea that maybe Ben shouldn't have played so long against the 49ers, " the main thing is that I don't go out and put myself in a position to be a sitting duck at out there".

LatrobePA
12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Sitting something, duck is being kind! He should of been yanked that was stupid!

floodcitygirl
12-29-2011, 12:12 PM
But we have to win and everyone thinks its a cakewalk in Cleveland....we had our hands full at home with them 4 weeks ago.....we gotta do our job and not worry about the rest....I agree.

Just a side note, as most of you know, the only game that sold out in Cincy was the Steeler game this season so their games have been blacked out here. Well, after their win last week the players started begging people to buy seats so that this Raven's game would be televised. It was announced yesterday.....after the front office offered a buy one get one sale... they are officially sold out. :hehheh:
Go Bengals! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2011, 10:27 PM
This is a game where there should be no need to try and get the players psyched up for this game. Even though you are already in the playoffs this is a divisional game, on the road, with a chance still to get the division and improve your seed. If Tomlin doesn't have these guys ready there are serious issues that need to be addressed.

Heading into the playoffs you want to get on a roll, in theory the Steelers should come into Cleveland and completely dismantle them in front of their home town fans.

Mean Linebacker
12-31-2011, 03:51 PM
I swear you can never get anything out of Mike Tomlin. If he tells you nothing it's too much when it comes to the media. At least when Bill Cowher was the coach he'd give you some nuggets to run with here and there, perhaps a hint at how a player is really doing in practice or what happened that caused them to be benched, something!

connecticutsteel
01-01-2012, 05:06 AM
I get that everyone wants to rest guys but is that really giving it your best effort? How bad would it be if the Bengals win and we lose with an able Ben on the sidelines you play everyone look ow bad he looked coming off the bye week he needs his "Innings" FOR timing