PDA

View Full Version : Cotchery or Ward, who has the bigger impact in the post season

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2011, 12:18 AM
A nice little article in the trib about Jerricho Cotchery for the Steelers this season.

Jerricho Cotchery does a lot of things well, but exercising patience isn't among them.

The veteran wide receiver spent the first half of this season waiting and watching from the sidelines. A tender hamstring limited his playing time, thus disrupting his transition into an evolving Steelers offense.

It's not what Cotchery imagined when he signed a free-agent deal with the Steelers only days after Plaxico Burress opted to return to New York instead of Pittsburgh. Realistically, Cotchery accepted the role of trotter opposite the Steelers' thoroughbreds Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

Cotchery appears to have hit his stride just in time as the Steelers (11-4) prepare for their regular-season finale in Cleveland on Sunday - a must-win game to keep their AFC North title hopes alive.

"Initially, I saw all the weapons here which made me think a little bit," Cotchery said. "Once I came for my visit, I realized it's a special place.

"I looked in the mirror and asked, 'What do I see?' I looked like a Steeler. I felt like this was the place to be."

Cotchery envisioned himself as someone quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could lean on, particularly in the red zone. After all, that's where he excelled during his seven-year tenure with the New York Jets. He was a magician in cleats, snaring almost everything within or out of his reach.

"I had the hamstring injury early in the season, so no one was able to see me in action," Cotchery said. "The only time they saw me was in preseason.
"I feel like over course of time, the staff and everybody sees what I have to offer. I had to come in and do my part."

Taking advantage of an injury to Sanders, Cotchery worked himself into the rotation.
Read the rest (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Cotchery%20ready%20when%20the%20Steelers%20need%20 him%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_773680.html#ixzz1hcBC9oxS)

Whether or not Hines gets his 5 more catches on Sunday or not, I have to think that at some point Ben is going to look to him in playoffs to make a big 3rd down play. He always comes through in big games and even this season I don't expect that to change.

I also think Cotchery is going to make some plays, he's got a knack for making clutch 3rd down catches and he caught touchdown pass in the Jets game against the Steelers last year in the playoffs.

These 2 vets will, at least I think, both make a couple key plays in the Steelers post season run.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2011, 01:12 AM
If Sanders is back healthy and along with Cotchery then I really don't expect much from Ward.....

steelersbabex25
12-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Hate to say it, but Cotchery. He is just too clutch.

Callax
12-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Ward still has a little left in the tank... He will make an important play in the playoffs.
Cotchery looks like his replacement next year
He'll be the slot guy in 3 wide sets IF he signs next year

Real Deal Steel
12-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Cotchery could be a red zone monster for us.

pimplydan
12-26-2011, 04:46 PM
You know what ? I cannot get into this talk of no more Hines Ward , he's has done so much as a Steeler I hate to see the end of this era .

Whatever happens after is after , for now he is still number 86 of the steelers and I love to see that number worn by him .

LevonKirkland99
12-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Why not give the guy his 5 catches? I think Ward may not retire this year from the Black & Gold, which may pi$$ off some people on this forum...

--- Added 12/26/2011 at 03:49 PM ---

You know what ? I cannot get into this talk of no more Hines Ward , he's has done so much as a Steeler I hate to see the end of this era .

Whatever happens after is after , for now he is still number 86 of the steelers and I love to see that number worn by him .

Yep, some people quickly forget about the work Hines did....I guess these people have never been in Pittsburgh, just fans from far away.

--- Added 12/26/2011 at 03:50 PM ---

Hate to say it, but Cotchery. He is just too clutch.

Really? let's hear it for Cotchery then...

Dobre Shunka
12-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Cotchery was a great p/u for us, well done but Hines could still be killer in the clutch in a playoff situation.

Nolrog
12-26-2011, 06:39 PM
I'd like to see Hines get those 5 catches this year. But he's dropped pretty far on the depth chart, to 4th, maybe 5th . . . . . .

SteelCityVoice
12-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Hines dropping so far on the depth chart is actually a good thing because the other guys are so freaking good.

My thoughts when the Steelers signed Jerricho Cotchery were that he'd actually have a hard time making the roster given all our talent and I was right.

I think we're going to see some clutch plays out of BOTH Ward and Cotchery in the post season. Would love for the Steelers to get both of them a ring this year.

Goodfrom55
12-27-2011, 08:20 AM
When it gets colder, Ward tends to step up his game. I look for him to be a big contrubutor in the playoffs - as always. Will he catch 8 for 115? No. But when Ben throws him the ball in a clutch 3rd down, I know more often than any other player, except for maybe AB, Hines will come through. His role is limited, but I have all the confidence in the world in Hines.

Regarding the playoffs, its all hands on deck; whoever is called on had better perform - bottom line.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-27-2011, 06:35 PM
If Ward is on the field during the play-offs he will hamper our passing games.....We need the youth with speed on the field more then the savy vet......Wallace, Brown, Sanders all on the field at the same time creates mismatches for defenses....Cotchery can fill Ward's role no problem....Ward is one of all time favorites but I'm not the sentimental type and I'm interested seeing the team which in my opinion the youth gives the Steelers the best chance......Love you Hines but sit your old *** on the bench and stay there....lol

SteelerJay
12-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Cotchery imo will blow up in the playoffs and be a main reason this team advances but not all on him i think wallace and cotchery will be explode in the playoffs, hines will get his looks though aswell as a legit 4th WR

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Last year Ward had a decent season, 59 catches for 755 yds, but really came on in the playoffs. I would agree if he is on the field and making significant contributions then something is wrong with the Steelers offense. Not so much because he can't handle it but because that means other guys aren't doing their jobs. Either way offense is offense, the key is to just win at all costs.

Teams will not be keying on Hines though if he is on the field, they'll be focusing on Brown and Wallace. You'd like to think those guys will be able to handle that pressure but we'll see.

LatrobePA
12-28-2011, 03:12 PM
If Ward is on the field during the play-offs he will hamper our passing games

This exactly!! Let him clean the mud off of the current playmakers cleats..

jnes1216
12-28-2011, 10:21 PM
I think Antonio Brown will have the biggest impact this post season. I think Ward and Jericho will be "about even". Brown just has that sizzle to make the big play. Wallace will be over-undered on coverage to death.

I think Ward has earned the right to be more than other players cleat cleaners though. Ward still makes all the clutch catches and blocks.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Ward hasn't been making to many clutch catches lately.......so sick of hearing about his blocking.....He has rubbed off on all of our young WR's and taught them well.....Of course the young guys are not as good of a blocker as Ward but they do just fine.....Ward is almost about done.....get over it....lol I hope Ward gets his 5 catches quick against the Browns and then he can sit his *** on the bench where he belongs.....Alltime great Steeler yes and one of my favorites but I'm sorry Hines is done.....

SteelerJay
12-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Ward hasn't been making to many clutch catches lately.......so sick of hearing about his blocking.....He has rubbed off on all of our young WR's and taught them well.....Of course the young guys are not as good of a blocker as Ward but they do just fine.....Ward is almost about done.....get over it....lol I hope Ward gets his 5 catches quick against the Browns and then he can sit his *** on the bench where he belongs.....Alltime great Steeler yes and one of my favorites but I'm sorry Hines is done.....

:plus1: in short hines is done atleast as a steeler.

jnes1216
12-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Guess I'm the only one in the old guys corner. He's definitely not a game changer, never was. I don't even think he'll get five more catches against the browns. I just believe he deserves more than a mere passing foot note in some blog about how the Steelers prefer brown and wallace. I love those guys too, they catch the ball and can score from anywhere. I just find it interesting how fans can turn on a dime when the guy who epitomizes the steelers falls from favor. Yet they'll prob. show up at the Bus' HOF induction. Who cares, the steelers are winning right?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Nobody is turning on Hines....He is just a shell of his former self.....Father time catches up with every player......

DIESELMAN
12-29-2011, 06:33 PM
There have been plenty of all-time great Steelers who have contributed as much if not more then Ward. They have all passed on the torch to the younger players and stepped aside. Ward is no longer as big an asset as he once was, he's been dropping passes, not to good in the slot anymore and has no YAC. His time as a full time contributor is over with. Like Danny said, father time catches up to everyone including athletes. No one can predict the down fall of an athlete, I would love to see Hines get his 5 catches but not at the expense of a victory (especially if the Rat turds lose). Ward knows what he can and can't do anymore, being the consummate professional, he will accept the role that he's in now and drive on.

coldrolled
12-30-2011, 07:36 AM
unleash the cotch'n

Mean Linebacker
12-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Both players will show they are still able to get it done even on a team where youth is so obvious at nearly every position. These wily veterans will prove they are still needed.

That being said, I look for Cotchery to really make some key catches in the post season.